Has anyone died during there play though ( possible spoilers)

#1 Posted by Johnnboy2000 (115 posts) -

First off I love this game but unlike most games, when I'm playing it it doesn't seam like a game more like I watching a cool animated version of the TV show. There have been a few times I my reactions have been slow and I die which reminds me that's it's a game and I could just start aging which is fine but it dose take me out of the experience just a little. I think it would be cool if there could be a hardcore mode with perma death where you ether have to start over or I know this wold be impossible for the developers to do at this stage, but continue as someone else in the group or someone new coming into the group. It would add a exter layer of I can suspense knowing that if you die you die and every decision matters.

#2 Edited by ToTheNines (788 posts) -

I died twice during last episode lol. but perma death dosen't sound like a bad idea, if you're into that.

#3 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -

IMO perma death would just make it feel more like a game because in the back of my mind i'd always need to be "on" to make sure i don't die thus being less influenced by the writing and the story, both of which are so so good.

#4 Edited by Murtaug (309 posts) -

Died near the beginning of the second episode, first death of the series so far. I blame the fact that I was not use to the controls in the game after two months (?) of not playing it. Replayed the section with out issue.

Edit: I apparently do not under stand how spoiler blocks work.

#5 Posted by Gonmog (602 posts) -

No. This is a story based game.

#6 Posted by Nightriff (5257 posts) -

I died a few times when Mama kept shooting me at the end of the episode 2...should've been a no fail part because it really took me out of the momentum of the ending once I was like oh shit, she will kill me

#7 Posted by Milkman (17200 posts) -

I died once when Danny sticks the gun in the stall. I really wasn't expecting it and I didn't react fast enough.

#8 Posted by Mahogany (18 posts) -

The problem with a permadeath mode would that it would expose the mechanics of the story too much. Sometimes you make a decision which seems really important but ultimately the outcome is the same. This needs to be so to make development feasible and works great as long as you dont go back and change your decisions. Kind of a not wanting to see how the sausage is made sort of situation.

#9 Edited by M_Shini (551 posts) -

Only problem with perma death is that every time ive died ive died cuz the thing i was supposed to do i didn't actually notice to know to do to stay alive, it just becomes a game of if you don't react fast enough your dead, and the actual choices you make to change how the story goes ussaly aren't the things that end up killing you, its the events that always happen that do.

The game ussaly loads up quick enough that dieing hasn't brought me out of the game too much yet.

#10 Posted by rockyhorrorgerri (374 posts) -

I had the Band Director come to life and grab me in the beginning of Ep. 2. Died once because I did not crawl backwards but instead kick in his face.. then he ate my neck and died :(

#11 Posted by Yummylee (22294 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

I died a few times when Mama kept shooting me at the end of the episode 2...should've been a no fail part because it really took me out of the momentum of the ending once I was like oh shit, she will kill me

Yup, same here. When she points the gun at you, I figured I could move backwards a little, but instead she shot me. I never even actually moved, either!

#12 Posted by TheSilentGod (140 posts) -
@Yummylee said:

@Nightriff said:

Yup, same here. When she points the gun at you, I figured I could move backwards a little, but instead she shot me. I never even actually moved, either!

Ditto, got killed for the first, and so far only time by Mama shooting me for being too aggressive or walking towards her too quickly.
#13 Posted by Nightriff (5257 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@Nightriff said:

Besides this I loved the episode but just ruined the momentum of a fantastic last 20 minutes of the episode. It should've been her killing the hostage, wouldn't have been so bad. Maybe kill the wife and then the zombie gets her, something like that should've been the consequence of being aggressive towards her.

#14 Posted by Yummylee (22294 posts) -

@TheSilentGod said:

@Yummylee said:

@Nightriff said:

Ditto, got killed for the first, and so far only time by Mama shooting me for being too aggressive or walking towards her too quickly.

Oh, yeah, the second time she killed me was because I accidentally told her to ''PUT DOWN THE GUN, BITCH!''... Which makes sense, but I only said that because the arrangement for the dialogue options were switched around! My first attempt with the 'gentle' approach was mapped to the circle button (PS3 version), and during the second time I was a little more impatient so I just quickly pressed it again when it cropped up only to have Lee go the exact opposite route... That was kind of a piss take.

#15 Posted by Nightriff (5257 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@TheSilentGod said:

@Yummylee said:

@Nightriff said:

Oh, yeah, the second time she killed me was because I accidentally told her to ''PUT DOWN THE GUN, BITCH!''... Which makes sense, but I only said that because the arrangement for the dialogue options were switched around! My first attempt with the 'gentle' approach was mapped to the circle button (PS3 version), and during the second time I was a little more impatient so I just quickly pressed it again when it cropped up only to have Lee go the exact opposite route... That was kind of a piss take.

Haha, that is exactly what happened except I picked that on purpose because I thought it was funny and was curious what would happen. But it did switch buttons which I assume is they don't want a button associated with a specific action (light/dark, paragon/renegade) so the options will always switch. Good on them

#16 Posted by Yummylee (22294 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

@Yummylee said:

@TheSilentGod said:

@Yummylee said:

@Nightriff said:

Haha, that is exactly what happened except I picked that on purpose because I thought it was funny and was curious what would happen. But it did switch buttons which I assume is they don't want a button associated with a specific action (light/dark, paragon/renegade) so the options will always switch. Good on them

Hmm, yeah that's fair. Never actually thought about that. But still it can catch me off guard a little, like how I almost handed someone some food I didn't intend to because the ''give food'' option moved from cross to circle during a conversation after I asked them something. It's all well and good to purposely not have specific decisions always mapped to specific buttons, but a little less randomisation during the same conversation or when you have to possibly retry would be appreciated.

Oh well, it's not like I procrastinate during the choices or anything :P I do keep a good eye on what I'm saying, but as I said sometimes when they're unexpectedly moved around it can be a tad jarring.

#17 Posted by Soap_of_Death (94 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

Besides this I loved the episode but just ruined the momentum of a fantastic last 20 minutes of the episode. It should've been her killing the hostage, wouldn't have been so bad. Maybe kill the wife and then the zombie gets her, something like that should've been the consequence of being aggressive towards her.

I agree, it would have been better than simply having to restart the sequence choosing the opposite dialogue option.

I died when reacting poorly to Danny shoving a gun in my face in the barn. The mother also shot me twice, once when I failed to stop as she pointed the gun at me and another time when I abused her instead of trying to reason with her.

#18 Posted by Sogeman (875 posts) -

Twice, once in the stable and once against the mom. Didn't see the crosshair in the stable (was way off to the side) and made 1 step to many against mom.

#19 Posted by Captain_Insano (1555 posts) -

I died 5 times in a row in the zombie encounter in Clementine's house in ep 1, simply because my eyesight is terrible and I had no idea what the button prompt was. Took me a while to work out to fratically tap q. From there I was all good.

#20 Posted by MrMuscle (448 posts) -

I died a couple of times because i kept forgetting that i moved the cursor with the right analog stick and not the left.

#21 Posted by le_zane (63 posts) -

I've died all the time is this game, especially when they reset your cursor during a series of QTEs where you have to click the mouse. Sometimes it gets a bit laggy and will become unresponsive (especially during the press q parts). Often I simply don't see the stuff coming. Maybe I'm just dumb...

#22 Posted by Encephalon (1311 posts) -

Haven't died once yet, thankfully. I imagine that would kinda jolt you out of the experience.

#23 Edited by AjayRaz (12465 posts) -

i died when Danny sticks the gun into the booth thingy because i didn't expect it. mama also capped me a couple of times near the end of episode 2.

#24 Posted by Zuldim (291 posts) -

I died twice in episode 2.

Once when you open the gate in the barn the second time, and Danny is right there with the gun, though admittedly I should have seen this coming since I heard him say "This is the part I love best, when I let one of them think they're gettin' away." In the background while Kenny and Lee were talking.

Second time was when the mom had Katja at gunpoint and told me to stop approaching her, and I didn't realize I was suppose to talk to her before moving forward.

Perma-death wouldn't be a bad choice as an option, wouldn't want it on by default of course. Maybe add an achievement for getting to the very end of the game with perma-death on.

#25 Posted by _Chad (962 posts) -

I died a couple of times at the end of episode two. The part where you have to save Katjaa.

#26 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1020 posts) -

@Johnnboy2000: I got barbed wire shoved in my face, that was a brutal QTE. One of the most engaging though.

#27 Posted by brownsfantb (409 posts) -

I died two or three times at the part where Mrs. St John is pointing the gun at you. I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do to get her to not shoot me.

#28 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19377 posts) -

Yeah, only once when the mother points her gun at you and threatens you. I was expecting to die if I kept on moving and I thought I had stopped, but I guess Lee walked a bit or something because she shot me.

#29 Posted by Nottle (1918 posts) -

I've died quite a few times. I blame awful mouse controls. I died once to the cop because i didn't know i could back away. Then I died because I was lined up to shoot the cop with the shot gun but for some reason the mouse went to the center of the screen so i miss fired. I died when the band guy leaped on me because the Q command never showed up. I died to the zombie when you are pushing the trailer with Mark because the camera angle is kind of weird so I couldn't tell where the fron of the tractor was. I died to the shot gun in the stall because that was unexpected. Also i think i died to the shot gun again in the scuffle that ensued. Then I died a 5 times to the mom because I wanted to be an asshole to her and because 2 of the times i moved when i wasn't supposed to. I really wanted to be nice the entire time then say PUT HER DOWN BITCH!

Also did anyone spend 2 minutes at the part where one of the brothers is pushing you into the fence? I thought I was supposed to win the Q fight.

I think the mouse controls for this game are wonky some times. The cursor moves around when things get shaking which makes it hard to click on dudes face to kill dude.

#30 Posted by Xymox (2111 posts) -

I died when the tractor moved because I wasn't aware that I was the one who was supposed to be walking.

#31 Edited by Johnnboy2000 (115 posts) -

I'm only halfway through ep 3 and I died a bunch of time when trying to escape the motel.

#32 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

I died like 6 times in the train station in episode 3.

IT TURNED MY CURSOR INTO A FUCKING D-PAD.

How the fuck was I supposed to know how to toggle "down" to "right" on a mouse wheel?

#33 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1497 posts) -

I died twice when you have to push the S key (PC version) to move your character back after he falls on his ass. It doesn't respond the first time but does the second time ><

#34 Posted by probablytuna (3806 posts) -

I've died at least twice in each episode. Mostly because of a quick time sequence where I have to position my cursor exactly where they want it to be and I can't click fast enough. I rather they put more QTE instead of crap like this.

#35 Posted by StarvingGamer (8472 posts) -

I have only died a handful of times when the prompt is unclear and you have almost no time to react.

And permadeath would only work well if this game had 10x the dev time and budget.

#36 Posted by SpartanHoplite (388 posts) -

""it doesn't seam like a game more like I watching a cool animated version of the TV show""

yeah, watching it on youtube every time new episode is out, very good writing & entertains me throughout the whole 1,5-2 hour gameplay.

#37 Posted by HistoryInRust (6380 posts) -

Died early in the first episode right away during the bit with the shotgun and the crawling cop-walker. Straight up whiffed the shotgun blast and suffered the consequences.

Had a really bogus death in the Pharmacy at the beginning of Episode 3. The prompt to attack the walker that pounces Lee, the one with the motorcycle helmet, didn't appear at all the first time through. Just a silly bug.

#38 Posted by Johnnboy2000 (115 posts) -

Just finished ep3. First off boy what a Depressing ep. I did die a few times in the beginning gunfight then once in the train Station. Over all good ep can't wait for the next one the hobo is my new favorite character he's no nonsense which I think the group needs. I like how the keep adding and Subtracting people from the core group it keeps you coming back for more.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.