Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Walking Dead

Game » consists of 41 releases. Released Nov 21, 2012

Presenting an original story in the same franchise as the comic book series of the same name, The Walking Dead is a five-part adventure game from Telltale that follows the story of a convicted murderer, his guardianship over a young girl, and his co-operation with a roaming group of survivors in a zombie apocalypse.

Episode 4 spoilerless impressions

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Ramone

So I haven't downloaded this yet but I was wondering what everyone thought of it compared to the previous 3, I've heard that it's a bit filler-y.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By AndrewB

Despite there being plenty of great moments, it doesn't feel as strong as Episode 3 to me. Definitely more of a vehicle to launch the final chapter of this season.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3  Edited By MildMolasses

Not nearly on the level of the previous installment. I'm having a hard time understanding where people are coming from when they say that they had a hard time making choices, as nothing really seemed that dramatic to me. There are definitely some interesting story beats, and possibly the best environments yet, but it didn't give me an emotional gut punch like the last episode

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By DeF

There was a certain character arc that I felt was badly handled. A very ineffective way to build someone up to be part of one of the key decisions in the latter part of the episode.

Great variety of locations and scenarios though. There's also a lot of action in this one which emphasized my issue with the lack of options to turn on inverted cursor controls (if you play with a gamepad).

Also introduces one of the coolest characters of the series for me.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Branthog

I actually felt it was the best episode, so far. Episode three was fine, but the whole side-of-the-road thing just didn't do it for me, though it was momentarily shocking. The threads of your past choices pulling together in episode four and the progression of your involvement with Clem make it incredibly compelling. It left me both sad and angry and the wait for the final episode is going to be horrible.

Ultimately, Telltale can have my $25 for a second season (with or without a whole new cast and scenario etc) whenever they're ready. This has been a thoroughly enjoyable and unique experience.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SlasherMan

@MildMolasses said:

Not nearly on the level of the previous installment. I'm having a hard time understanding where people are coming from when they say that they had a hard time making choices, as nothing really seemed that dramatic to me. There are definitely some interesting story beats, and possibly the best environments yet, but it didn't give me an emotional gut punch like the last episode

I feel the same way.

Not as good as the last two episodes, but still pretty enjoyable.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By notdavid

This episode is mostly about setting up the pieces for the finale. Better than the first episode, but not as great as the last two.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Branthog

@SlasherMan said:

@MildMolasses said:

I feel the same way.

Episode three didn't give me any gut-punches, because I felt I wasn't given much choice in the matter. I even restarted episode three (the one and only time I've done this in this game) to see if I could steer things the other way. Nope. All of my choices lead to the same character being murdered on the side of the road. Instead of a gut-punch "oh my god, what could I have done to help this", I just felt it was a piece of formulaic manipulation. More so than the obvious manipulations in the rest of the game.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SlasherMan

@Branthog said:

@SlasherMan said:

@MildMolasses said:

I feel the same way.

Episode three didn't give me any gut-punches, because I felt I wasn't given much choice in the matter. I even restarted episode three (the one and only time I've done this in this game) to see if I could steer things the other way. Nope. All of my choices lead to the same character being murdered on the side of the road. Instead of a gut-punch "oh my god, what could I have done to help this", I just felt it was a piece of formulaic manipulation. More so than the obvious manipulations in the rest of the game.

It's really no different in this episode from that perspective (or hell, even any of the other episodes).

For example, right at the beginning when you're shooting the zombies off of Clem, at least one zombie remains invincible so they can't be killed and this is how they basically set it up so that Chuck dies no matter what you do. If anything, it's even worse in this than it was with Carley in Episode 3, because there it was completely out of your hands, whereas here you're given a gun to actually do something with but then are not allowed to because that's not what the writers wanted. That immediately breaks whatever illusion there is and disengages me from the game.
    MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10  Edited By MildMolasses
    @Branthog: I get where your coming from, but I've never been ok with the idea of total freedom of choice. In real life, you can't control everything, so I think it's foolish to allow the outcomes of everything to depend entirely on your choices. The game exists in such a way that other people's choices can have just as much impact as yours, and I think they successfully pull that off. While you do get to make decisions, I don't think it would be nearly as effective if the outcome of the universe bent entirely to your will
    thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By thatdudeguy

I must be in the minority that loved this episode.

The Bad:

This episode doesn't really resolve many outstanding plot points. The major choices you make here largely don't have consequences that are visible yet.

The Good:

This episode has quite a bit of action, and moves quickly from environment to environment. It also introduces new mysteries and tensions that will be settled in Episode 5. While I enjoyed Episode 3, it was really a vehicle for one big moment. The rest of the episode was a little slow. This entry, in contrast, has a fun central event with interesting connective tissue to the episodes on either side. It introduces several interesting characters and settings, and it's also the first episode to present major choices involving Lee and Clementine directly. This episode was a nice change of pace from the last, and serves as a great ramp up to Episode 5 (which I'm assuming will be balls-to-the-walls crazy).

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By JasonR86

I'm about halfway through and so far it has been pretty good. It hasn't been as 'oh shit' as episode 3 though (I can't think of a better way to put that). One negative that has stood out are little cliches that some of the characters have used. Two in particular stood out. The bell tolls for thee? Seriously?

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By mrfluke

this episode was basically another set piece like episode 2, but mannn, gary has set the stage for what can be a serious powerhouse of a emotional finalie imo,  Id HATE to be the guy working on episode 5

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Episodes 2 and 3 are the strongest, in some order. 4 is fine but the pacing is a little inconsistent. I'm not sold on the notion that this couldn't have been wrapped up in four episodes. But hey.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By bkbroiler

I thought this episode might have been the strongest. I've felt that way about all of them, but looking back now I think 2 was the weakest after the first episode. It was an incredible reveal, but that's pretty much all the episode hinged on, and let's be honest, we all saw that coming.

I thought 3 was fantastic character-wise. 4 had some incredible weight to it, which may have benefited from the previous episodes building to it, but I also loved the adventure-y, running all over-the-place nature of it. and thought it was pretty funny to boot. I like that this one kind of changed the design of the episodes a bit (start, small action scene, talk with people in a hub world, advance, talk in hub again).

I've loved the shit out of all of them, though. I'm excited to play through them all on PC after 5 is released.

cabelhigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By cabelhigh

I think 4 was the best constructed and probably most entertaining from a game standpoint, tho it really lacked 3's emotional depth and character development. Not many really good character moments in this episode, I thought.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pyrodactyl

play it

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.