Am I the only one who thinks this game could be interesting?

#1 Posted by Choffy (443 posts) -

I know some people aren't so keen on the idea of this game (especially after Telltale's tearjerker), but am I the only one who thinks this could be interesting?

For fans of the fiction, this could really provide some background (if Robert Kirkman is alright with it) to the outbreak. I know Kirkman has said The Walking Dead is about survival and not how the world got where it was, but depending on how long it took Daryl and Merle to meet up with the rest of the crew, we could see the beginnings of the outbreak, which is something I've always wanted the series to explore more in-depth.

As far as the gameplay, I've heard some people express concern that the game will be Call of Duty with a zombie skin. But considering how scarce resources are in the show, I don't see this being the case. "Save your bullet" is an idea that is always being blurted out by people, so a first person shooter where you don't have unlimited ammo could be interesting. Add in a Left 4 Dead 2 type system for melee weapons, the gameplay could be interesting.

Not to mention the relationship between the two brothers. Daryl and Merle are essentially opposites in terms of morals. Seeing how they respond to each other when "the shit hits the fan" sounds interesting.

Those are my two cents, at least.

#2 Posted by Funzzo (835 posts) -

If it's a good game I will give it a shot.

#3 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Kirkman's not very involved since it's based on the TV show and apparently it's more of an AMC joint. He also said that he didn't want The Walking Dead turned into a shooter.

#4 Posted by wewantsthering (1578 posts) -

Naturally it can be interesting. I think most people thought Tell Tale's Walking Dead game was going to be garbage after Jurassic Park came out.

#5 Posted by Cymatics (90 posts) -

It could been, but I kinda don't have faith in Activision not trying to just cash in asap, nor Terminal Reality's ability to make something good. They've just made to much shit for me to be able to have faith in this game at all.

Maybe if that picked another studio.

#6 Posted by Morningstar (2191 posts) -

Of course not.

#7 Posted by Zaccheus (1797 posts) -

After playing the Telltale game the idea of an FPS seems kind of... hollow. Could still be amazing.

#8 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -

Activision-published, Terminal Reality-developed?

Yeah, no. Not happening. This is a bad idea. Even if the game is mediocre it will be shot down after Telltale's success.

#9 Posted by DarthOrange (3867 posts) -

It looks like it could be neat at the right price. Is this going to be a $60 release or a budget $40 release? 

#10 Posted by handlas (2700 posts) -

Welp, after seeing some gameplay footage on IGN... man that looks like complete garbage. Hopefully that's like a super early build and doesn't represent the final product. Doubtful.

#11 Posted by mellotronrules (1223 posts) -

it has the potential to be interesting. but shooting zombies isn't in any way compelling to me- it's been done to death already. if it gets more survival-horror-ish with inventory management and an interesting narrative- it might work. but i'm not optimistic.

#12 Posted by Redbullet685 (6054 posts) -

@handlas said:

Welp, after seeing some gameplay footage on IGN... man that looks like complete garbage. Hopefully that's like a super early build and doesn't represent the final product. Doubtful.

Yeah, it just looks bad. And not just graphically, it also just doesn't look like it will be that fun. Not really hopeful for it at all after seeing the footage on IGN.

#13 Posted by Icebuncle (50 posts) -

I'm a big fan of the fiction so I'm interested in the game. Daryl and Merle are my favourite caracters from the TV series, so I would love to get more backstory on them. Like you, I'm also interested in the relationship between them and how it develops.

That being said, the footage that is out so far doen't seem promising. I'm not a fan of FPS games either. I will play it at some point, but probably after a price drop.

#14 Edited by Ghostiet (5289 posts) -

That footage looks like garbage.

I have little faith in the game since it's a Terminal Reality joint (and they hadn't done a good game since BloodRayne) and it was announced shortly after the success of Telltale's The Walking Dead and the devs promised choices. It just reminds me of the time when Activision was rumored to be collecting a team with the intent on making a TPP action-adventure game in the CoD franchise after Uncharted 2 blew everything out of the water commercially and critically - it's the same soulless mentality that you could expect from a company ran by Bobby Kotick.

#15 Posted by zenmastah (947 posts) -

God that looks awful.

#16 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1856 posts) -

The only one? No, definitely not. Out of the two of us? Absolutely.

Edit: 777 POSTS DINGDINGDING JACKPOOOOT

#17 Posted by project343 (2833 posts) -
  1. It looks like ass
  2. It's based on the TV show (which is pretty awful)
#18 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2362 posts) -

Looks super shitty. Let's just wait for the impending Alex review so we know just how shitty it is.

#19 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

I will probably hire it just because it is the brothers story, they are my favourite characters from the show.

#20 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2499 posts) -

I like what I'm hearing the Terminal Reality/Activision guy telling me is going to be happening in the Greg Miller video.

But who am I fooling, there is a 97% chance this game is going to be utter garbage.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.