Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Stanley Parable

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Oct 17, 2013

The Stanley Parable is an abstract, psychological, dark and humorous meta-narrative that attempts to make its choices void, journey paradoxical and generate discussion about storytelling in video games.

The demo for this game is pretty amazing.

dietomaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

It's available on Steam now. Possibly one of the best-made demos I've ever played, while simultaneously explaining almost nothing about what this game is. Highly recommend it!

NicksCorner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Good to hear! I played through the original mod and loved it. I will not play the demo as I want a total spoiler free experience when it is released :)

bogusdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By bogusdd

I think I heard that the demo content is completely seperate from the game, so it won't spoil anything

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Milkman

Good to hear! I played through the original mod and loved it. I will not play the demo as I want a total spoiler free experience when it is released :)

The demo doesn't feature any content from the main game.

It's also amazing. Everyone play it. Right now. Do it. Go.

tumbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys should also watch the special version made for adam sessler. that was really good.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I thought it... bad?

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By noblenerf

Thoroughly enjoyable. A real game, for sure.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was unfunny and dumb. It was a guy yelling "look how clever I am." Over and over and yet never actually being clever.

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By noblenerf
    JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz said:

I thought it was unfunny and dumb. It was a guy yelling "look how clever I am." Over and over and yet never actually being clever.

That part where he starts reminiscing things that didn't happen and starts describing things too complex for an indie game to render was pretty clever.

Butler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz: I thought it was pretty clever to put out a demo and not follow the pay for early access routes. I'm so sick and tired of that model and any game that actually comes out with a demo beforehand gets a few points in my book.

And 8.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-58513b27f2513
    deactivated-58513b27f2513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz said:

@noblenerf: sorry I don't get it, not a hipster.

Damn. I have to admit, that's pretty clever.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@butler: well actually I do applaud him for that, early access is the dumbest thing ever.

Hey wanna pay money for a broken pile of crap that might be a game in like two years?

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JZ

@giganteus: well the wall joke is the prime example. I'm pretty sure it was just a joke, but on worth playing patrick started spouting all this bullshit about it being a commentary on our society man. I'm pretty sure it was just "ha I made you run into a wall."

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz said:

@giganteus: well the wall joke is the prime example. I'm pretty sure it was just a joke, but on worth playing patrick started spouting all this bullshit about it being a commentary on our society man. I'm pretty sure it was just "ha I made you run into a wall."

It was a joke. Patrick saw it as a joke about how stage demos tend to have embarrassing glitches. Considering a lot of the jokes also had heavy links to specifics within the game industry it makes sense. I just re-watched it and I heard no commentary about our society....man.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By cornbredx

Actually it explains everything about what the game is. I guess if you haven't played the source mod, though, it would seem like random nonsense that has nothing to do with an actual game.

Silly you, for thinking that haha

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually it explains everything about what the game is. I guess if you haven't played the source mod, though, it would seem like random nonsense that has nothing to do with an actual game.

Silly you, for thinking that haha

this, it explains the game perfectly but you only know that in hindsight ^^

It scratched all the itches as the mod, loved that thing. Definitely will get it, though when it is on sale. No time right now and AA5 is out a week later.

Avatar image for nicktorious_big
    nicktorious_big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Yeah I just got done playing it a little while ago. It pretty much blew my mind. Not what I expected at all!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz said:

@noblenerf: sorry I don't get it, not a hipster.

Weird since I get the most hipster vibe from you than anyone else here.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By flasaltine

What demo? All I got was some 8 game.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this is indicative of how linear the full release is. One of my biggest problems with the mod was that it required multiple playthroughs to even begin to grasp how great it was, resulting in seeing the same beginning over and over again. The demo was far more clever in how it funneled you through the narrative.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

That was neato.

sissylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Continue to be really taken aback by how much people seemed to enjoy the demo. A lot of stuff I don't like is mostly just "this definitely isn't for me," but man, I thought the whole thing was insufferable.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ch3burashka

@bogusdd said:

I think I heard that the demo content is completely seperate from the game, so it won't spoil anything

A few games do that, and I appreciate it every time. I imagine it sucks to make content that doesn't actually get used in the final product.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@maajin said:
    @jz said:

That part where he starts reminiscing things that didn't happen and starts describing things too complex for an indie game to render was pretty clever.

Well, unless the point of that was to make me feel almost positive that the main game would assuredly NOT make me feel those things either, then... it worked.

We're in a post-modern world. We've already deconstructed. A game about games about choice about whatever is just pointless. And this was pretty unfunny to boot.

I'll still hold judgement for the actual game, as this was clearly a separate thing, but I came away feeling like I just watched something trying desperately to say nothing at all. Trying so, so hard.

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sissylion: @joshwent: What would you do to improve the demonstration? Perhaps there is still time to fix it, broaden its appeal.

Spoiler tag when necessary, for those that haven't played the game.8

@notdavid: The best thing that happened to me with the mod was showing it to my dad, I told him that he had free will, meaning he didn't have to follow the narrators orders, he answered with "But Stanley doesn't".

Making the game too linear would remove the feeling of disobeying the narrator, or doing as he tells you and seeing what the game has to say when you do as he says.

Whoa. Whoa.

Your father is incredible - he's silenced a lot of questions/criticisms I have with certain games.

sissylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noblenerf: I just thought that the whole thing was insufferable. A one-note joke that plays for half an hour. I'd say it was actually a pretty helpful demo, though, because where I was first considering checking out the game because of all the buzz around it, I now know that I definitely shouldn't waste my time/money on it.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yeah I thought it seemed a little try hard and not very good and I normally really enjoy your more "pretentious" games. I thought the original mod was alright but I couldn't see what they gain by making it a full release and still don't. I hope to be pleasantly surprised but ehhh

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.