Played through this, wasn't affected too much (it's ok).

#1 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Spoilers ahoy ye matey!

So, I was on a two-week ban and unable to post my thoughts on the series last week as I originally intended, (cc:

#2 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

The reply/last post function is acting funky, so maybe this post will knock it back to normal.

#3 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

Surprised no one has replied. I guess I'll just say I felt the exact same way. I just finished the last three episodes this week after not being able to play many games due to finals. Episode 1 and 2 were awesome. The first one did a great job of introducing the setting and characters, and the second one was super fucked up.

Then, on to Episode 3. I was like "HOLLY SHIT" when Carly got shot, and it was really hard to just leave Lilly there, but I did. Then, the whole thing with Katjaa and Duck was pretty brutal...and from there the game just kind of plodded along until the very end. Everything after Duck dying in Episode 3 was just boring as hell. I was extremely surprised to see the episode on such a positive note. Episode 4 could have been great. It was setting itself up for some big payoffs with the whole Crawford thing, and then nothing happened. Everyone turned out to be a Zombie and the gang escaped with supplies...not very dramatic.

Finally, the setup at the end of Episode 4 made Episode 5 extremely obvious. I saw him dying and having to let Clem go on her own from a mile away. Not to mention the fact that the whole kidnapper guy fell so flat it was kind of hard to watch for me. They tried to make this guy seem insane and it just didn't work for me, and, as someone who reads and watches a lot of fiction, I pretty much knew how the scenario was going to play out from the start. I think they really went safe with the ending there. Imagine if they would have had Clem die in some horrible chain of events...or maybe even have Lee turn on her or something. I mean, they could have done worse, but it was just kind of eh for me.

And one thing about the characters. I think you are totally right about the characters. It was kind of shocking when they killed off the characters they were building up over the course of the game, but that left the ending stale with characters you didn't really care about. Not only that, but the only character they decided to keep from the first episode to the last was Kenny, and that guy is just a fucking asshole who I didn't give a fuck about.

When Episode 5 was released, I had only played Episode 2 and loved it. So, when everyone was freaking out about this game, I was expecting more of what I got in Episode 2. As it turns out, everything after the beginning of Episode 3 was kind of boring. It's not a bad story/game/whatever by any means, but I definitely don't think it's some masterpiece of narrative genius or something.

#4 Posted by AmatureIdiot (984 posts) -

@DoctorWelch said:

Surprised no one has replied. I guess I'll just say I felt the exact same way. I just finished the last three episodes this week after not being able to play many games due to finals. Episode 1 and 2 were awesome. The first one did a great job of introducing the setting and characters, and the second one was super fucked up.

Then, on to Episode 3. I was like "HOLLY SHIT" when Carly got shot, and it was really hard to just leave Lilly there, but I did. Then, the whole thing with Katjaa and Duck was pretty brutal...and from there the game just kind of plodded along until the very end. Everything after Duck dying in Episode 3 was just boring as hell. I was extremely surprised to see the episode on such a positive note. Episode 4 could have been great. It was setting itself up for some big payoffs with the whole Crawford thing, and then nothing happened. Everyone turned out to be a Zombie and the gang escaped with supplies...not very dramatic.

Finally, the setup at the end of Episode 4 made Episode 5 extremely obvious. I saw him dying and having to let Clem go on her own from a mile away. Not to mention the fact that the whole kidnapper guy fell so flat it was kind of hard to watch for me. They tried to make this guy seem insane and it just didn't work for me, and, as someone who reads and watches a lot of fiction, I pretty much knew how the scenario was going to play out from the start. I think they really went safe with the ending there. Imagine if they would have had Clem die in some horrible chain of events...or maybe even have Lee turn on her or something. I mean, they could have done worse, but it was just kind of eh for me.

And one thing about the characters. I think you are totally right about the characters. It was kind of shocking when they killed off the characters they were building up over the course of the game, but that left the ending stale with characters you didn't really care about. Not only that, but the only character they decided to keep from the first episode to the last was Kenny, and that guy is just a fucking asshole who I didn't give a fuck about.

When Episode 5 was released, I had only played Episode 2 and loved it. So, when everyone was freaking out about this game, I was expecting more of what I got in Episode 2. As it turns out, everything after the beginning of Episode 3 was kind of boring. It's not a bad story/game/whatever by any means, but I definitely don't think it's some masterpiece of narrative genius or something.

Wow. It is crazy that this is almost exactly how I feel, I even played the episodes in the same way. Though all the other characters abandoning me at the end of episode 4 really got to me, all in all the best moments of the game (the food rationing scene, the salt block scene and everything from the fleeing in the RV to Duck dying) are in the episode 2 and 3. The characters just became disposable after episode three; they should of kept the same nucleus of characters through the game, or at least not have had such a bloodbath in episode three and phased the new guys in.

All I have to say extra is that I would of totally sacrificed Clementine for Carley.

#5 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5750 posts) -

I feel weird because I really loved Episode 4 even though it seems to be the least popular one.

one part in particular: sneaking into Crawford expecting it to be heavily guarded by its inhabitants, only to find out that everyone has turned into zombies was especially shocking. The rest of the episode was great too.

As for episode 5, the ending might have been obvious but that didn't detract from it in my opinion. I felt sad going through that whole ordeal, hoping there was some way for Lee to save himself even though in reality I knew it just wasn't possible.

#6 Posted by DarthOrange (3498 posts) -
@FancySoapsMan said:

I feel weird because I really loved Episode 4 even though it seems to be the least popular one.

one part in particular: sneaking into Crawford expecting it to be heavily guarded by its inhabitants, only to find out that everyone has turned into zombies was especially shocking. The rest of the episode was great too.

I am right there with you dude! The whole section at the school was great. Episode 4 was by far the best in the season.
#7 Posted by DaemonBlack (342 posts) -

@FancySoapsMan said:

I thought Crawford incredibly disappointing. I would have much rather seen a functioning society with fucked up rules and how the group would interact with them. Instead, we get yet another place abandoned and overrun with zombies.

#8 Posted by itspizza (420 posts) -

I pretty much agree. Reason why it is farther down on my top 10 list. Everyone is in love with this game's story, and while it starts out great, it definitely has its flaws. Add that to the sub par game mechanics, it ended up being lower on my GOTY list.

#9 Posted by project343 (2807 posts) -

After I lost Carly, all my emotional attention shifted toward Clementine (rather than being split). The dread of not being there for her during that whole episode was the worst, and the idea of her having to go on without me was almost to much to bear. When they set up the final bit where you are the only person left in her life, and she has to leave you to die/kill you... my desk was fucking covered in tears. I don't think I have ever cried that much at any entertainment medium. So I obviously can't sympathize with your stonecold heart. :P

#10 Posted by eccentrix (1428 posts) -

@Napalm said:

I like hearing stuff like this because me and Kenny had a real hot/cold relationship. Most of the time we weren't friends, but by the end we settled our differences in a way that felt a little rushed. Not rushed enough to make it bad, but it felt manufactured, which is good for how varying all of the factors were. The story of our friendship/rivalry felt like it was written as it happened, but other people have talked about how they were best friends with Kenny.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.