Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Secret World

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jul 03, 2012

Developed by Funcom, The Secret World is an MMORPG influenced by ancient mythology and legend.

Did anybody else see this and say, "OMFG!"

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By napalm

I was looking for Constantine's Holy Shotgun from the film, and I ended up stumbling across this trailer and subsequently looked up some information about the game. This trailer was awesome. I hope the game is as good. From what I understand so far, it's an MMORPG that is set in modern day and it's being released for the Xbox 360 (hopefully) and the PC.

I typically stay away from MMORPGs because I don't give a shit about World Of Warcraft, but I've been waiting for something huge like this.

What does everybody else think?
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By End_Boss

The game might look good if the trailer gave me any clues as to what it was about.

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cspiffo

Look's pretty damn cool!  Can't wait!

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pause422

There isnt shit known on the game really at all yet publicly, besides just reading things. Of course a CG trailer isnt telling you anything about the game. I found out about its existence earlier this year, and I was definitely interested to see what its about. Still no real information or anything in game shown.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Meltac

I think the game is going to be a MMO, but I can't really remember

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By napalm

Yes. It's am MMORPG for the PC and Xbox 360. The details are right on the main page here, as well as Wikipedia.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Meltac

Hah, sorry then :P The CGI trailer was cool, but well, it was CG. Looking forward to see something from the actual game

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By ZombiePie

The trailer shows us nothing, so I'm not impressed.

Also this game is the reason why development for Dreamfall Chapters hasn't yet begun, since all prospective developers are working on this. So fuck this game....

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By StarFoxA

I realized it was CG about 30 seconds in.

Whoa.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Geno

Saw the first trailer a few months back, was pretty impressed. But then realized it was probably just going to be another generic MMO. I'm waiting on Guild Wars 2 and whatever Blizzard next brings us. 

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By napalm

Since it's for the Xbox 360, I'll probably buy it.

@ZombiePie said:

" The trailer shows us nothing, so I'm not impressed.  Also this game is the reason why development for Dreamfall Chapters hasn't yet begun, since all prospective developers are working on this. So fuck this game.... "

Somebody is butthurt.
    Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @Napalm said:
    " Since it's for the Xbox 360, I'll probably buy it. "
    That is far from guaranteed. Age of Conan (which is also by Funcom) was intended to have a 360 version, but it's essentially vaporware at this point. Champions Online developer Cryptic says they are done with the 360 version but issues with Microsoft make it impossible to release.

My guess is that the main problem is the same as with the free TF2 updates - MS doesn't want such huge updates being mandatory downloads for everyone, and for free at that. With that in mind I'm thinking the issues between MS and MMO developers will be insurmountable.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By napalm
    @Bigandtasty said:
    " @Napalm said:
    " Since it's for the Xbox 360, I'll probably buy it. "
    That is far from guaranteed. Age of Conan (which is also by Funcom) was intended to have a 360 version, but it's essentially vaporware at this point. Champions Online developer Cryptic says they are done with the 360 version but issues with Microsoft make it impossible to release. My guess is that the main problem is the same as with the free TF2 updates - MS doesn't want such huge updates being mandatory downloads for everyone, and for free at that. With that in mind I'm thinking the issues between MS and MMO developers will be insurmountable. "
    Well, Xbox 360 titles aren't made or broken by its updates. Most games are dealt with as much to completion as possible, and usually an update within the first month or so is realized to fix anything game breaking. Updates for the 360 titles are MUCH less than its PC counterpart, so I can see them stripping down a lot of updates and combining them to only the bare essentials needed.

However, I do see your point, but there is also a possibility of them adjusting certain issues, mechanics, etc. for it to work better on the 360.
    ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ZombiePie
    @Napalm: Absolutely.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By toowalrus

I saw this and said 'meh.'

It's kinda like that bug demon scene in Constantine, but a cartoon.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Teoball

Well, we're not gonna see this game for a while I think. Funcom fired a bunch of people a couple of months ago, and announced that The Secret World is delayed a few months. 
    They also mentioned that the development of  Dreamfall : Chapters is on indefinite hold.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By napalm
    @ZombiePie said:

" @Napalm: Absolutely. "

Well, at least you're honest about it. I can respect the passion.

@Teoball said:
    "

Well, we're not gonna see this game for a while I think. Funcom fired a bunch of people a couple of months ago, and announced that The Secret World is delayed a few months. 
    They also mentioned that the development of  Dreamfall : Chapters is on indefinite hold.

"
    Tell me about Dreamfall: Chapters.
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Griddler

It's a Ragnar Tornquist game so you know at some point a girl will be in her panties.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By CaptainObvious

Trailer for Warhammer Online was great too....

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Scooper

Looks cool. If there's a decent console version I'll check it out. The Trailer looked pretty fresh and interesting.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21  Edited By Jeust

The game is supposed to be an mmorpg that takes place in in the real world japan, with the normal paraphernalia of monsters and weapons, including firearms.

It looks cool...

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By Evilsbane

If it wasn't an MMO I would be excited looked kinda cool but its an MMO so its just gonna try to cop WoW like every single MMO since WoW has come out.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By penguindust

This game used to be one of my most anticipated games forthcoming, but the financial woes that the company is going through coupled with the delay leads me to believe that the game will be a huge bust.  Too bad because I really love the concept.  I fear the final product, whenever we do get to see it, will ship broken and Funcom won't have the resources to fix it before people label it as crap and migrate back to WoW (or maybe the Old Republic by then).

Still, I love their trailers...just wish they'd show some game play by now.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By Linkyshinks

The developers have yet to show gameplay footage of this game, it was shown behind closed doors at GDC  though. On paper it sounds cool, but that means little until you see the meat of the product.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ZombiePie
    @Napalm: Dreamfall: Chapters was going to be the third part of the Longest Journey franchise (the first being The Longest Journey and the second being Dreamfall: The Longest Journey). Chapters was higly anticipated by fans like myself because Dreamfall ended on a confusing and overly ambiguous ending that screamed for a timely sequel.  Now it would appear that it probably will not not ever see the light of day, and The Secret World is partially to blame (although Funcom's recent mishandling of Age of Conan and current financial difficulties are mostly to blame). You know what? It was my fault for thinking that they were actually going to develop and release Chapters in a timely fashion, especially considering that it was six years after the release of The Longest Journey when Dreamfall: The Longest Journey came out.
    CashBailey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CashBailey
    @girdz said:

" It's a Ragnar Tornquist game so you know at some point a girl will be in her panties. "

Heh-heh... Too true.

But THE LONGEST JOURNEY was a masterpiece. It had probably the most dense, detailed narrative I've ever seen in a game. With Tornquist doing an MMO guess I have to hope it comes to the PC.
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By Griddler
    @CashBailey: I'm pretty sure it's confirmed for the PC. But yeah totally, Longest Journey is my favourite game of all time.
    RiddleBrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By RiddleBrother

I can't fucking wait for this game.

LlamaLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LlamaLlama

Looks like it will be quite the interesting game, but how is it going to stand up against the big name MMOs that are coming out? I wish it all the best and may even try it out, but I have this feeling that it will get dwarfed in the shadows of other upcoming MMOs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.