Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Walking Dead

Game » consists of 41 releases. Released Nov 21, 2012

Presenting an original story in the same franchise as the comic book series of the same name, The Walking Dead is a five-part adventure game from Telltale that follows the story of a convicted murderer, his guardianship over a young girl, and his co-operation with a roaming group of survivors in a zombie apocalypse.

Most overrated 2012

• 145 results
    sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By sdharrison

@ValiantGrizzly said:

"All these other people's opinions are clearly wrong, they are simply too dumb to describe the quality of this game - I alone am capable of this." This thread, in a sentence.

Actually I'm just expressing my opinion about other opinions and people are giving their opinions of that opinion about opinions and none of it matters because subjective opinions are not objective and other INTERNET STUFF

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By probablytuna

For me, it's not about whether the choices mattered, it's not even the story necessarily, but the characters that makes the game for me. The way Telltale was able to make Lee a conflicted character who cannot always choose between making a "Good" choice or an "Evil" choice is also commendable. I think game developers should stop focusing on morality choices and just focus on making "human" choices, for the lack of a better term.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MariachiMacabre said:

Ugh. This again.

BUT BUT MY OPINIONS DIFFERENT AND IT MUST BE HEARD!

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By sdharrison

@EveretteScott said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

Ugh. This again.

BUT BUT MY OPINIONS DIFFERENT AND IT MUST BE HEARD!

Thank god for message boards, right?

valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#105  Edited By valiantgrizzly
    @sdharrison

@ValiantGrizzly said:

"All these other people's opinions are clearly wrong, they are simply too dumb to describe the quality of this game - I alone am capable of this." This thread, in a sentence.

Actually I'm just expressing my opinion about other opinions and people are giving their opinions of that opinion about opinions and none of it matters because subjective opinions are not objective and other INTERNET STUFF

Exactly. Which contradicts the entire basis for your thread. "Overrated" is the absolute worst moniker for expressing opinion. It's a meaningless word solely used to stir up commotion and spark flame wars on message boards. Calling something "overrated" heavily implies everyone else is wrong, and you yourself are the only one who can see through the façade.

In short, you're probably a really great dude, but this thread sucks.
    sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By sdharrison

@ValiantGrizzly said:

@sdharrison

@ValiantGrizzly said:

Exactly. Which contradicts the entire basis for your thread. "Overrated" is the absolute worst moniker for expressing opinion. It's a meaningless word solely used to stir up commotion and spark flame wars on message boards. Calling something "overrated" heavily implies everyone else is wrong, and you yourself are the only one who can see through the façade. In short, you're probably a really great dude, but this thread sucks.

No I mean it was literally rated too highly by the gaming press. With their stars, and numbers. I'm not sure how else to say that... Would it offend you less if I said "The gaming journos reviewed this wrong and here's why"

Because that's what I'm saying, too. This kind of thing happens in film all the damn time - I don't understand why it's so insanely controversial and offensive to do it with a video game. I don't think people think Shakespeare In Love deserved the Oscar over Saving Private Ryan. But it was overrated, and the Academy did it wrong.

I think that TWD received praise unbecoming of it's actual merit. So I made a thread on the internet to talk about it. If you don't dig it, you're totally free to read deadspin or cracked. I didn't break into your house, nut punch you, and shove a laptop under your nose with this thread open. That would be offensive and illegal.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#107  Edited By StarvingGamer

@sdharrison: Like I said, you're welcome to have all the opinions you want about the game. My only points of contention are your insistence that your opinions are objective truths and your delusion that the gaming press completely ignored the game's shortcomings when assigning their ratings when in reality they acknowledged those shortcomings explicitly and felt the game still succeeded despite its failings.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By sdharrison

Here's an objective truth:

The game goes out of its way to tell you that what you do as a player tailors the story of the game. Then it proceeds to alert you whenever a character will "remember" something - hinting at a future consequence.

Those promises end up either being completely bogus, or only passingly true of dialog flavor. The claims made by Telltale at the start of every chapter are AT BEST misleading.

What is left is a straight forward linear interactive movie occasionally broken up by quicktime events and sequences that require picking up items or triggering dialog to continue.

That isn't game of the year. Doesn't hold up. I get that it made you cry. I got choked up with the Duck stuff, too - but the objective reality is that the game is largely devoid of gameplay and dishonest in it's marketing and presentation. That's reality. If that doesn't bother you and it's your GOTY, then you're the one being subjective. Objectively, this game was overrated. Happy?

Of course you aren't, because you're subjectively disagreeing with me lol

And also, I've read all the replies here tonight - nobody is making an objective case for this game. You're obsessed with the semantics, so take a look at the arguments in favor of this being GOTY and all the praise. "It made me feel a certain way". So subjectively, people love it because it tugs at the heart strings. While they freely admit that objectively, it has light mechanics and doesn't keep its own promises to the player. Who's really being objective here? In fact, I'll take your argument one further:

The gaming press judged this game subjectively as opposed to objectively and thus did a poor job critically. My objective feeling after completing it was that if you remove subjective interpretation, the game does not hold up objectively.

ZAM.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By sdharrison

I'm declaring victory for objective realists worldwide and calling it a night.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By StarvingGamer

@sdharrison: Objectively, the game uses a lot of smoke and mirrors to provide the illusion of choice. This is a form of game design that is not inherently good or bad. Subjectively, you do not find this sort of storytelling fulfilling. Many others do. Do you really not see the difference?

Your crazy ranting about being "lied to" aside, there is not a single point you have made that proves TWD is objectively overrated. It's like saying that the sky is objectively ugly because you don't like blue.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By StarvingGamer

@sdharrison said:

My objective feeling after completing it was that if you remove subjective interpretation, the game does not hold up objectively.

Feelings are, by definition, not objective.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By sdharrison

Checking back in on the cult of TWD. Update:

The game is overrated.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#113  Edited By project343

@sdharrison said:

The game is overrated.

Can you give it a rest already? Clearly your thread is dead, and you have the majority standing against you.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Cold_Wolven

If that's how you feel about then okay, I will agree that choices are just an illusion which kinda bummed me out when I rewound certain episodes to see if I could make a difference.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By sdharrison

@project343 said:

@sdharrison said:

The game is overrated.

Can you give it a rest already? Clearly your thread is dead, and you have the majority standing against you.

I know, it seems a lot of people are extremely uncomfortable with this topic. Nevertheless - TWD was overpraised despite some significant flaws. Want me to list them?

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#116  Edited By Dookysharpgun

I agree that the game is, for the most part, highly overrated. In episode 3 you see the full extent of the meandering path you're forced to take, with an opening section that means nothing in the narrative, and an end that is, quite frankly, insane given the events of episode 2 - the game simply doesn't follow a path of logic and survival...for christ's sake, in chapter 2 we literally see what a nice family does to people in this new world, and in chapter 3, everyone is ok with a hobo who gives people candy...jesus. Technical issues are apparent, there are plenty of issues, and while it made my GOTY list, that's only because I hadn't played that many games last year.

A point I think you should note, about this thread in general and this site at large: if you 'insult' a game that a lot of people love, they will come hard, and they'll come fast, looking for blood. I made that mistake several times, and all you're going to get is circular logic and bullshit about objectivity and subjectivity, and it's going to be frustrating because all of a sudden, what you say is suddenly invalid because of reasons. A majority may be standing against you, but six pages in I've only seen the same limp-wristed defence of the game coming from everyone, with nobody actually engaging with anything you've brought up. Give it six months and more people will emerge to point out flaws in the game...fuck's sake, it took the best part of a year and a half to bash the most recent Final Fantasy games, and Deus Ex: HR...I know you want to beat back people who're being difficult, but unfortunatley, this is, at least in my experience, this site. Just look at the Dead Island Riptide thread from yesterday...that's just depressing.

rynbeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#117  Edited By rynbeed
    @Dookysharpgun

I agree that the game is, for the most part, highly overrated. In episode 3 you see the full extent of the meandering path you're forced to take, with an opening section that means nothing in the narrative, and an end that is, quite frankly, insane given the events of episode 2 - the game simply doesn't follow a path of logic and survival...for christ's sake, in chapter 2 we literally see what a nice family does to people in this new world, and in chapter 3, everyone is ok with a hobo who gives people candy...jesus. Technical issues are apparent, there are plenty of issues, and while it made my GOTY list, that's only because I hadn't played that many games last year.

A point I think you should note, about this thread in general and this site at large: if you 'insult' a game that a lot of people love, they will come hard, and they'll come fast, looking for blood. I made that mistake several times, and all you're going to get is circular logic and bullshit about objectivity and subjectivity, and it's going to be frustrating because all of a sudden, what you say is suddenly invalid because of reasons. A majority may be standing against you, but six pages in I've only seen the same limp-wristed defence of the game coming from everyone, with nobody actually engaging with anything you've brought up. Give it six months and more people will emerge to point out flaws in the game...fuck's sake, it took the best part of a year and a half to bash the most recent Final Fantasy games, and Deus Ex: HR...I know you want to beat back people who're being difficult, but unfortunatley, this is, at least in my experience, this site. Just look at the Dead Island Riptide thread from yesterday...that's just depressing.

Give this man a cookie!
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#118  Edited By project343

@sdharrison said:

I know, it seems a lot of people are extremely uncomfortable with this topic. Nevertheless - TWD was overpraised despite some significant flaws. Want me to list them?

No thanks. I'm pretty sure you've already gabbled out those same points like 15 times now, and plenty of people have already given really solid counter-arguments. I think this is a good resting place.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By sdharrison

@project343 said:

@sdharrison said:

No thanks. I'm pretty sure you've already gabbled out those same points like 15 times now, and plenty of people have already given really solid counter-arguments. I think this is a good resting place.

What solid counter arguments are you talking about? Did I miss the part where somebody disproved the fact that the game shipped broken technically on multiple platforms and was deliberately misleading about player choice?

Oh you must be referring to the semantic debate about objective and subjective. Yeah, that was meaningful.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By StarvingGamer

@sdharrison: As long as one person walked away with a clearer understanding of objective vs. subjective (and clearly it wasn't you), then yes, it was meaningful.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By sdharrison

Nah, it wasn't.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#122  Edited By PixelPrinny

You're not wrong, but did this need a thread? Okay, so you were underwhelmed, great. So was I. I still enjoyed it, as did you by the sounds of it. So what's the point in creating a stand-offish thread about it?

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By tunaburn

i disagree. opinions

meaninoflife42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#124  Edited By meaninoflife42

I played it on PC and didn't get any problems and I thought it was a fantastic "game."

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By sdharrison

@PixelPrinny said:

You're not wrong, but did this need a thread? Okay, so you were underwhelmed, great. So was I. I still enjoyed it, as did you by the sounds of it. So what's the point in creating a stand-offish thread about it?

I exist because I am. I am because I exist. This thread is because it exists. Phil Jackson.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By PixelPrinny

@sdharrison said:

@PixelPrinny said:

I exist because I am. I am because I exist. This thread is because it exists. Phil Jackson.

So ultimately, what you're saying is there is no point to this thread. Alright then. Well as long as you learn from your mistakes. :)

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#127  Edited By Atlas

I'm in that weird position where I thought it was a really good game and found it enthralling and engrossing...but I still agree it was the most overrated and overhyped games of the year, if not the generation. People who talk about that game as something special and a landmark moment for the medium seem strange to me, as the story was great by video game standards but still is inconsistent and cliched, and there are too many moments where characters make arbitrary decisions out of nowhere. And the action sequences are uniformly awful. You have to admire the ambition, but it's still a very flawed experience. And I say that as someone who played the game on its best platform (PC) and didn't have any technical issues.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By ripelivejam

beats the shit out of that other "game" Heavy Rain just for having a good story alone.

e: and actually palatable voice acting.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#129  Edited By C0V3RT

I played it, loved it, it was my GOTY. As I find myself removed from the game and no longer am chomping at the bit for the latest episode to release, I've had the opportunity reflect back on it my experience and read others thoughts on the game who don't seem to think as highly of it such as yourself. While I wouldn't speak as fondly of it as I did then, I certainly wouldn't call it overrated by any means and would disagree isn't personally my most overrated game of 2012 (which is Asura's Wrath...but that's neither here nor there).

One thing that stuck out to me is I believe you said you played it after all the GOTY podcats and awards and accolades the game received and what not? Going in cold, I can totally see how hard it would be to have the game live up to the expectations and hype. Additionally, part of the experience for me was anxiously waiting 30 to 50 days between episodes and agonizing over where the story was headed. I'm not sure how long it took you to get through the season, but can absolutely see how burning through an entire season in the span of a week could sour your opinion. The game play isn't necessarily engaging and would burn me out and bore probably after an episode without a real palate cleanser.

To each their own though.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#130  Edited By TheHBK

I sat down to watch the Season Finale of the first season of the show. I threw my hands up and said, this is fucking stupid.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By ripelivejam

@TheHBK said:

I sat down to watch the Season Finale of the first season of the show. I threw my hands up and said, this is fucking stupid.

yeah especially considering how fucking far they went out of their way to deviate from the comic in the 1st season with a bunch of characters nobody gave a shit about and the whole CDC plotline , then it seems like they're scrambling in the 2nd and 3rd seasons to make it match more closely the comic everyone knows and loves. i'd say they got a BETTER handle on it in the 3rd season but it's still pretty middling. The Governor was just completely wasted IMO.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By sdharrison

@Atlas said:

I'm in that weird position where I thought it was a really good game and found it enthralling and engrossing...but I still agree it was the most overrated and overhyped games of the year, if not the generation. People who talk about that game as something special and a landmark moment for the medium seem strange to me, as the story was great by video game standards but still is inconsistent and cliched, and there are too many moments where characters make arbitrary decisions out of nowhere. And the action sequences are uniformly awful. You have to admire the ambition, but it's still a very flawed experience. And I say that as someone who played the game on its best platform (PC) and didn't have any technical issues.

Agreed. The strangest thing is that there are NO voices of dissent in the media about it. Usually most critically acclaimed hits have one or two "Mehs". But no, not TWD. Perfection.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/the-walking-dead-a-telltale-games-series

Check around the PC versions and PS3 versions too - all perfect. Every podcast, article and GOTY discussion I kept track of had TWD as a non discussion shoe in for a top slot. It was an attitude of "Well obviously we all agree TWD was a landmark achievement in gaming"

As you said, this all seems strange to me. Not even ONE "Hey, it's okay but no masterpeice 7/10"? The absolute uniformity of the praise was at such odds with the product itself. I agree, I can't think of a game recently that has gotten more hype and acclaim for doing so little.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By sdharrison

@Dookysharpgun:

Went and poked around Deus Ex HR forum and it is indeed another example of this. The game had some pretty hilarious and apparent problems, but there was a small army to shout down any detractors. Energy bars and man sized vents GOTY

evilb0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By evilb0y

The Walking Dead is an awesome game, I like the story, graphics, cut-scene very much. But your choices don't really matter in the game, different choices could lead to different dialogs or different NPC reaction, but the main storyline is still the same

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#135  Edited By tourgen

It was a cool visual novel with generally good writing and great voice acting. I hope we see more stuff like it. But yep, agree with most of your points as far as the actual game goes. A great experience, not a great game.

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Dookysharpgun

@rynbeed: ...is this a real cookie, or a hypothetical cookie?

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Dookysharpgun

@sdharrison: Don't even get me started, I've ranted before about that game, was a huge let down, but if you disliked it you were the devil. Don't worry about it, people on this site oftentimes forget about the 'community' aspects that apparently make it so comfortable to navigate. You'll find some people in the community who actually want to, you know, talk about games, but it'll take a while.

smitty86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By smitty86

I find interesting the contrast between the apparent acceptance of the attaching of Walking Dead for its various bugs and glitches and the lack of attacking of Skyrim last year. Didn't stop that game from being GOTY for people even though it was practically unplayable on the Ps3.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#139  Edited By Tesla

@sdharrison said:

@Dookysharpgun:

Went and poked around Deus Ex HR forum and it is indeed another example of this. The game had some pretty hilarious and apparent problems, but there was a small army to shout down any detractors. Energy bars and man sized vents GOTY

Energy bars and man sized vents seem like nitpicky things to me, hopefully you had more to your argument. Otherwise, you deserved to get shut down.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By sdharrison

@smitty86 said:

I find interesting the contrast between the apparent acceptance of the attaching of Walking Dead for its various bugs and glitches and the lack of attacking of Skyrim last year. Didn't stop that game from being GOTY for people even though it was practically unplayable on the Ps3.

I agree - that should have been a way bigger issue than it was. Skyrim was obviously a much deeper and richer game, but it had its share of massive issues as well that just got glossed over.

It seems like once the ball gets rolling on hype, the entire bay area journo industry falls in line.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By sdharrison

@Tesla said:

@sdharrison said:

@Dookysharpgun:

Energy bars and man sized vents seem like nitpicky things to me, hopefully you had more to your argument. Otherwise, you deserved to get shut down.

I was just being snarky - but that discussion is for another topic

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#142  Edited By BawlZINmotion

@sdharrison: On a technical level I would agree with you, but rolled in with story and character development (cheese and all) I find it addicting. It is not my GOTY, but it is definitely my surprise of 2012. And it is nice to see an adventure game these days, as they are few.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By WickedFather

After the emotional resonances of the Strongbad series this is the weakest dribble of a game to come from the adventuring spout.

icebears4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#144  Edited By icebears4ever

Most overrated game every year will always be the COD games.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By mordukai

@Rainbowkisses said:

Opinion is subjective. How can something be overrated/underrated?

Individual opinions are subjective but the general ones are not. Seems like the general opinion that TWD ( the whole franchise so Comic, TV show, and the game), is the best thing to happen to the world since sliced bread. Personally I don't see it as overrated; just not as good as people make it out to be. Also I am getting tired when people assume I will like TWD.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.