Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Punisher: No Mercy

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jul 02, 2009

The Punisher: No Mercy is a multiplayer-focused first-person shooter, exclusive to the Playstation Network. It was developed by Zen Studios and uses Unreal Engine 3.

Final opinions and verdict

Avatar image for shalashaskauk666
    ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666

Its playable, I'll give it that! 

Obviously none of us expected anything other than a COD/Unreal Tourny style game, and thats exactly what we have here, so instead of judge it on what it DOESNT do, I'll instead focus on the positives.
    It handles fine enough for an arena based shooter, its generic as hell when it comes to menu presentation and overall aesthetic, but it serves a very simple purpose and it serves it well.
    The 'story' mode is a replica of whats found in the Unreal series, a set of arena based matches linked together with cutscenes to form a remote semblance of plot. 
    The multiplayer is fine aswell, albeit a watered down version of COD4's ranking system implemented through a much easier ingame upgrade system, again this works fine just enough to get you by and grab some frags, but nothing to write home about (only giantbomb :D).
    The reason many of us including myself have this title is because of the Punisher branding, if this was only called No Mercy and played this way, it would not be selling whatsover.
    It does serve as a neat piece of fan service, however the costume ingame is obviously meant to be a representation of the movie version, and any tie to said movie is utterly lost now considering how long it took then to put it out.
    Th inclusion of Finn Cooley and Barracuda is pretty sweet as their ingame avatars are based on the MAX versions of themselves, and blowing their limbs off as they shout out is awesome, but ONLY from a Punisher fan standpoint.

Overall I say ONLY, ONNNLY get this if you are a complete Punisher nut, otherwise the overarching mediocrity of everthing in this game will surely turn you to play COD, Killzone or UT3 instead.
    It aint great, it aint terrible, a solid 5/10.

OptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By OptimusPrime

thanks for the review, i am a huge "punisher nut" so i will be picking this up.

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666
    @OptimusPrime: Awesome m8, I'm currently running around beheading Punisher playing as Barracuda shouting 'SKULL WEARIN MUTHAFUCKER!' and I've gotta say, its fun!!!
    METALM1LITIA91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By METALM1LITIA91

I thought the game looked decent... As you said it is what it is and we shouldn't expect so much from it. Looks to be a decent arena shooter. I'll probably get it since its only $10. Glad you got this up so quickly

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666
    @METALM1LITIA91:  No problem at all, let me know what you guys think when you get it up and running
    Slyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Slyce

I am in no way a Punisher fan (not bashing series, just never a fan)... I bought the game, just to try a new shooter, since I've maxed out everything else I have.  I can't really bash the game for $10.  It's not terrible, the controls needed a little tweaking from the start (I'm in a good place now).  It is very generic,  plays exactly like Unreal Tournament, even the announcer sounds like it.  Again, not great but,  ShalashaskaUK666 is right, the game is good for what it is... to pass the time, blow off limbs, and all for $10.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By get2sammyb

You kinda have to factor in it's £6. At that price I think it's a really neat timewaster. You're probably not going to spend the next 50 hours in there like you might CoD/Killzone but, hey, for 10 hours of gameplay or so it's good fun.

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666

Yeah Slyce and get2sammyb I definately further agree, the price is one of the main reasons that if you arent a Punny fan, makes the game acceptable to spend time with for a quick few frags inbetween more epic games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.