Duck is the worst, but... (spoilers for ep. 1)

#1 Posted by buttle826 (124 posts) -

I just finished episode 1, and Duck is worst. His voice is like nails on a chalk board, and he's entirely useless (not to mention a huge liability).

However, whenever I go back over the situation in my head, I always make the same decision. I could never save a young, fully grown adult over a young boy, despite the fact that the former has already proven himself to be friendly and useful, and the latter equates roughly to 100 lb. bag of shit that talks.

The interesting thing is, I would never have bothered mentioning it, except that this is the only decision that I was 100% positive about in the entire episode. Deciding to give Irene the gun was one of the most difficult decisions I've had to make in a video game, and I still can't decide whether choosing Carley over Doug was the right choice.

How has everyone else's experience been? Are you finding yourself second guessing all of your choices? Or are you positive that every decision you made was the best possible decision given the circumstances?

#2 Edited by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

I'm pretty sure Kenny said something about him being basically invulnerable or tough or something in the beginning and really took that statement on face value. Now I won't try to save him anymore.

#3 Posted by jillsandwich (760 posts) -

I saved both Duck and Carley.

Saving Carley may have been a bad idea, but she did save me in ep. 2.

#4 Posted by Redbullet685 (6090 posts) -

@jillsandwich said:

I saved both Duck and Carley.

Saving Carley may have been a bad idea, but she did save me in ep. 2.

Doug saves you in episode 2 also. Just with a laser pointer, and not a pistol.

And yeah, Duck is the worst.

#5 Posted by Grillbar (1914 posts) -

if your gonna be all spoiler about it no matter what you choose duck will survive and the other guy that i cant remember the name of right now will still die in the end its all about if kenny is going to like you or not. but yes duck can be annoying especially when he is talking to clementine in the motel where the same thing looks constantly about something he saw on tv urgh, kinda wanna tell the family to go on there own way. also saved carly and she came in hand in ep 2 but i really wanna play it all with the opposet choices when im done with all the eps.

#6 Posted by Grillbar (1914 posts) -

@MistaSparkle said:

I'm pretty sure Kenny said something about him being basically invulnerable or tough or something in the beginning and really took that statement on face value. Now I won't try to save him anymore.

what he was talking about was the nothing affects him he was either really brave or stupid. he was talking about the hole situation and how "duck" diddent get bothered by the living strolling around eating everyone. my bet is that he is really stupid

#7 Posted by MEATBALL (3507 posts) -

Duck's just a dumb kid, the amount of hate he gets seems just really foreign to me.

#8 Posted by Zenogiasu (192 posts) -

@MEATBALL said:

Duck's just a dumb kid, the amount of hate he gets seems just really foreign to me.

Yeah, I'd have to agree. He's just a kid. I can't blame him for being annoying sometimes. After Clem, he's the person I put first. Not because I like him (on the contrary), but just because of his age. He's not so annoying that I want him dead or anything.

#9 Posted by Getz (3159 posts) -

I didn't save Duck because he was in a less precarious situation, it didn't look like he need my help. Lo and behold, Duck lives anyway and other dude dies anyway. Totally meaningless choice other than Kenny being pissed at me the rest of the episode.

#10 Posted by gaminghooligan (1483 posts) -

Yeah I tried to let Duck die. The game had other plans...

#11 Posted by YI_Orange (1172 posts) -

I chose to save the other guy because he looked to be in a worse situation. I figured, help him and there'll be time for someone else to help Duck. Also, Duck fucked up and probably will again. Yeah, he's a kid, but my priorities are Clem and myself, I see Duck as a danger.

Also, as the stats at the end of the episode indicate, I also chose to save Carley. Again that was a situation where I figured, toss her the gun, she saves herself then shoots across and saves Doug(deep down I know these things aren't gonna work that way, but that's how I would see the situation if it were real). After playing Episode 2, I'm happy with my Carley choice. I'm not sure if Doug turns out the same way, but with Kenny being a douche 90% of the time(and wanting to leave so I don't trust him anymore) Carley seems like she's gonna be really loyal to me and might even end up being sort of a right hand.

#12 Posted by probablytuna (3832 posts) -

While I don't think all my decisions have been the best possible one, I try to be the "good guy" in any given situation. Most of my choices in Episode 2 were made to maintain my relationship with Clementine (like not raiding that car of resource and food at the end).

#13 Posted by KevinK (198 posts) -

Duck is kind of a silly kid. I loved at the end of episode 1 when he was talking about some fictional anime show or something and they just kept looping his audio so he kept rambling on and on. Just like little kids in real life, lol.

#14 Posted by AndrewB (7691 posts) -

I haven't finished episode 2 yet, but still, I have to agree that Duck is the worst. I knew I was making a mistake in saving him from the beginning (unless I'm following the logic I figure the developers are following and the seemingly useless character will turn out to be the hero someday; also, why else would you go out of your way to make him so annoying?). In fact, a lot of the sappy choices I've made in The Walking Dead have lead me to believe I'm not as ready to survive the actual Zombie apocalypse as I thought I was. I've gone against a lot of what my logical mind has told me.

#15 Posted by laserbolts (5371 posts) -

After episode 2 I'm done with Kenny and his family. They can die for all I care. Feel bad for the wife because she seems alright but I will not go out of my way to help Kenny. Also I chose to help duck in the first episode but in the second Kenny got upset with me because I didn't help him. Not sure if that's a bug or something.

#16 Posted by Captain_Insano (1566 posts) -

I didn't choose Duck, that was the hardest decision for me though. I figured I owed Shaun one and that he could potentially help in the future.

#17 Posted by natetodamax (19220 posts) -

@Grillbar said:

if your gonna be all spoiler about it no matter what you choose duck will survive and the other guy that i cant remember the name of right now will still die in the end its all about if kenny is going to like you or not.

Huh. I guess that makes sense, considering that their age difference means they fill very different roles. I imagine it would be difficult to write future episodes with some players having a kid that can't do anything and the others having an adult instead. Still, that's a little disappointing.

#18 Posted by Phatmac (5730 posts) -

I always find people hating kids to be creepy. Sure they can be annoying, but they're still kids. It's like they've never had any interactions with kids before. I find Duck annoying, but I wouldn't risk a childs' life over an adult or teenager.

#19 Posted by Sgtpierceface (648 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

I always find people hating kids to be creepy. Sure they can be annoying, but they're still kids. It's like they've never had any interactions with kids before. I find Duck annoying, but I wouldn't risk a childs' life over an adult or teenager.

I don't think the people hating on Duck (including me) hate kids, they just don't like the annoying ones. Clem is a GREAT character. She's actually useful and hasn't really been much of a liability at all. Even at the drug store, getting attacked the way she did could've happened to anybody. Duck is just grating. I suppose since he's a kid he's important to the future of the human race and all, but still.

#20 Posted by Twinsun (495 posts) -

Saving the kid seemed like the right thing to do, the other guy had a better chance of saving himself.

#21 Posted by Phatmac (5730 posts) -

@Sgtpierceface said:

@Phatmac said:

I don't think the people hating on Duck (including me) hate kids, they just don't like the annoying ones. Clem is a GREAT character. She's actually useful and hasn't really been much of a liability at all. Even at the drug store, getting attacked the way she did could've happened to anybody. Duck is just grating. I suppose since he's a kid he's important to the future of the human race and all, but still.

Sure I get that. Duck is probably my least favorite character but he serves a role. My point being that people continue to wish death upon Duck for either laughs or for real. Those kind of people creep me out. Perhaps its for jest, but usually they're being truthful.

#22 Posted by Droop (1916 posts) -

Telltale must be building up to something with Duck. I just don't see what, seeing as he feels designed to be annoying.

#23 Posted by YI_Orange (1172 posts) -

@Phatmac: I don't "wish" death on Duck(though I do strongly dislike him), it's just that in their current situation, I don't think there's room for the "he's a kid" excuse. A most likely nice and useful guy is dead because Duck's an idiot. That's not ok.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.