Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Sep 25, 2014

An adventure game from The Astronauts – a development team comprised of People Can Fly veterans.

One of the Most Beautiful Games I've Ever Played

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Raven10
    No Caption Provided

I don't know about anyone else, but I kind of feel like a year after the launch of current gen consoles the most visually impressive game is still either Ryse or Infamous Second Son. For the past six months or so nothing has come out on either console, or on the PC. that has really blown my mind like a couple of the launch (or in Infamous's case slightly post launch) games. As we enter into the Holiday Season I thought it was interesting that we are really missing any sort of major technical showpiece for the new consoles this year outside of maybe Assassin's Creed Unity in November.

No Caption Provided

So imagine my surprise when I booted up The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and realized that this game made using Unreal Engine 3 is easily the most visually impressive game on the market right now. I guess the developer used a technique where they scanned in real life objects to their computers using hundreds of photographs and then put those objects into the game. The end result is the most stunning forest I have ever seen rendered in a game. They also spent a lot of time talking up their vegetation shaders that let them, among other things, render grass far into the distance. It seems like a minor thing but as the following screenshot I hope shows, it makes a big difference.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Imagine if all that grass was swaying in the wind and you get the idea. Also impressive is how much detail distant objects retain. Look at this screenshot.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

It's honestly a little hard to tell with just a screenshot, but they are rendering the grass across the river from where I took this shot. At a full run that is at least two or three minutes from this spot. And the little stream going off into the distance behind the building at the bottom of the shot? That leads to a valley which is where I took the above two shots.

No Caption Provided

I'm not normally a guy to save screenshots and gush over this type of thing but both from an artistic and technical standpoint this game blew my mind. And mind you I was playing this on a half-decade old computer that was not exactly state of the art when I got it. With my 2 GB Geforce 560 ti, a Core i7 920, and 6 GB of RAM I am able to play this mostly maxed out at 1080p at between 40 and 60 fps. It's far from a smooth 60 and in certain situations it will drop into the 30's. My limited VRAM also means there is some jerkiness when the game has to stream in new assets. But there are games that don't look half as good as this one that don't run half as well on my computer. I think it is safe to say that with a 670 or higher you should be able to play this at 1080p maxed out at a steady 60 fps as long as you are willing to forgo MSAA and have a SSD installed to keep the streaming from becoming an issue. I ended up using the SweetFX Injector to put some SMAA into the game as MSAA caused a consistent 10 fps dip throughout the entire game. And while I can deal with playing a game running in the mid 40's, I pretty much draw the line there and none of the other normal tweaks (like turning off SSAO or lowering depth of field quality) was having much of an effect.

No Caption Provided

Anyways, all told this is just an amazingly beautiful game. Which is good because you spend most of the game exploring the area and the complete and utter lack of guidance means that you'll have to comb over some areas quite a few times. But with the areas looking this good I don't have any issue with that. And because the game doesn't require any quick or precise movement the variable framerate doesn't hinder the gameplay. I don't think I would recommend it if you have their minimum spec requirement of a 512 MB GPU, but I think as long as you are pushing 2 GB of VRAM along with a decent amount of system RAM you should be able to run this game well enough to play through it.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By PimblyCharles

I think you'd be interested in this: http://www.theastronauts.com/2014/03/visual-revolution-vanishing-ethan-carter/ It goes in to detail how the developers made the environment seem so natural and real. A lot of passion and work went into it.

Do you like hiking or being in the woods/nature? I'm passionate about hiking, which is likely one of the main reasons why The Vanishing stood out so much for me. I just finished it last night (what an ending; right?!) It feels like the rocks, landscape, elevation, trees, grass, and structures all belong where and as they should. Like they've been there for years and aged just like they would in nature. It's hard to explain. Basically, besides Skyrim, this is the closest a video game has came to make me feel like I'm really there and there's no Uncanny Valley going on. I bet this would be insane with Oculus. Anyway...

Great shots by the way! Hope you don't mind, but wanted to share some screens I took also:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Horror games aren't my favourite genre but it definitely looks nice, no doubt.

jamalarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

PimblyCharles, in my opinion the spaceship is a spoiler? I was certainly surprised by it so might be an idea to remove that image...

Definitely agree though. Absurdly good looking game.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By ProfessorEss

Man I would kill for a Don't Starve style survival game that looked like this.

I have very little interest in horror story/puzzle driven walkabouts but those shots are stunning.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Teoball

This is not a horror game. There's one area that might make you a little uneasy if you're particularly squeamish, but most of the time you're just walking around a beautiful world solving not that hard puzzles. I really enjoyed it.

EDIT: also, the quick look seems to have vanished.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I am so impressed with the visuals in the game. I've really enjoyed my time with this game so far. Although I'm stuck on the puzzle by the church with the dead crows.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Has anyone played this really like it but disliked Gone home?

Im asking because im interested in this but did not enjoy Gone Home much and have heard the 2 compared.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Ya I have this on my wishlist and I am very interested in it. I was looking forward to the quick look, but it didn't post to the site. I'm hoping that's due to software error and not someone telling them not to post it or something weird. It wouldn't be that I don't think- I'm pretty sure the game is out.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brandondryrock: I'm guessing you know about the hint system? cause I didn't for half the game. Whenever a bunch of the same words pop up (like the crow or oil lamp), stand still and turn around until they melt into one word in the middle of the screen. That's the direction the item is in. Then hold the A button(or left mouse button) to see exactly where the item is.

bson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@carryboy: I've played both (but I love Gone Home). Vanishing has some impressive graphics and more actual gameplay/puzzles. If you still liked the idea of Gone Home you might like this I guess..

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By conmulligan

@jamalarm said:

PimblyCharles, in my opinion the spaceship is a spoiler? I was certainly surprised by it so might be an idea to remove that image...

Yeah, I really wish I hadn't seen that screenshot...

Memu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@carryboy: I enjoyed Gone Home, but didn't (and don't) understand all the praise it got (GotY lists, c'mon!). The gameplay in Vanishing is a little more involved but it feels a lot like GH to me. I do not think if you disliked GH you would like to play VoEC.

I bought Vanishing because of the graphics mainly. If you have a capable (ie. high end PC) and like the forest it is worth $20 just for that. I can see the polygons in the trees up close, but apart from that, the illusion is total. I live in the desert so it isn't easy for me to get to a real forest.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By brandondryrock

@teoball: Wow. I just read your comment as I was watching the Quick Look right when Alex used the hint system. Amazing coincidence. But, no I wasn't aware of the hint system! That will help out a lot.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@memu: @bson: Ok, thankyou both. I did like the idea of Gone Home just didn't like the execution in places or the story much, I think ill get this in the steam sale.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By fattony12000

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pimblycharles: While not too much of a spoiler, especially considering it is like the second puzzle in the game, I would appreciate it if you removed the screenshot of the spaceship from your post. That is one of the more surprising moments of the game that I would have hated to have spoiled beforehand.

@carryboy: Well this game has puzzles and other "gamey" elements that Gone Home didn't have. They are both highly atmospheric and slow paced but this is far from a Walking Simulator.

Also, I am going to add some higher res screenshots I took with MSAAx4 enabled to the OP shortly. Tried using GeDoSaTo to get the game to run in 4k but it wasn't working for whatever reason. So these will be the best I could manage.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@carryboy said:

Has anyone played this really like it but disliked Gone home?

Im asking because im interested in this but did not enjoy Gone Home much and have heard the 2 compared.

I don't care one whit about gone home, but I bought this and have enjoyed it quite a bit from what I have played so far. Here is the thing, it is a difference of scope and story. Gone Home is a game that looks like a horror story at a glance but in reality is not a horror story at all, and in many ways there isn't even a real story to it, it also takes place in one house. Ethan Carter is a game that I would not call a horror story, but it has horror elements, does have a real story with a real plot beyond "why is no one home", takes place in an entire town, etc etc.

Gameplay wise are they super different? No. Execution, presentation, and story wise are they similar? No. To quote the games own opening sequence "This is a open world mystery game that refuses to hold your hand" or something to that effect, and I found that to be a very apt description.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PimblyCharles

@conmulligan said:

@jamalarm said:

Yeah, I really wish I hadn't seen that screenshot...

@raven10 said:

@pimblycharles: While not too much of a spoiler, especially considering it is like the second puzzle in the game, I would appreciate it if you removed the screenshot of the spaceship from your post. That is one of the more surprising moments of the game that I would have hated to have spoiled beforehand.

It's removed. Sorry folks. Great moment in the game though.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov: Perfect, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear!!!

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pimblycharles: No worries, dude. I know there was no harm meant. Just thought it was a surprising moment and after Alex skipped over that puzzle in the quick look I thought it was best left for people to discover on their own.

Memu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Memu

@raven10: You do spend most of your time walking, though. And there were a couple instances where I was reading scraps of paper with well written prose that I was strongly reminded of Gone Home.

It will be interesting to see if critics have Vanishing on their GotY lists. I think if Patrick plays it he might. Not many seem to be playing it.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@memu: I think the key difference to me is that Ethan Carter has puzzles whereas Gone Home literally just involves walking and looking at things. Now I loved Gone Home personally, but the more traditional gameplay of Ethan Carter I think might make it easier to swallow for those who felt Gone Home wasn't enough of a game.

Gazza13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game is my GOTY so far. Simply beautiful and keenly haunting. Is anyone from GB going to review this game (like Patrick for example)? I really don't want this game to be ignored and the more exposure the better. I really enjoyed Gone Home but this game was far better for me.

DrZing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DrZing

I think this game will turn out to be an important moment in graphic design in games. It's interesting contrasted with another big game, Mordor, making headlines for their ridiculous 6GB ultra textures that don't even come close to Carter's IMO. I would have probably said The Last of Us is the best-looking game, and expecting GTAV Remastered to top that, but now it's not so likely. A bit sad because I remember being similarly amazed about an outdoor environment in another game.. Unreal 1. You remember coming out of the spaceship into level 2 don't you? Now I am not even sure I could go back and play that game. Fitting that Carter is still using some of that original Unreal Engine code somewhere I am sure. I expect this type of leap will happen again in just a few years and Carter will be something my kids will look at and try not to laugh. Maybe not, they still love Minecraft. :)

After reading the blog posts about how the world was created I am even more blown away. And this game is from a tiny 8-person team in Poland.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By Zurv

The dayz people you use this engine :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.