Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Order: 1886

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 20, 2015

A third-person shooter set in a steampunk-themed alternate timeline, with a dash of the supernatural. Developed by Ready at Dawn Studios for the PlayStation 4.

Are you getting this game?

• 168 results
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Are you getting this game? (754 votes)

Yes, I definitely am! 14%
    Maybe. I'm not sure yet. 34%
    I have no plans to, so as far as I can tell right now, no. 48%
    I have another answer... 6%

I haven't really had any interest in it until relatively recently, or at least my interest has heightened a little. I'm not sure if I'm going to get it. The game looks fantastic visually, and the story and characters could be good, but I'm not sure about the gameplay. I mean, the gameplay looks fun enough, but I'm concerned with how much there is, as it looks like it's relatively linear, but alongside and worse even is it seems like it'll go from gameplay to cutscene in short bursts, where when it adds up, you didn't get to play it that much in a manner that's ideal. Maybe I don't like that idea right now, but if the story and characters or even atmosphere is good enough, that may just do it for me, or heck, I could just be wrong and there is a good amount of gameplay. Games with little gameplay ratio to cutscene in the past hasn't stopped me from enjoying, or even loving a game, but it just depends on how it's done. Again though, maybe that concern shouldn't be a concern at all. Anyways, what about you; have any interest in the game?

• 
    Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Think of it as a really long movie first... and then be blown away when you get to control the characters. Boom. No disappointment so long as the story is thrilling and well directed, which to me looks pretty darn good.

What if people are doing just that but aren't willing to pay $60 for an approximately double- or triple-length movie? What if part of paying for movies was paying for access to an expensive theater that probably overshadows what most people have available at home? What if videogames needed other pricey investments on top of a disk or downloaded file?

I still find it hard to understand why so many act as if this comparison was particularly meaningful. Of course relatively few people truly equate length and quality, I think. But that's a long, long way from completely ignoring it as a factor when making purchasing decisions. Especially since we're spoiled for options. To me a game doesn't just need to be servicable to be worth a full-price purchase - it really needs to captivate my interest in special ways. Otherwise I'll just get back to it whenever.

poisonmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By poisonmonkey

Looks nice but I'm a little sick of cover shooters, I may pick it up in a sale sometime or as part of a trade in when it is cheaper.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@hurricaneivan29 said:

Think of it as a really long movie first... and then be blown away when you get to control the characters. Boom. No disappointment so long as the story is thrilling and well directed, which to me looks pretty darn good.

What if people are doing just that but aren't willing to pay $60 for an approximately double- or triple-length movie? What if part of paying for movies was paying for access to an expensive theater that probably overshadows what most people have available at home? What if videogames needed other pricey investments on top of a disk or downloaded file?

I still find it hard to understand why so many act as if this comparison was particularly meaningful. Of course relatively few people truly equate length and quality, I think. But that's a long, long way from completely ignoring it as a factor when making purchasing decisions. Especially since we're spoiled for options. To me a game doesn't just need to be servicable to be worth a full-price purchase - it really needs to captivate my interest in special ways. Otherwise I'll just get back to it whenever.

Then wait till it falls to whatever you find reasonable!

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I might once I get a PS4 but I'll be after I finish Bloodborn.

porjos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I love video games, and this is one - so I'll play it!

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hurricaneivan29: I shall do just that! No argument there. That doesn't neccessarily take away from the disappointment of a, depending on perspective, over-priced game though. I wish $60 was so insignificant to me that I didn't need to care about the monetary aspect of gaming but, alas, life has it's disgusting ways of forcing me to care.

Later down the road, when we've moved on from initial purchasing advice, the price-argument will evaporate anway. That's when we'll have had time to think about it all and let the game sink in. That's when true critique will shine and be most useful! I look forward to that point. At this point most enthusiasts probably want to know if The Order is worth $60 right now more than anything else. The ratio of cutscenes (usually most interesting once) and gameplay (frequently replayable and a great source of value) can be a significant factor even for players that don't mind cutscenes per se.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#161  Edited By mike

@jesus_phish said:

@neckbear: Is there any reason you decided to spoil the final boss for an unreleased game? There are spoiler tool on this site for a reason.

@frostyryan said:

@neckbear: thanks for the spoilers

That was lame, I deleted the post.

To everyone else considering maliciously spoiling games for others, think carefully before you do so because it will very likely be the last post you ever make on Giant Bomb. Not cool.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

A friend of mine got an early copy and we played through it yesterday. It is a beautiful game that plays like a terrible third person shooter from 5 years ago. Don't buy it. It is not worth $60. The game is 7 hours long at best. If you REALLY want it, wait until there is a price drop.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@hadestimes: Could you elaborate? What is bad about the shooting?

illegalnull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BestBuy.ca just delivered my copy, on Tuesday, 3 days early?! WTF? I got it for $40 on crazy E3 preorder deals last year. I really don't have time to play it right now though, so going to wait for reviews before deciding to keep it or not.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anything deeper than six hours and I'd get my moneys worth. Can't wait to Give it a go.

Avatar image for chilipeppersman
    chilipeppersman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 4

#166  Edited By chilipeppersman

@otakugamer: I buy all my games now when they are around $25 lol I havent bought a game at full price in years

@hadestimes: Thats a bummer to hear man I was hoping for better! This is the sort of game I would love a demo for, not enough of those these days.

nerdsbeware

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

I plan on it. The whole time vs cost thing doesn't bother me. It's more if the game is broken. if its a broken POS then no thanks. Even if its all QTE's and cutscenes, if it's well done then whatever IMO.

Luca717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: lol thats my bad, shows how little i paid attention to this release

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Honkalot

I think I will still pick it up but only when it's dropped from $60.

Not significantly related to the above statement but I also hope to god that this is the last letterboxed game that is ever released. I don't even care about the resolution, but I am still flabbergasted that there is screen real estate that is unused. I would rather play a low resolution full screen game.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I plan on it. The whole time vs cost thing doesn't bother me. It's more if the game is broken. if its a broken POS then no thanks. Even if its all QTE's and cutscenes, if it's well done then whatever IMO.

God damn that was a good response, man/woman after my own hart.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Gameplay is everything to me, so no. I dislike games that attempt to be movies.

blacklab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A quick look would be nice.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'll wait for the sale price on this one. I have so much I'm trying to get through right now anyway, I'm going to even start pushing off short games like this till the price is a little more reasonable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.