first game to actually get me feeling emotional

#1 Posted by tunaburn (1885 posts) -

i never get any kind of emotional response from a video game. the closes i got was the aires death scene in final fantasy 7 when i was younger. But man this game got me. the end of episode 5 was rough.

although i dont like the after the credits part..... i hate not knowing... were they zombies?? good people? well?? WELL?!?!!?!?

anyways, like i said, this is the only game ive played that actually made me really sad. anyone else have any other games that got them sad? as sad as this did?

#2 Posted by bkbroiler (1606 posts) -

Nothing has hit me as hard as this. I just felt real despair and sadness at the end of this game. It's kind of a bittersweetness that hurts the most, to me. Reminds me of how I felt at the end of the Golden Compass trilogy.

The only other games I can remember getting emotional at are Grim Fandango (that had a kind of happy, bittersweet ending. Plus I was sad it was over) and weirdly enough, the Pigsy's Perfect 10 DLC for Enslaved.

#3 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Well that's it! I have to play this game.

#4 Posted by BeachThunder (11697 posts) -

If you have a DS give 999 a go.

Maybe Virtue's Last Reward too, but I haven't played it yet, so I don't know.

#5 Posted by tunaburn (1885 posts) -

on another note, who do you think those 2 people were at the end. im just telling myself they are the 2 i left to help her and not zombies....

#6 Posted by TurboMan (7400 posts) -

@tunaburn said:

on another note, who do you think those 2 people were at the end. im just telling myself they are the 2 i left to help her and not zombies....

It's not zombies you should worry about.

#7 Posted by JellyFish_Gsus (769 posts) -

Clems a good shot, so if its zombies at the end then I believe she will be fine. Hope its two peeps though.

#8 Posted by SharkEthic (1004 posts) -

To The Moon made me tear up. Dear Esther and Journey was very emotional for me as well.

#9 Posted by tunaburn (1885 posts) -

@TurboMan said:

@tunaburn said:

It's not zombies you should worry about.

yea yea... fear the living more... i know fuckin game....

#10 Posted by tunaburn (1885 posts) -

you guys think in season 2 we will be playing as clem? shes the only other character obviously left to really care about. i dont want to start over as a new guy.

#11 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

I'm with you. It pulled me in emotionally more than any other game. But I thought the final scene was one of the best parts. It really got me wondering and has obviously set up a great segue into the next series.

#12 Posted by tunaburn (1885 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

Well that's it! I have to play this game.

yes you do

#13 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

@SharkEthic said:

To The Moon made me tear up. Dear Esther and Journey was very emotional for me as well.

yeah, to the moon was probably the most emotionally evocative game for me. i loved the walking dead as much as the next guy, but i'm oddly jealous at how depressed it made others.. the end didn't have the same effect on me.

#14 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -
@SharkEthic said:
I loved Dear Esther. 2012 has been a great year for these sorts of games.
#15 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

Certainly had me gutted. Fought my hardest to save Clem only to watch her cry her heart out for seeing her zombie parents and then seeing Lee go as well. Then I felt content and happy in a weird Walking Dead kind of way. I did what I could to help her live in that fucked up world.

Damn you Telltale for playing on my heartstrings so well.

#16 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -

Throughout all the other episodes it felt like I had some kind of barrier keeping sadness from getting to me, all the people dying was more like shock than any sadness. 
It felt like I had to keep going and not dwell on the sad things and just try to survive and keep everyone from killing each other, but that final scene was just breaking me down completely. 

There were a few moments in Mass Effect 3 that stirred up some emotions in me, and some moments in other games, but nothing at the level of The Walking Dead.

#17 Posted by wemibelec90 (1552 posts) -

The character development and attachment is some of the best I've ever seen. Truly, the characters of The Walking Dead are some of the only video game characters I've ever been sad to see things happen to. It's rather impressive. Game of the Year in my book, easily.

#18 Posted by tunaburn (1885 posts) -

@wemibelec90: yes it was amazingly well done

#19 Posted by UitDeToekomst (702 posts) -

I continue to not understand why people are so affected by this game, but good for you that you got something out of it.

#20 Posted by tunaburn (1885 posts) -

@UitDeToekomst: well i think it depends how you play. all alone. really putting yourself in thier shoes. plus clementine is my daughters age.....

#21 Posted by BSw (249 posts) -

I'd really like to give this series a go, but I doubt my (business) laptop is able to pull it off. Has anyone tried it with an integrated graphics card?

#22 Posted by Brodehouse (9586 posts) -

So you're telling me you've never felt excitement, anger, joy, confusion, fear, or regret while playing any game? What do you do when you watch a movie, just take a mental stock of the events and then leave stone faced?

#23 Posted by BeachThunder (11697 posts) -

@BSw said:

I'd really like to give this series a go, but I doubt my (business) laptop is able to pull it off. Has anyone tried it with an integrated graphics card?

Minimum

• CPU: 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 or equivalent.
  • RAM: 3 GB RAM.
  • Hard Disk Space: 2 GB Space Free.
  • GPU: ATI or NVidia card w/ 512 MB RAM (Not recommended for Intel integrated graphics).
  • DirectX: Direct X 9.0c.
  • Sound: Direct X 9.0c sound device.

They specifically say that it's not recommended for integrated graphics; but the minimum requirements are pretty modest. If your laptop's newer than, say, 5 years, I think there's a fair chance you'll be able to run it.

#24 Posted by Kerned (1169 posts) -

Journey made me tear up a bit the second or third time I played through it. It was the first playthough that really "clicked" for me. I had the same companion throughout, a white-cloaked player guiding me to all the hidden secrets. It made the ending all the more impactful. I am currently playing through Valkyria Chronicles. There is a point in that (which I will not spoil) that made me really, really sad.

#25 Posted by BSw (249 posts) -

@BeachThunder: It's not that old, but I've seen it having problems with games that seemingly require less from it than TWD (which also said that an integrated card should work). And only now I realize it'll actually need 3GB of RAM, which it doesn't have. Guess I'll have to go for the 360 version once I have some more cash. But thanks!

#26 Posted by RecSpec (3763 posts) -

I second 999 and To the Moon, To the Moon completely made me break down last year. 

#27 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

@RecSpec said:

I second 999 and To the Moon, To the Moon completely made me break down last year.

I just finished To The Moon. Between that and the finale of The Walking Dead I am a wreck.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.