Activision Really Is Going to Try to Release The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct in March

Posted by Alex (1935 posts) -

I imagine I needn't remind you all of the hilarious non-trailer debacle involving Activision and Terminal Reality's The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct. After all, it happened just a week ago. There was a whole thing with the footage looking really terrible, and then we found out the footage came from a demonstration of the game on IGN, but had been edited together by some mysterious "fan." Anyway, the moral of that story was that Survival Instinct really didn't look ready for prime time, regardless of who was doing the trailer editing. Art assets looked plasticky and cheap, screen tearing was everywhere, and the action seemed to shamble along at an utterly unremarkable pace. It looked more pre-alpha than pre-release.

Which makes today's news that The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct will release in late March for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC, and Wii U somewhat...perplexing? I guess?

The dates do at least hew toward the end of the month (as if that were any comfort). North American players will be able to see just what the hell this thing even is on March 26th, while Europeans will make similarly chilling discoveries on March 29th.

As if in tacit acknowledgement that the Internet at large hated what it saw of the game in that bootleg video, Activision released a new trailer to go alongside the announcement, albeit one that features zero gameplay footage. Instead, game and television show stars Norman Reedus and Michael Rooker find themselves suddenly staring at a camera, tasked with making some off-the-cuff remarks about how excited they are about this game. The results are perhaps as one might predict.

Sigh. I'm going to have to review this, aren't I?

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (1935 posts) -

I imagine I needn't remind you all of the hilarious non-trailer debacle involving Activision and Terminal Reality's The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct. After all, it happened just a week ago. There was a whole thing with the footage looking really terrible, and then we found out the footage came from a demonstration of the game on IGN, but had been edited together by some mysterious "fan." Anyway, the moral of that story was that Survival Instinct really didn't look ready for prime time, regardless of who was doing the trailer editing. Art assets looked plasticky and cheap, screen tearing was everywhere, and the action seemed to shamble along at an utterly unremarkable pace. It looked more pre-alpha than pre-release.

Which makes today's news that The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct will release in late March for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC, and Wii U somewhat...perplexing? I guess?

The dates do at least hew toward the end of the month (as if that were any comfort). North American players will be able to see just what the hell this thing even is on March 26th, while Europeans will make similarly chilling discoveries on March 29th.

As if in tacit acknowledgement that the Internet at large hated what it saw of the game in that bootleg video, Activision released a new trailer to go alongside the announcement, albeit one that features zero gameplay footage. Instead, game and television show stars Norman Reedus and Michael Rooker find themselves suddenly staring at a camera, tasked with making some off-the-cuff remarks about how excited they are about this game. The results are perhaps as one might predict.

Staff
#2 Posted by orshick (170 posts) -

Really?

#3 Posted by joeshabadoo (246 posts) -

really

#4 Posted by LegendaryChopChop (1169 posts) -

Just a cash opportunity without any artistic merit whatsoever. Disgraceful to the franchise.

#5 Posted by datarez (538 posts) -

You don't *have* to review it. I don't think there are really any expectations on this game so I'd be totally fine if the GB crew skipped it.

#6 Posted by Animasta (14637 posts) -

yes you are alex

yes you are

embrace it

#7 Posted by cityfires (19 posts) -

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

#8 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4674 posts) -

That new "trailer" is so desperate.

#9 Posted by _Chad (962 posts) -

I sat here for a good two minutes trying to think of something witty to say, but I couldn't come up with anything, this game is going to be shit.

#10 Posted by Kerned (1169 posts) -

"We should release this as soon as possible in order to create confusion in the marketplace so we might capitalize on the positive buzz surrounding Telltale's Walking Dead game." - Some guy in an Activision marketing meeting

#11 Posted by Mystyr_E (1187 posts) -

Man you should see their Facebook page. People are JAZZED about it, talking about pre-orders and shit and I'm trying to yell at em like "don't buy it, save your money!" Not getting through to people :(

#12 Edited by MeatSim (10739 posts) -

I look forward to Alex's inevitable review.

#13 Posted by wrecks (2198 posts) -

Yikes.

#14 Posted by Draxyle (1779 posts) -

Oh jeez. I am morbidly curious as to what the state of this game will be when it comes out. And this will be a 60 dollar release, I wager.

That new "trailer" is even more damning of the product if they can't even give us a five second CG cinematic.

#15 Posted by RobertOrri (1118 posts) -

Hahahaha!

#16 Posted by JordanaRama (158 posts) -

"Merle and Daryl in a game. What can be better than that?"

Just about anything, Mr. Rooker.

#17 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Minecraft graphics don't look amazing, I guess it's just a cash grab game.

Just because this game has Activision attached to it everyone wants to hate on it. I'll wait until I play it before saying anything about it. I thought that video looked pretty cool gameplay wise.

#18 Posted by RazielCuts (2911 posts) -

Giant Bomb's Worst Game of 2013 Presented By Alex Navarro

#19 Posted by hollitz (1397 posts) -

Excited to see if this turns out worse than season two of the show!

#20 Posted by videogamesarenotart (121 posts) -

the gameplay still looks better than hotline miami

#21 Posted by TwoLines (2785 posts) -

Oh flip... That sucks.

#22 Posted by RobertOrri (1118 posts) -

@Draxyle said:

Oh jeez. I am morbidly curious as to what the state of this game will be when it comes out. And this will be a 60 dollar release, I wager.

According to Amazon.com, yeah, it's a $60 product.

#23 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

It's still possible that the footage shown was actually very old and that this game is actually ready to be released in March.

And in response to the inevitable quote:

I said possible, not likely.

#24 Posted by GalacticPunt (1016 posts) -

@RazielCuts said:

Giant Bomb's Worst Game of 2013 Presented By Alex Navarro

Exactly, they're looking like a lock for this category!

#25 Posted by CharAznable (773 posts) -

Way to capitalize on all the love The Walking Dead property has gotten lately, based on the success of the Telltale games. Just flush all that good will right down the shitter, Activision.

#26 Edited by granderojo (1778 posts) -

To be fair, Norman Reedus was talking about this game way before this. He seemed actually stoked about it on his twitter like a long while ago.

#27 Posted by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

Oh wow that trailer was even worse than I imagined.

#28 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I'm laughing my ass off here

#29 Posted by VaultDweller13 (95 posts) -

@jdh5153: Fuck that, this is the internet! We hate change yet hate it when things are similar to other things! How dare you wait to make a rational opinion of your own. For shame.

#30 Posted by Nardak (461 posts) -

Is activision really so strapped for cash that it cant give the game a few more months for polish.

This just seems like a fire and forget strategy with minimal marketing push.

#31 Posted by supermonkey122 (809 posts) -

What a great trailer.

#32 Posted by csl316 (7979 posts) -

As for the review, you did this to yourself, Alex. Gave 5 stars to Telltale's Walking Dead so now things have to balance out.

#33 Posted by RecSpec (3753 posts) -

Couldn't help but laugh when I saw this.

#34 Posted by Piqued_Interest (63 posts) -

Compared to even the broken mess that Dead Island was, this looks real bad.

#35 Posted by Draxyle (1779 posts) -

@RobertOrri said:

@Draxyle said:

According to Amazon.com, yeah, it's a $60 product.

Jeebus. With half the effort of Telltale's 25$ product, I would guarantee.

Then again, this is the publisher that charged 40$ for the Angry Birds console trilogy. Activision has crazy ideas about market value.

#36 Posted by PsychONeill (29 posts) -

Sounds like Activision are just trying to get it out before the end of the financial year to recoup as much cash as possible. Maybe they've written it off already.

#37 Edited by mrfluke (5049 posts) -

yep, please destroy this game in your review when it comes out. you write the best snarky reviews

#38 Posted by briansanderson (133 posts) -

Trailer sold me. WTF was this. Ugh.

#39 Posted by PoToSkull (103 posts) -

If this game sells more copies than Talltales Walking Dead, can we all quit video games?

#40 Posted by Gergleflerg (41 posts) -

You can tell how much they care about the game when they put out a 15-second clip and can't even get the actors to fake any enthusiasm.

#41 Posted by Aetheldod (3495 posts) -

LOL .... yes this is Alex review material alright :P

#42 Posted by MrGtD (445 posts) -

@PoToSkull: If it does, it'll be a massive success. Telltale recently announced that they sold 8.5 million episodes, which means they almost sold 2 million full seasons.

#43 Posted by KoolAid (821 posts) -

Not gonna judge anything till the game is out.

But if I was a betting man...

#44 Posted by Chuggsy (554 posts) -

@PoToSkull said:

If this game sells more copies than Talltales Walking Dead, can we all quit video games?

I'm in.

#45 Posted by Shaanyboi (1256 posts) -

This is going to be TERRIBLE... and so fun to watch.

#46 Posted by civid (336 posts) -

@Nardak: They just don't give a fuck. I seriously suspect they hope some poor housemother sees this and buys it to her teenage son because she thinks it's that cool zombiegame her son has been talking so much about. Or maybe they're just on drugs, who knows

#47 Posted by strangeling (1260 posts) -

Of course. Because it doesn't need to be good, it just has to make $$$. The target audience probably isn't 'gamers,' it's more likely 'television viewers who also play some games.' You know they'll advertise it as much as they did that facebook game too. (Which I never quite got around to trying myself. Can anyone tell me their opinion of it?)

#48 Posted by Deusoma (3000 posts) -
@Piqued_Interest said:

Compared to even the broken mess that Dead Island was, this looks real bad.

Yeah, and it's probably important to note that Dead Island got its shit together with a few patches after launch, whereas this is probably always going to look this bad.
#49 Posted by ripelivejam (3470 posts) -

lmao

#50 Posted by EveretteScott (1444 posts) -

@CharAznable said:

Way to capitalize on all the love The Walking Dead property has gotten lately, based on the success of the Telltale games. Just flush all that good will right down the shitter, Activision.

Little late there. This game was announced a bit back.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.