Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Walking Dead

Game » consists of 41 releases. Released Nov 21, 2012

Presenting an original story in the same franchise as the comic book series of the same name, The Walking Dead is a five-part adventure game from Telltale that follows the story of a convicted murderer, his guardianship over a young girl, and his co-operation with a roaming group of survivors in a zombie apocalypse.

Growing anger from community over release of Walking Dead ep 2

• 56 results
    simonsays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By simonsays

I pre-ordered my copy of Walking Dead from Telltale Games straight after they made it available, while there were issues via a delay on the telltale side, I recieved my first ep and was happy. However, two months on I am not so happy, Telltale have not released any information on an exact release for the second ep and people are getting pissed. Check out their facebook page (under top seller may 2012) and you will see a small slice of anger from customers that have been left in the dark after paying for a season pass and feel that Telltale haven't done anything to respond to this except to put up their episodes of Playing Dead, which has further infuriated the fanbase. I just wondered what others felt?

https://www.facebook.com/telltalegames

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Bocam

It's Telltale, this is to be expected. I do think they should not have charged the full price on PC though.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By Dagbiker

I dont really care, I will play it when they are all out.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Revan_NL

It could be worse. Valve announced back in 2006 that there would be 3 episodes for Half-Life 2...

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By EquitasInvictus

It is kind of a bummer how impatiently entitled a lot of people are when it comes down to these things. Was it always like this? I feel like there was a time when fans were a lot more patient and behind developers.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bocam

@EquitasInvictus: On the PC you had to pay upfront for the episodes, they have a right to be mad. The others? Not so much.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jking47

I am gonna hold off on being angry till June is over. I do feel a little slighted, they were definitely misleading with the monthly release schedule stuff, but whatever companies do that shit all the time. But if July comes around and I do not have the game I paid for, yeah I am gonna be a little concerned.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

@EquitasInvictus: Entitled? Fucking hell.

People may have bought this fully unaware of Telltale's usual release shenanigans and were expecting a monthly release cycle. It was advertised that these would be monthly. For those people, they've paid for goods that aren't being delivered.

How, exactly, is that being entitled? When I buy something with an expected delivery date, I kind of expect it to arrive. Delays happen, and Telltale haven't done a good job of getting the word out that this is happening.

EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@Bocam: I can understand the issue with regards to PC players, then. I was actually considering getting The Walking Dead on PC, too, but I convinced myself that I'd wait for all the episodes to be finished just because I wasn't really behind the whole waiting for the complete package episode by episode. I like to get things done in one shot when I can.

@dekkadekkadekka: Yeah I hadn't known the whole point about PC players having to pay for the all the episodes upfront until just now; their issue with telltale is justified in this case. My comment with regards to entitlement was more of a general comment with gaming nowadays, since it seems like a lot of gamers in general have been more outspoken about their dissatisfaction in cases that have been unfair to the developers.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm probably not going to be buying Ep. 2 because of this

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bocam

@EquitasInvictus: I'm doing the exact same thing

simonsays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By simonsays

I have always bought the telltale games after the end of the season. This is the first and last where I bought it upfront. PC and PS3 gamers had to buy the season pass and it was only Xbox that got the opportunity to buy it episodically.

EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@dekkadekkadekka: Let me elaborate that my comment was with regards to gamers in general. It seems as if we've been a little outspoken about our dissatisfaction with developers to the extent where it isn't even constructive anymore. In this case, it isn't even July yet and the Telltale Games facebook is filled with comments of people up in arms. There's still 4 more days to June for them to usher out the actual release or an announcement about it.

I understand now that in this case some people actually paid for everything up front and it might be a reason for concern that it is almost July, but I still feel like it is too early to be admonishing Telltale outright like some people have been on their Facebook page.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Revan_NL said:

It could be worse. Valve announced back in 2006 that there would be 3 episodes for Half-Life 2...

Cut them some slack, man. It's only been 6 years.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Transparency would help a lot in this situation, if Telltale is behind they should say why, or at least make it known to the community that they're aware of concerns and are doing their best to resolve things.

I'm the first to shake my head at how entitled and unreasonable a lot of gamers are these days but PC gamers who paid for the game on the promise of a monthly release schedule I think have a right to be a little annoyed.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Vorbis

I don't see how anyone on Giantbomb can be surprised by this considering the well known fact that Gary Whitta had barely started script for ep4 when the first episode was released. Most of the anger is coming from people who assumed the game was finished and they were just going to release it in episodes. Fact is, the episodes aren't done.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By OneManX

It's coming out this week... according to Telltale.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hosstile17

Games get delayed.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jay_ray

As long as the game is good I don't care if they miss the release date.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By renmckormack

@EquitasInvictus said:

It is kind of a bummer how impatiently entitled a lot of people are when it comes down to these things. Was it always like this? I feel like there was a time when fans were a lot more patient and behind developers.

When was this time?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By ajamafalous
    @PlasmaBeam44 said:

Just confirmed that it's coming out tomorrow on Xbox 360 and Friday for PC and PS3. They've come in just under the wire.

Man, they sure squeezed that one in there at the last minute, huh. 

Like other people said, transparency helps a ton. A week/week and a half ago they should've said "Hey guys we're working really hard but we're not sure if we're going to be able to make it by the end of June, so just sit tight, it might slip to the first week or two of July" and everything would've been fucking fine. I honestly don't understand how companies don't understand this.
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@RenMcKormack: I would say in the late 90s and early part of 2000s. Before EA swallowed a bunch of smaller developers up and they ran their own websites and communities. I remember those communities being a lot less angry!

Then again, this may be less of a problem with gamers-at-large as it is a problem with facebook and social media...

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By laserbolts

@EquitasInvictus said:

There was also a time when there weren't seasons passes and as far as I can tell people were told they would get episodes at certain times. People paid for it so they have all the right to complain or be upset by telltale's complete lack of service. Entitiled is a word that is throw around way too much these days. Edited since have read that they will still get the episode out this month. Still feel telltale should update people on what is up more often.

EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@laserbolts: Yeah I hadn't realized until someone replied after that people actually had to pay for all the episodes upfront. I wasn't aware of that point, which would've justified some concern. It looks like Telltale is actually barely going to make it, anyway, too. Hopefully this isn't as big of an issue next month.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#26  Edited By Draugen

@Revan_NL said:

True, but they didn't charge for all three up front, did they? That's what makes TellTale's radio silence so iffy.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By Phatmac

It's coming out tomorrow you guys! Woo!

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By killacam

shuuuuutttt uuuuuuuupppppppppppppppppp

tonnous24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tonnous24

Batteries, how do they work?

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By spiceninja
    viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By viking_funeral
    @EquitasInvictus I have a Pavlovian reaction to people using the word entitled these days. For some reasons I always instantly think of our PR department.
    Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Damian

@dekkadekkadekka said:

@EquitasInvictus: Entitled? Fucking hell.

People may have bought this fully unaware of Telltale's usual release shenanigans and were expecting a monthly release cycle. It was advertised that these would be monthly. For those people, they've paid for goods that aren't being delivered.

How, exactly, is that being entitled? When I buy something with an expected delivery date, I kind of expect it to arrive. Delays happen, and Telltale haven't done a good job of getting the word out that this is happening.

That's just it. Gamers, but especially the enthusiast press has twisted the word entitled to being an insult. It's not. Sometimes people simply are in fact entitled to what they pay for. A "false sense of entitlement" and actual entitlement are separate things that have now been blurred.

So I just wish we'd stop using the word altogether for a while :/

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@Revan_NL said:

But you didn't pay for Episode 3.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#34  Edited By Kidavenger

I'd much rather have a good game late than a shitty game on time.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By sub_o

@EquitasInvictus said:

I guess people are more and more entitled nowadays. Not sure why, is it because work pressure seeping into personal life ? Or lack of compassion and people stop wearing others' shoes ?

Be patient, there are certifications, testing, etc. I would rather wait than to get a hastily created product just for profit. Plus it's also a delayed gratification !

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By supamon

@Mr_Skeleton said:

@Revan_NL said:

But you didn't pay for Episode 3.

In our hearts we did. Also it still bums me out every time someone mentions episode 3 or Half-Life 3.

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By sixpin

Man I'm tired of the word entitled. I'm also tired of everyone freaking out about things not going exactly how they expect, in the exact time frame that they wanted. In general the negativity is a bummer. When people are constantly bickering it gets in the way and is generally written off as more noise. Real issues that could be brought up in a more constructive manner (retailer specific DLC for example) get tossed out with the dish water far too often.

Anyway... Episode 2 hits XBLA tomorrow and I'm pretty happy about that.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By TheHBK

When will gamers just admit they did something stupid and paid for a game before it was even out or being made? Don't preorder stuff or in this case prepay. Simple. You exchange money for goods and services, not promises.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@Jay_Ray said:

As long as the game is good I don't care if they miss the release date.

Agreed. Especially with the release of Dawnguard and the ME3 DLC today, there's been plenty of stuff to play lately while waiting for Walkind Dead Episode 2. It sucks it was delayed but I would prefer they miss their window of release than push out a shitty or broken product.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MeierTheRed

@Phatmac said:

It's coming out tomorrow you guys! Woo!

Yeah for 360. PS3 and PC Friday, which is total bullshit.

lightsoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By lightsoda

Let them finish it, rather than release a crappy game.

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
    Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By Lemmycaution217

I'm not tripping about it.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jozzy

I agree that patience is a virtue, but the anger was (I wouldn't call myself angry but I was disappointed) not specifically because they are late, but more about the way Telltale handled it all. I think it boils down to 2 things:

* It is either really amateuristic or deceptive to not at least have the first two or three episodes ready (or as good as ready) when you release the first episode of a monthly episode game

* They didn't communicate at all about the delay, they just pretended nothing was out of the ordinary

Anyhow, awesome that it will be out on friday for the pc.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By Milkman

I don't get the anger. As long as the episodes are good, who cares when they come out? Let them take as much time as they want.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's Tell Tale, everyone expects it. Only people getting mad are people who are new to the rodeo.

roland_d11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By roland_d11

@jozzy:

" It is either really amateuristic or deceptive to not at least have the first two or three episodes ready (or as good as ready) when you release the first episode of a monthly episode game"

No, it is just the way Telltale works. That way they can actually listen to feedback to the previous episodes and fix bugs that came up after release. They did that with every episodic game they put out and it helped to improve the quality during a season.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#47  Edited By Kidavenger

@jozzy said:

* It is either really amateuristic or deceptive to not at least have the first two or three episodes ready (or as good as ready) when you release the first episode of a monthly episode game

I honestly think the game's popularity took Telltale by surprise and they spent extra time beefing up the game.

Based on the achievement data on this site, Walking Dead is far and away the best selling game Telltale has ever had and it hasn't been out that long / never been on sale; I wouldn't be surprised if they made a retail release for this game once all 5 episodes are done to go with the start of the next season of the TV show.

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#48  Edited By CosmicQueso

But... but... they're making their schedule. Oh, forum dwellers just bitching to bitch? Got it.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Phatmac

@pornstorestiffi: It is. I'm sure you can wait a couple of days no?

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

It comes out tomorrow on xbla and friday of pc/ps3

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.