Batman 3

#1 Posted by efrucht (639 posts) -

SO, if Nolan makes a third Batman movie, and the Riddler is in it, what actor do you think should play him?
I think it could be David Tennant.

#2 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

Some one without a reputation would be could. Just as long as they don't go for another Jim Carrey style of portrayal.

#3 Posted by efrucht (639 posts) -

I agree with that, I want a more serious Riddler.

#4 Posted by DrVanNostren (154 posts) -

I didn't mind Jim Carrey, but I don't think that he would fit in the Nolan universe either. John Malkovich would be interesting as The Riddler.

#5 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -
DrVanNostren said:
"I didn't mind Jim Carrey, but I don't think that he would fit in the Nolan universe either. John Malkovich would be interesting as The Riddler.
"
To each his own. For me the Batman movies starring Val Kilmar and George Clooney were just poor in general. You could say that Jim Carreys Riddler was a high light of that film but thats more of a statement against the movie in general rather then props to Carreys performance. And Tommy Lee Jones' Two Face was just a shocking low point of a terrific acting career.
#6 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

And I think a good choice for a new villain is The Penguin. On thing I find about comic book movies is that when more then one of any given heroes, supervillians from the rogue gallery starts to show up in the movie in always suffers against the rest. The all the Batman movies are good examples of this. I even thought Aaron Eckharts version of Two Face in the new Dark Knight film felt rushed towards the end, tacked on instead of being a fully realized villain. The benefit of the Penguin is that he is one of these sort of characters that can bring other villians together against Batman and hold them together and still be a great focal point for a new film. I would also be wary of introducing any of Batmans sidekicks like Robin or whatever the movies do so much better with out them when Batman is the lone figure.

#7 Posted by Strife88 (225 posts) -

Nolan already mentioned he is tired of making Batman movies and has another work in progress at the moment. As good as the Riddler would be if that is his choice it won't be until 2010 or even 2011.

#8 Posted by DrVanNostren (154 posts) -
c1337us said:
To each his own. For me the Batman movies starring Val Kilmar and George Clooney were just poor in general. You could say that Jim Carreys Riddler was a high light of that film but thats more of a statement against the movie in general rather then props to Carreys performance. And Tommy Lee Jones' Two Face was just a shocking low point of a terrific acting career.
"
Yeah I didn't like any of the Schumaker Batmans either, it's just like you said, Carrey's performance was a high point, for me at least.
#9 Posted by Fax (534 posts) -

I would rather have Black Mask in the next batman flim...

#10 Posted by antcar11 (45 posts) -

johnny depp is apparently interested in being the joker.

#11 Posted by MasterOfPenguins_Zell (2093 posts) -
efrucht said:
"SO, if Nolan makes a third Batman movie, and the Riddler is in it, what actor do you think should play him?
I think it could be David Tennant.
"
David Tennant could be a really good Riddler.
#12 Posted by Vlademir (1029 posts) -

I would say Joshua Harto just because of the connection between his character's name and the riddler's name.

#13 Posted by Fax (534 posts) -
antcar11 said:
"johnny depp is apparently interested in being the joker."

Link?
#14 Posted by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

I want whoever the hell that guy is in Dr. Who.
He just looks like the Riddler.

#15 Posted by Lemegeton (780 posts) -
DualReaver said:
"I want whoever the hell that guy is in Dr. Who.
He just looks like the Riddler."
thats David Tennant
#16 Posted by DualReaver (3882 posts) -
Lemegeton said:
"DualReaver said:
"I want whoever the hell that guy is in Dr. Who.
He just looks like the Riddler."
thats David Tennant"
Oh okay, thank yuh. :D
#17 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6289 posts) -

A possible plot point for Batman 3 that was all but dismissed when Ledger died was the Joker's trial. I think that Johnny Depp would be a good joker, but then again the onslaught of Heath Ledger disciples would be brutal and a perfect storm of bitching, and protesting that would bring even the greatest PR rep to his knees. BTW I loved Ledger's performance in TDK....

As for the Penguin, Nolan has said he doesn't like the idea of that villain. It's been speculated that Phillip Seymour Hoffman was a good fit for the role, and I agree. However, I think the Penguin has no business in the Nolan Batman universe, just because of the comical origin story and the sheer lack of seriousness with his character in general....I don't even think Christopher Nolan could make him seem intimidating.

Getting back to Depp though, he's also expressed interest in being the Riddler, which I think would be a great fit for him....

However, I'm cautiously optimistic about a third film. So far no comic book film franchise has had a good 3rd film...(Though I have an unexplained affection for Batman Forever. It was good in a bad way..)

#18 Posted by oraknabo (1453 posts) -

The Riddler was already introduced. He was the Waynetech employee that tried to out Batman. He wasn't Edward Nigma, but his name was Mr Reese!

#19 Posted by Fr0Br0 (3089 posts) -
oraknabo said:
"The Riddler was already introduced. He was the Waynetech employee that tried to out Batman. He wasn't Edward Nigma, but his name was Mr Reese!"
Mr. Reis. And yeah I noticed that too.
#20 Posted by TimeWaffle (944 posts) -

i think depp  would make a god Riddler

#21 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

i thought I heard from somewhere that Johnny Depp will be the Riddler in the next movie.
#22 Posted by Ryan_ (174 posts) -

i don't think johnny depp would be a good riddler. he can portray insanity, but i don't think he could portray the right kind of insanity for the riddler

#23 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -

Johnny Depp as The Riddler

Phillip Seymour Hoffman as The Penguin
Angelina Jolie as Catwoman
..... as Black Mask
#24 Posted by Bulldog19892 (1795 posts) -

Michael Pitt for the Riddler.

#25 Edited by HitNRun (344 posts) -
RHCPfan24 said:
"
i thought I heard from somewhere that Johnny Depp will be the Riddler in the next movie.
"
There are at least three topics a day stating this just on this forum. It's just a rumor, though one reportedly from a studio source. And it broke in the British media, which (no offense to Brits) isn't the most reliable place to read rumors and innuendo.

If it was true, that would suck, not because of Depp or Cher or whatever but because it would mean the studio has once again stopped making good Batman movies (again) and is just firing up the cash machine to churn out sequels until moviegoers get disgusted. No way they've put in enough time on a good script that fits the universe and casting and acquisitions and such this soon to make a good film. Both of the last 2 films were three years in the making.
#26 Posted by HitNRun (344 posts) -
Bulldog19892 said:
The next movie is still in limbo. No deal has been made yet for the next film."
Yeah, and I also forgot to add that half of the National Enquirer crowd has come out saying what role they want in the series. You know what that means. These actors and actresses will have their hacks swarming all over Nolan's office starting rumors and sending letters, trying to get a piece of the cake that Ledger got.

Therefore most of the "buzz" around this movie should be considered shit until the official press release.
#27 Posted by Virago (2486 posts) -
antcar11 said:
"johnny depp is apparently interested in being the joker."
naw, the RIDDLER. depps rumored to be the RIDDLER.
Everyone wants to be joker.
Everyone.
#28 Edited by jakob187 (21645 posts) -

Here's what I think is interesting:  everyone always bitches about how games and movies have all these dark undertones and too much brown/gray and such.

Yet they want The Riddler, a character that isn't supposed to be serious in the least bit...to be darker and more serious.  =  /  You people fucking confuse me.

If I had to pick an actor, I would pick Anton Yelchin.  I think he could be hilarious in a dry sense, very animated, and on top of which, just look at him:

#29 Posted by GobiasIndustries (356 posts) -

Vin Diesel

#30 Posted by Rivix (162 posts) -
jakob187 said:

"
Not to mention, he looks like the joker too:

I think Nolan is on contract for at least one more Batman movie. I'm sure after the success of The Dark Knight will push him to make at least one more. I don't want them to end!

Another possibility for the Riddler, or another villain:

#31 Posted by RichardLOlson (1852 posts) -
Well honestly I don't see johnny depp playing as the ridler in the next batman movie.  I mean its not like he even has the charisma to play him.  I was thinking of killer croc or even the introduction of  mr. freeze.
#32 Posted by Rivix (162 posts) -
RichardLOlson said:
"Well honestly I don't see johnny depp playing as the ridler in the next batman movie.  I mean its not like he even has the charisma to play him.  I was thinking of killer croc or even the introduction of  mr. freeze."
Mr. Freeze just brings back bad memories. I would like a new villain plus more two-face. 
#33 Posted by RichardLOlson (1852 posts) -
Rivix said:
"RichardLOlson said:
"Well honestly I don't see johnny depp playing as the ridler in the next batman movie.  I mean its not like he even has the charisma to play him.  I was thinking of killer croc or even the introduction of  mr. freeze."
Mr. Freeze just brings back bad memories. I would like a new villain plus more two-face. "
IF done correctly, mr freeze could be done really well.  The actor who ever it might be, would have to really show emotion and heart ache about his wife slipping away from him.
#34 Posted by Hexpane (1397 posts) -

The Riddler is one of the lamest batman villains and was a minor bit player until that silly campy 60s TV show.  It's sad that there is so much hype for who is going to be the riddler when it should not even matter as he should not be in any of the batman movies as a main character.

Even in the awesome Batman TAS the Riddler is lame and his riddles are mostly just bad puns.  It turns the Batman storyline into some bad gameshow type deal.  There are at least 10 other Batman villians that would be perfect for the next movie.  Two Face for example, Killer Croc, Scarecrow, Raz Ah, Talia, etc.. why waste it on such a campy bit player like Riddler

If Angelina Jolie gets cast in the next batman I will stage a million fan march on washington to protest that sacrilidge!   Jolie is annoying and a terrible actress.  She already ruined the Tomb Raider character

#35 Edited by Rivix (162 posts) -

You have to read to comics to really appreciate the Riddler character. The only problem of him in a third movie is his similarity to the Joker. 

Its also a good plot twist that the Riddler solves the puzzle about Batman's identity (and then forgot...).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.