Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Walking Dead

Game » consists of 41 releases. Released Nov 21, 2012

Presenting an original story in the same franchise as the comic book series of the same name, The Walking Dead is a five-part adventure game from Telltale that follows the story of a convicted murderer, his guardianship over a young girl, and his co-operation with a roaming group of survivors in a zombie apocalypse.

Best system to play all episodes on

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By MocBucket62

Hey I need some suggestions as to what would be the best way to play all five episodes of the Walking Dead. I really want to get these episodes now but I don't know which system I should use to play all the episodes.  
    Should I just go with the IPhone/IPad option and take the easy way out to get these episodes, or should I wait until the retail version of all episodes come out on December 11? I have a PS3, and I would love to play TWD on that system, but I don't know if I want to spend $30 for these episodes or just go the cheaper way and get them on an IOS system. Heck I may get a MAC version if its cheaper.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By DarthOrange

I'm playing it on the PS3 and it has some technical issues. I assume those issues are present everywhere (but have no way of knowing). I recommend you go with the cheapest version unless you care about trophies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

If it's on sale on Steam, get it for PC. If the KBM isn't for you, connect a controller.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By colourful_hippie

PC. You can get it for even cheaper in the upcoming Steam sale.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By gaminghooligan

I got it on xbox, but I'd recommend the PC, looks better and most likely runs smoother. If you want to connect a controller, might want to look into the problem Jeff was talking about on the bombcast.

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By bushpusherr

I played it on the PC with no problems. Seems pretty common to hear people having (sometimes significant) technical issues on both of the console versions.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Hunter5024

I'm playing it on ps3 and that seems like a solid choice. The art style is pretty stylized so I don't think you're going to get much more out of it from a pc, and my friend whose playing it on the pc keeps complaining about technical issues which I haven't run into. Also when I downloaded it on psn it only cost 20 dollars, but maybe that was a sale or something.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Captain_Insano

I played it on PC. This game is not one that really necessitates a controller so I think it is the way to go. I had a few technical hitches with cutscenes which would occasionally get quite laggy. I don't know if it was a video card issue or just the game. Still, headphones on close to the screen was a great experience.

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Xeirus

Everything I have heard is PC, I played it on PC and never had an issue

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By nightriff

No problems with PS3 so I recommend that.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Sackmanjones

PC is obviously the first choices. I played it on PS3 because that was cheapest (I think it added up to you getting an episode free) and it had some issues for sure but it was playable. I think I heard the Xbox version is the worst between those 3 but I cannot confirm it. And if you have no other option you can always go the IOS route. 

You don't have to buy the box set, I think its still up on PSN for 19.99.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I had some frequent hitching up early in the game on the PC version but that went away relatively painlessly and I didn't see it again. The game looked fine and my saves went from episode to episode without issue, and combine that with the steam sale, I have to recommend that version. Although I do remember reading that the boxed version comes with issues of the comic so keep that in mind before making a decision.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By colourful_hippie

@gaminghooligan said:

I got it on xbox, but I'd recommend the PC, looks better and most likely runs smoother. If you want to connect a controller, might want to look into the problem Jeff was talking about on the bombcast.

I had that issue too and it's a unique one for Windows 8 users only. There's a .dll file out there now (just search the TWD Steam forums which is where I got it) and it fixed my controller problems.

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kermoosh

i played it on my macbook pro and i had game breaking issues at times. i was still able to play through it but there were many times i died due to bad loading screens and the mouse cursor would barely respond. DO NOT GET ON MAC, it's still playable but i'm probably gonna buy it again for another console later

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If those are your options go with the PS3 version.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By RobotHamster

I played it on the PC and had an issue where episode 3 would read the save files from the wrong folder so I would have to move the prefs file over, also a few scenes would get laggy. But I seem to be in the minority so I'd still recommend the PC version especially since I got it for 50% off during the autumn sale.

NeVeRMoRe666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NeVeRMoRe666

I picked it up for the Mac/Steam because it was $12.99. Haven't had any issues with it yet but I may pick it up again for the PS3 as my buddies wanted to play through it together.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By TheHT

I played the demo on the PS3 and thought I'd just get it on the PC during a steam sale, but I felt some of the quick time events would be too easy with a mouse and that fumbling with the thumbstick would be more enjoyable. So I got it all on the PS3.

That said, you could always just hook up a controller to your PC...

Well I did hear some talk of a nasty PC bug where your save is fucked up, so maybe not that version until they fix it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6510b42705eab
    deactivated-6510b42705eab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I've been playing it on the PS3 and have experienced a few really annoying technical issues. I would assume that the PC version is the way to go with this game.

CLinendoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20  Edited By CLinendoll

@MocBucket62: totally had a WTF moment when i saw my avatar at the bottom of the page, knowing i hadnt started any threads lately!

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Andorski

Get it on Steam when it goes on sale again (e.g. the WInter Sale at the end of December). Should go for at least 50% off next time around, if not 75%.

Also... the PC version can be played with a controller?! I did not see this option in the menu, and after playing Back to the Future thought that TellTale games on the PC were mouse only.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.