Bombcast and The Walking Dead

#1 Edited by envox (5 posts) -

After listening to the game of the year day1-4 podcasts, I hear mentioned often how broken the Walking Dead is.

I played the complete PC version recently without issue and feel maybe they should check it out before slaying the game. I'm really pleased I did hold off. My experience with TWD was phenomenal. The issues would've indeed tainted the experience. Also had it playing 2160p

I've watched xbox 360 playthroughs on youtube and my god, the skipping and bugs are so bad in a game like this. Sorry those people had to play it in such a state.

This game is easily one of the best games I've played in years and hope it gets its due for the right reasons.

What is surprising is how it took a bunch of indie guys to figure this simple formula out. No-one comes close to doing this in the last 7 years. I feel its a turning point in video game story, shows how games can be powerful, more powerful than films, never have I been moved by a film like this game. Games have an opportunity to be better.

PS, this game is on Steam sale again for £10

#2 Posted by zombie2011 (5027 posts) -

They all played it on PC, and there are game breaking save issues on the PC, just because you didn't have any doesn't mean they don't exist.

#3 Posted by mercutio123 (472 posts) -

I get the impression it's more Brad who immediately jumps at games being 'broken'. Especially when he compares the PC experience to the consoles. tends to be Patrick who reasons about the consoles. Having not played it yet, may pick up this deal

#4 Posted by Vamino (215 posts) -

The PC game still suffers from the save bug, and it's kind of insane that that wasn't fixed up to the release of episode 5 (maybe it is now, but I doubt it). It wasn't so bad, with some searching around you can find fixes for it. Of course, if you get it on console you're shit out of luck.

I didn't play any of the episodes until ep 5 was about a week away from releasing. Played one episode a night. I still ended up having that save bug twice in episode 3 and 5, so I had to fiddle with files to get my choices back the way they were. For a game where that's THE hook, that's pretty huge.

#5 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

I never had any issues on the 360. The save bug was mostly on PC.

#6 Posted by envox (5 posts) -

Well most horrifying is the stuttering on 360, audio glitches. Not really on about a save bug that may or may not happen. You can restore save files and back up easily if need be on PC.

Like Vamino says, if true it was fixed by ep 5, not sure but you can get the full version now and enjoy so I hope they don't bang on it all the way through the podcast.

#7 Posted by fox01313 (5088 posts) -

One thing to remember esp. with Ryan was that he was playing the episodes shortly before they came out so if there were any patches, some of the GB crew might have missed them on PC & hard to tell how timely the patches are going on the PS3/360.

#8 Posted by Spaceyoghurt (162 posts) -

@envox said:

I've watched xbox 360 playthroughs on youtube and my god, the skipping and bugs are so bad in a game like this. Sorry those people had to play it in such a state.

To be honest, my playthrough with The Walking Dead on 360 was great. Other than some stuttering and some weird stuff where the achievements didn't unlock, it was a pretty smooth run technical wise. It sure as hell looks better on the PC though, but expecting something other than that is just ridiculous. :)

#9 Posted by psylah (2182 posts) -

No issues on the PS3, except for some bad lighting in ep1, but I think that's just their game engine.

#10 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -

My saves mysteriously disappeared on two occasions: As I was starting Episode 3, and as I was starting Episode 5. Each time, I had to completely replay the entire game up to that point.

I got really pissed and didn't play for like a week each time. Then I sat down and plowed through them as fast as I could, keeping my original decisions.

TWD remains my GOTY, but god-damn, they need to pay more attention to the bugs present in the game. Give your programmers more coffee, Telltale! :V

#11 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -

@Sticky_Pennies said:

My saves mysteriously disappeared on two occasions: As I was starting Episode 3, and as I was starting Episode 5. Each time, I had to completely replay the entire game up to that point.

I got really pissed and didn't play for like a week each time. Then I sat down and plowed through them as fast as I could, keeping my original decisions.

TWD remains my GOTY, but god-damn, they need to pay more attention to the bugs present in the game. Give your programmers more coffee, Telltale! :V

It's not the programmers. It's probably not QA, either. It's the management pushing to release a product with a rather severe (and apparently wide-spread) flaw.

#12 Posted by dr_mantas (2013 posts) -

I had the save game bug on PC. It was really weird - showing me every time I turned on the game that I haven't played past the first episode, like my saves were gone. But when I went to the appropriate episode, it started and loaded the correct saves. And it would show the right episodes have been installed, but not the right saved games.

Somehow when I quit to the main menu from the game, it would show all the right saved games, but show only the first episode as installed - and the rest as coming soon, so I couldn't access then. I wanted to play, I had to quit the game and start again.

That was super annoying, but I played through all the episodes just the same.

The biggest, most annoying part was, however, that the stats screen - the one that showed all the decisions people have made in comparison to you, at the end of the episode - was broken somehow, so I couldn't see how my decisions compared until they would put out their little summary videos. That was a freaking bummer.

I wonder if they've fixed it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.