Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Walking Dead: Season Two

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Dec 17, 2013

After separating from her friend Lee, young orphan Clementine must survive through the undead apocalypse with a new roaming group of survivors in this sequel to Telltale's adaptation of the comic book of the same name.

S2, Episode 3 - Your decisions (obvious spoiler territory)

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By AndrewB

No Caption Provided

Discuss.

My only issue with the episode was that I tried to admit stealing the Walkie Talkie in a more political way, as I felt was represented by the dialog options, but given the episode end choice list and the fact that Kenny ended up taking the brunt of the damage, my choice was not what I intended. From my point of view, Kenny interjected before I could follow through. It left me with a sour taste in my mouth, and reminds me of the Mass Effect series style of dialog choices, where your intentions might not reflect what the writer(s) intended.

Avatar image for deactivated-616d38c07628a
    deactivated-616d38c07628a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Your choices are the same as mine. A pretty good episode since it was hard to tell who was going to die, and the atmosphere was depressing so say the least. Nice to see others staying behind and watching that fucker die. It's going to be interesting to see where they are going with this plot line since there are only two episodes left

meaninoflife42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

While I feel like episode 2 was a bit better then this episode, I thought this one was pretty good. Seeing cameos from the other 400 Days characters really got me thinking about the choices I made during the final scene of that DLC. I didn't know what I got those characters into then but now, I wish I hadn't.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of the choices are the same except that I didn't trust Bonnie with the information about Luke. I was actually pretty surprised that they didn't even ATTEMPT to make Carver likable. I figured they would at least make you hesitant to kill him at least a little bit, but instead I was just cheering when his death came up. I'm also very glad that they didn't make Kenny vs Luke into a thing this episode - in fact, other than Kenny being a bit stubborn, he usually went along with the plans no problem. I also liked how shocked Luke was when I told him to just shoot Carver.

I'm curious to know whether Sarita survived at the end though - I chopped her arm off because I figured that since she was bitten it would save her life. She doesn't appear in any of the previews for episode 4 though, so I'm guessing that she's a goner. I also wonder what Sarah's up to, I doubt watching her dad die in front of her was really good for her mental health.

I'm eagerly awaiting the next episode.

MostInfamous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MostInfamous

With how they've given you the choice between staying and leaving I have a feeling that this new group + Sarita will ostracize the most militant members Kenny, and Clementine (if you stayed) for example.

I feel completely satisfied with the decisions this time, so for the first time I don't think I'm playing through this episode again.

Avatar image for chumley_marchbanks
    chumley_marchbanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I think the choice whether to watch Carver get killed is (at least for me) one of the deepest of both seasons, even if it doesn't come up again later. I chose to let Clem stay because I ended up getting swept up in the emotion and the drama of the situation, but thinking back to what Carver says to you in his office and listening to what he says just before his death made me severely regret my decision. He was wrong when he said they were the same; however, letting her condone what happens to him goes completely against that idea. I've always tried to have Clem reign in Kenny's recklessness, but when she needed to do it the most I fucked up. Hopefully the ramifications aren't too severe.

Good episode overall, although I was a bit disappointed that most of the 400 Days characters were just sort of shoehorned in where possible.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boy, do I feel like shit for staying to watch Kenny beat Carver to death. I got caught up in the emotion of it all. When Clem started wincing at Carver's beating, I knew I fucked up. But then, when she shook it off and just glared at him, I really knew I fucked up.

My Clementine is a modern-day Arya Stark.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the fact that Clementine is becoming a bad ass little bitch. Also I took more risk because I knew the game wouldn't kill my character off, but could easily kill off the supporting cast if I didn't take the blame. This episode was very action packed, but waaaay too short. God I hate waiting 3 months for something that barely lasts two hours.

But that's just a testament to how great telltale has gotten at this type of experience.

Oh and fuck that you cant apparently skip the credits. Also I love you guys, but I don't give a flying fuck about your pets.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#10 jeanluc  Staff

Man, great episode. I got real close to watching Kenny kill Carver but I didn't do. I've saved Clementine from that dark road... for now.

I'm curious where the tension will come from now that Carver is gone.

jen1220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My choices were pretty much the same, but I didn't tell Bonnie about Luke and I also didn't stay to watch Kenny kill Carver. But it was such a jam packed episode that I can't imagine having to wait so long to see what happens in the next one. I need more Walking Dead :(

Side note, am I the only one who finds Sarah to be REALLY annoying?!?

elcalavera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By elcalavera

Helped Sarah, told Bonnie, admitted (well, sort of) to stealing the walkie talkie, was about to watch Kenny kill Carver but changed my mind in the last moment, chopped off Sarita's arm (really came to regret that one when I realized this really wasn't the time to try to stop the bleeding).

Think this might be my favorite episode so far. The way Clementine is changing/progressing really, really got to me and during the last sequences I well and truly became an 11-year old girl just trying to scrape by in the zombie apocalypse.

@encephalon said:

My Clementine is a modern-day Arya Stark.

EXACTLY!

Jackhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By Jackhole

@tothenines said:

Also I took more risk because I knew the game wouldn't kill my character off, but could easily kill off the supporting cast if I didn't take the blame.

It would be super ballsy of them to kill off Clementine at the end of episode 4 or the beginning of episode 5 and have you play the rest of the season as Sarah or somebody. Maybe make it a player choice, like either save yourself, and let Sarah die, and you play out the rest of the series as Clementine, or you sacrifice yourself to save her, and play the rest as Sarah. I think that'd be really cool.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DinosaurCanada
    No Caption Provided

Liked this one better than the last one. The tension picked up really subtly and gradually, then all of a sudden I started feeling super nervous about what was going on, and that feeling just kept heightening. Felt like way more than just a mid-season bridge. It also ran way better, technically. I can't really remember the action scenes and loading times hitching the same way the other episodes did (on PC).

I'm liking Kenny more than I did last season, probably because he's basically Big Boss at this point. And Alvin died like a fucking gangster.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I felt like I was more willing to roll with whatever happened this time around. Character deaths which seemed possibly avoidable, gut decisions which seemed like not the greatest ones in retrospect, etc.

@elcalavera said:

...was about to watch Kenny kill Carver but changed my mind in the last moment, chopped off Sarita's arm (really came to regret that one when I realized this really wasn't the time to try to stop the bleeding)...

I stayed behind to watch because I wanted to make sure it was done. Following story writing logic, I couldn't leave any chance that someone had a change of heart, or that Carver overpowered everyone and ran off (I remembered the last time I left Kenny to hold down the homestead in episode 4 of last season). The guy was running a prison and went out of his way to hunt down people who left it. He couldn't be allowed to do it again, considering the master group plan was to do the exact same thing in escaping from them a second time.

I also used the same past experience in choosing to chop that arm off ASAP, having seen Lee succumb to zombification after giving it time to set in, despite chopping off the limb. Regardless of if it was the right choice, it was my gut choice given Clementine's personal experience. I tried to give her the best chance of survival.

@l1ghtn1n said:

...though I'm curious about what happens if you admit to taking the radio straight out. Does Carver attack you instead or does Kenny still step in?

I'd like to know that one because his response might have affected my decision about staying while he was offed. Would he brutalize a kid (and more interestingly, did Telltale allow that knowing the media storm that would follow regardless of the context)? Is it possible to save Kenny a world of long-lasting hurt? It's one of those things where I doubt the outcome would be different, but now I get the feeling that Kenny has something to lord over Clementine even though I thought the dialog decision I went with was me fessing up.

On a final note, it's weird to me that there's such a small amount of buzz for this season compared to the last (or maybe that's just the Giant Bomb community). This season so far has been every bit as interesting, even if the novelty of the method of storytelling has passed.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By golguin

I don't know what you all are talking about with Clementine, but my Clementine is raw as fuck. I was waiting for an opportunity like that and I didn't even wait for the characters to finish their dialogue before I had her jump at the chance to see him die. I was hyped as hell during the entire face smashing. My only complaint is that Clem didn't get some hits in herself.

The ending was really good as well because once Carlos went down you didn't know who was getting out alive. Overall the episode was slow to start, but it really picked up steam midway through and finished with a fantastic ending.

And I just saw the moment again with a little musical editing and I've got myself all hyped up again. Holy shit. I'm calling this the best gaming moment for the entire year. For people that didn't see the scene you have to see it.

Loading Video...
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin: "They will remember that."

Remember what? Taking out someone clearly worse than the zombies? Someone who had already hunted down, murdered, and brutalized multiple people for no good reason? Or in actuality, just bearing witness to the killing and not taking part in it? I don't play with those overlays because I like the storytelling to be more seamless and not feel so videogamey, but seeing that makes me conjecture about some really dumb consequences down the line. I'm going to be irritated if my reasoning for sticking around for the killing is read as me being "evil" by the story, because like I said, my own reason for sticking around wasn't to watch the guy be brutally finished, but because I just wanted to make sure the guy wasn't going to weasel away so that he could come after everyone again.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel sorry for letting clementine watch now, ffs kenny that was brutal. was not expecting it to be that bad but i stick by my decision.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloudnineboya: It's exactly the same brutality that Lee might have inflicted upon a zombie in the first episode of season 1. The hammer, inside Clem's house. It's about as brutal as what Carver did to Alvin, and countless others - minus the finality. Yeah, it might not have been necessary to kill him in such a horrible way, but it was the only way the game was going to allow, and I guess it has the added benefit of making sure he doesn't come back as a zombie since he no longer has a face.

MostInfamous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MostInfamous

@andrewb: But that was a walker, not a human being. People who haven't seen the kind of shit Kenny has seen make that kind of distinction like Rick in the first season. "We don't kill the living."

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

• Helped Sarah - 'cause why wouldn't you
    • Didn't tell Bonnie - Of all the 400 days characters Bonnie was my least favorite. That aside I don't see why Clem would want to include her.
    • Admitted stealing the Walky- I wanted to do it for political reasons. In Carvers office I agreed with him on everything so i figured I could try to stay on his 'good' side or something like that.
    • Watched Kenny kill Carver - because Clementine is STONE COLD and don't fuck around.
    • Chopped of Arm - because she's dead if you don't.

Well. That ending was something.

I didn't much care for the game part of this episode. Every episode I feel like I go into it saying "I hope Telltale makes this episode a little more adventure gamey." I just want some puzzles. Just a few. I feel like the first seasons Motel and Sewer are a decent example of what I'm looking for. That shack stuff was fun in the season opener. That being said, every episode I ended up really liking the storytelling and enjoy to episode because of it, and I put off complaining about the lack of player interaction until the next episode.

This is the episode were I complain about it. I felt like as a player you have zero impact, or even the illusion of impact, on the story or characters until the very end. Every big decision you could make in this episode is immediately revealed to not really matter. Working with Reggie I knew nothing I did would change the situation. I knew nothing I said at the campfires would change the corse of the groups plan. I knew even though deep down it would probably be more beneficial to Clementine to side with Carver that the game wouldn't let me. What if I want to stay with Carver? That place was pretty sweet. On top of that, WHY did you guys run away in the first place? Was there ever a dialogue option to ask the group "Why didn't you tell me about your checkered past with post apocalypse Michael Madsen and how that could lead to bad things for me down the road?"

There was a lot going on in this episode and a lot of new information that I felt I never got to explore and I'm not sure I will in be able to in the next one either. Being a prisoner probably has something to do with limited player involvement and illusion of choice, but overall I feel like I wanted more out of it. I wasn't satisfied with the gameplay (of which I know isn't the point of these games, but I'd like to feel like I'm doing something more than just progressing story through dialogue trees) or the flow narrative for most of the episode. I just felt ditatched from what was going on around me for the majority of the time spent playing.

That being said, the last 5-10 minutes really pick up. Everything after you leave Carver's camp puts Clementine in the worst situation imaginable. Being there when Sarah is freaking out and trying to pick the right thing to say only to have Carlos immediately get shot and murdered was just fucking tragic. I don't know if we'll ever see Sarah again, but I'm not looking forward to that awkward conversation if we do. At all.

Finally that slow mo shot of Sarita getting her wrist bitten...today was a bad day. When things slowed down I just took a deep breath and told myself "Yup, I know what comes next." Good reference or link or whatever to Rick and Jessie from the comics.

And that last scene with her just screaming clutching her brand new stump and the cut to black was perfect.

I may not of loved this episode but it at least has me looking forward to what's to come which is what's important. I'm not done with the series, not by a long shot.

I look forward to Solid Kenny's quest for a Metal Gear Boat in the 4th episode.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#22  Edited By Yummylee

Great as always, though there was even less of an actual 'game' here than usual I noticed. Ending was superb and really took me off-guard, though as soon as I noticed the gunfire on the roof I knew their crossfire was going to hit one of our own, just wasn't expecting it to be Carlos =( I liked how it all happened amidst your dialogue choice, too. It hasn't been the first time, but it really adds to the sense of how everything is happening and there's no time for hesitation. Anything can happen at anytime.

I was really surprised that this whole encounter with Carver wrapped up within the episode; I had figured he would maybe then be situated as the primary antagonist. It's for the better anywhoo, keeps the game moving, and there's a lot of new characters, too. Also liked the twist that 400 Days was actually about Carver recruiting more people to his cause.

One thing that I dislike is how Nick barely done anything during this episode, and that's clearly because if you chose to help Jack (?) in E1 he'd likely be dead by now... So instead of actually building a new set of circumstances around Nick, he's just sorta... there. I imagine he'll also be killed off in the next episode, too. Really lovin' the relationship between Clem & Kenny develop, too. Clem lost Lee and Kenny lost Duck, so it's only natural for them to be drawn to each other in a father-daughter kind of way. Felt good in giving Kenny another hug after he awoke before the big escape was underway. He's still sort of a control freak at times, but I'll (most likely) be having Clem side with him at every turn regardless.

Also, I totally thought Luke was infected -- I mean the game was heavily implying as such. But apparently not? Don't think he would have survived the day if so.

Anywhoo, choices:

Helped Sarah with her chores

Nah, because like most I'm playing Clementine fucking cold, and I've often belittled Sarah at practically every chance I get. Though I see it as Clementine trying to toughen her up since she knows how necessary it'll be. It's not that she actually hates her, just... y'know, tough love and all that.

Told Bonnie About Luke?

Yeah, why not. She seemed trustworthy and felt like someone who was too swept up amidst the chaos and had simply gotten to comfortable to the safety of their bunker to even really think about how much of a psychopath Carver was. She was clearly intentionally looking the other way, but Clementine made sure she knew exactly what sort of person Carver was.

Admitted to stealing the walkie talkie?

It says I tried to hide it, although I'm pretty sure I did in fact admit to it. Kenny took the blame, though, and a nasty beating to boot. But i figured that was supposed to happen, and that he would always jump in to took the fall?

Watched Kenny kill Carver?

Fucking yes I did -- Clementine is cold as ice. Good on Michael Madsen, too. He done a pretty good as Carver.

Chopped off Sarita's arm?

Duh. Same reason why I chose Nick over Jack, plus it had the foreshadowing with Rajeev (who btw I thought was poorly voiced) losing his arm to halt the infection, too.

WalkmanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way my version of Clementine is playing out it made sense for her to stay and watch. I think Carver was right, Clem ISN'T like the others. She does care about others but she also has the capacity for corruption that Carver was talking about. Plus, sticking with mah boy Kenny till the end!

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I helped Sarah.
    I didn't tell Bonnie.
    I admitted to stealing the walkie talkie and then I tried to stop Kenny get beaten up.
    I watched Kenny bludgeon that fucker to death.
    I chopped off Sarita's arm.

All I can add to this is, fuck you Carlos, fuck you Luke, fuck you Todd (I'm glad your dick got shot off) and fuck everyone right now who isn't Kenny.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By Jedted
    No Caption Provided

A fairly intense episode, i'm pretty happy with my choices except for the last one. I was thinking i would have to cut of Sarita's hand but the interaction was over her head so i took it to mean a straight kill. Maybe i was overestimating the brutality of TellTale's choices.

I get the feeling that Sarah will end up like Sophia on the TV show. Hope i'm wrong about that.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By Sessh
    • Helped Sarah. - But just because I thought it would get Clem in trouble, if Sarah messed up once again. Well, didn't quiet go the well I thought it would go. I just hope she's dead now, I hate her just as much as I hated Ben.
    • Told Bonnie. - At that point they needed an inside man. Also after what happened the last few days, I thought it opened up Bonnie's eyes alright.
    • I admitted to stealing the walkie talkie. - The game thought differently though, which is weird.
    • Watched Kenny kill Carver. - Well, fucking obviously. That guy had it coming, and I want the rest of the group to be aware of what Clem's capable of. Fear her a bit, if need be.
    • Chopped of Sarita's arm. - Even though I don't think the story about how Rajeev (?) lost his arm was the truth. (It was Carver. Let's be real.) I still think it at least gives her a chance. (It did work on people in the comic, so there is precedent.)

Anyway, it was a pretty great episode.

I really hope the new girl stays around for a while, because she seems like someone I could get behind. Which would be especially good, since I think everyone else in the group (except for Kenny) are total wusses and not capable of surviving for a prolonged period of time. I mean Nick is okay, but he won't go anywhere either.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By gkhan

Great episode. I wouldn't mind it if they made it a little more "gamey" with some adventure-style puzzles, but honestly I play this series for the story. And the story rules. As long as they keep that up, they don't have to get to advanced with the mechanics.

They way I'm thinking about Clementine is that she's pretty messed up. She was abandoned by her parents (not their fault, but still) and had to watch Lee die. She's gonna grow up to become a mean motherfucker, but right now I'm enjoying her being the bad-ass kid. I loved Luke asked "who's gonna turn on the PA?" and everyone looked at Clementine. Because of course it's Clementine, she's far and away the most capable member of this posse, with the possible exception of Kenny when it comes to killing zombies. I choose the line "why does it always have to be me?", just so that she could make the full transformation into becoming John McClane.

Great episode. Can't wait for the next one.

Heycalvero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really good episode, as usual.

I did my own work instead of helping Sarah, mostly because I was expecting some sort of dialog to open up. I was gearing up to finally start being a little tougher on her and ended up regretting it right after. Does Carver get pissed then because YOU didn't get your work done if you help her?

I kept the plan from Bonnie because the stakes were just too high and she had already fucked us over. Previous knowledge from 400 Days lets us know that she really is hella unstable.

I admitted I got the walkie-talkie and Kenny took the blow. I was surprised at how emotional I got at seeing him get up after seeing the group going through the possibility of having to leave him behind. Hugged the fuck out of him. In season 1 I generally had a pretty close relationship with him, I'm curious if he has any different reactions to Clem now if you were on his bad side last season (anyone?).

Watched Kenny dig into that motherfuckers skull. I'm actually playing a not so full-on badass Clementine (at least in comparison to what I see on forums), but goddamn I told Luke to shoot him. Dude was pure evil.

I killed the zombie first. Not because I don't intend to chop off the arm, but if I chopped it off, I would still have a live zombie going at us in the midst of chaos, not counting a probably screaming lady drawing more of them to us. Lee got his arm off at least an hour after being bitten, the characters that have survived this in the comics took action much faster than that (say a couple of minutes), but still a live zombie is priority 1. At least that was my instinct reaction.

Bummed about Alvin and Carlos, good men. I expect the main conflict for the rest of the season to be around Sarah. In one way it's cool to see Clementine having to completely shift roles, in another it would be disappointing if the season repeats the first one by ending with a search for a "damsel in distress".

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I really dug this episode. Especially Punished Kenny. That hardcore revenge in the stock room was the best. Of course Clem stayed for it. She's not a little kid anymore. Hasn't been since she killed Lee. I think Sarah is an interesting way to show how Clementine could have wound up if Lee hadn't taken the time to prepare her for the world. Sarah is a kid, yes, but she's also a burden on anyone in this world. She has no idea how to function because her father chose to shelter her, and now with him gone and she's on the run, there's no telling how or even if she can make it on her own. She needs to grow up, fast.

And the absolute best line of dialogue:

"It's gonna get messy."
    "I know."

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I'm a bit surprised that a majority stayed behind to watch Carver eat it, at least as of right now. I stayed behind because fuck that guy. Also did it strike anyone else as odd how no one seemed to mind that he was crawling around on the floor while he still had his sidearm strapped to his leg? No one had a gun on him except for maybe Luke who wasn't worth shit at that point and no one was that close to him so I'm sure he could have gotten at least a shot off before anyone could stop him if he tried. Dunno, that really stuck out to me as odd.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By awesomeusername

I think this episode was fantastic and the best so far. The end when you're all covering yourselves up and walking through zombies literally scared the shit out of me. I was on the edge of my seat and when Sarah's dad got bit, I just flipped because I knew shit was going down. As for my choices:

• Helped Sarah - Fucking Christ is she useless. She gets Reggie thrown off a roof (Because I had to help her) and then her dad eaten. I mean I was sympathetic towards her in the beginning but once she got Reggie killed, that was it.
    • Told Bonnie - I just told her I had to talk to Kenny. I didn't trust her after the last episode. Although I do trust her now.
    • Walkie Talkie - I tried to hide it but Kenny took it and got his eye bashed in like everyone else because it would've happened either way.
    • Watched Kenny Kill Carver? - Yes. Fuck that guy, I was waiting for him to die since Episode 2.
    • Cut off Sarita's arm - Hell yeah! I was instantly reminded of Lee and what happens when you take to long. No way am I letting her die. Although that preview...

FUCK. I was wondering why you guys were saying the 400 Days characters were in this when I didn't see them so I checked my PS3 saves and nope, it isn't there. It's not in my cloud either. So now I feel compelled to play it all over and play this episode over just to see if they ever show up in future episodes or seasons. Maybe use a walkthrough to get them to go to the camp. Or let them all stay out of there since they might end up dying from Carver. Fuck man.
    FUCK!

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I feel like episode 2 was a bit better then this episode, I thought this one was pretty good. Seeing cameos from the other 400 Days characters really got me thinking about the choices I made during the final scene of that DLC. I didn't know what I got those characters into then but now, I wish I hadn't.

Yeah that was a really great twist on that, when I ended 400 days I felt bad for the guy who stayed behind, now I feel bad for everyone that left.
    I'm hoping that we'll get to see some sort of peek at those who stayed behind next episode.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LackingSaint

A distinct meh to this episode, which is a shame because I thought Episode 2 was a fantastic comeback from the tedium of Episode 1 of this Season. This time around I think the episode suffered from a complete lack of surprises and, crucially, an over-reliance on the illusion of choice; just look at the Helping Sarah choice, which has neither any effect on your interactions with her, nor any effect on the fate of Reggie. Look at the Informing Bonnie of Luke choice, which doesn't have any bearing on if or how Bonnie helps you. ESPECIALLY look at the Walkie Talkie choice, which isn't even really a choice because you're interrupted right after you start speaking anyway. Did we honestly need another "Mash this button except it's impossible to complete the prompt" QTE? I just got a strong air of all of the frustrations felt by all of the people not into this game series, and I didn't much care for it. Characters weren't even particularly developed much, and the most impactful choice was, fittingly, one you don't see the repercussions of (Sarita's Arm). It just feels like people are completely making it up when they say the episode was "filled with difficult choices", honestly.

A few episodes ago I would have said "Hey they'll probably do something cool and have Sarita survive if you cut off the arm and infected if you didn't" but at this point I just think they're going to have her die either way at the beginning, because this removal of actual results of actions seems like a common thread nowadays.

Also they really needed better music for that loudspeaker scene, right? I can't be the only one who saw that CD go in the player and was ready for something atmospheric and powerful, only to be disappointed by quiet elevator tunes and a half-assed supermarket skit.

On the plus-side, they did a fantastic job of making me despise Carver, made sure to tell him at every opportunity how much I hated him, and you bet I shot him and watched Kenny kill him!

EDIT: And oh jeez, I really feel sorry for people that had Alvin alive in their playthroughs. What a lame cop-out to let the player save them and then IMMEDIATELY kill him.

Heycalvero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Heycalvero

@awesomeusername: Not worth replaying if it's only for this episode, man. I had everyone join Carver at the end of my 400 Days and Bonnie is the only one who get real interactions, the other guys have one scene cameos with a couple of lines at best. It was pretty disappointing actually.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Yeah, the more I see about the decisions other people took, at least I know I'm not alone in feeling like the Walkie Talkie decision is either bugged or poorly represented. At least it's not completely broken, or else the percentage would be 100.

I also wonder about Pete (if that's who you're talking about - I had to look up the name myself). The decision to leave him behind felt like one of the easiest I've had to make this season - not only because he was bitten, but because he was all the way across a stream surrounded by zombies, to boot. Maybe I made the less interesting decision, though. Nick seems so wildly incompetent that it might not matter if he dies later.

Also, hugging Kenny is one of the most rewarding moments this season. Kind of makes me wonder how things are going to turn now that I chopped his girlfriend's arm off. If anyone could understand why it was necessary, it should be Kenny.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#36  Edited By Yummylee

@andrewb: Yes, Pete! That was the one. Oh well, you knew who I meant anywhoo :P

Regarding the arm chopping, I'd like to think that Kenny will reference Lee's (if you chose it of course) failed attempt to stop the infection from spread by way of cutting his arm off in TWD S1, which might make for an interesting bit of contention between whether it was worth it or not. Of course you've also got Rajeev who proven that if done quickly enough it can in fact halt the infection. And for as incompetent as Nick's been made to be, I'm sure Pete would similarly go through the same motions and there's ultimately little difference between whom you decided to save. Much like of course when it came to choosing between Carla and Doug in S1E1.

Also, just brought to mind another sweet little moment where you can reference Lee discovering how lathering zombie guts all over you can help you hide amongst them. ''Nice one, Lee'' <3

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andrewb said:

My only issue with the episode was that I tried to admit stealing the Walkie Talkie in a more political way, as I felt was represented by the dialog options, but given the episode end choice list and the fact that Kenny ended up taking the brunt of the damage, my choice was not what I intended. From my point of view, Kenny interjected before I could follow through. It left me with a sour taste in my mouth, and reminds me of the Mass Effect series style of dialog choices, where your intentions might not reflect what the writer(s) intended.

I understand the concern that your choices don't matter or that the writers have a specific agenda, but it's completely believable that your choices can be overruled or disregarded. Of course Kenny would take the blame, and may I remind you that prior and during Season Two production, Tell Tale emphasized the importance of Clementine being a child and thus not always having the final word (Carlos pulled the "adults are talking" bullcrap in the van).

FYI When I played it today, 70.2% of people watched Kenny kill Carver. My takeaway is that 3/10 of players are pussies.

One last thought: I was unsure of how my talk with Carter would play out. I guess it didn't really matter in the end (I didn't see an effect on the narrative), but when I agreed with him I was doing so deceitfully, but I wasn't sure if that is how the game understood it. My thought is that there should be a [LIE] modifier so that you can give explicit meaning to your choice and don't have to guess what the two words next to the button mean.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Finally got around finishing it. Fuck that episode.

• Helped Sarah with her chores.
    • Told Bonnieabout Luke.
    • Admitted to stealing the walkie talkie - I said I found it. I wasn't going to try to pretend I didn't have it, I mean, the antenna was sticking out of my pocket >_>
    • Watched Kenny kill Carver - That whole revenge part starting with Clem kicking Carver got me feeling all bloodthirsty - and I just felt like I had to roll with it D:
    • Chopped off Sarita's arm.

Now on to Wolf Among Us 4...

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andrewb said:

I understand the concern that your choices don't matter or that the writers have a specific agenda, but it's completely believable that your choices can be overruled or disregarded. Of course Kenny would take the blame, and may I remind you that prior and during Season Two production, Tell Tale emphasized the importance of Clementine being a child and thus not always having the final word (Carlos pulled the "adults are talking" bullcrap in the van).

FYI When I played it today, 70.2% of people watched Kenny kill Carver. My takeaway is that 3/10 of players are pussies.

One last thought: I was unsure of how my talk with Carter would play out. I guess it didn't really matter in the end (I didn't see an effect on the narrative), but when I agreed with him I was doing so deceitfully, but I wasn't sure if that is how the game understood it. My thought is that there should be a [LIE] modifier so that you can give explicit meaning to your choice and don't have to guess what the two words next to the button mean.

There wouldn't have been any concern if that was the case because that would be an okay way of throwing in the reality that other people can make their own choices regardless of your own, but because I know there's a "right" way of doing it (obviously, because at the time I played 67.1 people "tried to hide the theft," which means 32.9 didn't). I can't quite remember the exact wording of the dialog option, but I guess I could see if there was any hesitance/delay that Kenny would step in and defuse the situation to save Clem. It just didn't seem that way at the time. But it was one of those heat of the moment decisions I could have misconstrued, since I don't even remember the phrasing.

Finally got around finishing it. Fuck that episode.

• Helped Sarah with her chores.
    • Told Bonnieabout Luke.
    • Admitted to stealing the walkie talkie - I said I found it. I wasn't going to try to pretend I didn't have it, I mean, the antenna was sticking out of my pocket >_>
    • Watched Kenny kill Carver - That whole revenge part starting with Clem kicking Carver got me feeling all bloodthirsty - and I just felt like I had to roll with it D:
    • Chopped off Sarita's arm.

Now on to Wolf Among Us 4...

I'm also kind of glad I'm not the only one who felt totally justified/vindicated that I got to skip the media trope of not sticking around to watch the bad guy get what he deserved, plus the whole "Clementine is a pretty, innocent girl" thing. Also, I maintain that I really only did it because I wanted to be there to do it myself if anyone fucked up or had a change of heart.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

I feel guilty but I've been getting really pissed at Sarah, who needs to grow the hell up and realize that her actions/inactions have consequences.

I went easier on her at first, but going forward it's all going to be "shut up" or "deal with it".

climax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Helped Sarah with her chores

No way. I never thought I would hate a character more than duck, but sarah proved me wrong

Told Bonnie About Luke?

No, because I know she is trying to help, but fuck her.

Admitted to stealing the walkie talkie?

Yeah, I wanted to see what carver would do.

Watched Kenny kill Carver?

Yes. It was fantastic. Clem is a badass that gives 0 fucks.

Chopped off Sarita's arm?

I think I did the obvious answer of chopping it off.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.