Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Walking Dead

Game » consists of 41 releases. Released Nov 21, 2012

Presenting an original story in the same franchise as the comic book series of the same name, The Walking Dead is a five-part adventure game from Telltale that follows the story of a convicted murderer, his guardianship over a young girl, and his co-operation with a roaming group of survivors in a zombie apocalypse.

Inverted controls?!

jasonefmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By jasonefmonk

Sorry if I missed the memo. I was avoiding this game until it was closer to completion because subscription games and online passes make me wary.

So I downloaded episode one on my PS3 and was immediately disappointed. No options for inverted thumb stick controls. I can't find any information that suggests Telltale will fix this with a patch or on the disc release. Anyone heard any positive news?

I think it is pretty lame and lazy when I have over 30 PS3 games and while they might not all have camera controls, the ones that do always give you the right options. Journey has inverted options, it's inexcusable to me that this doesn't.

I started a refund process with Sony, hopefully that goes well. In the event they never fix the console version of the game, what would be my next best system? I have a 13" laptop that could run it, and an iPhone 4. It will be selling the game short missing out on surround sound and a big(er) screen, but I never wanted to miss this experience.

Edit to show my post further down:

said:

Just wanted to come back and say that after playing through episode one, I ended up purchasing the rest of the season and finished it last night. For the most part the reticle isn't attached to your character in any meaningful way. It really does move around like a cursor as said.

That was a fun and powerful experience. There were a few instances where frame hitches caused me to miss actionable moments and I had to re-load. That sucked but I still loved the experience. I don't know that this has as much player agency as Heavy Rain but it's story is better told and without loose ends.

And thanks for convincing me to play, for those that did.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

You don't think filing for a refund because it doesn't have inverted controls is a bit of an overreaction? You could just try to tough it out. I play inverted and got used to the controls within the first episode. Plus, the game barely requires you have sharp, shooter-like reflexes.

jasonefmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jasonefmonk

@HistoryInRust said:

You don't think filing for a refund because it doesn't have inverted controls is a bit of an overreaction? You could just try to tough it out. I play inverted and got used to the controls within the first episode. Plus, the game barely requires you have sharp, shooter-like reflexes.

That's good to hear, however I don't think I overreacted by requesting a refund. I would not have bought it if I had known before hand; I think that's pretty telling. I want a similar experience that I got from playing Heavy Rain. I want to be immersed and not be worried about the accuracy of what I'm doing. When I have to make quick decisions I want the response to be natural and intuitive. I don't want to be loading a save because I didn't do what I intended at a crucial moment. Not playing inverted y-axis is tough for me, it's how I've always played.

To me it qualifies as broken, and maybe that is my overstep. But I see it as a necessary accommodation like left handed control options and subtitles.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Quid_Pro_Bono

@jasonefmonk: For what it's worth, I basically can NOT play a game without inverted y-axis on a gamepad and I, like HistoryInRust, was fine after like 5 minutes in the first episode. Just treat it like a mouse cursor. You generally just need to get the cursor near the target and mash the A button to get what you need done.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By laserbolts

So they made the game for superior beings. I pity you.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By morningstar

@Quid_Pro_Bono said:

@jasonefmonk: For what it's worth, I basically can NOT play a game without inverted y-axis on a gamepad and I, like HistoryInRust, was fine after like 5 minutes in the first episode. Just treat it like a mouse cursor. You generally just need to get the cursor near the target and mash the A button to get what you need done.

Same here, I was bummed out and considered stopping but kept on and was rewarded with a great game. Controls don't matter much here.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @laserbolts
    So they made the game for superior beings. I pity you.
    Down with Inverts!
    myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By myke_tuna

I played the PS3 version of the first episode at a friend's house and found this out. But I was gonna get on PC anyway, so I don't have this problem. I got used to the non-inversion fairly quickly though.

jasonefmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jasonefmonk

@HistoryInRust said:

... I play inverted and got used to the controls within the first episode. Plus, the game barely requires you have sharp, shooter-like reflexes.

@Quid_Pro_Bono said:

... For what it's worth, I basically can NOT play a game without inverted y-axis on a gamepad and I, like HistoryInRust, was fine after like 5 minutes in the first episode. Just treat it like a mouse cursor. You generally just need to get the cursor near the target and mash the A button to get what you need done.

@Morningstar said:

... Same here, I was bummed out and considered stopping but kept on and was rewarded with a great game. Controls don't matter much here.

@myketuna said:

... I got used to the non-inversion fairly quickly though.

Seems like everyone agrees, I'll have to give it a shot. The better audio/video will probably be worth it. Thanks for the friendly nudge.

As a side note, it doesn't seem like any of the bombcrew are inverted players. I seem to remember them talking about it once, but can't remember their preference.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By myke_tuna

@jasonefmonk said:

As a side note, it doesn't seem like any of the bombcrew are inverted players. I seem to remember them talking about it once, but can't remember their preference.

I believe Vinny is inverted and maybe Brad? Besides that, the rest are "normies". And they fucking "hate" us (the inverted folk).

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By GunstarRed

I'd heard about the non-invertedness of the game and it was something that has been putting me off getting it. I'd have liked to play it on the 360, but I guess I'm just gonna have to get it in the Steam sale now. I find it almost impossible to play games without an inverted option, It's not something I'm able to just adapt to.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Wemibelle

@GunstarRed said:

I'd heard about the non-invertedness of the game and it was something that has been putting me off getting it. I'd have liked to play it on the 360, but I guess I'm just gonna have to get it in the Steam sale now. I find it almost impossible to play games without an inverted option, It's not something I'm able to just adapt to.

This is odd to me. Do you invert your mouse cursor too? Most of the time in the Walking Dead, that's all the cursor really is.

@myketuna said:

@jasonefmonk said:

I believe Vinny is inverted and maybe Brad? Besides that, the rest are "normies". And they fucking "hate" us (the inverted folk).

Vinny and Drew both play with inverted, pretty sure the rest are normies.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By yoshimitz707
    @myketuna Vinny is but don't insult Brad like that! He would never stoop so low!
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By MikkaQ

@myketuna said:

@jasonefmonk said:

As they should. You guys have your own special circle of hell. Every time you try to look to the right, you look to the left.

lclay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lclay

I think inverted controls are stupid. Push the stick in the direction you want the cursor to move, why would you you want it to do the opposite?

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By myke_tuna

@yoshimitz707 said:

@myketuna Vinny is but don't insult Brad like that! He would never stoop so low!

@MikkaQ said:

@myketuna said:

@jasonefmonk said:

As they should. You guys have your own special circle of hell. Every time you try to look to the right, you look to the left.

The SUPERIOR method will eventually win out. Every few hundred millennia, evolution leaps forward. We already are the better men. *more X-Men movie quotes*

mekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mekon

I can play with non-inverted controls, but I really prefer having inverted controls. It makes sense to me, my game head tilts forward so I'm looking down (maybe a flight sim or an ID shooter habit). Playing with non-inverted comtrols is like using an Etch-A-Sketch to me, which is fine for that but I like the feeling that I push forward to look down. I've no problem with linear shooting gallery games because the camera angle doesn't change that much, and there's few 3D issues with targets at different elevations. I've tried using non-inverted controls with some FPSs, but it always felt awkward and distracted me from the game somehow with FPS games.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@lclay said:

I think inverted controls are stupid. Push the stick in the direction you want the cursor to move, why would you you want it to do the opposite?

For me, it's because I played a lot of flight sims growing up. Joysticks configurations always defaulted to inverted. Luckily, I can acclimate after a while to standard controls, but I'm much more comfortable being upside-down.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Quid_Pro_Bono

@mekon said:

...It makes sense to me, my game head tilts forward so I'm looking down (maybe a flight sim or an ID shooter habit)...

This is totally what it is for me. The first time I touched a controller without inverted controls was the first time I played Halo on my friend's xbox. I asked "Why would you do this. It's insane." It just feels so unnatural.

To be clear, however, I don't invert X-axis. That shit is subhuman.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By InternetDotCom

People are not planes.

fodigga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By fodigga

You guys are crazy

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kerned

@HistoryInRust said:

@lclay said:

For me, it's because I played a lot of flight sims growing up. Joysticks configurations always defaulted to inverted. Luckily, I can acclimate after a while to standard controls, but I'm much more comfortable being upside-down.

Precisely this. I tend to want to "pull down" to look up, as one would in a flight sim. It's just the way I've always done it. I don't invert the x-axis or anything crazy like that (seriously, who is that for?). Back on topic though, I generally can't play games without inverting the y-axis, and I got used to it in this game very quickly. As someone else pointed out, it's basically just a cursor. I don't invert my mouse or trackpad, so it was easy to adapt.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

It's really a non-issue in this game.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LikeaSsur

@lclay said:

No Caption Provided

That's why. Also, wow on getting a refund because of no invert options.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@LikeaSsur said:

@lclay said:

No Caption Provided

Well in non-inverted it feels like you are the character instead of controlling one.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Kerned

@LikeaSsur said:

@lclay said:

No Caption Provided

Oh this is terrific! I'm going to stop trying to explain to people why I invert and just show them this.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gike987

@Kerned said:

@LikeaSsur said:

@lclay said:

No Caption Provided

Oh this is terrific! I'm going to stop trying to explain to people why I invert and just show them this.

If that's the case you should invert the X-axis too. If you move the back of the characters head left he will look right. Only inverting Y-axis ,like most people do, makes no sense.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Kerned

@gike987: It really comes back to airplanes for me. Pull back to go up. Push left to turn left.

I don't understand why non-inverters get so bent out of shape about people inverting. Can't the inverters and non-inverters just live together in peace and harmony? 'Tis the season blah blah blah.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By haggis

@Kerned said:

@gike987: It really comes back to airplanes for me. Pull back to go up. Push left to turn left.

I don't understand why non-inverters get so bent out of shape about people inverting....

It's the internet, that's why. The attitude is completely irrational.

Inversion makes more sense to me, for all the reasons shown above. It's a long-held habit, and virtually no effort at all for a developer to support. There's no excuse to leave it out, and so when it is left out (pretty rare, actually) it bugs the hell out of me. I got used to it for this game, but when things became tense I sometimes screwed up because instinct had me moving the stick in the wrong direction. I'm hoping for Season 2, Telltale fixes this and adds inversion as an option.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By eccentrix

@jasonefmonk said:

I want a similar experience that I got from playing Heavy Rain. I want to be immersed and not be worried about the accuracy of what I'm doing. When I have to make quick decisions I want the response to be natural and intuitive.

I don't invert my controls and the action parts never felt natural or intuitive to me in this game. I was always fully aware of the buttons I was pressing.

jasonefmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jasonefmonk

Just wanted to come back and say that after playing through episode one, I ended up purchasing the rest of the season and finished it last night. For the most part the reticle isn't attached to your character in any meaningful way. It really does move around like a cursor as said.

That was a fun and powerful experience. There were a few instances where frame hitches caused me to miss actionable moments and I had to re-load. That sucked but I still loved the experience. I don't know that this has as much player agency as Heavy Rain but it's story is better told and without loose ends.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By 49th

Turn the controller upside down.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bell_End

@LikeaSsur said:

@lclay said:

No Caption Provided

do left and right gt inverted too.

kre8havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kre8havoc

@jasonefmonk said:

@HistoryInRust said:

That's good to hear, however I don't think I overreacted by requesting a refund. I would not have bought it if I had known before hand; I think that's pretty telling. I want a similar experience that I got from playing Heavy Rain. I want to be immersed and not be worried about the accuracy of what I'm doing. When I have to make quick decisions I want the response to be natural and intuitive. I don't want to be loading a save because I didn't do what I intended at a crucial moment. Not playing inverted y-axis is tough for me, it's how I've always played.

To me it qualifies as broken, and maybe that is my overstep. But I see it as a necessary accommodation like left handed control options and subtitles.

What you are worried about is not really too frequent in the game. All the crucial moments where I died loaded me right back at the moment where it killed me. Controls are actually a very small part of the game. The crucial stuff is the snap decisions you have to make and those are mostly done on the d-pad. If you have a pc that can run it, perhaps try it on there, it's on sale right now on steam, and if you prefer the controller you can always plug in an xbox controller if you have one.

jasonefmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jasonefmonk

@kre8havoc: Thanks for the reply, but already went ahead and found out for myself. I finished the game on PS3. I posted somewhere above you.

@jasonefmonk said:

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By clush

Controlling the action in this game sucks regardless of inversion settings. That said, non inverted master race!

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Why would you need inverted controls, it may as well be a mouse cursor. Do you turn you mouse back to front when you are on a computer?

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By napalm

I don't understand non-inversion. The analog stick isn't a mouse. You don't rest your hand on it and move a cursor free-flow. You're controlling a head, basically. Pull down to look up, pull up to look down. A mouse is a mouse, and a cursor is a cursor. Nothing needs to be inverted in that scenario, and The Walking Dead isn't an issue without it, luckily.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#39  Edited By MildMolasses

@Napalm said:

I don't understand non-inversion. The analog stick isn't a mouse. You don't rest your hand on it and move a cursor free-flow. You're controlling a head, basically. Pull down to look up, pull up to look down. A mouse is a mouse, and a cursor is a cursor. Nothing needs to be inverted in that scenario, and The Walking Dead isn't an issue without it, luckily.

That is true. However there was a shooting sequence in ep.3 where that did become an issue, and boy was it frustrating

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.