Ep 4 ending, did anybody else expect... *HUGE spoilers inside*

#1 Posted by MysteriousFawx (382 posts) -

To be given the option to remove the limb when Lee gets bitten (fuck you Whitta)? I was waiting for the moment where Lee is like 'oh shit lets just do this...' and ends up spending the majority of episode 5 in a weak state, returning the game to fear/evasion instead of the zombie slaying confidence it has built up to now.

Would have been a nice reference to the comic series if nothing else, considering how characters in that lose limbs and body parts like its going out of style.

Just seems like a kick in the balls to see that Episode 5 is going to be played out knowing the ultimate outcome, regardless of the journey. Although they could play it smart and time the entire final episode, so you can fail to find Clem before you turn, adding in quicker progression for having more group members come along with you.

Either way though, fantastic episode.

#2 Posted by lclay (383 posts) -

If they put a timer on the last episode I will be pretty annoyed. Timers suck.

#3 Posted by guiseppe (2838 posts) -

According to the TV series, some people are immune. Just saying.

#4 Edited by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

Can they just fall back on the bite not being a fatal wound? Because the infection is airborne, thus the bites would have to cause serious injury to kill. Or maybe I'm just thinking too much.

But if you wanna get super stupid about this, amputation would probably cause infection. It's why almost more Civil War soldiers died in hospitals than the battlefield. If it were me, I would just skip the pain and take my chances on the bite.

#5 Posted by Aegon (5410 posts) -

@guiseppe said:

When was this revealed? I know that everyone turns into a zombie when they're dead, but who's immune?

#6 Posted by thdemn (94 posts) -

@guiseppe said:

Based on the comics not the TV show. In the comics, you infection will get you it has nothing to do with the virus itself. Everyone has been infected, bitten or not. And no one can be "immune" to a bacterial infection introduced directly to the bloodstream, Lee is fucked.

On a side note, it would have been excellent to see Lee try and take off his arm, but he really wouldn't have a reason to. These guys are much less informed about the plague as Rick and co. were when they started hacking off limbs.

#7 Posted by RockinKemosabe (619 posts) -

If Lee dies at the end of episode 5, I may be less inclined to play the next season of the game, especially it continues with the same characters. All new characters may convince me, but playing as someone else, in the same group won't be the same. The relationship between the player and Clem is so immediately powerful and is arguably the best element in the game that I cannot see it done without Lee. It won't be the same without Lee.

#8 Posted by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

@RockinKemosabe said:

If Lee dies at the end of episode 5, I may be less inclined to play the next season of the game, especially it continues with the same characters. All new characters may convince me, but playing as someone else, in the same group won't be the same. The relationship between the player and Clem is so immediately powerful and is arguably the best element in the game that I cannot see it done without Lee. It won't be the same without Lee.

Yeah, but I like seeing some story with balls. I trust the creativity of TellTale to give us new and interesting characters. But I'd be happy either way.

#9 Posted by leinad44 (503 posts) -

@RockinKemosabe: I have a feeling that you'll be playing as Clem in Season 2

#10 Posted by Sgtpierceface (613 posts) -

I'm REALLY hoping for some crazy twist and the end of episode 5, and Lee lives somehow. But given the way that the rest of the game has happened, I don't have too much hope :(

#11 Posted by RedSox8933 (2428 posts) -

@guiseppe: Yeah, but the TV show is also a poorly-written pile of shit. Basically the opposite of this game.

#12 Posted by Just_an_other_muffin (90 posts) -

@EpicSteve: No. Duck was bitten in ep 3, and It wasn't a fatal wound but he still started to get sick and died.

#13 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

I think it'd be a little stupid if Lee survived. The bite causes a fever that leads to death, which then turns to zombieism. I've never heard of people being immune to it, and if they miraculously find a cure for Lee I think it'd take away from the game completely. Especially if another game is being made.

#14 Posted by Blackout62 (1329 posts) -

@RockinKemosabe said:

Ooh maybe we'll get to play as Molly. She was way too badass for a one time deal.

#15 Posted by RockinKemosabe (619 posts) -

@leinad44: Like have a big time jump into the next season? Teenager Clem?

#16 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2313 posts) -
@guiseppe said:

They never said that.
#17 Posted by HistoryInRust (6274 posts) -

@thdemn: Does that work in the comics? Chopping off the bitten limb?

#18 Posted by leinad44 (503 posts) -

@RockinKemosabe: Could be. I'm only guessing though

#19 Posted by Bane122 (783 posts) -

When I first saw the image for episode 5 in the menu, with Clementine standing over a siloheutted body, I was prepared for Lee to die by the end but the reveal of the bite still caught me off guard.

#20 Posted by OneManX (1681 posts) -

@HistoryInRust said:

From where I am at in the books (which is pretty early considering) They are still hacking off limbs so they haven't figured out that everyone is infected. But yeah guys getting their limbs hacked some survive, and other don't and it just depends on the medical situations.

#21 Posted by DeathbyYeti (742 posts) -

Ive only had two story surprises and it was the death of Lilys dad and Doug

Other than that the game has been pretty straight forward

#22 Posted by CommanderZx2 (134 posts) -

@Blackout62 said:

@RockinKemosabe said:

Ooh maybe we'll get to play as Molly. She was way too badass for a one time deal.

That would be interesting playing as Molly, but she's very acrobatic and so it would be difficult for the game developers to come up with reasons why you cannot just hop over walls or whatever to escape zombies.

#23 Posted by MysteriousFawx (382 posts) -

@HistoryInRust said:

Can't put a name to it, but someone does survive a bite in the comics after having the limb removed instantly. Also, Dale (who dies totally differently in the TV series) loses one leg, gets bitten and then cannibals eat his other leg (without knowing, they find out when he bursts out laughing after waking up to find his leg missing and over a campfire...seriously the comics are awesome), with the suggestion that eating bite carrier meat will transfer the infection as well.

I also recall one person in the comics losing a limb after being bitten but dying of blood loss, it seemed at the time like they caught it fast enough to stop infection.

#24 Posted by Phatmac (5722 posts) -

@guiseppe said:

I don't believe that they ever said that. They abide by the rules in the comics that you turn into a zombie once you die even if you don't have a bite.

#25 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@CommanderZx2 said:

@Blackout62 said:

@RockinKemosabe said:

That would be interesting playing as Molly, but she's very acrobatic and so it would be difficult for the game developers to come up with reasons why you cannot just hop over walls or whatever to escape zombies.

Molly can die, so you wont be playing as her.

#26 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

@MysteriousFawx said:

@HistoryInRust said:

Can't put a name to it, but someone does survive a bite in the comics after having the limb removed instantly. Also, Dale (who dies totally differently in the TV series) loses one leg, gets bitten and then cannibals eat his other leg (without knowing, they find out when he bursts out laughing after waking up to find his leg missing and over a campfire...seriously the comics are awesome), with the suggestion that eating bite carrier meat will transfer the infection as well.

I also recall one person in the comics losing a limb after being bitten but dying of blood loss, it seemed at the time like they caught it fast enough to stop infection.

The main character, Rick Grimes

#27 Posted by MysteriousFawx (382 posts) -

@TheHumanDove said:

@MysteriousFawx said:

@HistoryInRust said:

Ricks hand was never bitten to my memory. He smashed it up by beating someone to a pulp and it didn't heal correctly, then the Governor cut it off purely to make his point, right? Infact I think Dale was bitten twice, once on the leg he had amputated then again before the cannibals incident. Its been a while since I went through the comics however, my memory might be a little hazy.

#28 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

How awesome would episode 5 be if it turns into controlling Lee as a zombie and you have to bite the other survivors.

#29 Posted by thdemn (94 posts) -

@MysteriousFawx said:

@TheHumanDove said:

@MysteriousFawx said:

@HistoryInRust said:

Ricks hand was never bitten to my memory. He smashed it up by beating someone to a pulp and it didn't heal correctly, then the Governor cut it off purely to make his point, right? Infact I think Dale was bitten twice, once on the leg he had amputated then again before the cannibals incident. Its been a while since I went through the comics however, my memory might be a little hazy.

Yeah, Rick has never been bit. Dale survived his first bite by containing the infection in the severed limb, and sealing the infection point by cauterizing the stump. Rick lost a hand to the Governor as he went to argue against him. Its assumed that, provided the infection is contained quick enough, removing the infected limb will get rid of the problem with proper treatment. Remember, this is bacteria we are dealing with. Shit moves slower than viruses, but there is still a short window.

#30 Posted by Adaurin (186 posts) -

They would be going against every zombke convention that Robert Kirkman sticks to like glue if Lee lived. The only exception is if his hand/arm was removed immediately after being bitten like what happened to Dale in the comics. By the time they went to Vernon's hideout it was already too late for that. I'd be very, very surprised if Lee lived. My guess is that season 2 will either star Clem or it will be an entirely different cast of characters.

#31 Posted by bkbroiler (1607 posts) -

@leinad44 said:

@RockinKemosabe: I have a feeling that you'll be playing as Clem in Season 2

That would be intense.

#32 Posted by kishinfoulux (2256 posts) -

@RedSox8933 said:

@guiseppe: Yeah, but the TV show is also a poorly-written pile of shit. Basically the opposite of this game.

No it's not.

@TheHumanDove said:

I think it'd be a little stupid if Lee survived. The bite causes a fever that leads to death, which then turns to zombieism. I've never heard of people being immune to it, and if they miraculously find a cure for Lee I think it'd take away from the game completely. Especially if another game is being made.

It'd be kind of shoddy story telling, but if Lee somehow survived I'd be okay with it because he deserves it damn it!!!

#33 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

I hope Clementine is in the second season, even if she is a nonplayer character, and we play as another character who joins the group. If for nothing else just to get closer, assuming Lee dies. Although, one thing the Walking Dead is not about, is closer.

#34 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

@kishinfoulux said:

@RedSox8933 said:

No it's not.

@TheHumanDove said:

It'd be kind of shoddy story telling, but if Lee somehow survived I'd be okay with it because he deserves it damn it!!!

Lots of people deserved to live in The Walking Dead.

None of them ever get to.

There are no exceptions to the rules.

#35 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5117 posts) -

I thought that by checking the box you wouldn't be fucked. I forgot to check the box.

#36 Posted by SMTDante89 (2550 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos: No, I checked the pile of garbage before I went for the radio and the zombie just jumps out and gets a quick bite in before Lee kills it.

#37 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

I have a feeling Clem will kill Zombie Lee by the end of episode 5 and next season you play as Clem when she is a teen.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.