Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Pinball Arcade

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 09, 2012

Official virtual recreations of numerous pinball tables from some of the largest manufacturers of pinball machines in history.

Favorite table?

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By buzz_killington

I bought all the tables on the iPad, and even though everyone has been saying 'Theater of Magic' is the best table, my personal favorite is 'Tales of Arabian Nights'. It's so much fun, and when you start getting a hang of the game 'events', you can rack up 20 mil plus scores like a motherfucker. It's awesome. What's your favorite table?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

This isn't a poll? You, sir, have truly lived up to your name.

And I'd say ToM and TotAN about equally.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By joshthebear

I feel Theatre of Magic is the best by far. I'm ready for some new tables.

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mason

I'm enjoying them all. Theater of Magic is by far the breeziest to play. Shots link together really nicely and the theme is very well integrated. It's the total package. Scoring is ridiculous, but doesn't really matter.

But I'm spending the most time with Ripley's, strangely enough. Mostly because I just played the real table 3 days ago, but was left unsatisfied when the machine was partially busted. Ball would frequently go down the lower chute (which was mangled and made larger for some reason), and just stay down there for 40 seconds while the machine made horrible crunching noises). So now, I'm playing the virtual version a lot because of the novelty of seeing the game as it was meant to be played.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By buzz_killington

@SpaceInsomniac said:

There is DLC disparity between systems, and they could add more tables at any time they wanted, so I had the long term in mind.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@buzz_killington said:

@SpaceInsomniac said:

There is DLC disparity between systems, and they could add more tables at any time they wanted, so I had the long term in mind.

Good point.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jrinswand

Is this game worth getting if you haven't played the actual tables? And does it feel like real pinball? The only virtual pinball I've ever played was that pinball game that used to come on every copy of Windows. I missed out on Pinball FX 2 and all those sorts of games.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@Jrinswand said:

Is this game worth getting if you haven't played the actual tables? And does it feel like real pinball? The only virtual pinball I've ever played was that pinball game that used to come on every copy of Windows. I missed out on Pinball FX 2 and all those sorts of games.

Yes it is, and yes it does. Download the trial version and see for yourself.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By fox01313

All of them but Arabian Nights, still bitter about that one on the Williams Collection where they decided to make the idiot harem multiball as a basic goal that tends to be so damn tough (and the fireball that constantly happens) where I just either hate the table or can no longer play the table with audio. Can't wait for the other tables to show up as really curious if they pull more (apart from Medieval Madness) from the Williams Collection or Gottlieb Collections of games that came out on the consoles & should be mostly done for the Pinball Arcade.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Driadon

I'm really enjoying Medieval Madness the most out of the bunch, if only because it does some fantastic stuff with the theme, but also with the overall structure and very clear goals (not the achieve-y goals, but, you know, the actual goals of the game). Theater of Magic comes up a close second, only because there are times when I go "So, wait, what happened? Why am I shooting for that ramp now?"

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@fox01313 said:

All of them but Arabian Nights, still bitter about that one on the Williams Collection where they decided to make the idiot harem multiball as a basic goal that tends to be so damn tough...

Some tips:

ONLY shoot the left loop. The right loop does not count towards the objective.

Shooting the bizarre is an easy way for you to hold the ball with the right flipper. After hitting the bizarre, just hold the right flipper and the ball will fall right in.

You can pass the ball from one flipper to the other by holding a ball until it's still, and then quickly letting the flipper go and immediately activating it again. Use that to get a ball from a left hold to a right hold.

If the tiger loop is lit, it usually won't expire until the ball hits something on the table that scores points. Go for a minor target, and then try to re-hold the ball with the right flipper.

If the bizarre gives you a choice, go for the reward that advances the tiger loops. That way, if you do accidentally hit another tiger loop, you'll at least be very close to earning an extra ball, which can give you more time to try to hit the harem multiball.

If you make a mistake and activate the ball lock, just lock the balls and get it over with. Keep in mind that you can also lock balls with the right orbit.

After struggling with this goal for a few days, I finally got it, and within an hour I beat every wizard goal other than saving the princess. It definitely should not have been a basic goal.

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mason

I'm starting to agree with the above assessment. TotAN is a gorgeous table with some really fun features...but that Harem multiball seems messed up. Forget that the activation light is so easy to accidentally toggle off, or that people report the H-A-R-E-M spelling to be bugged and not registering successes (not sure if true).

As an average player, I just have a really hard time getting a clean shot at that ramp in the first place. The ball almost never wants to go there, and when it does, it's far more likely to hit the locked balls instead. The only reliable way I can find to hit the ramp, is to wait until the ball is on the very tip of the flipper and almost about to drain before tapping the button. It's an extremely risky attempt since if my timing is a millisecond too late, it's an instant drain. Doing this 5 times without fail is hard enough, but then when I have to constantly wait for the harem light to be active, it's rare I get more than one success. I might give up on this goal for now.

Edit: I am playing the PS3 version, so maybe lag is the reason I can't nail the timing? Yeah that's the ticket. It can't possibly be because I suck.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By SmilingPig
    No Caption Provided
    EToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By EToaster

Surprisingly, I've been enjoying the Black Hole table the most. It's relatively simple, and really easy to lose all your balls really fast on, but I like the style.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By kindgineer

@buzz_killington: I'd have to go with Arabian Nights as well.

reinbachiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By reinbachiii

Agreeing that Harem Multiball is the WORST. I've saved the princess multiple times but cannot for the life of me unlock Wizard Goals.

Edit: Getting 250k in bonus points on Black Hole is also kinda ridiculous in retrospect.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.