Should we consider this a sleeper hit?

#1 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

So I managed to find this game for $2 at Gamestop along with Rise of Kasai for $3. Seeing as I already have close to 150 PS2 games, I didn't bother waiting on this so I can see some reviews. Cheap is cheap, right? Anyways, I picked these up, brought them home, and checked the reviews. These games have got some pretty good reviews. Especially The Mark of Kri. 

I've been playing PS2 games for so long and I have never heard of these games till now. So, I'm asking the community. Should we consider these games to be sleeper hits? Or was I just late to the party? 

Also, is it worth it to Sony to make another one? 

#2 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I would classify it as one. Along with Enslaved.

#3 Posted by HadesTimes (812 posts) -

Mark of Kri was a great game. I remember playing it a while after it came out and I can remember really enjoying it.

#4 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

I really enjoyed the art they used for story scenes, drawing it out in front of you. That's 2/3 of a great game, the button mashing at the end was a bit of a bummer though. But yeah, it was a good amount of fun. It felt like being an assassin in the Conan/ Beastmaster universe or something.

#5 Posted by chronicsmoke (996 posts) -

This was a great game and sadly was overlooked so yeah id consider this a sleeper hit

#6 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
I really enjoyed the art they used for story scenes, drawing it out in front of you. That's 2/3 of a great game, the button mashing at the end was a bit of a bummer though. But yeah, it was a good amount of fun. It felt like being an assassin in the Conan/ Beastmaster universe or something.
Conan? Beastmaster? Oh God please tell me they're in there.
#7 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3429 posts) -

I just replayed this a few months ago. It's actually really, really amazing. The artwork, storyline, voice acting and gameplay are all top notch. It's a challenging game with varied environments and enemy types. You can stealth most levels or just cut your way through, but the game mob punishes you for this, and it can get to be a grind in the late half of the game. Most levels have a number of secret nooks, and there are lots of combos to discover, and some great finishing moves too. Some of them surprisingly violent, and definitely reminiscent of GoW. There's also something very similar between this combat system and what we got in Batman: AA and now Sleepy Dawgs.

The art panel to to in-game graphics transition is, as said, really awesome.

#8 Posted by Bolt (154 posts) -

I would think so as well, amazing games imho. If I still had a PS2, I would try to find them at my local gamestop. Did you get lucky enough to find them with there cases? I'm a nazi about that stuff lol

#9 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

I think your looking for the term underrated games, not sleeper hits. Sleeper hits are games that didn't have a ton of hype that all of a sudden had a huge popularity jump, like the first Borderlands. It was hard to find that game in stores for a lot of people when it first came out.

#10 Edited by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

You might but I won't

Edit: ive heard good things about it but never experienced it personally

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.