LucasArts Answers Your Questions About Monkey Island XBLA

Posted by Brad (3009 posts) -
Staff
#1 Posted by Brad (3009 posts) -
Staff
#2 Posted by SuperMooseman (358 posts) -

I just want to know what Stan looks like...
WOO STAN!

#3 Posted by i83N (35 posts) -

O man i loved those SCUM engine dos games.

#4 Edited by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1530 posts) -

Awesome game.  Would love to play through it again with some new graphics.

I like the new art a lot too.  Voicework and everything.  Nice.

#5 Posted by Milkman (16807 posts) -

I really don't like the art style at all.

#6 Posted by damswedon (3191 posts) -

i dont think guybrush is guybrush without dominic armato doing the voice

#7 Posted by Tortoise (187 posts) -

Q: Can we have it on PSN as well please? :-|

#8 Posted by mracoon (4971 posts) -

Sooooooooo excited for this game.

#9 Posted by Reverseface (1221 posts) -

LA CHUCK LA CHUCK WILL F YOU UP

#10 Posted by Crono (2670 posts) -

i heard so much about this game growing up but never played it.  i am excited to get the chance to try it out.

#11 Posted by YoungDetective (93 posts) -

Wow. I love MI, but that really looks pretty awful.

#12 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6200 posts) -

I'm looking forward to some shiny new insult sword fights!

#13 Posted by coffeesash (347 posts) -

I want to know why they've stripped the game of Steve Purcell's wonderful art and replaced it with artwork you'd find languishing on Deviantart and put all the backgrounds through a bad Photoshop filter.

#14 Edited by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1530 posts) -
@coffeesash said:
" I want to know why they've stripped the game of Steve Purcell's wonderful art and replaced it with artwork you'd find languishing on Deviantart and put all the backgrounds through a bad Photoshop filter. "
Clearly you didn't watch the video.  You can press one button to swtich back to the old art on the fly at any time.  Perhaps everyone could be informed before bitching?
#15 Posted by eduardo (360 posts) -

This game is gonna be awesome, for sure. I hope it's a success so they'll do the same thing with the other SCUMM games too.

#16 Posted by eduardo (360 posts) -

This game is gonna be awesome, for sure. I hope it's a success so they'll do the same thing with the other SCUMM games too.

#17 Edited by coffeesash (347 posts) -
@Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
" Clearly you didn't watch the video.  You can press one button to swtich back to the old art on the fly at any time.  Perhaps everyone could be informed before bitching? "
@Stephen_Von_Cloud: I know you can switch it back, it's just a shame that they chose this style for the new hi-res graphics, it just seems like a waste. At least there's still the voice overs and music to look forward to. Perhaps everyone could give everyone benefit of the doubt before bitching about other people bitching? :) I apologise for being harsh on the new style, but it just doesn't seem right to me, messing that much with a classic with an established art style.
#18 Posted by Llama (180 posts) -

They better bring it to Steam as well, damn XBLA :@

#19 Posted by darkjester74 (1578 posts) -

I was concerned about the art direction in this game but after seeing it in action I am ON BOARD!  Hell yes!

#20 Posted by coolguitarist (7 posts) -

PSN and Wii pls!!!

#21 Posted by SuperMooseman (358 posts) -
@coolguitarist said:
" PSN and Wii pls!!! "
Just play it on the PC like it was designed for originally.
#22 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

I am very excited for this. I loved playing this game years and years ago, as well as the PS2 one (Escape from Monkey Island) so this is just going to be grrrrrr-eat!

#23 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

so... supermooseman buy s a360 nao?

#24 Posted by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1530 posts) -
@coffeesash said:
" @Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
" Clearly you didn't watch the video.  You can press one button to swtich back to the old art on the fly at any time.  Perhaps everyone could be informed before bitching? "
@Stephen_Von_Cloud: I know you can switch it back, it's just a shame that they chose this style for the new hi-res graphics, it just seems like a waste. At least there's still the voice overs and music to look forward to. Perhaps everyone could give everyone benefit of the doubt before bitching about other people bitching? :) I apologise for being harsh on the new style, but it just doesn't seem right to me, messing that much with a classic with an established art style. "
If it's still in there there's absolutely nothing to complain about.  They've only provided new art for people who want it.
#25 Posted by coffeesash (347 posts) -

Crikey, I know the original graphics are still there, with a press of a button. The biggest draw is meant to be the new graphics though, and they could have gotten Steve Purcell's original drawings, scanned them and CG'd them at 1080P. If his blessing wasn't possible, then it still could have been made similar, see So Blonde as an example. This is meant to be for old fans as much as drawing in new ones and I can't help feeling disappointed, that's all. I am very happy that the Curse of Monkey Island team is doing the voice over and a new soundtrack will be interesting to hear as it will be mostly orchestrated with real instruments unlike the existing cd audio one.

#26 Posted by theMcNasty (740 posts) -

Definite Buy.  Hopefully it comes on Wii.  Point 'n click seems set up for it.

#27 Posted by Nogert (132 posts) -

Personally I don't like the new style, guybrush looks like he has a mullet, but I will be definetly playing this again.

#28 Posted by Tackchevy (264 posts) -
That's not the way that Guybrush really looks. They really went out of their way to make him as squeamish and pathetic as possible... He's actually much more normal and casual in real life.
#29 Posted by Tackchevy (264 posts) -
@theMcNasty: word
#30 Posted by killdave (1073 posts) -

Monkey Island was awesome.

I'll be buying some more MS points soon I think ^^

#31 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

Awesome. I hope LucasArts teams up with Tim Schafer again to help bring back the classic SCUMM games like Day of The Tentacle, Full Throttle and Grim Fandango.

#32 Posted by Kazona (3068 posts) -

Monkey Island is one of the funniest adventure games ever. I want this :D

#33 Posted by logan2k_17 (22 posts) -

Oh man if this goes well we might be able to see Full Throttle and The Dig....!!!1

#34 Posted by giyanks22 (2681 posts) -

I cannot wait!!!

#35 Posted by Mysterysheep (362 posts) -

Ehh... You already uploaded this trailer..

#36 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

cool

#37 Edited by MattyFTM (14385 posts) -

The dude on facebook was fairly average. All he said were fairly average PR answers. Stuff like "We'll see" and "We haven't finalized those details yet". He completely ignored my favourite question, which was "How did you get LucasArts to stop thinking about Star Wars for 2 seconds?"

#38 Posted by Jimbo (9815 posts) -

Having thought about it, I hope they leave Full Throttle the hell alone.  It still looks perfect as it is.

Compare the Full Throttle intro with the Full Throttle 2 trailer and you will understand.

#39 Posted by Ronnoc (1 posts) -

OK, I'm a bit confused on your personal preference then Coffeesash. The game looks exactly like what you proposed the developers should have done. There's higher detail, smoother surfaces, and flashier effects of damn close as possible akin to the original art style. I really don't see how you couldn't like them, other than if you just have some sort of spiteful, resentful, nature towards this re-make, or re-makes in general. 

I missed out on the original when it was popular and I'm more than thrilled to have this modernized and on the XBLA. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.