Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Apr 16, 2013

A first-person survival horror game and prequel to the horror drama television series The Walking Dead, telling the tale of hunter Daryl Dixon as he travels through the rural U.S.A. with his brother, Merle, during the beginning of the zombie outbreak.

Survival Instinct isn't as bad as I thought it would be

• 61 results
    SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Right now I am about 20 minutes into the game, and already this game has surpassed the very low standards I had for it. I thought it was just going to be a L4D like clone or a straight up terrible FPS game, but there's more to it than that.

The intro plays out exactly like an episode of Walking Dead would, complete with a small twist right before the music cues up and the title cards play.

The first area you actually play introduces some unique features that I really hope don't fall flat. There's a stealth mechanic where you can execute zombies from behind quietly with melee weapons and there's glass bottles you throw to distract some if there is too many to take out. Guns will ofcourse alert any surrounding zombies to your presence, though the only thing I've found so far have been sniper rifles.

If you have a melee weapon and a zombie is after you, you can either shove them away and run for it or beat them to death. Melee weapons aren't a one hit kill like in L4D either, it takes around 4 or 5 hits (I don't know if location damage matters, I've only ever aimed at heads).

Inbetween levels you pull out a map and choose where to go next. If you choose the highways, you use less fuel but your chance to find supplies is low and the chance to breakdown is high. If you take back roads it is the opposite, and you can also choose the regular streets which is a medium between the three. You are also building your group up which surprised me because the impression I got was it was just you and Merle, but thats not the case.

There is also this scavenging like system where you have to collect gasoline and it was hinted the game will end if you run out. You have a group of survivors you are building and you can send some out to go look for gas or do it yourself. The first tutorial level your friend joins your group and you 'find' a truck, so I'm guessing you'll find other vehicles that are faster and use less fuel but might breakdown easier.

Before you start a level, you choose what supplies you start with, what supplies your survivors get and what they should do and also if you want to heal them or not, and what supplies stay at your vehicle. Your survivors have a risk chance if you send them out and it depends on their personal traits, what weapons they get, and how many get sent out. You can send them to find gas, food, ammo, or stay at the vehicle. I'm guessing if they run out of health you lose them forever.

The game also goes into Daryl's backstory. I'm not going to spoil anything, but its cool they added in some insight for those who want to explore it. I don't know how far into it it goes later in the game, but it already started off with some interesting tidbits.

tl:dr

- This isn't just a straight up linear FPS

- Stealth mechanic with executions and distractions

- Choosing how to travel to the next area

- Building up a group of survivors instead of just you and Merle

- Goes into Daryl's backstory

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

That's a back of the box quote if I ever saw one

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SomeDeliCook

That's a back of the box quote if I ever saw one

Haha, yeah you're right.

I should add that the game still has a lot of jank to it. I haven't played enough to see how these systems fully flesh out, for instance if certain survivors will die at certain points no matter what.

The FOV is pretty crap, there is a ton of aliasing, and the graphics are a bit below average. Character models are laughable.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By jdh5153

I thought this game looked good. Can't wait to play it.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jdh5153 said:

Said the user who will forever be branded as a shill.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But he's our shill

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Sackmanjones

I watched that 8 minute gameplay trailer from yesterday. I actually really liked the intro. With the music slowly building up before cutting to credits was just like the show and throughout it till the title card was spot on for fans of the show. And that map stuff you said also seemed cool, but playing the game.....that like like a whole different story

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched that 8 minute gameplay trailer from yesterday. I actually really liked the intro. With the music slowly building up before cutting to credits was just like the show and throughout it till the title card was spot on for fans of the show. And that map stuff you said also seemed cool, but playing the game.....that like like a whole different story

Its a really slow paced game. Mostly melee stuff so far and the best melee weapon I have so far takes 3-4 hits to kill a walker. The levels themselves are pretty linear complete with invisible walls, but they also have a ton of areas to explore and you can backtrack if you think you missed stuff. You even get optional missions in levels like "find someone to trade food with" and stuff like that. Plus collectibles, because this is a video game.

Really the gameplay is about where I expected it to be, but its all unique stuff it tries to do and small touches like the intro that actually have me hooked. Pretty bummed you can't actually take survivors with you into levels though

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'll probably end up renting it. No way I'm paying $50 for it.

My biggest complaint with what I've seen are the Walkers animations. Like they do the same movements no matter how you hit them.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somedelicook: What if I'm not a fan of the TV show but still interested in a good zombie game? Would I enjoy it? Any creepy/scary parts?

cbarnes86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themangalist: I personally would imagine this game is true fan service, but I wouldn't know, seeing as I had my Game Q clear and apparently Gamefly stocked 5 copies... I definitely will be playing this in the near future though. Looks kinda neat, love the show, and can't be half as bad as Colonial Marines.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this game has surpassed the very low standards I had for it.

A ringing endorsement.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woah I didn't think this was a full priced game. I thought it was crappy ten dollar download.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ill redbox it tonight. Ask me anything later.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jdh5153 said:

It...doesn't look good. Nothing about it looks good. Don't give your hard-earned money for inferior products. There are other games out that aren't blatant cash grabs.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

So humorous Quick Look with special guest Garry Whitta I imagine?

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Quarters

I rented it tonight and played the first couple of levels so far. It's not terrible. Not great, but it could be worse. Surprisingly stealth based. Very focused on searching the environment and finding weapons/ammo/health. Survivor thing seems super weak so far. Story isn't much of anything at the moment other than "don't die". Graphics aren't abysmal. Maybe it'll pick up as I go on. Best part so far is their replication of the intro. It was a nice touch.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShaggE

I'm with you. This ain't half bad. It's definitely a low-budget title through and through, and the PC version needs some major patching (I'm here and posting this right now because a completely random crash kicked me out of the game), but I think it'd be a mistake to dismiss it based on the trailer. There's some really cool stuff going on in this.

Edit: Okay, watching that video below and playing a bit further into the game, maybe wait for it to drop in price. It really is fun when it works as intended, it's just that "working as intended" is a gamble with this game. There are some huge design flaws that I didn't notice at first.

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PolygonSlayer
    Loading Video...

Yeah... looks great... ¬__¬

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It borrows a crap ton from Zombiu

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Update after playing around 3 or 4 hours. It is very repetitive. The pacing is extremely slow, similar to Cryostasis, so I've found that I've been saying fuck it and using pistols and shotguns a lot more without caring a whole herd might hear it. Melee combat got very repetitive very quick, just shove (or don't) a zombie, then repeatedly keep hitting the attack button until they die. They won't fight back if you keep doing it.

I was grabbed by one and it entered this minigame where you have to aim the crosshair at its head and press attack. Once I did, I found that there was about 6 more surrounding me, and instead of swiping at me all at once, they waited their turn to initiate this grabbing minigame.

At one point I had a good vehicle, high inventory space and enough room for all the survivors I had. After I completed a mission, it forced me to take a new vehicle which made me dump a survivor. For what reason? Why couldn't I just keep my original vehicle? It let me do that before, it literally didn't explain why.

Once I got the crossbow the game started to freshen up again, but its already turning into a drag to play. I'm still surprised it isn't just a straight CoD style FPS though

Oh and the AI is really terrible. Knee high barriers stop zombies, who knew?

meaninoflife42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By meaninoflife42

I watched Greg Miller's livestream of this game yesterday. He kind of had the same feelings towards it, in that it wasn't as bad as he thought it was going to be. To me, it still looks bad.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#23  Edited By DarthOrange

I am interested in it. When it hits $20 I'll jump on it.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@jdh5153 said:

It...doesn't look good. Nothing about it looks good. Don't give your hard-earned money for inferior products. There are other games out that aren't blatant cash grabs.

don't ever bother with that guy, he just posts opposing positions because it's funny

qUaK3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it for a while (5 minutes). 3 words: do not buy.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Update after playing around 3 or 4 hours. It is very repetitive. The pacing is extremely slow, similar to Cryostasis, so I've found that I've been saying fuck it and using pistols and shotguns a lot more without caring a whole herd might hear it. Melee combat got very repetitive very quick, just shove (or don't) a zombie, then repeatedly keep hitting the attack button until they die. They won't fight back if you keep doing it.

I was grabbed by one and it entered this minigame where you have to aim the crosshair at its head and press attack. Once I did, I found that there was about 6 more surrounding me, and instead of swiping at me all at once, they waited their turn to initiate this grabbing minigame.

At one point I had a good vehicle, high inventory space and enough room for all the survivors I had. After I completed a mission, it forced me to take a new vehicle which made me dump a survivor. For what reason? Why couldn't I just keep my original vehicle? It let me do that before, it literally didn't explain why.

Once I got the crossbow the game started to freshen up again, but its already turning into a drag to play. I'm still surprised it isn't just a straight CoD style FPS though

Oh and the AI is really terrible. Knee high barriers stop zombies, who knew?

awww man you got me excited for a bit. Finally a REAL single player zombie survival game. Oh well. :(

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Can't wait until the Quick Look ^__^

9_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im about 2 hours in and this game is far better then Colonial Marines.Im playing the PC version,havent had a single crash,getting about 50-60fps.This game reminds of of their other game Ghostbusters.The character models are pretty much the same.I think the character models and graphics are fine,not every game has to be Crysis 3.Controls are fine,works with 360 controller.Gameplay also works.This game is just fun.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BisonHero

From the gameplay videos I've watched, it seems like this game is going for the same stuff as ZombiU (zombies take like 4-6 melee hits, you die easily, you can't handle more than 1 or 2 zombies at a time), except it does everything worse than ZombiU. The only thing going for it seems to the be the Walking Dead license. So if you want to play a subpar game that happens to share a name with a TV show you like, go right ahead.

It's too bad, but I'm sure the developer was given some ridiculously short deadline so that this game comes out while The Walking Dead is still hot.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like it could be a good bad game. Something one finds at the bottom of a bargain bin for 5$, plays and is oddly satisfied at how entertaining it's been - considering what it is, and where it came from.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

well, at least it isn't as bad as Fiddler's Green (yes, I actually bought it).......

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BisonHero

@seppli said:

Looks like it could be a good bad game. Something one finds at the bottom of a bargain bin for 5$, plays and is oddly satisfied at how entertaining it's been - considering what it is, and where it came from.

I think something like Alpha Protocol is more of a good bad game; the gameplay is bad, some of the missions glitch terribly, and some of the abilities are near useless. But if you squint, you can kind of see what they're going for, and a couple of the missions are genuinely awesome. And Steven Heck is worth the bargain bin price of admission alone.

Survival Instinct seems like average bad. It's not broken at every step of the way, but I'm really not seeing what redeeming or original feature it has that hasn't been done better by other zombie games (I guess the fuel thing and which road you take is kinda neat?).

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Hm, the mission select and scavenging sounds interesting.

ReCkLeSs_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

Loading Video...

This. is. amazing.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Seppli

@bisonhero said:

@seppli said:

I think something like Alpha Protocol is more of a good bad game; the gameplay is bad, some of the missions glitch terribly, and some of the abilities are near useless. But if you squint, you can kind of see what they're going for, and a couple of the missions are genuinely awesome. And Steven Heck is worth the bargain bin price of admission alone.

Survival Instinct seems like average bad. It's not broken at every step of the way, but I'm really not seeing what redeeming or original feature it has that hasn't been done better by other zombie games (I guess the fuel thing and which road you take is kinda neat?).

Only seen that youtube embed of the game, but it looks like it tries to capture the Survivalist aspect of Zombie Apocalypse somewhat - like it tries to be something along the lines of ZombiU in a slightly more open backwater town kinda environment.

It ain't DayZ, but survival in the Zombie Apocalypse seems like the kind of premise, that could allow for a bad game to be entertaining in a good way - at least to me.

PizzaSauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gamespot were doing a livestream of this yesterday in Twitch, and it looked okay I guess, not as terrible as I expected.

I urge you to play a little more, I watched the game for over 2 hours yesterday and little, if anything different happened from what you described in the first 20 minutes.

I'm kinda sold out on the whole franchise now. The comics were really good I thought. Given up with the tv show after season 2. Dunno why I don't like that show, it's right up my street, but it just feels kinda..... lame

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I do like the sounds when you shove a knife through a zombie head.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

So I am a few hours into the game. Ask me anything.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Err...I just beat it...so...questions I guess?

deadeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just played it for half an hour or so. Can't recommend it to anyone to be honest

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

awww man you got me excited for a bit. Finally a REAL single player zombie survival game. Oh well. :(

Yeah sorry if I got your hopes up, the game is still very much mediocre with a few redeeming qualities to it. I don't think the quicklook will even be that good because the pacing is just so slow.

Gamespot were doing a livestream of this yesterday in Twitch, and it looked okay I guess, not as terrible as I expected.

I urge you to play a little more, I watched the game for over 2 hours yesterday and little, if anything different happened from what you described in the first 20 minutes.

I'm kinda sold out on the whole franchise now. The comics were really good I thought. Given up with the tv show after season 2. Dunno why I don't like that show, it's right up my street, but it just feels kinda..... lame

I'd have to guess I'm about halfway through the game and it is very much exactly like the first 20 minutes, up until you get the crossbow. Being able to shoot every zombie without any of them hearing the shot, instantly recovering your arrows if you are close enough, and only needing to shoot each one once if you get a headshot makes the game move a lot quicker. The melee was really dragging on, I wish it was something similar to Condemned.

@deadeyes said:

I just played it for half an hour or so. Can't recommend it to anyone to be honest

When it gets down to the 5 or 10 dollar mark, which shouldn't take more than a year, I'll definitely tell people to at least check it out. At 50 bones, no way.

@theht said:

Hm, the mission select and scavenging sounds interesting.

It's a cool concept at first, but they are both pretty shallow. Sometimes you'll choose between two towns (missions basically) and you'll want to choose according to how much fuel you have left. I've only been forced to take the highways once because of low fuel. The funny part is, taking back roads gives you more chances to enter a little scavenge mission on the way to the next town, but if you take the highways you are guaranteed to breakdown and I've found you get just as much items to find when you play a breakdown mission as when you play a scavenge mission. So you might as well take the highways because you'll get both breakdown and scavenge missions.

Both missions will quickly repeat too, I've played the same scavenge mission set in an alleyway three times so far.

@polygonslayer said:

This. is. amazing.

The AI is just as terrible as it's shown here, but I haven't had quite as many glitches, not that I've noticed anyway.

There was one part where I was inside of this diner and there was maybe 7 walkers in it chasing me, after I killed 5 and backpedaled to the backdoor, the 2 that were left just disappeared from right in front of me. Saved me the time from having to kill them plus my health was low.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdh5153 said:

This is why we can't have nice things.

ReCkLeSs_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found this to be hilarious:

No Caption Provided

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By flaminghobo

From what I've read, I understand that it's similar to Aliens: Colonial Marines (i.e. cool ideas buried beneath a rushed product.) That in itself is largely surprising to me since I thought the game would pretty much be the very definition of bland or straight up garbage.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might pay $30. Looks on par with Deadly Premonition. Something I still need to S-rank.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#46  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I might pay $30. Looks on par with Deadly Premonition. Something I still need to S-rank.

That is a massive insult to Deadly Premonition. DP is a game with heart made by a passionate team whose bizarre singular vision I found very funny. The Walking Dead just looks like it was thrown together and that no one cared about it.

SnakeLinkSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SnakeLinkSonic

The Quick Look didn't make it to look like the terrible mess I'd have assumed. I wouldn't buy it, but it didn't look like something that's offensively bad either.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It cant be that bad can it?

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@immortalsaiyan said:

@lind_l_taylor said:

That is a massive insult to Deadly Premonition. DP is a game with heart made by a passionate team whose bizarre singular vision I found very funny. The Walking Dead just looks like it was thrown together and that no one cared about it.

I still dont believe Deadly Premonition was intended to be terrible

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lind_l_taylor said:

yeah i would back you up on that, what turned DP around was how wacky and on the nose the story was for what it was trying to do. The game play was the weakest part of that game. Walking dead seems below average on all fronts. Wait a few months it will be in the bargain bins in time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.