Wow...

#1 Posted by LunaticJ (60 posts) -

Anyone else think this game just looks pure amazing? :D

#2 Posted by benjaebe (2784 posts) -

It actually does look really interesting. I thought it was dead in the water for awhile but Funcom seems to be moving ahead with it.

#3 Posted by AyKay_47 (293 posts) -

You must not have been around for Age of Conan.

#4 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@AyKay_47 said:

What about it? It's pretty good now. Had a very rough start though.
#5 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

I'm gonna be cautiously optimistic about it. Looks really cool but I'm always worried when games take forever in development.

#6 Posted by LunaticJ (60 posts) -

I was talking to my friend about wanting a new MMO with new idea, different ways of levelling, and not just another simple MMO structure, and then BAM!, this pops out of nowhere, like sent from heaven...

#7 Posted by destruktive (1069 posts) -
@CL60 said:
@AyKay_47 said:

That's how funcom works. They release games and make them better.
#8 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

I forgot all about this game. I'm catching up on the videos now.

#9 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

I like the "True Freedom of Progression" idea. I haven't played many MMO's, but I really want this.

#10 Posted by AyKay_47 (293 posts) -
@CL60 said:
@AyKay_47 said:

And by now, I, who was beyond excited for that game, have either gone back to the good shit I was playing before, or am excited for something new. Although, MMOs don't hold as much appeal for me as they used to in general.

Oh, and that rough start lasted a good couple of months. Which would have been a good couple hundred dollars out of my pocket for a game that ran out of content after level 30 of 80.
#11 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4804 posts) -

My problem with the game is that they flat out said you'll have to Google the names and places they give you in puzzles in order to solve them. I'm sorry, but I don't play games just so I can purposely look up information. The idea is cool and gameplay looks great, but the puzzle solving element has got to change.

#12 Posted by LunaticJ (60 posts) -
@Axxol: I only really played WoW, and a little LoTRo
so this is like completely new to me, can't wait, honestly.
#13 Posted by defaulttag (890 posts) -

Looks pretty solid. The MMO space is pretty tough right now with SWTOR coming up and WoW continuing to dominate. I actually want this game to succeed. It looks quite intriguing.
#14 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

This tends to be the case with most Funcom projects. They definitely need to learn not to rush stuff out (AO/AoC), as clearly has been their main issue so far in my opinion. There's a certain standard coming together on what people will tolerate of bugs and server issues even for MMOs, and that's a good thing. A polished and thoroughly made game is what Funcom needs at this point. Additionally, I fear that they might be aiming above the attention-span of the mainstream crowd for this one. Do kids/teens playing MMOs care for conspiracy theories? Maybe that stuff is just the story and theme on the side, and there'll be quests and your usual MMO-business as the main course for players.

#15 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Let them spit this out so we can get a new The Longest Journey game already.

#16 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

I'm not really sure how an MMO can be 'wow-amazing'.  

Yes yes, the stories and fiction are amazing, the worlds are huge, but that's about it. You run around right clicking on NPCs to get quests and the combat consists of clicking on enemies and waiting for your character to finish as the various bars re-fill. 

So, yes, watching the trailer made me go WOW, but then I remember that it's an MMO, imagined actually playing it in real time, and thought "I'll pass on all the wandering, clicking, reading and waiting. Thanks."

#17 Posted by Brodehouse (10128 posts) -

Could be cool, could be burning garbage. Ah whatever. I'm in. At least for a month.

#18 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3924 posts) -

The trailers have been great I like the idea. I'm not really an MMO player though so until the 40K one comes out I'd probably just give a trial run a go.

#19 Posted by Moreau_MD (401 posts) -

I actually loved the Conan MMO for what little I played of it- original, deep mechanics and a brutal near-real old world setting. Such a shame it had a bad start as it could have evolved into something truly amazing with enough users...still, at least its free to play.

I hate the art direction, concept and story behind secret world- it all just seems really immature. We had eerie, atmospheric CGI trailers...why does the actually game look like an 'adult' scoobie-doo revamp? The concept is just plain dumb- not only could the groups not be more cliche (Templar and Illuminati...oh... OK) but the handling of them is atrocious. Since when did the clanedestine, all pervasive, membership of the Illuminati include such numenaries as the likes of Lady Gaga and Little Wayne?!? They're meant to be devotees of Gnostic knowledge not a club-house for the latest cheap and vacuous celebrities. The Templar are apparently white haired, douchy looking Abercrombie and Fitch rejects...WHAT?!? Also Chinese people. This story has absolutely no longevity beyond it's initial idea; huge mistake for an MMO.

Oh, and the biggest joke. For a game that's titled Secret World, the organizations could not make themselves look anymore obvious. Symbol displayed blatantly on every piece of clothing, Headquaters clearly visible- Christ the members of each faction are even color-coded. I know, I know...this is an MMO so things have to jump out at you and be clearly represented...that's why hidden global secrets are the last thing you should base an MMO's story and concept on.

#20 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

The wiki says April 2012 release, is this even in beta yet? Or are Funcom gonna let people beta test it by releasing the game?

#21 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

I'll hold judgement untill release im not a big MMO player so i dont know what to expect really. The trailers are neat though.

#22 Posted by Ghostiet (5315 posts) -
@Sooty said:

The only way to get that sequel is to pack our asses in mass, get into Ragnar Tornquist's house, beat the crap out of him, bring him to the nearest bridge and threaten him with hanging him by the balls. Because his grasp of the meaning of the term "episodic content" is even slimmer than Valve's.
#23 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

@Sooty said:

A point-and-click adventure game, or something else in the TLJ universe? I'm not entirely sure a p&c game can do really well these days. It almost seems like a forgotten genre. I think the indy game Machinarium did pretty well, but besides that there isn't a whole lot to be amazed about.

#24 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Funkydupe said:

@Sooty said:

A point-and-click adventure game, or something else in the TLJ universe? I'm not entirely sure a p&c game can do really well these days. It almost seems like a forgotten genre. I think the indy game Machinarium did pretty well, but besides that there isn't a whole lot to be amazed about.

Something like Dreamfall would be good, third person exploration adventure of some sort, a 3D platformer could work quite well if done right. I think if they made another point and click it would sell quite well but it'd end up being a fairly cheap Steam/XBLA/PSN release like all recent point and clicks. I would even say something like Enslaved could work, but I don't really want too much action in it.

#25 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

I want my invite to the ongoing Closed Beta, please.

#26 Posted by hawkster (13 posts) -

The recent location preview videos they've released are turning me off from the game. I originally liked the dark, surreal atmosphere of the game's setting, but not if it's still all about running around and shooting/slashing/fireballing stuff with a click over and over again. But I'm not completely disinterested yet. Will wait for reviews...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.