The Simpsons Arcade Game Is Coming to XBLA/PSN Alarmingly Soon

• 146 results
Posted by Alex (1978 posts) -

Rumors have been kicking around about an XBLA/PSN release of Konami's sort of classic The Simpsons Arcade Game for a while now. Initially we all dismissed them given that EA most recently held The Simpsons license, and maybe wouldn't necessarily be so into that kind of thing, but the rumor persisted, and became more and more realistic. Once achievements started popping up, the rumor was all but sealed as truth.

Finally, a whole new generation can be introduced to the barely tolerable concept of Bartman.

Now Konami has finally gotten around to outright confirming the game's release, acknowledging that players will be able to download the arcade classic in the immediate future. How immediate? How about the day after tomorrow (February 3) for Xbox Live Arcade downloaders, and this coming Tuesday for PSN users?

Yes, Microsoft does have a bit of exclusivity on this one, but the bonus for PSN players is that if you happen to be a PlayStation Plus member, you'll get the game for free. Everyone else will have to pay $9.99, or 800 Microsoft Point Dollars.

For the uninitiated, The Simpsons Arcade Game was an early '90s beat-'em-up featuring up to four players taking on the roles of Homer, Marge, Bart, and Lisa as they tracked down the dastardly Smithers, who kidnapped Maggie for some reason. I think it involved a diamond of some kind. Anyway, the point is that you beat your way through the game's various levels, knocking around various grunts in suits, other grunts in suits that also had hammers for some reason, and the occasional bear. It was also really short and deeply repetitive, and existed more as an extension of the Simpsons merchandising blitz of the early '90s than anything else. It was still way better than Bart vs. The Space Mutants, at least.

Like most other four-player arcade games that have come to consoles as downloads, this port will feature online play. It also comes with a few pieces of extra content, including a Japanese version of the game that features some different scoring mechanics.

And also like most other four-player arcade games that have come to consoles as downloads, this port will undoubtedly seem like a really awesome idea until you and your friends beat it in less than an hour, and then immediately forget about it like those digital copies of X-Men Arcade, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Arcade Game, and Final Fight you still have on your hard drive, yet haven't touched since the week you bought them.

Look, I'm not judging you. I'm just saying, if there were such a thing as digital dust, downloadable ports of arcade beat-'em-ups would be the second best of all digital dust collectors, behind only all those Game Room games you remember only with scorn and disappointment. It's okay. You're not alone. We've all been there.

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (1978 posts) -

Rumors have been kicking around about an XBLA/PSN release of Konami's sort of classic The Simpsons Arcade Game for a while now. Initially we all dismissed them given that EA most recently held The Simpsons license, and maybe wouldn't necessarily be so into that kind of thing, but the rumor persisted, and became more and more realistic. Once achievements started popping up, the rumor was all but sealed as truth.

Finally, a whole new generation can be introduced to the barely tolerable concept of Bartman.

Now Konami has finally gotten around to outright confirming the game's release, acknowledging that players will be able to download the arcade classic in the immediate future. How immediate? How about the day after tomorrow (February 3) for Xbox Live Arcade downloaders, and this coming Tuesday for PSN users?

Yes, Microsoft does have a bit of exclusivity on this one, but the bonus for PSN players is that if you happen to be a PlayStation Plus member, you'll get the game for free. Everyone else will have to pay $9.99, or 800 Microsoft Point Dollars.

For the uninitiated, The Simpsons Arcade Game was an early '90s beat-'em-up featuring up to four players taking on the roles of Homer, Marge, Bart, and Lisa as they tracked down the dastardly Smithers, who kidnapped Maggie for some reason. I think it involved a diamond of some kind. Anyway, the point is that you beat your way through the game's various levels, knocking around various grunts in suits, other grunts in suits that also had hammers for some reason, and the occasional bear. It was also really short and deeply repetitive, and existed more as an extension of the Simpsons merchandising blitz of the early '90s than anything else. It was still way better than Bart vs. The Space Mutants, at least.

Like most other four-player arcade games that have come to consoles as downloads, this port will feature online play. It also comes with a few pieces of extra content, including a Japanese version of the game that features some different scoring mechanics.

And also like most other four-player arcade games that have come to consoles as downloads, this port will undoubtedly seem like a really awesome idea until you and your friends beat it in less than an hour, and then immediately forget about it like those digital copies of X-Men Arcade, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Arcade Game, and Final Fight you still have on your hard drive, yet haven't touched since the week you bought them.

Look, I'm not judging you. I'm just saying, if there were such a thing as digital dust, downloadable ports of arcade beat-'em-ups would be the second best of all digital dust collectors, behind only all those Game Room games you remember only with scorn and disappointment. It's okay. You're not alone. We've all been there.

Staff
#2 Posted by L1GHTN1N (439 posts) -

Loved this in arcades.

#3 Posted by GregIsRad (162 posts) -

Omfg

#4 Posted by whistlebottom (193 posts) -

I piss myself with joy.

#5 Posted by MediumDave (88 posts) -

Everything about this article is truth.

#6 Posted by JStaunton (150 posts) -

meh

#7 Edited by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

I dunno, I paid $10 for that X-Men arcade game, and that was fine.

But since PlayStation Plus users are getting The Simpsons Arcade for free anyway, that's fine by me. I'll get it, no worries.

#8 Posted by JJOR64 (18912 posts) -
#9 Posted by matti00 (668 posts) -

Screw you Alex, I loved Bart vs The Space Mutants.

#10 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

Ah, nostalgia. It really is a cruel bitch.

#11 Posted by bemusedchunk (676 posts) -

marge with a vacuum.

MARGE WITH A VACUUM!

#12 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Alright now, play nice!

#13 Posted by djaoni (339 posts) -

Nice. I thought it would only be in Japanese.

#14 Posted by Cincaid (2953 posts) -
#15 Posted by RE_Player1 (7551 posts) -

Glad it's coming to Plus for free.

#16 Posted by WilliamHenry (1201 posts) -

I don't care if I don't touch this after the first week, I will still be buying this day one. Been waiting years for this game.

#17 Posted by Jabr (9 posts) -

This release looks shitty though.

#18 Posted by PLWolf (921 posts) -

Actually, I won't pay anything. I'll just download it from PSN for free and THEN forget about it. lol

#19 Posted by TheYear20XX (425 posts) -

It's like I'm Homer, trying to get with Marge (the video game), and Alex is being all Patty and Selma trying to bring me down. This analogy works!

#20 Posted by GaZZuM (443 posts) -

"'Tis a fine enough beat-'em-up, but sure 'tis no classic, English."

I got that reference instantly, one of my favourite lines from any Simpsons episode ^^

#21 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11491 posts) -

They should just go the whole way and release an XBLA port of Gauntlet Dark Legacy. Not only is that beat-em-up repetitive and four player, it's also like 20+ hours long.

#22 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

@GaZZuM said:

I got that reference instantly, one of my favourite lines from any Simpsons episode ^^

It's also how I instantly knew Alex wrote this article.

#23 Posted by Meltbrain (2968 posts) -

@whistlebottom said:

I piss myself with joy.

My nipples explode with delight!

#24 Posted by xite (785 posts) -

@GaZZuM said:

Alex rules.

#25 Posted by JTMosh (257 posts) -

They fooled me with Ninja Turtles, they fooled me with X-Men and they're going to fool me again. God damn it 90's beat-em-ups, why do you have no much nostalgia?!

#26 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

Day one purchase.

#27 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater said:

They should just go the whole way and release an XBLA port of Gauntlet Dark Legacy. Not only is that beat-em-up repetitive and four player, it's also like 20+ hours long.

QUOTED FOR TRUTH. That said, I'm seriously considering picking this one up. Serious nostalgia factor here.

#28 Posted by MalkavTheClown (39 posts) -

Its like that Alex....Damn you for being right....

#29 Posted by PXAbstraction (321 posts) -

@GaZZuM said:

D'OHETH!

#30 Posted by Rotnac (625 posts) -

oh man! finally!! i was just reminicing a few days ago about this game with a buddy of mine. crazy coincidence that its getting rereleased so soon! im definitely getting this. :D

#31 Posted by stinky (1544 posts) -

@JTMosh said:

They fooled me with Ninja Turtles, they fooled me with X-Men and they're going to fool me again. God damn it 90's beat-em-ups, why do you have no much nostalgia?!

yep. has no else learned their lesson? these games are not fun anymore.

the danger of losing a quarter was practically a game mechanic for these, with out that it falls apart.

#32 Posted by Sergotron (476 posts) -

I think playing the demo is more than enough to scratch that old itch.

#33 Posted by SexVicar (53 posts) -

I like my beer cold, my beat-em' up's emulated and my homosexuals fah-laming!

#34 Posted by ShaggE (6343 posts) -

Played it on MAME last week and it still holds up. Won't buy it unless the extra content is different enough, though.

#35 Posted by HumanityPlague (251 posts) -

Glad I got paid today.  @VinceNotVance buy it on the 360, so we can play together.

#36 Posted by C0V3RT (1362 posts) -

Come on now Alex, don't be hating on Bart vs The Space Mutants!

#37 Posted by zockroach (58 posts) -

It is a bummer that these games don't translate as well due to unlimited continues.

#38 Posted by RobertOrri (1120 posts) -

$10 is kinda ballsy for such an old and short game.

I have fond memories of it from the arcade, but I'm not going to waste that money on something I know I'll finish quickly.

#39 Posted by CyleMoore (493 posts) -

Finally!!!

#40 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (947 posts) -

800 msp is too much for game with so repetitive gameplay.

#41 Posted by BonOrbitz (2175 posts) -

I don't care if it's short or repetitious. I've been waiting for this game for so long.

#42 Posted by SnowPin (50 posts) -

Definitely buying this on PS3.

#43 Posted by Suits (239 posts) -

I almost hope it will sell bad

#44 Posted by august (3827 posts) -

YES

#45 Posted by IronScimitar (480 posts) -

Sure it was a blast to play in the arcades years ago, but do i really wanna play it again? Ehh, i dunno bro.

#46 Posted by Deathpooky (1380 posts) -

Yep, paid for the Turtles in Time arcade game. Never buying another beat-em-up arcade game again. I made some people play through it and it ended up in disappointment all around.

#47 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

I actually really enjoyed this game back in the day.

#48 Posted by doublezeroduck (277 posts) -
#50 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

This game is much better than X-men. Also I can't stand the condescending bullshit that seems to be the defining characteristic of everything Alex does. Also A.I. and Biutiful are fantastic films.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.