Accurate to Paris?

#1 Posted by themartyr (691 posts) -

This might be hard to find out, unless by chance a native of Paris finds it, but I'm pretty obsessed with the city, and am just back from living there for a year. That, and I also happen to be Irish, like from Ireland irish, haha. The appeal of this game touches me on a very unique nerve for these reasons. Anyhow, as the title suggets, I was wondering if anyone happened to know how accurate it is to real-life Paris? Some bits in the video don't seem to match to the geography I remember (I lived 5 minutes from Notre Dame!), particularly what I saw in and around Canal St Martin. 
Anyway, if anyone can help, cheers a bunch.

#2 Edited by Skald (4367 posts) -

Games are never completely accurate to geography. Look at any open world game, ever. 
And I guess that makes you the Notre Dame (Fighting) Irish?    

#3 Posted by Nasar7 (2606 posts) -

Probably not at all. That's a big problem I had with Prototype personally, the geography was way off, including major landmarks, totally broke the immersion for me.

#4 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@extremeradical said:
" Games are never completely accurate to geography. Look at any open world game, ever. And I guess that makes you the Notre Dame (Fighting) Irish?     "
GTAIVs Liberty City is really accurate to NYC.
#5 Edited by Skald (4367 posts) -
@CL60 said:

" @extremeradical said:

" Games are never completely accurate to geography. Look at any open world game, ever. And I guess that makes you the Notre Dame (Fighting) Irish?     "
GTAIVs Liberty City is really accurate to NYC. "
It's not really New York.  New York is bigger, more roads, more cars, more people, not surrounded by infinite water on all sides. 
But it is seriously well crafted, no doubt. The landmarks are well made indeed. 
Remember, it's still LC, not NY.
#6 Posted by jim_dandy (891 posts) -
@extremeradical said:
" @CL60 said:

" @extremeradical said:

It's not really New York.  New York is bigger, more roads, more cars, more people, not surrounded by infinite water on all sides. But it is seriously well crafted, no doubt. The landmarks are well made indeed. Remember, it's still LC, not NY. "

That always kinda weirded me out about GTA cities. Completely surrounded by infiinite water. 

I like to think that there was a disaster that no one talks about, forcing people onto these islands. They are the last bastions of humanity.

Liberty City, Vice City, San Andreas are all caricatures because they were attempts at rebuilding the former society which has been submerged far beneath the water.

In the inaccessible tall sky scrapers, the overlords of these cities rule with unseen technology that preserves the former lifestyle of the early century United States.
#7 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -
@jim_dandy said:
" @extremeradical said:
" @CL60 said:

" @extremeradical said:

It's not really New York.  New York is bigger, more roads, more cars, more people, not surrounded by infinite water on all sides. But it is seriously well crafted, no doubt. The landmarks are well made indeed. Remember, it's still LC, not NY. "
 That always kinda weirded me out about GTA cities. Completely surrounded by infiinite water.   I like to think that there was a disaster that no one talks about, forcing people onto these islands. They are the last bastions of humanity.  Liberty City, Vice City, San Andreas are all caricatures because they were attempts at rebuilding the former society which has been submerged far beneath the water. In the inaccessible tall sky scrapers, the overlords of these cities rule with unseen technology that preserves the former lifestyle of the early century United States. "
That is actually incredibly awesome.
#8 Posted by themartyr (691 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @extremeradical said:
What he said. Central Paris isn't all that big, I don't think it would have been too difficult to get a semi-accurate portrayal. As long as major landmarks are where they should be, I won't mind so much, but as this guy said:  
@Nasar7 said:
" Probably not at all. That's a big problem I had with Prototype personally, the geography was way off, including major landmarks, totally broke the immersion for me. "
Immersion fail if not.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.