Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Mark of Kri

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jul 29, 2002

The Mark of Kri is a mash-up of American artwork styles like Disney and Don Bluth with a combination of Polynesian, Asian, and European cultures, and the kind of over the top, brutal violence of the Conan series, all swirled up into one unique if linear, game.

If this game were re-made/re-booted...

hedinnweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hedinnweis

Which developer do you think would do it justice?

I love Mark of Kri and Rise of Kasai, but the combat was always pretty bad. I loved the stealth bits though.

hedinnweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By hedinnweis

On second thought (just played some) the combat isn't as bad as I remember. It's not as intuitive as newer combat systems though. I'd love a remake of this with more refined stealth and a Batman/Sleepy Dawgs-esque combat system with a focus on Rau's sword.

soul101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By soul101

Some of the best games of that generation. Don't know what dev I'd want to take it, but if they do sign me up!

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@HedinnWeis said:

On second thought (just played some) the combat isn't as bad as I remember. It's not as intuitive as newer combat systems though. I'd love a remake of this with more refined stealth and a Batman/Sleepy Dawgs-esque combat system with a focus on Rau's sword.

I was going to say I thought the combat was quite good, a nice way to handle group combat. But as you say we have made strides there.

I have no idea who should remake it. The art style would be awesome to see though in the modern era. To me it was always like a very violent Disney cartoon.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hatking

The combat was fantastic for the time. I loved that stuff. The stealth bits were great too. I don't think I'd want them to change it to stuff like Sleeping Dogs and Batman, that has been done and is starting to get less unique now. Though, it'd probably certainly have to evolve in some way.

As for who? Well, why not keep it at Sony? How about SCE Santa Monica? They worked on stuff like God of War, so they know how to handle violent combat. They also had a hand in Thatgamecompany's projects, and stuff like Fat Princess, so I think they could knock the style out of the park. They seem like the obvious choice to me.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By myke_tuna

I would say Ninja Theory. Just because its the first studio that came to mind.

hedinnweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hedinnweis

@myketuna said:

I would say Ninja Theory. Just because its the first studio that came to mind.

Honestly, that's what I was thinking too.

I do still want it to look like a really violent Disney cartoon though. I think the visuals are important.

hedinnweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hedinnweis

@HatKing: You can't tell me that really hardcore stealth mingled with Batman-esque melee combat wouldn't be the coolest thing ever. Well I mean you can, that's your opinion, but I really think it would work.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Ben_H

Oh jeez as soon as I saw that name I had a giant nostalgia trip. I never even played the full version but I must have played through the demo a hundred times. They were fun games and the Disney/gore art style was amazing!

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hatking
    @HedinnWeis Don't get me wrong, I love the combat in games like Batman and Sleeping Dogs. I just feel like this deserves something more unique than that. The original was known for its unique combat system, it just seems to me that they should really try something new and unique to 'stay true' to the franchise. Also, obviously keep a cartoony, Disney-esque style.
    hedinnweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hedinnweis

@HatKing: Yeah, but going back to it... It's kind of rough. The whole "spin the right stick to select targets" and then having each target have a different button mapped to them just doesn't hold up very well.

hedinnweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hedinnweis

To everyone: If you were in charge of designing or overseeing the development of the combat system in a new Mark of Kri game, what would you want it to be like? What combat systems from what games would you be influenced by and what combat systems would you avoid?

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By mesoian

@HedinnWeis: Klei

hedinnweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hedinnweis

@Mesoian: As a 2D side scroller?

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JZ

People liked that game?

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By mesoian

@HedinnWeis said:

@Mesoian: As a 2D side scroller?

Perhaps. Or perhaps taking that style and applying some pseudo 3D to it. I think their brand of animation would fit the Mark of Kri series well.

@JZ said:

People liked that game?

People REALLY liked those games. They were quite good for the time.

hedinnweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hedinnweis

@Mesoian: I agree. I could see that working out really well actually.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Raven10

I never played them but the Wiki says they were made by Sony San Diego. That studio still exists so I don't see why they wouldn't continue to make it were they to make a new one.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By oraknabo

The combo of cartoon melee violence and stealth was amazing. I never played the second, but the first seemed like it was planned out to be a much bigger game and they just ran out of time and stuck a cutscene at the end.

Ninja Theory would be an interesting choice. Vigil might be a good one too. It's a longshot, but I'd also say Platinum could pull it off.

My strongest memory from the game is the momentum of swinging the axe. There's something similar in the back of my mind from a more recent game but I can't place it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.