Did anyone else have their decisions imported incorrectly?

#1 Posted by stoydell (58 posts) -

First of all, Episode One spoilers. At the end of Episode One on my first save file, I saved Carley for one reason or another. I just started playing Episode 2 and Doug is alive, with the Previously on The Walking Dead cutscene showing Carley's death when it did not happen in my old save file. Did anyone else have this happen to them? I'm playing on PC for the record.

#2 Edited by ElectricBoogaloo (345 posts) -

Just started playing and I have the exact same issue as you. I kept Carley alive and yet Doug is alive here, despite the stats saying otherwise. And since starting episode two all of my other save games have disappeared so there's no way of going back.

This is extremely frustrating considering how much of an impact your choices can have across all five epsidoes, and in only the second episode a pretty major choice has been altered. How do I know the rest of my choices aren't the same?

I'm playing on PC as well.

#3 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

Ahh bummer just finished playing through the first episode which was excellent btw. I guess I will hold off on the second one until they patch this.

#4 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3500 posts) -

Yeah it's bugged for me. That, along with my wired 360 controller not working for the game anymore, is why I'm putting it on the back-burner.

#5 Posted by avidwriter (667 posts) -

This is why I'm waiting for all 5 episodes to be done before I'll buy and play any of them.

#6 Posted by stoydell (58 posts) -

It's a shame, because the episode is excellent (I just decided to go with it despite the fact that my choices were botched) and this is gonna put a lot of PC users off for pretty unfortunate reasons.

#7 Posted by warxsnake (2626 posts) -

total fucking fail for EP2. Major decisions reversed. How did they not test the most core functionality of the game? 

#8 Posted by CommanderZx2 (134 posts) -

It works perfectly fine for me, all my decisions remained did you remember to load your previous save game before starting episode 2?

#9 Posted by _Chad (957 posts) -

My decisions were how I made them. Did anyone do two playthroughs? If so maybe you loaded the wrong save.

#10 Posted by ElectricBoogaloo (345 posts) -

@ChadMasterFlash: Loaded the right one. You can even look at your stats for episode one where it clearly states which choices you made.

It's a common issue as evidenced by the four page thread on the Telltale forums. Telltale are currently trying to figure out what's going wrong so hopefully a fix is imminent.

#11 Posted by Funzzo (823 posts) -

Everything worked fine for me. I'm playing on PC.

#12 Posted by killacam (1283 posts) -

hey, i remember this happening in ME3. much much worse when 80 hours of relating with tali (and much less with kasumi) go down the drain.

#13 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2661 posts) -

Kenny accused me of not helping Duck back at the pharmacy, which was incorrect. Other than that everything seems fine.

#14 Posted by Sek0n (24 posts) -
#15 Posted by warxsnake (2626 posts) -

So is there a fix for this? Or do we just wait for a patch? 

#16 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3667 posts) -

Guess I lucked out.

#17 Posted by guiseppe (2833 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

Kenny accused me of not helping Duck back at the pharmacy, which was incorrect. Other than that everything seems fine.

Same here. He's all pissed at me.

#18 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

@guiseppe said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

Same here. He's all pissed at me.

If you tried to mediate between the two, Kenny will still be pissed off at you for not having his back 100%. I get that a lot from his character - you're either with him or against him.

#19 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1619 posts) -

Man, that's super insane to have bugs like that with what is a huge part of your game. Seems I dodged a bullet. I started playing this morning (playing the PSN version, for what it's worth) and had made the choice to let Carley die, and everything seems on point (so far, at least).

Hopefully Telltale fixes this ASAP.

#20 Posted by stoydell (58 posts) -

I did play through twice and I'm positive I loaded the proper save file (since they were separated by two months). I haven't gone back in to see if anything has changed, but my statistics screen also fucked up in both episodes. It simply said something like "Episode _: Decision 1: 50% of players agreed, 50% did not agree" and so on. Also, whenever I quit out of the save file that was messed up, on the main screen it would show me that my save file had been deleted and that Episode Two wasn't even out. So many strange technical things wrong with this episode, along with the poor frame rate much of the time.

#21 Posted by Rasmoss (401 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

This happened to me too.

#22 Posted by Irvandus (2643 posts) -

I lucked out, no problems. Playing on PC. Well worth the wait.

#23 Posted by ElectricBoogaloo (345 posts) -

There's a fix that worked for me and a few others on the Telltale forums. This has been extremely frustrating but the chapter is worth the wait.

The game stores a "prefs.prop" in two places. One in:
C:\Users\___\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
And the other in:
D:\STEAM\steamapps\common\the walking dead\Pack\default
Or if you don't have the Steam version, its somewhere in your game DIR.
Do backups before overwriting anything.
Copy the prefs.prop file from your game's DIR folders, and overwrite it in your Documents\TTG\TWD folder
Go in game and load the save game with your finished EP1. Switch to EP2 in the chapter select and run it.
#24 Posted by Sek0n (24 posts) -

@ElectricBoogaloo said:

There's a fix that worked for me and a few others on the Telltale forums. This has been extremely frustrating but the chapter is worth the wait.

The game stores a "prefs.prop" in two places. One in:
C:\Users\___\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
And the other in:
D:\STEAM\steamapps\common\the walking dead\Pack\default
Or if you don't have the Steam version, its somewhere in your game DIR.
Do backups before overwriting anything.
Copy the prefs.prop file from your game's DIR folders, and overwrite it in your Documents\TTG\TWD folder
Go in game and load the save game with your finished EP1. Switch to EP2 in the chapter select and run it.

Yup, thats the same one that worked for me. Was just about to post it. :P

(Note: the second one for most people, will most likely be in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\the walking dead\Pack\default" (without the (x86) if on 32bit systems) instead of the D drive like the original person showed in fix.)

#25 Posted by deano546 (180 posts) -

All my decisions were basically carried over as the opposite of what I made (every decision, including who I saved) it sucks.

#26 Posted by Daveyo520 (6597 posts) -

Mine messed up a bit too. Kenny for some reason thought I wanted to kill his son but and not side with him. I have been thinking of playing both episodes over again but i like where I am in two.

#27 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Nope, all mine were imported correctly.

#28 Posted by Choffy (432 posts) -

Can anyone explain the fix in layman's terms for me for OS X? I wouldn't know how to fix this in Windows, let alone a Mac.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

#29 Posted by deano546 (180 posts) -

so this still hasn't been fixed? Thats kinda shitty.

#30 Posted by mistereccles (1 posts) -

I have steam pc version and had same issue. I have found the solution:

1. After you choose tyo save eith Doug or Carly ALT-TAB and navigate to Documents folder where you will find 'pref.prop' file.

2. Copy this to desktop.

3. end episode 1 and highlight ep2 before starting.

4. ALT-TAB again and again navigate to documents folder. Copy the desktop file and replace the documents file with this.Bingo! you're good to go. Works every time. For some reason the pref.prop file is either overwritten or corrupted when you finish ep1 and you must replace the old saved file. It is not a save game issue, it's the pref.prop that is the issue. Similar to Machinarium save issue for those that know it. Hope this helps

#31 Posted by Xymox (2025 posts) -

In the way one of the scenes was presented it sounded like I sided with the guy who thought duck was bitten which seems to be a common issue. There was also some odd stuff about food-girl thanking me for always having her back or whatever she said, which is something I only did once, and that was at the end of ep 2, after whatever events she was referring to.

#32 Posted by AndrewB (7190 posts) -

I noticed that this happened to me on my second playthrough (I'm pretty much playing the game for someone else and using their decisions). Was pretty obvious when this time Carly was the one alive when I chose Doug. Makes me wonder if my first save was marred and I just didn't realize it at the time.

Kinda a bummer that they still haven't fixed it, what with this being a game about decisions. The manual fix is simple for someone who knows anything about computers, but if they didn't...

#33 Edited by samhead5 (46 posts) -

Bought all 5 episodes at once after they were all out and this is still an issue. Is it just that one decision reversed or a few of them?

Any fix for OSX?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.