Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Secret World

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jul 03, 2012

Developed by Funcom, The Secret World is an MMORPG influenced by ancient mythology and legend.

How is this game?

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

I don't know what it is, but I'm feeling a strong craving to own this game. 
    I've heard that the CoH/V refugees have all ran to Secret World & not 
    as many to Champions Online.  It must be pretty good.  The content  
    certainly looks original. 

How is this game, folks?

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

Its going F2P now so hold off for a minute, it must be doing really well with a huge subscriber base to go down that road!

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

Its going F2P now so hold off for a minute, it must be doing really well with a huge subscriber base to go down that road!

Just wanted to point out that while it is going free to play, you still have to buy the game ala Guild Wars 2 and not The Old Republic where you can play without paying any money.

pleasedaddyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pleasedaddyno

my take is it's like Frankenstein's monster comprised of L4D + Dead Island + DayZ + Call of Cthulhu + EVE + Matrix Online + ...

(was about to post a fairly good let's play of it for you, but, really, the start of it before choosing the faction and starting the game proper should not be spoiled)

this is going F2P. finally?? it feels like i've been waiting forever. you like MMOs? get it. catch it.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By WinterSnowblind

It's nice to see more games going the Guild Wars route. Just because I'm not invested enough to subscribe to a game monthly, doesn't automatically mean I don't want to spend anything on it and have to be pestered with microtransactions constantly.

That said, Guild Wars was designed from the start to be a "buy to play" game. Now that the launch hype (what little there was) has died down, is this really going to bring people to the game in flocks? Old Republic would have benefited from a B2P model hugely, I'm just not sure there interest is there for Secret World. I'm a bit worried about the conversion actually entails too. Exactly what will we have access to and how will future updates work? (which so far have been totally free in GW2). It seems everything will still be divided between two types of players and that's just never good for a game or its community.

I'm at least interested in trying out the game now, especially if it shows up on the Steam sales.. but I have my doubts about the games future.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ShockD
    @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    I've heard that the CoH/V refugees have all ran to Secret World & not as many to Champions Online.
    Wait a sec, how does Company of Heroes fit into the picture here?
    ultrapeanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By ultrapeanut

I haven't played CoH regularly in years but I've been thinking about grabbing this now that it's basically the price of a higher-budget indie game (Steam sale). I really miss the vibe CoX had when I was playing and would love something similar to pass some time. [Note that by 'vibe' I mean thee attitude of the player base and scope of the game and whatnot, though I also loved Croatoa so it works on that level, too]

For anyone who's played, how annoying are the google quests, anyways? Was Jeff overselling them/were they fixed at all?

Avatar image for thebeastwithtwobacks
    thebeastwithtwobacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultrapeanut said:

For anyone who's played, how annoying are the google quests, anyways? Was Jeff overselling them/were they fixed at all?

I ran into the same problem as Jeff with the first results being TSW forums, but you can easily just not click on those and find the answer yourself if you want that experience. Really wasn't a big deal.

newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By newhaap

@ShockD said:

@Lind_L_Taylor said:
    I've heard that the CoH/V refugees have all ran to Secret World & not as many to Champions Online.
    Wait a sec, how does Company of Heroes fit into the picture here?

City of Heroes

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By project343

@ultrapeanut said:

The 'Google quests' (i.e. investigation missions) are the highlight of the game. They do not need to be fixed.

ultrapeanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ultrapeanut

Very cool to hear such a positive opinion, then. I guess I have a couple of weeks to decide, but it seems like a chance worth taking.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CatsAkimbo

There's an alternate reality game (ARG) going on for the secret world right now: http://situationroom.thesecretworld.com/

It's getting pretty difficult, but you can look up some of the answers so far. I got an ingame t-shirt and some xp potions! (yay.) Also you don't have to own the game to mess around with the ARG.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.