Question regarding Shawn (spoilers)

#1 Edited by ToTheNines (830 posts) -

When helping him out building that fence, you have a conversation where he mentions witnessing a boy getting shot in the face, you're left with a couple of responses. I don't recall exactly, but I've chosen two on different playthroughs, one where you mention killing the babysitter and one along the lines of "sometimes it's kill or be killed" where after the game informs me that "Shawn will remember this"

Well, thats great and I'm sure he will. Except Shawn dies 2 mins later, and I found out it's basically unavoidable. So why does the game tell you that? If it carries zero weight in the long run? How many other conversation outcomes happen to be meaningless? I actually played through the game a second time to try and save Shawn, cause I was convinced that you could, because why else would it say that? Granted I would have played it through again anyway. So I'd like to state I'm not complaining at all, just wondering. I think this first act is great and I enjoyed every minute of it and I can't wait for the next one.

#2 Posted by allworkandlowpay (873 posts) -

Man, it would sure suck for the games tension if it telegraphed who lived and who died based on such a tiny game mechanic, right?

#3 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

@allworkandlowpay said:

Man, it would sure suck for the games tension if it telegraphed who lived and who died based on such a tiny game mechanic, right?

This exactly. It's meant to fool you into thinking he survives, I'm sure.

#4 Edited by ToTheNines (830 posts) -

Well, it worked!

But I never expected it to be an insurance of him living the whole thing through, just that it's weird he dies so fast, that it seems pointless. But if it's meant to trick you into thinking that he's gonna live a longer than 2 minutes, then sure it did it's job, least for me.

#5 Posted by Brodehouse (10128 posts) -

He will remember it... IN HELL!

#6 Posted by ToTheNines (830 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

He will remember it... IN HELL!

So we can expect a later episode in hell. Awesome!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.