365 Game To Play Before You Die - #1: The Secret of Monkey Island

Posted by mracoon (4915 posts) -

365 Games To Play Before You Die

Well GB has reached the 1 year milestone so I thought it was finally time to do a proper, continual blog. I'm not the kind of guy to write in-depth blog posts about what's happening in my life or trends in the game industry or anything like that but I wanted something that a feature where I could talk about games I like and keep it going. As there's 365 days in the year (and as far as I'm aware next year isn't a leap year) I thought that was a good number to keep me occupied for a while.

Anyway about this blog itself. As the title says I'm going to run down the 365 game I think that everybody should have at least tried once in their life. The games aren't in any particular order and they're not all neccessisarily good game, I just think that they're something that everybody should have experienced.

On to the first game...

#1: The Secret of Monkey Island

Platform(s): PC, XBLA, Mac and several others
Release: 1990
Developer(s): LucasArts
Best Quote: 'That's the second biggest monkey head I've ever seen'
GB Wiki Page

As the updated Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition was just released it made sense to start with this game. Back in the 90's I was young and hadn't experienced many adventure games. So when my older brother told me to play this knew game he just bought I was blown away. This game wasn't just fun it was funny. The characters were memorable, the setting was novel, the dialogue was witty and the puzzles were just the right difficulty. From the first moment you find out your character's name is Guybrush Threepwood you know this game is going to make you laugh.

The game continued LucasArts' trend of not punishing players for getting things wrong like Sierra adventure games. Guybrush can never die but if you try to do something that won't work out he'll just say 'I don't think that's a great idea' or something of the sort.

The game was also the writing debut for one of the best game writers ever: Tim Schafer. Together with Ron Gilbert and Dave Grossman they crafted a story about a naive wannabe-pirate who must save the love of his life, Elaine, from the evil ghost pirate LeChuck. His adventure takes him around the where he must use his ingenuity and insult sword fighting skills to defeat LeChuck.

I'm really lucky that this was the first adventure game I'd played because it got me into a genre which has many great games and is recently seeing a resurgence with developers like Telltale and even LucasArts themselves after the release of some of their back catalogue on Steam. With the SE just coming out on XBLA and Steam you have no excuse to not play one gaming's masterpieces.

1 down 364 to go.
#1 Edited by mracoon (4915 posts) -

365 Games To Play Before You Die

Well GB has reached the 1 year milestone so I thought it was finally time to do a proper, continual blog. I'm not the kind of guy to write in-depth blog posts about what's happening in my life or trends in the game industry or anything like that but I wanted something that a feature where I could talk about games I like and keep it going. As there's 365 days in the year (and as far as I'm aware next year isn't a leap year) I thought that was a good number to keep me occupied for a while.

Anyway about this blog itself. As the title says I'm going to run down the 365 game I think that everybody should have at least tried once in their life. The games aren't in any particular order and they're not all neccessisarily good game, I just think that they're something that everybody should have experienced.

On to the first game...

#1: The Secret of Monkey Island

Platform(s): PC, XBLA, Mac and several others
Release: 1990
Developer(s): LucasArts
Best Quote: 'That's the second biggest monkey head I've ever seen'
GB Wiki Page

As the updated Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition was just released it made sense to start with this game. Back in the 90's I was young and hadn't experienced many adventure games. So when my older brother told me to play this knew game he just bought I was blown away. This game wasn't just fun it was funny. The characters were memorable, the setting was novel, the dialogue was witty and the puzzles were just the right difficulty. From the first moment you find out your character's name is Guybrush Threepwood you know this game is going to make you laugh.

The game continued LucasArts' trend of not punishing players for getting things wrong like Sierra adventure games. Guybrush can never die but if you try to do something that won't work out he'll just say 'I don't think that's a great idea' or something of the sort.

The game was also the writing debut for one of the best game writers ever: Tim Schafer. Together with Ron Gilbert and Dave Grossman they crafted a story about a naive wannabe-pirate who must save the love of his life, Elaine, from the evil ghost pirate LeChuck. His adventure takes him around the where he must use his ingenuity and insult sword fighting skills to defeat LeChuck.

I'm really lucky that this was the first adventure game I'd played because it got me into a genre which has many great games and is recently seeing a resurgence with developers like Telltale and even LucasArts themselves after the release of some of their back catalogue on Steam. With the SE just coming out on XBLA and Steam you have no excuse to not play one gaming's masterpieces.

1 down 364 to go.
#2 Posted by JacobBrodersen (315 posts) -

Great idea! :) Look forward to seeing you list as it unfolds!
Good start!

#3 Posted by Hamz (6845 posts) -

If you manage to keep this up every day until next year, I shall be most impressed.

As for SOMI well I couldn't agree more. It is a MUST for any player.

#4 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (5805 posts) -

I like the idea of your blog, and I agree completely with your first choice.  Looking forward to reading more.

#5 Edited by Euge (108 posts) -

Interesting fact, I wrote a 2 part story based on this for a school project back in the early 90's. It was supposed to be original... but I told one from the viewpoint of guybrush and the other for leChuck, the teacher recognised the story lol plus it was proper crap so I failed. And probably not interesting :D

Edit: Sorry forgot to mention I like this blog, hope it goes well. So good luck!

#6 Posted by Claude (16251 posts) -

Played the Demo and wanted more, I'll get it before the holidays. Good luck with the blogging. So... blog on.

#7 Posted by mracoon (4915 posts) -

Thanks for the good luck, I'm sure I'll need it. I just realised what I got myself into.

#8 Posted by MattyFTM (14244 posts) -

Secret of Monkey island is a classic. If you haven't played it, you are a chazmooly.

#9 Posted by ZombiePie (5375 posts) -

The Secret to monkey I sland is a great game, but I always felt like The Curse of Monkey Island was high water mark in the series.

#10 Posted by Absurd (2934 posts) -

I love Monkey Island, maybe we'll be seeing more of the games on your list?

#11 Posted by JBird (484 posts) -

it's weird to think that when you finish this i'll be in my summer holidays after my first year of University. I wonder what how shits changed. I hope you keep it up, and if your willing to spend the time to write it, i'll read it :)

#12 Posted by StarFoxA (5123 posts) -

I got about halfway through Secret of Monkey Island once, but my file got erased. I'm going to have to pick up the XBLA version soon.

#13 Posted by GamerGeek360 (1959 posts) -

I still haven't played this! Then again, I can never find it anywhere.

#14 Posted by Satune (477 posts) -

Nice man, sounds like a tough challenge! But keep it up, I can't wait to see what other, obscure, games you will write about!

#15 Posted by Redbullet685 (5981 posts) -
@GamerGeek360: XBLA has it
#16 Posted by skunk (240 posts) -

cool idea! Monkey Island is definitely an experience. Some genuinely funny moments in this series. Be warned though, it will require a good bit of brain power. Don't be discouraged though, it's all worth it and very rewarding once you figure out the puzzles.

#17 Posted by skynidas (26 posts) -

Awesome idea for a thread, apparently this game is awesome, I hope that it comes to the PSN.

#18 Posted by mracoon (4915 posts) -
@skynidas said:
" Awesome idea for a thread, apparently this game is awesome, I hope that it comes to the PSN. "
Yeah, I don't know why they wouldn't release it on PSN. Seems stupid to not make more money.
#19 Posted by EightBitShik (1333 posts) -

I bought the game because my roommate told me all the great experiences he had growing up with the game. I think I finally should sit down and play it.

#20 Posted by EliasT (672 posts) -

You already fucked up your list, because I hate the point and click adventure genre all together.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.