Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Next Big Thing

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Apr 21, 2011

An adventure game following the story of Dan Murray and Liz Allaire as they unravel a mystery filled with action and comedy. It's a spiritual sequel to previous Péndulo Studios game, Hollywood Monsters. It's known in Spain as Hollywood Monsters 2.

The Next Big Thing Demo Now Available!

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#1  Edited By Legend

I've been waiting for this game for a while now. It's a point-and-click adventure game from the makers of the Runaway series. I highly enjoyed all three Runaway games, so I hope this new game would be as good if not better. I'm currently downloading the demo which can be found here:
     http://www.gamershell.com/download_72596.shtml
      http://www.thenextbig-game.com/index.php?rub=news-infos&id=25

Anyone else here who played the Runaway games (or is a fan of adventure games in general) who is looking forward to this?

SonKite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By SonKite
    @Legend:
    I have only played the first game in the Runaway series, but it will be fun to test the demo.
    Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Legend
    @SonKite:  I really liked it. The game's art looks amazing in 1080p. I just had to play it on my HDTV. lol It's also nice to see that Pendulo still have their unique sense of humor. I had a few good laughs playing the demo. It left me wanting to play more which is always a good thing. Can't wait for the full game to be released next week!
    SonKite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SonKite
    @Legend:
    That sounds great, I'll havn't tested the demo yet. 
    Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Venatio

I just looked at the Runaway games and this on Steam and the artwork looks amazing, when can I get the demo on Steam?

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Legend

The game is now available for preorder on Steam for $29.99 and the first two Runaway games are included for free. There is also the Pendulo adventure pack which comes with all three Runaway games and TNBT and costs 49.99.
     http://store.steampowered.com/app/58570/
     http://store.steampowered.com/sub/7838/

@Venatio
    said:

" I just looked at the Runaway games and this on Steam and the artwork looks amazing, when can I get the demo on Steam? "

The demo hasn't been released on Steam yet, but you can download it from the link I posted above.
    SonKite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SonKite

@Legend:
    I've tested the demo, and I really like it. The game has this intresting story of monsters being accepted  in the human society and a pair of persons with a love/hate relationship. And I suppose we'll see Liz dance before the end of the game. And it looks really good on my Samsung screen too.

@Legend said:

"The game is now available for preorder on Steam for $29.99 and the first two Runaway games are included for free. There is also the Pendulo adventure pack which comes with all three Runaway games and TNBT and costs 49.99.

When I look in the steam store it says 39,99 €, for the first two games  (thats about 375 SEK, swedish kronor), and 49,99 € for all three Runaway games. And at the developers site you pay 39,99  €  for only the game.  

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Legend
    @SonKite said:

"@Legend said:

"The game is now available for preorder on Steam for $29.99 and the first two Runaway games are included for free. There is also the Pendulo adventure pack which comes with all three Runaway games and TNBT and costs 49.99.

When I look in the steam store it says 39,99 €, for the first two games  (thats about 375 SEK, swedish kronor), and 49,99 € for all three Runaway games. And at the developers site you pay 39,99  €  for only the game.  

"
    Wow, 39.99€  is around $27 more than the US price. It's still better than the developer's site because it comes with two games, but damn.. why are games so expensive in Europe?
    SonKite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SonKite

@Legend:
    Yeah, it's a big problem for us European Steam customers because Steam has descided to let us pay in our local currencise instead of dollars. I think they implemeted it around late 2008 . When they exchange dollars into euros they do it without any exchange rate so 1 dollar equals 1 euro and for me euros into swedish kroner (SEK). So I'll probably look to Gamersgate which has prices in SEK, when or if it will be there. By the way ,Good old games has their prices in dollars not euros, and they are based in Europe I think. It's a freaking jungle in the new downloadable market.  

Well this old meme says it like it is:

But I think Steam has won, they still change dollars into euros with a = between them.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Legend

The demo is now available on Steam.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By clush

I have written a review for the full game, check it out here if you want.

It's my first review for on GiantBomb, any constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Legend
    @clush said:
    "

I have written a review for the full game, check it out here if you want.

It's my first review for on GiantBomb, any constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.

"
    I see that your review has been featured on the homepage. Congrats! :) Here are my thoughts about your review. I'll post this in the comments as well:

The game is indeed a sequel to Hollywood Monsters, but it's similar to the Final Fantasy games where each game in the series is more of a "spiritual successor" than a direct sequel. I liked how they jumped straight into the story without bothering to waste too much time to introduce the characters. You learn about the characters through observing their actions and interacting with them, which is far more interesting imo.

As for the two difficult puzzles you mentioned, both were frustrating at first, I agree, but when you spend a bit of time to look for the solution, they are not too difficult to solve. I managed to solve them with no need for a guide.  Although, I'm now interested to hear your opinion about adventure games like Machinarium where TNBT's puzzles seem like child's play in comparison. :)

Regarding the visuals, I honestly haven't seen an adventure game that looks as good on my HDTV as this one. Yeah, HD has become standard these days, but we're talking full 1080p HD here and this is an adventure game for the PC. I find it really weird that you think this game offers nothing special visually. Can you name any other adventure game that looks better or even as good as this one?

I'm not sure why the game is more expensive in Europe, but from what I hear most games are expensive there. I bought it for $30 on Steam and it came with the first two Runaway games for free; that's pretty good value if you ask me. I do wish the game was longer, but most adventure games I've played were short (6-9 hours), so I can't say I didn't expect it to be a bit on the short side, too.

This is a good review, overall. Personally, I think the game deserves 4 out of 5 at its current price mainly because it's a bit short as I mentioned, and there were a few elements of the story that I didn't like, but if it ever goes on sale for less than $20 it totally deserves 5 out 5. Keep in mind that this is an adventure game which is a genre of limited appeal, so to people who do enjoy this genre I would say this is an amazing "must-play" game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.