The Secret World is kind of awesome right now

#1 Edited by therealnelsk (321 posts) -

So this game is super interesting, I've just come back to it after they dropped their sub fee - it's basically a f2pmmo game now that was originally built without that model in mind. It feels like a proper full priced product without the insane barriers to progression typical f2p games utilize to force you to buy shit. The atmosphere, character progression, and story are entirely unique in a genre filled with tired tropes ( and I feel like they stand pretty well on their own merit ). If you're into mmo's at all, I feel like you should at least give it a try. It's selling on steam now for sale at $22, which in my opinion, is a steal. If you aren't willing to take the leap quite yet, I'm streaming my noobness all the time on my channel: http://www.twitch.tv/nelsk14

Are there any other duders out there actively playing? Would love to hear a more experienced player's perspective/hook up for some quests.

#2 Posted by OfficeGamer (1086 posts) -

I remember reading early previews of this game on Gamespot long years ago.. I remember I was intrigued by it.

The end.

#3 Posted by TheHT (11820 posts) -

I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it maybe 5 times since they dropped the subscription. I like everything about it except the part where you play it. That part's just not very fun.

One day when I've got nothing else to play I'll reinstall it and get deep into it, because everything else about it is speakin my fuckin language.

#4 Edited by Karkarov (3291 posts) -

Oh it is a great game for people tired of the standard mmo bs. No classes, freedom to make whatever character you want and change your entire playstyle if you get tired of it. Great story, good voice acting, good graphics. It's "action combat" is maybe a step below Guild Wars 2 and it's pvp is totally wacko due to the way you build characters... but other than that it is fine. End game the only issue is melee play is insanely punishing, many people won't even take you in a group of you are melee and anything other than a tank because there is 0 room for error on dodging cc's or aoe attacks.

As far as I care it is the best mmo to just sit back and play on the market. However don't expect some sort of WoW like endgamegasm of content. In secret world it really is about the journey, not the destination, which is what turns off most mmo lifers who think max level is the games start.

#5 Edited by therealnelsk (321 posts) -

@karkarov said:

As far as I care it is the best mmo to just sit back and play on the market. However don't expect some sort of WoW like endgamegasm of content. In secret world it really is about the journey, not the destination, which is what turns off most mmo lifers who think max level is the games start.

I honestly think this is enough for me. The moment to moment stories they tell within the setting are compelling. Also, no sub fee is a big selling point. Whenever I'm paying monthly, I feel like a need to compulsively keep playing. With TSW, I feel like I can walk away once satisfied without feeling any sort of guilt. And truth be told, there's some really good content to explore here.

#6 Posted by Karkarov (3291 posts) -

@m3rphy said:

I honestly think this is enough for me. The moment to moment stories they tell within the setting are compelling. Also, no sub fee is a big selling point. Whenever I'm paying monthly, I feel like a need to compulsively keep playing. With TSW, I feel like I can walk away once satisfied without feeling any sort of guilt. And truth be told, there's some really good content to explore here.

I agree. It is a great game to take your time with and play at your leisure.

#7 Posted by McShank (1630 posts) -

I remember reading early previews of this game on Gamespot long years ago.. I remember I was intrigued by it.

The end.

This game is yet to be a year old. You comment has been found to be pointless.

The end.

#8 Edited by therealnelsk (321 posts) -

@mcshank: Apparently they're regularly coming out with awesome content updates. I don't think I'm far enough in to appreciate them, but they look awesome.

#9 Posted by Gonmog (602 posts) -

Yeah it is a well worth while game i think.

#10 Posted by TheHT (11820 posts) -

@mcshank said:

@officegamer said:

I remember reading early previews of this game on Gamespot long years ago.. I remember I was intrigued by it.

The end.

This game is yet to be a year old. You comment has been found to be pointless.

The end.

Note the "early previews" part.

#11 Posted by therealnelsk (321 posts) -

@theht:

@theht said:

@mcshank said:

@officegamer said:

I remember reading early previews of this game on Gamespot long years ago.. I remember I was intrigued by it.

The end.

This game is yet to be a year old. You comment has been found to be pointless.

The end.

Note the "early previews" part.

I think it's evolved into its own game since it realized the traditional mmo is not going to work anymore. Period.

#12 Posted by TheHT (11820 posts) -

@m3rphy said:

@theht:

@theht said:

@mcshank said:

@officegamer said:

I remember reading early previews of this game on Gamespot long years ago.. I remember I was intrigued by it.

The end.

This game is yet to be a year old. You comment has been found to be pointless.

The end.

Note the "early previews" part.

I think it's evolved into its own game since it realized the traditional mmo is not going to work anymore. Period.

OK? I don't see where your or McShank's response to OfficeGamer are coming from.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.