TF2 Updates Coming To 360

#1 Posted by Ubergeist (416 posts) -

Owners of the Xbox 360 version of Team Fortress 2 will be scarfing down sandviches and delivering payloads later this year, as Valve is finally bringing all the updates delivered via Steam to the Xbox Live Marketplace. That means new, class-specific Achievements, new unlockable weapons for the Pyro, Medic and Heavy, new gameplay modes and new maps, all on your Xbox 360.

Valve marketing director Doug Lombardi got that piece of business out of the way just before our latest Left 4 Dead demo, saying that the developer wanted to build up a massive update for Xbox 360 users before delivering. Given that Valve is being forced to charge for the update, they wanted to ensure that 360 owners were getting their money's worth.

So, how much? The price isn't final, but Valve is hoping to go as low as possible, aiming for a ten dollar price tag. Not too shabby. Sorry, PS3 owners, no word on when or if Valve will be giving you the same Team Fortress 2 updates.

#2 Posted by xruntime (1920 posts) -

Will anyone actually buy this, though? I hear the community is dead...

#3 Posted by Tovan (633 posts) -

I find it hilarious that Microsoft is forcing a price on this, when it's absolutely free on steam. Ah well, the 360 community isn't exactly strong in this game, PC dominates it.

#4 Posted by Fosssil (627 posts) -
Ubergeist said:
"The price isn't final, but Valve is hoping to go as low as possible, aiming for a ten dollar price tag. "
Damn, one more reason I wish I had the PC version.

xruntime said:
"Will anyone actually buy this, though? I hear the community is dead..."
It's not entirely dead. I can still find a game pretty easily at any time of the day (save for the early morning hours) when searching for a Quick Match. I tend to stay away from Ranked because of how bad I am at the game, so I can't comment on that, but social games are still pretty abundant. The game obviously doesn't draw in the same number of people as Halo or Call of Duty, but the online is still very much playable given the current community size.
#5 Posted by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

Does TF2 on the Xbox 360 still lag like no fucking tomorrow?
When I played it, the game was borderline broken and incredibly laggy.

#6 Posted by Ubergeist (416 posts) -

Actually the game is still alive on 360. I play every day. I love the PC version too, I just prefer console games.

#7 Posted by Tovan (633 posts) -
Ubergeist said:
"Actually the game is still alive on 360. I play every day. I love the PC version too, I just prefer console games."
Wha... What?
#8 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

It's probably gonna cost $10 because...

A - Microsoft doesn't consider the PC somewhere else (free content somewhere else is supposed to be free on the Marketplace)
B - Microsoft hates free content
C - It doesn't seem like an achievement path, more of a 'here you go' thing

#9 Posted by UpMax (35 posts) -

TeamFortress 2 is 19$ on steam, you will pay 10$ just for the updates ? Just get the pc version..

#10 Posted by roofy (1005 posts) -

kinda figured that an update as big as this would be charged for.
Microsoft wasnt about to pay for all that bandwith to distrobute it out of their own pockets and i doubt valve wanted to cover it either

#11 Posted by Hewkii (190 posts) -

I wonder if it'd be possible to sell a Preorder of sorts so Valve can just ship the rest of the stuff without having to charge people any more.

#12 Posted by Subway (971 posts) -

FINALLY

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.