Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Settlers

Franchise »

The Settlers is a long running strategy game series that has taken many forms over the years.

The Settlers : yay for little farmers!

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By VACkillers

As im a big settlers fan, i figured i'd start a small little thread on the Settlers series as a whole... I've been playing settlers games ever since it was first ever released on the amiga back in the early 90s, and was actually probably one of my most played games of all time to be honest, with all the hours, days and weekends i used to spend playing this. I can remember spending entire weekends with my buddys playing this with 2 mouse's and was just a total blast!

Now with Settlers : Rise of nations released as the newest edition to the franchise, if there are any fellow settlers players out there i'd like to know how you feel about this recent addition? because as a long settlers player, im not sure if i liked in which the direction of the game has gone? as im pretty old school i actually loved how the older games played compared with a much more RTS free style kind of gameplay. Now for those who dont know what i mean exactly about that, back in the older settlers games, you had to build roads and paths in order for your people to get around the citys and stuff which made it much more important to micro-manage everything, determin which kind of livestock, ore or materials was most important for your settlers to pick to first at cross-roads ect... with Rise Of Nations, and even before with Heritage of Kings, they've kind of done away with that micro-management and no longer really a road/path system which i miss. 

The graphics are absolutely superb!! i just totally love how the newer versions of the settlers look and feel, just beautifull but like to know from fellow settler fans and players their thoughts on the series as awhole?

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By unclejohnny79

Actually never really heard of it

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By VACkillers

you should go check it out, might be quietly supprised, i've been addicted to this games for a very long time.... even though the games have changed a lot down the years, the essential core gameplay is still there and a really nice alternative to the typical RTS's out there... this is much better then AOE in my opinion... but it plays different from that....

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4  Edited By OGCartman

Sounds pretty good

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I loved settlers 1 & 2, but I feel the series went downhill with 3 and 4. They were fun games, but they just didn't have the magic of the first 2. I haven't played any of the recent additions to the series.

Aas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Aas

The Settlers II was so pimp... Just thought I'd add that.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Termite

I've heard a lot about the settlers games and looked into them multiple times, but somehow never felt compelled enough to buy one.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By VACkillers

Yea i'd have to agree with MattyFTM, that settlers 3 and 4 were definitely not as good as the first 2, the first 2 are epic in gameplay, all there is to it, but i really hated the fact that your fisherman would run out of fish on settlers 2, i really loved my fishing lol....  Heritage of kings is where the series kinda came back to how it used to be in my opinion, but still lacked the original gameplay, was more of your traditional RTS with the settles style and was a lot of fun actually, and played and spent a lot of hours on that game actually... Grahpics were pretty neat aswell..... Rise Of an Empire has really stepped up the graphics a lot! and the CGI videos in it are superb! if you have a 512mb graphics card, you can crank all the graphical features right up.... Settlers is all about economey and being able to watch every single person in your city doing their job, the attention to detail is staggering.....

benitobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By benitobb

I never heard of this game until the announcement of Settlers 7, but it looks really good and like my kind of game, I love Age of Empires, Starcraft, and Heroes of Might and Magic (I know this is not the same genre).  I hear these are big in Europe, but they probably have US versions I could play right? Would it be worth it to get 1 or 2 just to see what it's about?
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By raiz265

3 was great imho. i never played the first two though, that was before my time 

and i really liked the factions of the 4th, apart from those undead-creep-dudes in the storymode

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @benitobb:  If you want to check them out I'd go for The Settlers II: 10th Anniversary. It's essentially the settlers 2 (which is the high point in the series, in my opinion) but with updated graphics. The graphics of the original are really outdated and are probably a huge barrier of entry for someone without the nostalgia factor. But the 10th Anniversary edition updates it with lovely modern graphics. Definately worth checking out. I can't speak for it's availability in the states though, since I'm from the UK. I'm sure it will have come out over there though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.