Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Swapper

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released May 30, 2013

A 2D indie puzzle platformer developed by Facepalm Games. It explores the concept of identity; the fuzzy line between mind and body. The player controls an astronaut with a mysterious device called The Swapper which allows them to make clones and swap between them.

Early game of the year contender?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I certainly think so. Maybe not THE game of the year, but it should definitely be considered for the top 10.

It explored an interesting topic, it created an interesting world that is flawless (stylistically, artistically, graphically, ALL THE CALLYS) and its themes/story are profound in the best possible way.

But the most important thing: it doesn't sacrifice gameplay. On the contrary, it actually created an interesting gameplay mechanic that boosts the storytelling, themes, etc. Most games cannot claim to successfully accomplish this, but the swapper has and has done so with fucking panache.

I really hope it doesn't get overlooked at the end of the year due to other huge games being released (last of us, GTAV, bioshock infinite, next gen games, betond 2 souls, etc), because it really deserves recognition.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Sure. I'd say Infinite and Fire Emblem: Awakening are up there, as well, but Swapper may just capture a place in that top 10.

I hope there are like twenty better games released this year though. Because I'm greedy. ;)

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

I wouldn't really call being halfway through the year 'early'.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#4  Edited By ArbitraryWater

It's an independent puzzle game. So I'm guessing... probably not by the bigger websites? I could see Rock Paper Shotgun giving this game some kind of award, because they're pretty PC elitist old men.

But if it's really that good, maybe I should check it out. I'm terrible at puzzle games but I'm sure a steam sale will get rid of that fear.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

Definitely !

These games always get overlooked by the popular games , though but for me it's a flawless puzzle game .

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I do not think that any Indy game has a chance this year to be considered as a GOTY game. Best Indy game maybe bit not overall. This years lineup is just way too strong.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RonGalaxy

@darji: That's what I mean. I'm 100% certain this won't be GB's GOTY, but I still think it should be in the top 10 (at least considered for it). Last year saw a bunch of indie games make the top 10 list, and the year before that as well. I think it's possible, so long as they actually play it (I have a feeling patrick is gonna be the only one to play it)

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Darji

@naru_joe93 said:

@darji: That's what I mean. I'm 100% certain this won't be GB's GOTY, but I still think it should be in the top 10 (at least considered for it). Last year saw a bunch of indie games make the top 10 list, and the year before that as well. I think it's possible, so long as they actually play it (I have a feeling patrick is gonna be the only one to play it)

But last years were kind of weak this year is all he big guns.

LAst of us

GTAV

Beyond

Watchdogs

MGSV

Ass Creed 4

A new 3D Mario game

To name only a few. And even in the indy section it will have a hard time. There is also not really much buzz. For example I saw more people play papers please on twitch than this game This year is just way to strong on all fronts. And even as a Metroidvania like game. You still have stuff like chasm for example. This year is just way to strong on all fronts. And I am not even only talking about GB here.

Avatar image for commandergermanshepard
    CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope not, will be a shitty year if it is.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RonGalaxy

@darji: Add bioshock infinite and scratch MGS, because that's almost definitely not coming out in 2013. That's also assuming all of those games will be good; I'm guessing most of them will be. Maybe not ass creed since that series has become stale as of late. Like I said, contender. It would be awesome if it got a spot, but I'd be fine with it getting the coveted number 11 spot :)

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@commandergermanshepard: Don't be a dick. When I said contender, I mean just that. I'm 200% sure it WONT be GBs GOTY, and I'm about 90% sure it won't even make top 10. Doesn't stop it from being deliberated on (it is a good game, after all)

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#12  Edited By BeachThunder

Is it really that good? I feel that objectively this is something I would enjoy, but I just can't muster any interest in it at all =/

fistfulofmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 29

For me? I would say so. It's the first game I felt comfortable giving a 5/5 so far this year.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what makes this game so good? it looks really cool, and there's a single mechanic by which you solve puzzles. what makes the game more than the sum of its parts? Not bashing, just asking.

Avatar image for Unannounced_Fart
    Omelet_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Omelet_Pants

Well, I wanna shit all over this game b/c it's unplayable for me and keeps on crashing my computer. If you check out the Steam forums, a lot of other people are having crashing issues, too. So until they fix it, it's far from GOTY material.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By spraynardtatum

@omelet_pants: THat's a bummer, I hope you figure it out. It's a great game I finished it tonight. Solid from beginning to end.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Infinite so does not deserve GOTY. For art design sure, for gameplay, hell no.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

This game is so good.

I thought that I was mostly done with puzzle platformers after the post-Braid/Limbo rush of clones came out (PB Winterbottom, I'm look at you)... but there's something so perfect about this one. The design is fucking flawless, the art is gorgeous, it has some bizarre and bold narrative ambitions, and it plays as smoothly as butter.

I had a hard time playing other games today. I just kept wanting to go back to The Swapper to finish another puzzle room.

VanRipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By VanRipl

The Swapper is not just good, it is great. It is Art. I play a lot of AAA games and really enjoy them, but this is different, and not just because it's indy. It is sublime. It affected me. It uses a light touch because it deals with a heavy subject - consciousness, the universe, free will, identity. Whereas Limbo creates an innocent in a world full of malice, the Universe here is supremely indifferent to you, the way a big noisy city is indifferent to small mouse living in an abandoned warehouse. And yet the little mouse goes about her business, survives, feeds her family - and solves who-knows-what problems.

And The Swapper seems contented, deeply engaged in his tasks - the way a skilled worker in any profession is who really knows what he or she is doing - like when you watch a master at work - a chef, a carpenter, a dancer, not a showoff but someone who really just loves what they do, in flow.

The music adds a lot to the atmosphere - its deep ambient, haunting melancholic sounds are absolutely right for this game.

Yes, it's introspective in a way which might turn some players off. Their loss. But when most games deal with thoughtless aggression, death & destruction - which have their place - this amazing piece of gaming craftsmanship I found moving like no other game in recent memory.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By triple07

I could definitely see it getting some love for end of the year stuff. Maybe not directly in the top 10 for Giantbomb but probably at least in another category. Personally I'm kinda ehhh on the game but that has more to do with me not liking puzzle games of this sort and less with the actual quality of the game.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By EVO

Contender? Maybe.

Personally, I just can't get into this game. I went in with pretty high expectations thinking that I would finish it in one sitting, but it's taken me two sittings to clock just over an hour. I'm getting tired of the whole red/blue light + pressure switch puzzles, and what little of the story there is so far hasn't grabbed be. Does it get better?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.