Pandemic's Swan Song, Early Impressions.

#1 Edited by Evilsbane (4746 posts) -

I am only about 4 hours into the game but I have to say that I am rather sorry that Pandemic is now gone, I loved the first Mercinaries the 2nd...not so much and the Lord of the Rings game wasn't super hot but I had fun with it. But this game has hit me in the face like a brick. 

It really doesn't do anything new but damn if it doesn't do it with some style, what really sold me that this game had some heart behind it is right at the begining, A Nazi gets pissed and starts staring you down,  all the color drains away except for his cold blue eyes and the red band of his uniform it is pretty intense and while the story isn't anything shocking or super deep it looks like it is going to be a fun ride. 

So anyone on the fence I would say this is something you should really play with after you finish AC2, MW2, and Dragon Age. It is a good game to hold you through at least a small part of December. 

So any of you guys played it yet what is your take?

#2 Posted by Binman88 (3691 posts) -

I played it for an hour or so, up until the end of the race against the villain, so I got a small taste of the climbing and a bit of combat at the start, and I wasn't impressed. I didn't like the climbing controls that much - at one point Sean seemed to find it very difficult to drop down and hang on to a ledge, wouldn't grab on to a ladder I was aiming him at, and eventually decided to just bypass the ladder altogether and fall about 30 feet instead.

There's no faulting the art style but the graphics aren't really top notch and some of the animations, especially when running, are somewhat ridiculous. I'm not a fan of the VO either. Sean sounds comical (in a bad way) most of the time, and some of the things he says seem a bit out place (like saying "it's a piece of piss"), and not very 'Irish'. I'm sure they were going for that stereotypical sounding Irish guy, which I'm fine with, but I don't think the game really succeeds even at that. (a bit of useless information: Sean's voice actor is apparently the same guy who voiced Tenzin in Uncharted 2)

#3 Edited by Creamypies (4091 posts) -

I like it. For all it's faults and flaws it really does have style. And although, like you said, the story is nothing new... it did enough to draw me in. It sure does start off strongly. As for the sound... that certainly leaves alot to be desired. The voice overs are shoddy and the sound effects (especially on the cars, which seem to have a very dated 3 second loop when going at speed) sound just like the SFX you can use in Microsoft Kids 3D Movie Maker. Sure the game is no Uncharted... but I'd certainly recommend people at least try it out.

#4 Posted by Evilsbane (4746 posts) -
@creamypies: Yea the climbing Up part I find simplistic but it works, getting down though is not the easiest thing to do, and I found the VO work to be ok it really feels like they were trying to be overly sterotypical so take that for what it is.

@Binman88:  I haven't really noticed the sound issues but I wasn't really cranking the sound or anything it was pretty late when I started the game up but as far as the Voice overs . . . I don't know I seem to disagree I feel that the tone of the characters fits the over the topness of the game.

Cool thanks for the opinions guys.
#5 Posted by Yummylee (22575 posts) -

I've been playing it for around 4 or so hours now too. I'm past the prologue and just had the black market become available. What i've been upto mostly is just going around destroying the freeplau targets. Overall its mixed, I love the style it has and its amazing to see the contrast of black+white with the colour side by side. Almost like different dimensions. 
The shooting is solid and the climbing is easy to get used to, although it feels a little too ''automatic'' for me. 

The main problem is the stealth and how little it actually focus' in the game. Its just so easy to have your cover blown when disguised that stealth is hardly even an option besides for maybe taking out a couple of sentries. 

I love the soundtrack though and the graphics are pretty well done, especially on Sean.
#6 Posted by cannedstingray (414 posts) -

I'm about 40% complete and I'm enjoying it.. It definately isn't the best game mechanically, it's a little janky in spots and rougfh around the edges, but there is really alot to like. Once I found out how to switch the camera to first person while driving cars, now I don't mind the driving at all.. (the select button changes camera when in cars) and the shooting isn't top notch but it works and is'n super frustrating.. All the mediocre reviews aren't off base by any means but there is definately more style and atmosphere than alot of other games out there.. The gameplay mechanics work WAY better than GTA4 from what I remember, except for the ways the cars handle. GTA had the cars down better, but the running and shooting work much better in The Saboteur.. Anyway I'd say that it's definately worth a look.. I'm roughly halfway through, AC2 and Dragon Age, and will probably finish Saboteur before I go back to those others.
#7 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -
@bluecollaralaskan said:
" I'm about 40% complete and I'm enjoying it.. It definately isn't the best game mechanically, it's a little janky in spots and rougfh around the edges, but there is really alot to like. Once I found out how to switch the camera to first person while driving cars, now I don't mind the driving at all.. (the select button changes camera when in cars) and the shooting isn't top notch but it works and is'n super frustrating.. All the mediocre reviews aren't off base by any means but there is definately more style and atmosphere than alot of other games out there.. The gameplay mechanics work WAY better than GTA4 from what I remember, except for the ways the cars handle. GTA had the cars down better, but the running and shooting work much better in The Saboteur.. Anyway I'd say that it's definately worth a look.. I'm roughly halfway through, AC2 and Dragon Age, and will probably finish Saboteur before I go back to those others. "
Generally feel about the same on this one. It's not great, but I'm loving the style and core combat. The only thing I find really tedious is the climbing, which takes way too long with its animations. Even with the ho-hum story I just like the presence of the game.
#8 Posted by thecleric (793 posts) -
@snide said:
" @bluecollaralaskan said:
" I'm about 40% complete and I'm enjoying it.. It definately isn't the best game mechanically, it's a little janky in spots and rougfh around the edges, but there is really alot to like. Once I found out how to switch the camera to first person while driving cars, now I don't mind the driving at all.. (the select button changes camera when in cars) and the shooting isn't top notch but it works and is'n super frustrating.. All the mediocre reviews aren't off base by any means but there is definately more style and atmosphere than alot of other games out there.. The gameplay mechanics work WAY better than GTA4 from what I remember, except for the ways the cars handle. GTA had the cars down better, but the running and shooting work much better in The Saboteur.. Anyway I'd say that it's definately worth a look.. I'm roughly halfway through, AC2 and Dragon Age, and will probably finish Saboteur before I go back to those others. "
Generally feel about the same on this one. It's not great, but I'm loving the style and core combat. The only thing I find really tedious is the climbing, which takes way too long with its animations. Even with the ho-hum story I just like the presence of the game. "
I think that's a big deal with this game, like I've never been fans of Pandemic, but I think theme-wise they struck gold. It just makes me go 'damn, i wish someone else got a shot at this kind of game.' Like if The Agent was just like this? Black and white WW2, but with the Rockstar polish.. it'd be incredible.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.