Do men play the sims?

#1 Posted by Dark_Moolahs (9 posts) -

First off, I want to say I'm a man. I know this might sound weird but here goes. Is it weird that I really like playing the sims? A lot of people I know say it's gay for a male to play the sims. What are your thoughts?

#2 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

The Sims is awesome. The stereotype surrounding it is pretty stupid.

#3 Posted by TheGremp (2064 posts) -

I am a man. I have played an unhealthy amount of The Sims.

#4 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4504 posts) -

What the fuck? I didn't know there was only a "specific group" that plays the sims.

#5 Posted by AjayRaz (12477 posts) -

the sims is cool as heck for all people and anyone who says otherwise is going to get a train ran over them

#6 Posted by BeachThunder (12449 posts) -

Sir, you're allowed to play any game you wish.

#7 Posted by MB (13153 posts) -

I've always been somewhat interested in The Sims, and just recently have been looking out for a Steam sale on one of the recent games in the franchise to check it out.

#8 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

You can play all the Sims games you like. 
Because here in the real world (as in, not lala-land) there are no "games for women" or "games for men". 
Gaming is gaming! 

#9 Posted by Animasta (14731 posts) -

PLAY IT

and SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

(but yes the sims is completely fine, there's plenty of goal orientated gameplay in there for people who don't just want to design sims)

#10 Posted by konig_kei (670 posts) -

I was but a boy when I played the sims, it was my first Pc game besides this helicopter sim that came with the computer that made no sense, I usually just made houses then played for 5 mins and built a new house.

#11 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2621 posts) -

I'm more of a Simcity guy myself but Sims is fun. Really good time waster.

#12 Posted by Dark_Moolahs (9 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie said:

What the fuck? I didn't know there was only a "specific group" that plays the sims.

Indeed there is. The Sims is usually looked down as a ''women's game''. I honestly do not get why The Sims is "feminine". Either way, I'm playing it, and I'm a man. LOL

#13 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4504 posts) -

@Dark_Moolahs: What?! I played the shit out of the first sims including all of the expansions and some of 2 and I don't remember ever hearing that stereotype. This is all news to me.

@MB said:

I've always been somewhat interested in The Sims, and just recently have been looking out for a Steam sale on one of the recent games in the franchise to check it out.

Well there was that Sims 3 for $10 sale Steam had going. Personally I lost touch with the franchise shortly after 2 came out but playing 3 for $10 sounds like an easy admission price to try the game out.

#14 Posted by Zeik (2784 posts) -

@Dark_Moolahs:

"Gay" as in they actually think it means you're homosexual? Or just the ignorant slang team people throw around to describe everything they don't like?

Because the latter would just be your general ignorance. If it's the former they're still ignorant, but in a rather unusual way.

#15 Posted by MB (13153 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie: I must have missed that one. It's half off now for $14.99 but I think I'll hold out until it's 75% off again. Ten bucks seems like the right price.

#16 Posted by BeachThunder (12449 posts) -

@Dark_Moolahs said:

@Colourful_Hippie said:

Indeed there is. The Sims is usually looked down as a ''women's game''. I honestly do not get why The Sims is "feminine". Either way, I'm playing it, and I'm a man. LOL

Probably because it is akin to a digital doll house.

#17 Posted by Dark_Moolahs (9 posts) -

@Zeik said:

@Dark_Moolahs:

"Gay" as in they actually think it means you're homosexual? Or just the ignorant slang team people throw around to describe everything they don't like?

Because the latter would just be your general ignorance. If it's the former they're still ignorant, but in a rather unusual way.

Unfortunately, it's the former.

#18 Edited by clstirens (847 posts) -

@Dark_Moolahs: I played the shit out of the Sims 1 when I was a kid, bought most of the Expansion packs too. Sims 2 was fun, but didn't do it for me as much because the emphasis on strategy and such was much less.

By sims 3, I love the improvements, but the games have become far too much about Living a dream live, and less about not starving to death, and paying the bills on time.

For some reason, I loved the pressure of meeting my home payments whilst climbing the job ladder as a military guy (who also built wooden gnomes as a side job)

EDIT: HOWEVER, to answer your question, no it's not weird. However, they DO market these games towards women mostly, but who the fuck cares.

#19 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

the sims is fantastic, though over time its gotten progressively more gamey i think i preferred the first game

#20 Edited by Nights (619 posts) -

Wait, what? Is this for real?

#21 Posted by Fearbeard (834 posts) -

Yeah, I've always enjoyed the Sims games. Not every expansion pack is for me, and I couldn't care less about the "style" packs that they sell, but the basic underlying game is fun to dive into every once in awhile.

#22 Posted by Jimbo (10008 posts) -

Men do. Real Men don't. Top Men probably don't either.

#23 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2030 posts) -

When I was younger I was hardcore about The Sims -- got all the expansion packs and everything. Kinda did that for The Sims 2. Stopped with The Sims 3. Too much and the fact they started making really crappy content packs as opposed to real expansion packs turned me off from the whole thing, not to mention the expansion packs were basically rehashing everything they did with The Sims 2 expansion packs and was being pretty grimy about selling them at full price. (All that stuff at this point of time should just be a part of the core game by now...)

But I digress, it's perfectly fine to be man and play The Sims.

#24 Posted by ShaggE (6727 posts) -

Any game that has Drew "Fucking" Carey in it (even if only in an expansion) transcends gender boundaries.

#25 Posted by PillClinton (3297 posts) -

Yes, and The Sims games are fine, until they get boring, which happens pretty fast for me. But for what it's worth, my sister plays The Sims fanatically and it's literally the only game she plays. It's a real shame, too, that she's missing out on so many other great (and far better) game experiences, but she's really stubborn in thinking Sims is the only game she'd like. Pisses me off, actually. There's a whole world of gaming out there she's restricting herself from and intentionally missing out on, and meanwhile she play The Fucking Sims for hours on end. And Farmville, gah! Ok, now I'm just venting about family game drama apparently. Thanks for reading.

#26 Edited by BaconGames (3582 posts) -

If you're asking literally, yes, men play the Sims. Sure, what demographics people would call "casual" game players that also happen to be women are the main market of the Sims. However video games of this nature catch on with a casual audience for certain reasons but they're also great games, and that is why you're interested and why anyone else should be interested but the advantage you have is that you can come at it and appreciate it aware of game design, who made it, and all that stuff that comes with being knowledgeable about games.

People who love so called "hardcore" games aren't boxed in to only playing games they or others would associate with them. By definition people who play a lot of games or are super passionate about the medium play a wide variety and don't arbitrarily limit themselves based on stereotypes or outside perception. I love Bejeweled 3 because it's a dope game, so the fuck what if it's associated with 40 year old mothers, it's a dope game! I get where this came from originally but when you disassociate the game from everything else, it's still a game that can be appreciated like any other and I think that's the attitude you can take and shove it into those vaguely shitty people you apparently hear things from.

This is just a life lesson from me to you here: if it makes sense in the moment, don't tolerate machismo bullshit. It's the laziest ass form of masculine identity there is and it's been played to death thousands of times over and I'm sick of it. Step up your game random men that are vaguely shitty when you open your mouths, I ain't impressed.

#27 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (635 posts) -

I played The Sims 1 & 2, but never picked up number 3. I never ended up doing anything but building houses and then starting over, but with Minecraft I can do more creating and just keep moving on so that took over what The Sims used to accomplish for me.

#28 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

I hope they make The Sims 4. I remember being pissed off that The Sims 3 had a lot of even the basic items stripped from it so they could sell it as DLC.

#29 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6407 posts) -

I don't care who a game's targeted audience is supposed to be. If it looks fun, I'll play the hell out of it. I like The Sims, but I didn't much care for the third in the series. Building a house felt like too much of a chore, and I never quite felt as charmed by it as its predecessors. Those complaints aside, it's still a great game.

#30 Posted by TatsurouXIII (652 posts) -

I really tried, but did not succeed. The initial hours are pretty fun, but after I managed to get my dudes a decent house the game became pretty pointless. The problem is, I think, when a man is supposed to play virtual house, he wants his very particular shit to be there, if he's gotta decorate. And this particular shit - like transparent Kawai pianos - is not in the game. Also, no killing in the game.

#31 Posted by Seroth (726 posts) -

The Sims is like the ultimate murder simulator. Of course dudes are into it! :)

#32 Posted by Elleander (4 posts) -

I personally don't like Sims, yet I know many people who do(some of them are male, but there isn't a lot of them). I use "Sims are for women" phrase purely as a joke. It's great that you play Sims, not weird at all.

You can, and should, play whatever you like, I don't canre if you play Orgasmatron 30XX or Pacman, it's your choice and I don't have anything to say. I can suggest or disagree, but at the end of the day, it's your thing.

Also, a bit off-topic: If someone calls something "gay" and says it as an insult, they have a problem, not you. Homophobia is bad.

#33 Posted by RedCream (694 posts) -

What? Playing God is the manliest thing you could ever do in a video game.

#34 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5111 posts) -

Personally, I think Sims are boring as shit. But if you like it then great, good for you and luckily, you don't have to and should not have to give a fuck about my or any other peoples opinions. So it's a win-win situation.

#35 Posted by MB (13153 posts) -

It looks like there is a Mac version of Sims 3, but only the PC version is available on Steam...it's not a SteamPlay game. Pretty surprising, unless I'm totally missing something. I do have a dedicated gaming PC but certain games I prefer to play on my MacBook.

#36 Posted by dungbootle (2428 posts) -

Yes, I love The Sims.

#37 Posted by Humanity (10145 posts) -

@Dark_Moolahs: Some of the best times I had was playing the Sims and I made a gay couple of two doods that climbed the corporate ladder one becoming a mad scientist while the other was a general. At which point when they were financially secure and had a lot of free hours I had them adopt a daughter and she not only turned out to be really good looking but also went on to a private school.

Had a ton of fun running that wacky family, couldn't care less what it made me look like.

#38 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

The Sims 2 was the shit back in the day!

#39 Posted by BatmanBatman (444 posts) -

Well that's new ....

#40 Posted by CaLe (4058 posts) -

The Sims is well known for being a popular game with the fairer sex, but I don't see why that would preclude big burly men from playing it. I think most men prefer chopping wood or Greco-Roman wrestling, but that doesn't mean they can't enjoy a game of The Sims in between those activities.

#41 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

Yes, I own every expansion except for the last 2, usualy around the summer, and winter sales is when I pick them up.

#42 Posted by Dimsey (967 posts) -

The Sims is one of my favorite game series ever and I'm a man. Last I checked.

#43 Posted by Gradev (43 posts) -

@Seroth said:

The Sims is like the ultimate murder simulator. Of course dudes are into it! :)

Second!

#44 Posted by fox01313 (5089 posts) -

Nothing wrong with playing the Sims regardless of being a guy. Ryan in the quick look for Sims enjoys playing it (as a murderer) & I found the Sims Medieval game to be quite entertaining for a weekend or two but definitely not one to sink a ton of money or time in the sims. As with any game, the people you should be concerned about are the ones that only play the Sims (or any solitary game),

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.