That Walking Dead: Survival Instinct Trailer? Turns Out it's a Fan Edit...of Actual In-Game Footage

• 97 results
Posted by Alex (2294 posts) -
STOP FILMING ME I'M NOT READY

Earlier today, the Internet became briefly abuzz with displeasure at the sight of a new trailer for Activision's The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct, a first-person shooter based on the AMC TV series. Mainly, this displeasure was centered around the fact that it was a very, very bad trailer. Abysmal, even. The game appeared to be in a very early state, with missing sound effects, plasticky looking zombies, janky animations, and an editing process that appeared to have been at best, rushed.

Now we know why that last thing was the case, at least. PR representatives working on the game confirmed to us tonight that the trailer itself was not edited by anyone at Activision or its agencies, but rather, the work of some overzealous fan.

"That trailer that’s going around on ‘TWDSurvivalInstinct’ channel isn’t official," the rep told us, "It is a fan edit. It looks like they pulled gameplay from the first reveal which was on IGN’s Up at Noon last week."

Indeed, the footage shown in the trailer was clearly taken from the above linked interview, where snippets of the game were shown. That footage was remarked as being from an in-development build, though exactly how far along it was wasn't made clear.

I'll admit that I'm somewhat conflicted as to how to feel about any of this. For one, apologies from me for buying into this. We were hardly the only site to fall for the fan edit, but that's no excuse. We got duped...sort of.

See, that's the thing. Sure, the shoddy editing is explained away, but I don't think that was exactly anyone's issue with the game as shown. It was more that the game looked so far from ready for prime time that showing it in such a state appeared a strange, perhaps ill-considered decision. As of right now, Survival Instinct doesn't have a set release date outside of the greater scope of "2013." So, hey, let's just hope that release date doesn't turn out to be something really crazy, like, say, the March mid-season return of the TV series. There's no way it'll be ready by then, right?

Here's the video, if you still have any interest in watching it.

#1 Posted by Alex (2294 posts) -
STOP FILMING ME I'M NOT READY

Earlier today, the Internet became briefly abuzz with displeasure at the sight of a new trailer for Activision's The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct, a first-person shooter based on the AMC TV series. Mainly, this displeasure was centered around the fact that it was a very, very bad trailer. Abysmal, even. The game appeared to be in a very early state, with missing sound effects, plasticky looking zombies, janky animations, and an editing process that appeared to have been at best, rushed.

Now we know why that last thing was the case, at least. PR representatives working on the game confirmed to us tonight that the trailer itself was not edited by anyone at Activision or its agencies, but rather, the work of some overzealous fan.

"That trailer that’s going around on ‘TWDSurvivalInstinct’ channel isn’t official," the rep told us, "It is a fan edit. It looks like they pulled gameplay from the first reveal which was on IGN’s Up at Noon last week."

Indeed, the footage shown in the trailer was clearly taken from the above linked interview, where snippets of the game were shown. That footage was remarked as being from an in-development build, though exactly how far along it was wasn't made clear.

I'll admit that I'm somewhat conflicted as to how to feel about any of this. For one, apologies from me for buying into this. We were hardly the only site to fall for the fan edit, but that's no excuse. We got duped...sort of.

See, that's the thing. Sure, the shoddy editing is explained away, but I don't think that was exactly anyone's issue with the game as shown. It was more that the game looked so far from ready for prime time that showing it in such a state appeared a strange, perhaps ill-considered decision. As of right now, Survival Instinct doesn't have a set release date outside of the greater scope of "2013." So, hey, let's just hope that release date doesn't turn out to be something really crazy, like, say, the March mid-season return of the TV series. There's no way it'll be ready by then, right?

Here's the video, if you still have any interest in watching it.

#3 Posted by Sgtpierceface (632 posts) -

That's a relief, but I'm still not going to get my hopes too high.

#4 Posted by bkbroiler (1636 posts) -

Okay. Well thank explains why the trailer itself was made so poorly. That was baffling.

#5 Posted by slyspider (1285 posts) -

Still looks like it uses the Warz engine to me... which is some other game's engine... THE PLOT THICKENS

#6 Posted by tankintheair315 (349 posts) -

Even if its not a trailer, its game footage. And that footage looks like garbage.

#7 Posted by RobertOrri (1139 posts) -

Good lord, that IGN host is so annoying.

#8 Posted by RecSpec (3852 posts) -

Even if it wasn't an official trailer, that gameplay was still officially released, and the game still looks godawful. 

#9 Posted by Foggen (865 posts) -

The news was that the game looks like hot garbage, and that is no less true now.

#11 Posted by WiqidBritt (578 posts) -

should the game really be considered a first person 'shooter'? there was very little shooting based on what the video shows, and I feel the game wouldn't feel like "The Walking Dead" if you were able to use guns often.

#12 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

Two things. 
1. I hope all the stuff that was shown was from a much earlier unpolished build, kind of like the leaked Duke Nukem Forever stuff that came out showing gameplay with fake sounds added in. 
2. This better not be a full price product. Charging 5 bucks an episode for the Telltale game and charging 60 bucks for an FPS cash-in is very, very wrong

#13 Posted by SlashDance (1828 posts) -

Good editing will not make this look good.

#14 Posted by xMEGADETHxSLY (446 posts) -

I think this is the best looking game this generation, the models looks bar none. The gameplay looks dynamic and revolutionary.

#15 Posted by fargofallout (296 posts) -

I think saying an "overzealous fan" did this is sort of silly, because, really, does this game that is going to suck (let's be honest here) have any fans? How can someone be a fan of an unreleased game? What person in their right mind would be a "fan" of an Activision-published licensed zombie FPS? Because - let's face it - no game will receive more care, funding, and marketing than an Activision-published licensed zombie FPS that doesn't have anything to do with Call of Duty.

#16 Posted by Alex (2294 posts) -

@Fobwashed: YouTube channel. I'll admit freely I did not research this one as vigorously as I normally would, mostly because quite a few other sites had it up already. Hence why I apologized in the story for getting duped. I shoulda been more thorough.

#17 Posted by Alex (2294 posts) -

@fargofallout: Well, whoever did it also created a fake official youtube channel and a fake Facebook marketing page, so if not a fan, then certainly an overzealous...something?

#18 Posted by wsowen02 (321 posts) -

How does this game have 'fans'?

#19 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2511 posts) -

@fargofallout said:

How can someone be a fan of an unreleased game?

Couldn't they just be a fan of The Walking Dead in general?

#20 Posted by dancingpolkabear (212 posts) -

@RobertOrri said:

Good lord, that IGN host is so annoying.

He's been on the bombcast before

#21 Posted by natetodamax (19212 posts) -
@Vigorousjammer

@fargofallout said:

How can someone be a fan of an unreleased game?

Couldn't they just be a fan of The Walking Dead in general?

It could also just be someone trying some video editing. Who knows!
#22 Posted by Shivoa (634 posts) -

I'm really glad this turned out the be a fake. The alternative was too depressing.

#23 Posted by Pudge (900 posts) -

Looks like their Twitter account got "hacked" if you know what I mean.

#24 Posted by Brendan (7844 posts) -

For a bunch of users that have seen a lot of content on the development of games at this point, I'm saddened by the harsh attitude towards the footage shown. I thought it was common knowledge in these parts that games don't really come together until the end of the development cycle, and with clearly so much left to do it's unfair to be so critical so early.

#25 Posted by DarthOrange (3867 posts) -

This is going to be downloadable right?

#26 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Unreleased game looks rough. More at 11.

#27 Posted by ILikePopCans (760 posts) -

@Brendan said:

For a bunch of users that have seen a lot of content on the development of games at this point, I'm saddened by the harsh attitude towards the footage shown. I thought it was common knowledge in these parts that games don't really come together until the end of the development cycle, and with clearly so much left to do it's unfair to be so critical so early.

I concur

#28 Posted by Lurkero (406 posts) -

Okay, that explains the unimpressive trailer edit, but it does not explain the bad gameplay. If the developer felt comfortable enough to show that then it means they must be far enough in development that the game will pretty much be like what was shown.

#29 Posted by Deusoma (3018 posts) -

Now I feel kinda bad for snarking at it in the comments.

#30 Posted by KevinK (198 posts) -

@Deusoma said:

Now I feel kinda bad for snarking at it in the comments.

Don't be. This game will suck regardless.

#31 Posted by White (1380 posts) -

Needs more Carley.

#32 Edited by Pudge (900 posts) -

@Brendan said:

I'm sorry, but this trailer is special. When I LITERALLY can't tell the difference between your 2013 Walking Dead game and an HD Remake of 2005's abysmal Road to Fiddler's Green, there are problems that cannot be fixed with more development time.

Also, they DID release this footage to the general public, just on an IGN show, so they were inviting all this criticism. If the game looks that shitty, don't show it off. Even if they felt they needed to get ahead of the Telltale Walking Dead GOTY Hype Train, this was not the right course of action to take.

#33 Posted by KevinK (198 posts) -

@fargofallout said:

I think saying an "overzealous fan" did this is sort of silly, because, really, does this game that is going to suck (let's be honest here) have any fans? How can someone be a fan of an unreleased game? What person in their right mind would be a "fan" of an Activision-published licensed zombie FPS? Because - let's face it - no game will receive more care, funding, and marketing than an Activision-published licensed zombie FPS that doesn't have anything to do with Call of Duty.

Plenty of people are fans of games that haven't come out yet. Excited for BioShock Infinite or Last of Us? Then you're a fan of an unreleased game. I'm purely using the term fan instead of "anticipator" or "anticipatee". Has in, someone who anticipates something.

Considering all the weird nonsense that has gone on with Resident Evil 1.5 over the years and people pretending to have copies of the game to the point of releasing fake screenshots and trailers, then I could definitely see somebody faking a TWD trailer. Hell, YouTube is full of fake trailers for Grand Theft Auto V and "Mass Effect 4" and "Halo 5".

#34 Posted by stryker1121 (1526 posts) -

They can raise Stanley Kubrick from the dead and that trailer won't look good. If it's an early build that looks that bad, why release any footage at all at this point?

#35 Posted by radioactivez0r (862 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook: This is Activision, the publisher who was first to charge $60 for a PC game and put out a Call of Duty game on Vita that was priced $10 more than any other Vita game.

#36 Posted by TheHT (11521 posts) -

Well you got duped into believe it's official, but you weren't duped into thinking the game itself (at least in it's current state) looks like hot doodie.

#37 Posted by mellotronrules (1223 posts) -

will certainly keep an open mind- but it really doesn't change the fact that this game will have a helluva lot to prove come release time. i'm full-up on first-person zombie shooters.

#38 Posted by Fobwashed (2119 posts) -

@Alex said:

@Fobwashed: YouTube channel. I'll admit freely I did not research this one as vigorously as I normally would, mostly because quite a few other sites had it up already. Hence why I apologized in the story for getting duped. I shoulda been more thorough.

Hey Alex, I went ahead and deleted my comment after reading the PAR apology and how deep this "trailer" got its hooks in. Now I'm more curious as to whether or not the facebook site that's linked to the youtube page is legitimate. Considering that Activision’s own social media manager Dan Amrich posted the thing on his blog thinking it was real, I'm hard pressed to have any sort of hard feelings at all on your source/fact checking on this one =) Keep up the good fight!

#39 Posted by scottygrayskull (456 posts) -

Eh, reminded the world it exists. Given how much I loved the Telltale game I'll at least pay attention to impressions of this.

#40 Posted by bvilleneuve (265 posts) -

@Brendan said:

There's a pretty big difference between "these graphics look a little bit early" and "this game looks super boring." That Walking Dead footage looks dull, and no advanced shaders and lighting would change that. Like I said in the comments on the video, I feel really bad for the team making that game.

#41 Posted by Draxyle (1874 posts) -

@ILikePopCans said:

@Brendan said:

I concur

Normally I would totally agree, but this is Activision with a licensed title. I'd love to be surprised by them, but they have one of the worst track records in this department. People were ready to tear this game apart before we saw a single screenshot for.. maybe not a good reason, but an understandable reason.

#42 Posted by l3illyl3ob (284 posts) -

Unofficial or not, the game looks like crap right now. From the ridiculously bad graphics to the completely uninspired gameplay, nothing about that video was encouraging.

#43 Edited by AngriGhandi (784 posts) -

To be honest, now that I know it was a fake trailer made of pre-release footage, I have a slightly-higher-than-expected opinion of the things I saw.

The way the zombies seemed to quickly swarm after you, and the way that you clearly had no recourse to deal with all of them other than making a hole in the crowd and trying to push through before it's too late seemed much more true to the style of zombie movies and fiction-- or even the opening of Resident Evil 2-- than something like Dead Island, Dead Rising, or Left 4 Dead, which all boil down to you killing everything in sight.

Not necessarily saying it looked good! But it had that going for it, which would seem to speak well to what they're trying to accomplish.

#44 Posted by Zuldim (290 posts) -

I don't want to be too controversial, but I don't think this game is going to be very good at all.

#45 Posted by Shaanyboi (1321 posts) -

Isn't the first game to look like dog shit early in the dev cycle. Not to say I have any hope or interest in it.

#46 Posted by Raven10 (1850 posts) -

I'll agree with Alex and others that the trailer may not have been official but that gameplay was and Activision should know better than to show off a game in that state.

#47 Posted by Jeric (146 posts) -

That's a relief - but I'm still not holding my breath for this game.

#48 Posted by granderojo (1792 posts) -

I said it in the trailer, I'll say it here. Norman Reedus was fucking PUMPED by this trailer so it's got at least one sale right there.

#49 Posted by Legion_ (1413 posts) -

I'm pretty hyped for this game. Hate the subtitle though. Sounds so... hokey.

#50 Posted by kwang2000 (51 posts) -

Uh didn't they teach you to check sources in journalism school?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.