Order 1886 40 Minute demo for press tomorrow.

• 75 results
#1 Posted by Aegon (5496 posts) -

According to this tweet by an Italian press sneak puppy:

No idea if even a bit of this will be shown to the public.

#2 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

This press stuff only really needs to stop. I get that the press needs time to write articles and write impressions but at least give the people who are waiting and will buy these games the same demo or at least a bit of the demo to get more excited... I really hate when I have to read all the "cool" stuff they write about with no chance of even seeing a bit of it....

#3 Posted by Aegon (5496 posts) -

@darji said:

This press stuff only really needs to stop. I get that the press needs time to write articles and write impressions but at least give the people who are waiting and will buy these games the same demo or at least a bit of the demo to get more excited... I really hate when I have to read all the "cool" stuff they write about with no chance of even seeing a bit of it....

Well, I guess that ties into the whole "preview" thing which the giant bomb team has pretty unanimously declared as pointless (I agree).

#4 Edited by MentalDisruption (1622 posts) -

Finally we get to hear something about this game.

#5 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@aegon: Yeah and the worst thing is when these so called journalists teasing the shit on twitter. At least keep quiet. I do not want to hear about some guy who knows "nothing" about gaming teasing shit like this...

#6 Posted by ILikePopCans (749 posts) -

@darji said:

Companies probably still follow the idea that their audience is stupid (which I don't necessarily disagree with) so why show people a game that is still in alpha which will make people think the game looks like garbage even if it only means the game is still early.

#7 Posted by Sammo21 (3261 posts) -

I am betting that Sony will end up releasing the video as they did with infamous: second son and other first party games. I agree, text only previews are pointless at this point.

#8 Posted by spraynardtatum (2811 posts) -

booooo press only. boooooooo

#9 Posted by ILikePopCans (749 posts) -

Man, everyone is upset about this being press only. Maybe you guys are too spoiled.

#10 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@ilikepopcans: Or people are just fed up with this bullshit. Especially since the Kickstarter boom. We get a much more insight there with a lot of videos showing early game play and stuff. And to be honest this makes me much more excited for these games. All we want to see is a bit of gameplay footage and not a 1-2 minute trailer.

#11 Posted by jimmyfenix (3853 posts) -

Someone take video please.

#12 Posted by ILikePopCans (749 posts) -

@darji: This game is still a ways off. I don't think they are trying to sell the game right now. They don't need to put video out to the public which can then be held over their heads later on.

#13 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@ilikepopcans said:

@darji: This game is still a ways off. I don't think they are trying to sell the game right now. They don't need to put video out to the public which can then be held over their heads later on.

Its end of 2014. And games like Wasteland or Pillars of Eternity or Kingdom Come which just started their Kickstarter Campaign are also ways off.

So it is better to show this to people that mostly also will try to get hits with stupid claims on like "rape scenes in Castlevania 2", or way too positive previews?. Also we will most likely get a trailer or some 30 second clips but why not a 5 minute demo instead. That would get a ton of people way more hyped than any positive IGN article could ever do.

#14 Posted by ILikePopCans (749 posts) -

@darji said:

@ilikepopcans said:

Its end of 2014. And games like Wasteland or Pillars of Eternity are also ways off.

So it is better to show this to people that mostly also will try to get hits with a claims on like "rape scenes in Castlevania 2"?. Also we will most likely get a trailer or some 30 second clips but why not a 5 minute demo instead. That would get a ton of people way more hyped than any even positive IGN article could ever do.

Comparing this to Kickstarter games is not a good comparison. Because Wasteland and Pillars of Eternity got their money from US, they need to show the common folk what they are doing or the backer will get all angry and demand their money back. 1886 is being publish by the gigantic company Sony so they don't need to do that and asking them to change the way they show off games is unrealistic.

And I'm not saying doing this will get more hype. But we also don't know what shape the game is in. We know it takes time to make a demo for E3 to make the game look polish enough. They probably don't have any amount of the game that looks good enough to be showed to the public (or what THEY think looks good enough).

Again, we don't know enough to be getting all angry. We don't even know what is going on tomorrow other then a tweet.

#15 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@ilikepopcans: WE will decide of this games success. So yeah we should get more inside in my opinion. I do not buy games because they are made by Sony or any other studio I will buy them because I get excited about these games. And the best way to do this is a "complete" demo with cutscenes and gameplay as well. A trailer these days just does not get me that hyped anymore.

As for he embargo: Yes there will be an embargo according to the neogaf thread which of course is fine since these people need time to actually write an article etc. But when this embargo ends at least give us a small bit of the demo. For example if they watch a 40 minute demo. Gives us 10 minutes from it. And I will promise that this will get way more positive reactions than any other preview ever could. There is a reason why Gaming on Youtube is so huge. People want to see game play before buying stuff not just trailer.

#16 Posted by AMyggen (2862 posts) -

@darji: Why gaming is so huge on Youtube has as much to do with personalties as it has to do with people wanting to see footage of games before they buy it. But anyways, as for what you're saying: I totally understand why big companies are wary of showing uncut early(ish) gameplay footage to the public when they don't have to (if you're doing a Kickstarter you have to show footage like this, because it's expected when the buyers are also the investors). Say what you will, but if they show an early build of the game that doesn't look as good as the finished product, there will be a lot of hyperbole and bullshit. Look how people reacted to the footage coming out of the Titanfall alpha.

If I was a dev, I would be hesitant of releasing this kind of footage to the public too, especially when I doubt it'll have much effect on people's hype when the game is still a pretty long way off. It's smart to wait if the game doesn't look as polished as it will at launch.

#17 Edited by crithon (3138 posts) -

meh, I don't mind reading. Video is really killing my appreciation for games.

#18 Edited by GERALTITUDE (3228 posts) -

@sammo21 said:

I am betting that Sony will end up releasing the video as they did with infamous: second son and other first party games. I agree, text only previews are pointless at this point.

Pointless for us, not for them though. I mean check this out right now: a tweet in Italian has us starting forum threads and talking about The Order 1886 - so I'd say text only previews work. I'm with you anyways, probably the video will come out at some point.

#19 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@amyggen: So the press can see it. We will see pictures and small clips of the same demo but never see the full one? How does this makes any sense. Like with the Witcher 3 Demo for example The press could see 40 minutes of this games and all people were OMG best of E3 by far and we have not seen one single bit of these 40 minutes except from trailers. The press can even film these short seconds and use it for their preview. videowhich uses the same build and the same quality we could have gotten with the whole thing.

Just put an EARLY BUILD ALPHA message on the screen and let gamers see it as well. No one is saying that you should market this video but at least let gamers get a glimpse of it. If they do not understand the meaning of an Alpha then they are too stupid anyway. Now we have all this talk about the game yes. But how much of this is negative. Just look at the neogaf thread for example and how they are mocking the game for not even having showing at least one bit of game play. If you are not confident about your work. Sure do not show it. But if you are confident then let gamers see it as well..

And again this game is getting released in like 8 months. How is this far off?

#20 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2294 posts) -

SHOW OFF THIS GOD DAMN FUCKING GAME ALREADY. IT IS THE MOST INTERESTING GAME OF THE PS4 GENERATION TO ME AND THEY HAVE SHOWN OFF THE LEAST AMOUNT OF FOOTAGE FOR IT.

FUCK

#21 Posted by AMyggen (2862 posts) -

@darji: 8 months is very far off because games get optimized late in development, closer to release than 8 months till release. That's why even builds pretty close to release can feel and play like shit, and why 8 months from release is still a long time.

And I'm not sure if it's enough to label it "alpha build" or whatever. I guess it comes down to me not trusting the "general gaming public" to actually react in a sensible way to a huge publisher like Sony showing off a game which is supposed to show the power of the PS4 in a not finished state. All I'm saying is that I fully understand why they want to control stuff like this more closely than just releasing it to the public. I wouldn't rule out them releasing at least a shorter version of this footage soon, I guess it depends on how it's recieved by the press.

I should also say that I have no hype for this game. From what I know it's a third person shooter with a twist, which doesn't excite me anymore. I'm sure the game will look good, but I don't really care about that. I'm much more hyped for Infamous tbh.

#22 Posted by Castiel (2577 posts) -

Fuck press exclusive previews.

#23 Edited by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@ilikepopcans said:

Companies probably still follow the idea that their audience is stupid (which I don't necessarily disagree with) so why show people a game that is still in alpha which will make people think the game looks like garbage even if it only means the game is still early.

Remember that NBA Elite demo youtube video? Anyways I bet the demo is for more mainstream press where most coverage is still written.

#24 Posted by Nasar7 (2613 posts) -

@crithon said:

meh, I don't mind reading. Video is really killing my appreciation for games.

It's not killing my appreciation but I don't mind reading either. Besides, we all know this video will eventually leak.

#25 Posted by spraynardtatum (2811 posts) -

They're going for the Jaws approach.

#26 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@amyggen: See you also do not care for the game because you have not seen any gameplay at all. People throw away gears clone and boring around this game, because they have not seen gameplay at all. Imagine if this demo actually showed that it is different. What would you make it more exciting for you. reading about it or seeing it with your own eye. Or would you even believe what sites like IGN will write without seeing it for yourself?

I also doubt that they will show a very early build this far into the development. It will be like a Watchdogs deomo for example except you have seen a demo of this and you know exactly what you can expect. With the Order no one has a real idea not even the press. If by now they have not anything you can get excited about the game will never do it.

#27 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1727 posts) -

I hope to hell this leaks because I'm dying to see what the hell this game is already. I don't understand the concept of announcing a game and then not showing it off for the better part of a year. It's become such a common occurrence in this industry and it's getting real fucking old.

That said, I did read the GI article on this game and it sounds like it's going to be pretty special.

#28 Edited by Sinusoidal (1420 posts) -

@onekillwonder_ said:

I don't understand the concept of announcing a game and then not showing it off for the better part of a year.

It's because when they announce, it's basically a bunch of concept art and maybe a teaser trailer. The game proper doesn't exist yet. It's marketing's job to get people excited about things that don't exist yet so potential investors have a reason to fund the game. In other words: a steaming pile of bullshit.

#29 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@onekillwonder_ said:

I don't understand the concept of announcing a game and then not showing it off for the better part of a year.

It's because when they announce, it's basically a bunch of concept art and maybe a teaser trailer. The game proper doesn't exist yet. It's marketing's job to get people excited about things that don't exist yet so potential investors have a reason to fund the game. In other words: a steaming pile of bullshit.

Then show it of like they did with Watchdogs or the Division for example. We never heard of these games, but they wowed people after showing a demo of it for the first time.

#30 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1727 posts) -

@onekillwonder_ said:

I bet that this game was pretty far along when they showed that trailer. Maybe none of it was polished enough in time for a live demo, but I wouldn't go so far as to say none of it existed yet. But I understand the sentiment. It's just frustrating from a consumer point of view that this has become common practice over the last generation. Retailers even offered PS4 bundles of this game in anticipation of it being an early release. I'm a believer of not announcing a game until you have something to really show, and that the final product is not more than a year out. You know...how things USED to be done.

#31 Posted by crithon (3138 posts) -

@nasar7: video does a good job explaining personality of writers. I just think like watching an entire play through might just spoil a lot of my anticipation. Or maybe I'm just impatient and just zip past everything and cut to a big monster shot instead. And I don't consider myself one of those "that's a spoiler if I see a tree" types, it's more of a personal thing, because there's a lot of video content out there for some games.

#32 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2363 posts) -

Just curious, but why are people so excited for this game? The e3 teaser looked okay and all, but I don't really see why people are foaming at the mouth just for info on this game.

#33 Edited by Aegon (5496 posts) -

@turtlebird95: I don't think I'm super excited or anything, but I do want to see what Ready at Dawn, a studio that does well with franchises that aren't theirs, can do with their own IP.

#34 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2294 posts) -

Just curious, but why are people so excited for this game? The e3 teaser looked okay and all, but I don't really see why people are foaming at the mouth just for info on this game.

It's not a sequel, it's a fairly original setting, potentially a co-op game which we desperately need right now for new consoles, graphics look pretty good (judging from screenshots and that the E3 trailer is supposedly what the game will look like)

#35 Posted by awesomeusername (4174 posts) -

I went from "OHHHHH!!!" To "Wait... Press. NOOOOOOO!!!"

God dammit.

#36 Edited by awesomeusername (4174 posts) -

@sinusoidal: Actually, they said they have been working on it for about 3 years when it was announced. So going on 4 now.

@somedelicook: no coop.

#37 Posted by Wolfgame (708 posts) -

@aegon said:

@darji said:

Well, I guess that ties into the whole "preview" thing which the giant bomb team has pretty unanimously declared as pointless (I agree).

Agreed, the industry moves too fast now for previews to hold any significance. The content is being consumed differently by the gamers, they need to just post approved footage for consideration by the consumer. I for one can't maintain interest in this long enough to read some embargo stricken impression of a behind closed doors preview build that I can't judge for myself. That scenario is just incredibly dull when such a rapid amount of gaming coverage is being released for upcoming games each day WITHOUT any convoluted barriers.

#38 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2294 posts) -

@sinusoidal: Actually, they said they have been working on it for about 3 years when it was announced. So going on 4 now.

@somedelicook: no coop.

When was this confirmed? Can't find anything online about it at all

#39 Posted by csl316 (8445 posts) -

Hmm... 40 minutes means the game is further along than I thought. Must have a lot of different systems in place for something that lengthy.

Cool, hope some footage gets released soon after. Considering this is one of the first of the next wave of software.

#40 Edited by l4wd0g (1935 posts) -

@darji said:

@aegon: Yeah and the worst thing is when these so called journalists teasing the shit on twitter. At least keep quiet. I do not want to hear about some guy who knows "nothing" about gaming teasing shit like this...

That's all they have. They got to see a consumer product early. That's their life's meaning. It's really sad when you think about it.

#41 Edited by Elwoodan (818 posts) -

Considering that this will probably be some unpolished game-play it's no surprise that they are keeping it from the public, one only needs to look at the discussions which surround game betas or early access to see that many people apparently don't understand the phrase 'work in progress' and will be turned off by unfinished art or a rough UI.

#42 Edited by Cold_Wolven (2216 posts) -

It's a bummer that press only previews still happen especially in an age where game sales are fluctuating and publishers need good attention on their game where written articles alone I feel don't cut it.

#43 Posted by afabs515 (1019 posts) -

This game looks super weird, but I'm excited to finally get a fairly solid idea of what it is. Excited to see the new IPs coming out this generation.

#44 Edited by awesomeusername (4174 posts) -

@somedelicook: Happy 2000th post! Anyway, I remember reading somewhere that Ru (Founder) said it was a single player experience. But the GameInformer mag for this game says "Multiplayer TBD". I doubt that means co-op though. Take that how you will but I bet my PS4 there won't be co-op. (PLEASE NO CO-OP!)

#45 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (1584 posts) -

This is probably the upcoming game that is most intriguing to me, probably because there is so little actual info on it thus far.

#46 Edited by OtakuGamer (1230 posts) -

Not sure why they don't just release the video to the public. What's the secrecy for?

#47 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

I am glad that I am not alone on this. But hey at least we get this.,....

#48 Edited by Sammo21 (3261 posts) -

@geraltitude: I am also sure that whatever gameplay is shown will be the only gameplay until E3.

#49 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3228 posts) -

@somedelicook: Happy 2000th post! Anyway, I remember reading somewhere that Ru (Founder) said it was a single player experience. But the GameInformer mag for this game says "Multiplayer TBD". I doubt that means co-op though. Take that how you will but I bet my PS4 there won't be co-op. (PLEASE NO CO-OP!)

oh really? I'd kind of be down with some co-op... Especially if it was couch, and especially if it worked in a Gears of War way versus Dead Space. As in there's 0 ramifications on the single player game, but co-op just puts a human in the shoes of a team member who would have been AI.

But I doubt it.

From what I understand co-op ain't nothing to sneeze at so it could easily be left out for the first game in a franchise. My multiplayer money is more on a hoard mode, just based on that first trailer.

@sammo21 said:

@geraltitude: I am also sure that whatever gameplay is shown will be the only gameplay until E3.

Totally - if we get to see this footage, it will be the only footage until E3. If we don't see the footage, there will be a recut trailer before E3. The Order is Sony's big exclusive this year that isn't infamous, so I expect a pretty wild E3 reveal.

#50 Edited by Nodima (1164 posts) -

I feel like I make this post, or send a variation of it to Patrick and the others, every couple months since I've been trying to become a regular here, but:

It truly amazes me how much entitlement the gaming audience has to the product compared to other industries, at least when it comes to understanding how it's made. I get that the music business is an entirely different beast both in terms of audience entitlement (arguably a much bigger problem in my industry, albeit on almost infinitely different terms as well) and the atmosphere surrounding promotions.

I've never once heard someone outraged that an album listening party hosted by the artist for the press, label employees and video models currently in the area should be recorded and uploaded to Youtube immediately even though a lot of these parties get exceptionally weird, as weird as a building full of celebrities attempting to sit in a room and listen to an album intently without getting too drunk can get anyway. There's never been this huge outcry for "footage!" And it's not teasing to mention what you're doing on Twitter. That is the point of Twitter.

I have to imagine putting out a game is the most stressful form of entertainment creation there is today. Because the audience for it - even when they're immensely pleased with someone - tends to feel like it could have been pleased better, somehow. Probably.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.