Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Order: 1886

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 20, 2015

A third-person shooter set in a steampunk-themed alternate timeline, with a dash of the supernatural. Developed by Ready at Dawn Studios for the PlayStation 4.

Why I liked this game

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Zirilius

Full Disclosure: I did not pay 60 dollars for this game. I rented this game for $5.30 from a local Hastings store.

There is a lot of controversy surrounding the order and whether it is or isn't worth 60 dollars. I can say that had I actually purchased this game and not rented it I would have been fully satisfied. Currently I have beaten the game, gotten the Platinum trophy, and currently working on a second playthrough simply because I like the game that much. It isn't without it's faults but there is a solid foundation there that I want more of and I really hope they get a chance to make the Order: 1887 or whatever they call the sequel.

Let's get the faults out of the way since I'd rather end with the highs than the lows. Firstly I think the pacing of the game suffers periodically. Not that it's overly bad but there are a couple of long stretches of the game where you are just walking with no exposition, no tension, and don't have anything to look at. If these were just shortened up just a little I feel it would increase a player's immersion in the world better.

The game also suffers from unskippable cutscenses which I think is completely unexcusable in a modern game. This really only becomes an issue when you are starting a chapter over or collectible hunting since the game checkpoints after each cutscene.

My last and biggest issue though is how very unforgiving with the game is with button prompts during the quick time events. There are some events where you have what feels like an eternity to do some button prompts and sometimes it feels as soon as you see the prompt it goes away before you can press the button. The biggest area I found this to be a problem was during the half-breed fights. Once you know how the fights or prompting system works it gets easier but it's a far from perfect system.

The gameplay is take or it leave it. I thought the gunplay was pretty good and there is a decent amount of diversity with the guns. Blacksiting is essential and they don't emphasize that during the tutorial part of the game. The combat quick time events (which are few and far between) are mostly forgiving but as said above the timing can be make some of those events quite annoying.

With that out of the way I got to say I freaking loved the good majority of this game. I loved their take on Arthurian lore and the Knights in general. It probably helps I have always had a fascination with King Arthur but even still I found it extremely well done. I really would have liked to have had some backstory on the origin of the knights and Galahad specifically but I understand leaving it out. The story is a bit trope but the twists were actually unexpected compared to what I thought in mind. Spoiler I thought Sebastien (first Percival) was going to be the true leader of the rebellion. I still suspect that the Shadowy old man he was talking to is Lancelot (who I thought Lafayette would become) or Sir Gawain but you never find out. Thought Rani was going to be Gwenevire. I also thought the black water from the Grail was going to be Vampire Blood.

This is also hands down one of the best looking games I've played. Granted I haven't kept up on PC games lately but in terms of console releases I think it's the best out there right now. The level of detail they put into the cities, Knights, and weapons is crazy. The could have done with a little more variety on the enemies but overall I was very impressed with the aesthetic of the game.

It's been a long time since I've wanted to keep playing a game like this. What is weird for me is that I want to continue to play this despite having the platinum trophy. I really want more and hope that Ready at Dawn gets that chance to make DLC or a sequel.

Edit: I tried to put all this in a couple of different threads about the game rather than creating a new one but for some reason I couldn't.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

@zirilius: I agree with everything you've said, I purchased the game but am using GameStop's 7-day GamePlay Guarantee to trade it in for PSN credit and so didn't mind the length. I absolutely loved the story (except the ending) and really hope they get to expand the world they've created. Still want to know a few things though:

Why weren't we allowed to spare Lucan?

Why didn't Gallahad inform Isi of his findings at the time and why did she lose her shit so quickly?

All of the main villains are still alive (Hastings, main chancellor is a douche, all the vampires from the other cargos headed to India and the "New World" made it?, etc)

What was the epilogue about? Less than 10 lines of dialogue lol.

I'd give it a solid 8/10 with the points lost due to the lack of story closure and some broken gameplay mechanics (Almighty shotgun fighters, QTE for stealth kills?, lack of replay ability).

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

I didn't pre-order the game, but I did pay full price after reading all of the negative reviews that brought up issues that were similar to another game that I had issues with, but were completely ignored by these same reviewers. I enjoyed that game, so figured I'd enjoy this one.

I'm almost done, so outside of the ending, I think the story was pretty good. Better than many games that have reviewed well. I disagree with the issues the OP had simply because I didn't have a problem with them. The one thing that is a problem are the cover mechanics.

If I were to rate it now, I'd give it a 4 out of 5. That could change by the end of tonight.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By PrivodOtmenit

All right, though I don't think people need to come out and state why they liked a game just because it reviewed badly. Write a review.

For me I was expecting a run of the mill third person shooter, the final product managed to fall short of even this.

Edit: Put that price into perspective, it's a console game so you can sell it on afterwards for $40-50, if this was a PC title and you could not sell it after you finish it, is it worth $60? Of course not.

Unless you're hell bent on keeping every game you buy a console game being worth $60 or not doesn't matter as you can get most of that money back if you finish it within a month of release.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.