Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The United States of America

Location » linked to 1048 games

The United States serves as the location or the back-story of countless video games. It also plays host to some of the largest game development studios and publishers in the world.

Let's Talk - How Do You Feel The USA Is Used In Games?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

Was going to title this "YO BITCHES, Why is America so Fuck YEAH!, You Whores", but due to the new TOS I can't do that.   

Anyways, America.  The United States of America, the greatest country in the world, the foundation of modern day freedom and democracy, and now the revolutionary nation of the best video games on the planet.  A lot of bad can be said about America, but billions more good things can be said.  We invented the F-22 Raptor, are the only nation to go into space, and can take over the entire world but decide not to.   We hold ultimate power. 

Because of this, America has been shown in many different ways in different games.  From the comical/realism of Gran Theft Auto games, to the alternate reality of Homefront and Half Life 2, America has always been a key factor for many modern day stories.   

From the FUCK YEAH in COD games, to the more realistic take of "OH SHIT WE FUCKED UP" in other games...everyone has something to say about our great country.  It's impossible to fully make a game that is fully intrenched in America as we have millions of people with thousands of areas, but people do seem to use the North East Coast for most of the stereotypes.  

Let's talk, how do you feel the USA is used in games and any favorite game(s) that you feel represents USA better than other games? 

Do you feel America should be shown in any light that hasn't been shown yet?   

No Caption Provided
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ryanwho

Crab fishing needs more representation. Cus not enough people know that's all anyone on the east coast does.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Slaker117

I don't get it. Does he think he's funny?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#4  Edited By EpicSteve

The U.S. development scene is the strongest (or at least most noticeable) in the industry. I would like some outside influence, but anything from Asian these days doesn't fit my taste for freedom. The United States is home to virtually all the most popular games these days, COD, WoW, and even Angry Birds. Too bad the birds aren't eagles and the towers aren't oppressing people. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ryanwho
    @Slaker117 said:
    " I don't get it. Does he think he's funny? "
    I think he's funny. He has an audience. 
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Enigma777

I've honestly never thought about it. 

After giving this some thought, I've got nothing.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By blackbird415

its using extremes. It happens in all forms of media. I would say id like America more so depicted as more of a place in it self and not as much the culture there of. America (as well as many other countries) is very strange and varied of a place.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By MooseyMcMan

No Caption Provided
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ryanwho
    @EpicSteve said:
    " The U.S. development scene is the strongest (or at least most noticeable) in the industry. I would like some outside influence, but anything from Asian these days doesn't fit my taste for freedom. The United States is home to virtually all the most popular games these days, COD, WoW, and even Angry Birds. Too bad the birds aren't eagles and the towers aren't oppressing people.  "
    Angry Birds did sell out at the first chance, that's how you know they're true venture capitalists.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By KaosAngel
    @blackbird415: That's the innate problem with USA in games and whatnot.  It's too easy to stereotype due to the size and vast cultures (yes America does have many cultures, hell some states like PA have loads of cultures inside the state alone).  You either get North East NYC or West Coast LA.  
    Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Omega
    @Slaker117 said:
    " I don't get it. Does he think he's funny? "
    I'm assuming he's being satirical because I don't think anyone can really have such an over inflated ego.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ryanwho

I agree with Kaos that we need a Mennonite simulation game that's centered around a sports rivalry with the Amish baseball team. Barn building, butter churning, digging secret graves to hide jean wearing heretics. Each minute would feel like an hour and the game never ends.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im Canadian so i dont really care.  as long as you dont blow up our igloos in future games i would be fine with that

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Slaker117
    @Omega:  Yeah, but I still don't think that's clever in any way.
    LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By LiquidS

Weird how they make games about the 2 most populous places in the country with the biggest market for video games so often... 
    Just wait until our Chinese overlords rise up and then we will get GTA: Shanghai and Crysis 6: Beijing. 

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By monetarydread

As someone who isn't an American, I would like to see less, "rah rah - go America," in my media.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I want a totally apathetic America in a game.  Crazy political intrigue, wars, terrorism going down, robot invasion, and no one in America gives a damn.

Better yet, just have America dealing with an invasion of murderous, carnivorous robots in the background that has nothing at all to do with any of the characters or plot of the game.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Skald

Half Life 2 probably isn't the best example of America being in video games.

cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By cnlmullen

Grand Theft Auto III-IV actually has a pretty biting, spot on satire of the (our) country. I approve. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.