Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Secret of Monkey Island

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Oct 31, 1990

The first game in the legendary Monkey Island series. Guybrush's desire to become a swashbuckling pirate gets him more adventure than he bargained for.

The Secret Of Monkey Island. Still Good?

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

I have the original laying around, but have never played it (it was a family members). I've always heard good things about it, but adventure games are always a bit time intensive the first time through, so I was just wondering:

Does it hold up today? Do you, the good people at Giant Bomb, heartily recommend I go on this undertaking?

Because the last adventure game I tried--which was suggested to me--was Indigo Prophecy. And yeah, well, let's not get into that.
    Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Absurd

If you don't like the look of the old version, you could wait for the remake that's coming out soon?

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic
    I don't mind the look, just wondering if it's as solid as everyone says it is.

@dcpc10:

Oh I loved the game, up until all the characters feel apart and started acting ridiculously and then suddenly there was Purple and Orange Clans (not to mention that those are just terrible names). I don't hate the game by any means, but oh man was I upset with the way it went. Most people feel that way, though, and I didn't feel it necessary to really harp on it again. But yeah, the first 2/3 were amazing.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I'll find out next week when the special edition comes out. I'm willing to bet a lot of money on it still being good though.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @CrossTheAtlantic said:
    " I have the original laying around, but have never played it (it was a family members). I've always heard good things about it, but adventure games are always a bit time intensive the first time through, so I was just wondering:

Does it hold up today? Do you, the good people at Giant Bomb, heartily recommend I go on this undertaking?

Because the last adventure game I tried--which was suggested to me--was Indigo Prophecy. And yeah, well, let's not get into that.
    "
    Well I just bought Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis on Steam about week ago because I love Mr. Henry Jones Sr. so much, but the game still totally stands up and I have never played a point and click game. So Im looking forward to the new Monkey Island game.(I just cant decide whether to buy it on my 360 or on my pc.)
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By mracoon

The only thing that doesn't really hold is the graphics but apart from that it's timeless.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By zitosilva

Well, Indigo Prophecy doesn't really have a lot in common with Monkey Island.

But, yes, The Secret of Monkey Island is still good. The dialogues are excelent, the game is fun and funny from begining to end and the puzzles are smart and interesting. Most importantly, the game still retains the atmosphere it had back then, which is what makes it so special.

But, having said that, it can't hurt to wait a few more days and get the Special Version. Aside from the graphics, you'll get all the voice, and Dominic Armato really makes a huge differenc in portraying Guybrush. He also is great with his timing, making all the jokes much funnier.

jamescheong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By jamescheong

The original (and its sequels aside from Escape) are still classics regardless of how retro the graphics are. They still beat the new graphics in this "remake" ... I want to puke all over the art director for the remake as it's just a terrible, terrible job. If they were going to remake the graphics of the game they might as well have remade it in the style of Curse, not this "let's redraw everything to look shittier, but in high res."

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By jimbo_n

Everyone who didnt play this one originally now has the perfect opportunity to get into the series. Go download the XBLA version TODAY and experience it either in classic mode OR new freshed up mode. Then go download Tales of Monkey Island ep.1
    Man, its such a great time to see this franshise coming back for all those ho missed it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.