Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Sims 3

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Jun 02, 2009

Electronic Arts follows up to the hugely successful Sims 2 with an improved character creation system, an open neighborhood, and a greater focus on character development.

The Sims 3: Even Simsier!

• 75 results
    Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Ryan  Staff

SimRyan, relaxing at home.
    After heading down to EA Redwood Shores earlier this week and spending some time with The Sims 3, as well as its executive producer Ben Bell, it became clear that this is not a sequel whose virtues can become apparent through short trailers or gameplay videos. It makes numerous, appreciable improvements on The Sims 2, but many of them are fairly subtle and incremental, and require some time to unearth. It's still looking very much like The Sims, but the team behind it has obviously learned a lot about what it is that draws people into The Sims, allowing them to craft an experience that is more like The Sims than The Sims has ever been.

The demo of The Sims 3 started off as the game itself does, with the Create-a-Sim mode, which packs the basic framework of the character-creation system from The Sims 2 with more granular customization options. There are four discreet color regions for your sim's hair. There are three sliders dedicated to just the size and shape of your sim's nose. You can now choose to start your sim in one of five age brackets, creating a distinction between a young adult and a middle-aged one. If all that sounds like a bit much, there are plenty of presets that you can choose from during the process, which still work plenty fine. Spending only a few minutes with the Create-a-Sim tool, I was able to shape and clothe a decent, if admittedly idealized, approximation of mysimself.

More significant to the actual gameplay than the aesthetic changes are the way your sim's personality impacts the experience. During the Create-a-Sim process, you'll choose a number of personality traits, ranging from charismatic to hydrophobic. There are traits that contradict each other, traits that complement each other, and there seem to be a pretty equal number of both positive and negative personality traits to choose from. This, I think, really speaks to how the developers recognize that there is no right or wrong way to play The Sims, and it can be just as much fun to play a neurotic screw-up as it can to play as some Eagle Scout. In addition to having a significant impact on how your sim will react to other sims and behave in general, the traits you choose end up determining which of the lifetime wishes you can choose from for your sim, which will serve as the overarching purpose of your sim's simulated life. Your lifetime wishes, in turn, will inform the kinds of short-term activities your sim will benefit from engaging in. These personality traits aren't permanent, however, and it's possible to trigger a midlife crisis for your sim, allowing you to pick a fresh set of personality traits. 

You can expect to find a much more persistent world in The Sims 3.
    One of the points that was stressed repeatedly during the demo was the fact that The Sims 3 puts far less importance on the micromanagement that all but defined the first game. In The Sims 3, your little virtual people are sentient enough to feed themselves, bathe themselves, use the bathroom, go to work, and so on. What they won't do, however, is advance towards their lifetime wishes. It's an interesting shift for The Sims, because you're still living a very relatable suburban life, but the focus has moved to a much grander scale.

One of the big draws of The Sims for a lot of people is its unique capacities as a virtual dollhouse, and one of the ways The Sims 3 improves on this is with the new create-a-style system. This feature lets you to create sets of custom-colored patterns that you can drag and drop onto anything your sim owns--clothes, furniture, homes, cars, you name it--making it much easier to create a cohesive sense of style for your sim. These style sets can consist of up to four different patterns, and the patterns themselves can consist of multiple customizable colors. While you won't be able to create custom patterns--at least not out of the box--there's certainly no shortage of stock patterns. EA wasn't giving out any hard numbers, but the fact that we saw no less than four different types of zebra patterns ought to give you a good idea of the scope here. 

The specter of death has always lingered over The Sims, though in The Sims 3 it won't be quite as permanent as it has in the past. Causes natural and unnatural alike can still claim your sim, though if your sim buys the farm in certain, specific ways, they'll return as a freaking ghost, whom you can continue to play as in some capacity. This wasn't something that was actually shown during the demo, but it's definitely one of the first things I plan on figuring out as soon as I get a copy of the game. Yeah, as though that's really any different from how I ever play The Sims.

For many people, The Sims is as much a toy as it is a game, though it seems that, with The Sims 3, EA is trying to embrace both these aspects of it without hindering either, and it's seeming pretty successful so far. You can expect to read more about The Sims 3 on Giant Bomb well before its June 2nd release date.
    Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ryan  Staff

After heading down to EA Redwood Shores earlier this week and spending some time with The Sims 3, as well as its executive producer Ben Bell, it became clear that this is not a sequel whose virtues can become apparent through short trailers or gameplay videos. It makes numerous, appreciable improvements on The Sims 2, but many of them are fairly subtle and incremental, and require some time to unearth. It's still looking very much like The Sims, but the team behind it has obviously learned a lot about what it is that draws people into The Sims, allowing them to craft an experience that is more like The Sims than The Sims has ever been.

The demo of The Sims 3 started off as the game itself does, with the Create-a-Sim mode, which packs the basic framework of the character-creation system from The Sims 2 with more granular customization options. There are four discreet color regions for your sim's hair. There are three sliders dedicated to just the size and shape of your sim's nose. You can now choose to start your sim in one of five age brackets, creating a distinction between a young adult and a middle-aged one. If all that sounds like a bit much, there are plenty of presets that you can choose from during the process, which still work plenty fine. Spending only a few minutes with the Create-a-Sim tool, I was able to shape and clothe a decent, if admittedly idealized, approximation of mysimself.

More significant to the actual gameplay than the aesthetic changes are the way your sim's personality impacts the experience. During the Create-a-Sim process, you'll choose a number of personality traits, ranging from charismatic to hydrophobic. There are traits that contradict each other, traits that complement each other, and there seem to be a pretty equal number of both positive and negative personality traits to choose from. This, I think, really speaks to how the developers recognize that there is no right or wrong way to play The Sims, and it can be just as much fun to play a neurotic screw-up as it can to play as some Eagle Scout. In addition to having a significant impact on how your sim will react to other sims and behave in general, the traits you choose end up determining which of the lifetime wishes you can choose from for your sim, which will serve as the overarching purpose of your sim's simulated life. Your lifetime wishes, in turn, will inform the kinds of short-term activities your sim will benefit from engaging in. These personality traits aren't permanent, however, and it's possible to trigger a midlife crisis for your sim, allowing you to pick a fresh set of personality traits. 

One of the points that was stressed repeatedly during the demo was the fact that The Sims 3 puts far less importance on the micromanagement that all but defined the first game. In The Sims 3, your little virtual people are sentient enough to feed themselves, bathe themselves, use the bathroom, go to work, and so on. What they won't do, however, is advance towards their lifetime wishes. It's an interesting shift for The Sims, because you're still living a very relatable suburban life, but the focus has moved to a much grander scale.

One of the big draws of The Sims for a lot of people is its unique capacities as a virtual dollhouse, and one of the ways The Sims 3 improves on this is with the new create-a-style system. This feature lets you to create sets of custom-colored patterns that you can drag and drop onto anything your sim owns--clothes, furniture, homes, cars, you name it--making it much easier to create a cohesive sense of style for your sim. These style sets can consist of up to four different patterns, and the patterns themselves can consist of multiple customizable colors. While you won't be able to create custom patterns--at least not out of the box--there's certainly no shortage of stock patterns. EA wasn't giving out any hard numbers, but the fact that we saw no less than four different types of zebra patterns ought to give you a good idea of the scope here. 

The specter of death has always lingered over The Sims, though in The Sims 3 it won't be quite as permanent as it has in the past. Causes natural and unnatural alike can still claim your sim, though if your sim buys the farm in certain, specific ways, they'll return as a freaking ghost, whom you can continue to play as in some capacity. This wasn't something that was actually shown during the demo, but it's definitely one of the first things I plan on figuring out as soon as I get a copy of the game. Yeah, as though that's really any different from how I ever play The Sims.

For many people, The Sims is as much a toy as it is a game, though it seems that, with The Sims 3, EA is trying to embrace both these aspects of it without hindering either, and it's seeming pretty successful so far. You can expect to read more about The Sims 3 on Giant Bomb well before its June 2nd release date.
    Avatar image for natural_deadhead
    natural_deadhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By natural_deadhead

I'm going to pre-order this

JoblessTerence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JoblessTerence

I'm so pumped for this game/toy!

Skillface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Skillface

I loved the sims 2, I'll probably give this a shot.

BlackIrish05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By BlackIrish05

Hope its good

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Dalai

This is the main reason why I'm coming back to PC gaming this year.  I'm totally gonna get milked by EA and I won't really care.

JohnDudebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JohnDudebro

SimRyan is pretty accurate, but it seems like he lacks the proper "crazy eyes". Maybe wider or something, but I don't get the feeling that he could snap at any moment.

Avatar image for deactivated-65f9e2f09d481
    deactivated-65f9e2f09d481

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How many expansion packs will EA release for this to cash-in further? Hmm...

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Death_Burnout

The very fact that the game was pushed back to summer really sucks.

Also, im fairly sure with "Free will" on, Sims would always look after themselves in that capacity in all the games, Leaving you do concentrate on life goals (if you wanted that is, i mean i still commanded my Sims to do all the basic stuff even with Free Will on, couldn't stand their way of thinking sometimes) if you're saying it's done better, then great.

Mandaray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mandaray

Very excited for this. I'm so happy to hear they've cut down on a lot of the micro-management crap, too...

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By AndrewB

I have my doubts about the Sims formula. In relation to me, I mean. There are things from the first game that never carried over to the second, and a certain level of simplicity (no, that was totally not meant as a pun) that has been lost. One thing in particular that grated on me in The Sims 2 is that Sims would age. That itself isn't too big a problem, but it was the speed at which they aged that made it impossible for me to get much done before my Sim grew old. I can't remember if there was an actual mode, or only a code that would turn aging off, but I would always do that, for fear of accomplishing nothing with the Sim I created in my image in his short, meaningless existence.

Sim games come with so many (SO MANY) expansion packs these days, that it seems to me not including every single feature added in those from the getgo with The Sims 3 will be like a giant middle finger to the fanbase. They'll soon be selling back to you those features in yet another round of expansion packs, and people will mindlessly buy them because it's The Sims. Well, I already fell for that tactic with the original game. I bought every expansion pack up to Vacation, and then I stopped playing, at some point. Then I bought The Sims 2, and never bought a single expansion for that game. I actually didn't play much of it at all, to tell you the truth. I realized The Sims was a gigantic sink hole wasting your real life time. And yet, here I am, wasting more of my time commenting on it.

And I may yet buy The Sims 3, if something changes my mind in the mean time. I have less faith in it being that significantly different/better than the second game, but we shall see.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By oldschool

I don't personally 'get' The Sims, but my daughters love it.  Hence, I have pretty much every expansion (not Vacation, it was defective).  My only issue will likely be what power it requires to run it.  I am at least 2-3 years away from upgrading to my nextt Mac, so if it exceeds its limits (2.16Ghz dual core, 3 Gb RAM and won't work with the graphics chip), then I am out.

I do want it for my kids though - they enjoy it.  I'll stick to Harvest Moon :-)
    mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#13  Edited By mrhankey

ooooh, perhaps i shall buy this game...

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jack_daniels

The question is will my netbook run this, and the answer is... no.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By kush

I've loved the Sims and Sims 2 (plus many expansion packs) so I'll likely be picking up this game too, not to mention that the open-world-ish aspect seems interesting to me. This series is like a brick of crack for me....I probably should stop, but I just can't.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

For me The Sims was fun for a couple of hours but after a while the interior decorating and virtual activities just didn't do 'it' for me.

Joevit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Joevit

I dont know. I think its getting old. It looks good  n all but I think I'll pass this up. I'm with a new RTC game. But I dont think its going to happen.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LiquidPrince

Simsier XD

Sheldon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sheldon

Sim Ryan, or Sim Billy Mays?

Avatar image for vibratingdonkey
    vibratingdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By vibratingdonkey

Wonder how my joyful, eternal optimist sim will react to wetting himself in a tiny room with no doors or windows until he dies of starvation?

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Kazona

I am most definitely looking forward to this game.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Any news on the system requirements on this yet? I've always enjoyed sims games, but I'm not sure if my lowly laptop will be able to run this. EDIT: found them. It seems I'm right on the borderline. It'd probably run at a super low framerate. I might have to give it a miss for now.

coffeesash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By coffeesash

I didn't play Sims 2 because it's pretty depressing seeing people going through their whole lives and dying in a matter of hours. Seems Sims 3 will be the same...

SuperMooseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#24  Edited By SuperMooseman
    coffeesash said:
    "I didn't play Sims 2 because it's pretty depressing seeing people going through their whole lives and dying in a matter of hours. Seems Sims 3 will be the same..."
    Huh? Sims never die in a matter of hours, unless your just not playing the game at all and neglecting their hunger and toilet needs.
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Origina1Penguin
    coffeesash said:
    "I didn't play Sims 2 because it's pretty depressing seeing people going through their whole lives and dying in a matter of hours. Seems Sims 3 will be the same...
    "
    That's why I turn aging off.  You can also manually progress the age of children / other Sims.
    FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By FireBurger

@VibratingDonkey

You are a sick, sick man. But hilarious.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#27  Edited By Brackynews

I'll choose to stay addicted to 3D rendering instead.  I'm just not the house and garden type.

Avatar image for disabilityfishy
    DisAbiLityFisHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DisAbiLityFisHy
    Simsier. Nice.
    ReTarDedFisHy's lookin' forward to this one.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#29  Edited By ArbitraryWater

It may be less of a chore than the older games were, but I still hate the sims with a passion because it's so pointless.
    So, I wonder how many expansion packs will be released for $20 each that add small features that should be in the main game anyways?

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Karmum

I so want this game, why the hell did it have to be delayed?

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Grillbar

i have never liked  the sims but this might be worth checking out or atleast keep looking alittle more

oh by the way was rthat a nicotine patch on ben bell's left arm

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By FlipperDesert

It looks tons more promising than I first thought, I always hated the look of the characters in 2 and to hear I don't have to pull out hair worrying about the sim-kids skipping their homework to piss themselves and fall asleep on their feet only sweetens the deal.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By meteora

Bummer, I probably need a new computer to run the Sims 3. The second one took ages to load lots (I think this was because the game wasn't optimized or something?). I'm looking forward anyways, I've had a good run with the Sims 2.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#34  Edited By the8bitNacho

Does it annoy anyone else that they don't center their embedded videos on the posts?  Is it just me?

TaintedSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TaintedSun

Interesting, but still not a franchise I feel like jumping on board with. That being said, looking back to the few hours of the Sims (1 or 2, I don't remember) that I did play, I recall "the micromanagement that all but defined" they way it was played. From what I remember it was an incredibly tedious battle with sub-par AI. It's nice to see, now that technology has permitted them to, that they've moved away from those annoying aspects.

Will be waiting for a review, if only to satisfy my curiosity.

Avatar image for deactivated-6296e29cde7c5
    deactivated-6296e29cde7c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked the first one. This one looks like a totally improved experience overall. I really am considering getting this!

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#37  Edited By vigorousjammer

DUDE! I had no idea that this is what they were going for with The Sims 3.
    I'm so totally hyped now!

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#38  Edited By LordAndrew

Even in the first game, dead Sims could reappear in the form of a ghost. But they were attached to the grave/urn, so you could get rid of the ghosts just by getting rid of them.
    They've never been controllable before though. That's pretty crazy.

Thejugglingbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Thejugglingbum

I hope Ben's arm heals well.

Mourer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mourer

Nice Akira shirt.

ingodwetrust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ingodwetrust

I haven't picked up an expansion in years, but the initial releases always grab me.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Player1

Not that I'll play it, but the game looks good.

I like the controlling the dead sims feature. Seems like fun. 
    gloomytangent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By gloomytangent

I want that guy's Akira shirt.  Where can I get one?

Det1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By Det1

I think the success of the game is going to depend on the system requirements a lot...and whether people still like the sims. and how much it's going to cost.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#45  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#46  Edited By strangeling

Looks good for a Sims game.  I like the added personalities.  And it's about time they made it easy for people to mod the designs of clothes/objects in game.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#47  Edited By LordAndrew
    ahoodedfigure said:
    "Hydrophobic?  The Sims can have rabies now?"
    Actually, I think you can make your Sims repel water. ;)
    Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ryan  Staff

For those wondering about the "hydrophobia" thing, that's just how that personality trait was listed in the game. I'm fairly certain they meant "afraid of water" and not "rabid," though stranger things have happened in The Sims.

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By bjorno

simryan has some nice smooth legs.

gormers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By gormers

It will be interesting to see how it turns out to be. I liked the second game. The graphics is a disappointment to me though, it looks like the characters are the sims 2 characters only in high res, and have lost some of the charm they had in that game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.