Shouldn't this be under "O" for "Orange Box, The"?

#1 Posted by Doc_Zaius (119 posts) -

just seems like a common way to organize a database/library like this.  I used to help organize one of  the largest music library's in the US and "The" was not an alphabetical category (well, except for "The The")

#2 Posted by BlackWaterCO (1574 posts) -

Oh who gives a damn, mr. english teacher

Stick in the mud

#3 Posted by Doc_Zaius (119 posts) -

people who create databases, dropout.

#4 Posted by Vaxadrin (2297 posts) -

That's something important to consider.  You can't have 5000+ games that all begin with "The" listed under "T".

#5 Posted by Kevin (369 posts) -

I think using O would be more efficient than "The,"  ^states it all up there.

#6 Posted by BlackWaterCO (1574 posts) -

Drop out? Im still going to school

I don't think your doing the database here anyway asswipe

#7 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1913 posts) -

Some databases have it listed as Half-Life 2: The Orange Box.

#8 Posted by Leone (145 posts) -

Speaking specifically about the Orange Box, I believe it is officially "The Orange Box" so if you wanted to incorporate the Half-Life 2: The Orange Box, I'd probably do it as a redirect. In terms of in the database, I'd go with "Orange Box, The" because like people have said above, we don't need a few thousand pages of games that start with "The"

Look at it this way: do you go to T to find The Sims or The Legend of Zelda?

#9 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

I can see where you're going with this, TC. It's something to think about.

#10 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Yeah definately seems like it could do with being changed, too many games starte with "The..." and having them all under T would be a little silly.

#11 Posted by BlackWaterCO (1574 posts) -

It's like when you go to Gamefaqs and goto SNES then look at the Database for games with letter S. Theres like 65 Super games

#12 Posted by Homer (1372 posts) -
BlackWaterCO said:
"Oh who gives a damn, mr. english teacher

Stick in the mud"

I lol'ed.
#13 Posted by Protocol (56 posts) -

Sorry for the "me too!" post, but yes, I agree that databasewise, they should be Orange Box, but only for sorting purposes. Visually it should be The Orange Box, obviously. But I wonder how hard that is to program (you'd have to have it as an Active Sort Filter, I think, because passively you'd have to make an entire new database column for "sorting name" as opposed to "display name", which gets kinda large when you index 22 thousand games, I would think).

#14 Posted by NinjaHunter (972 posts) -
BlackWaterCO said:
"It's like when you go to Gamefaqs and goto SNES then look at the Database for games with letter S. Theres like 65 Super games"
"Super" isn't as common as "the" and also that is a console specific usage of the word. If there was a console named "The" than you would have a point.
#15 Posted by DazbotAthertron (875 posts) -
Doc_Zaius said:
"people who create databases, dropout."
I know this is 9 months old, but Burn!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.