Questions/Discussion pertaining to episode 2 (spoilers)

#1 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -

Some of these are nitpicky i admit but not in an attempt to suggest the episode was bad, in fact i have tendency to look deeper into things that i really enjoy

Why wouldn't carly/doug and ben bring the rifle back to the house at the end?

How did Andy know the generator stopped working from inside the barn when you took the belt off? 

The gate that Lee and Mark use to escape the bandits was 1) left wide open when they ran back onto the farm and 2) doesn't seem like much of a defense against actual human beings like bandits for example

Anyone know how Jolene fit in with the bandits? At first i thought that campsite was just hers for her and her (kidnapped?) daughter until the i saw she was talking to the bandits on the camera

Do the bandits know that they're eating people? If not, why would Jolene know and not them? Although the dialogue from the bandits might suggest otherwise, do you think it's possible the bandits were shooting at lee and Mark to intentionally keep them on the land/closer to the St. Johns? If so, it implies that they do know they're eating people. 

At the end, Jolene suggests that as long as the bandits keep getting food from the dairy that Clem will be safe. Suggesting that maybe the bandits act as kidnappers (and rapists?) and took her child from her but if so why keep her around?

What do you think the purpose of Jolene's recording was? Who or what was she doing it for?

Do you think the St. Johns and the bandits were in cahoots more so than just a mutual agreement? Do you think Danny truly took Lee to go looking for their camp? I kind of got the feeling that he was purposely going there to tie up some loose ends being that he seemed a bit concerned about the camera.  If Jolene knew about the group being at the motor inn. Maybe the bandits did too? Maybe the bandits gave the St. Johns the tip about the group and had them to go play nice in attempt to get more "food" Or do you think the St. Johns needing gas and stumbling across the group at the Motor Inn was genuine?

Other than just the over all creepy vibe from the family, did anyone catch any discernible clues to suggest that were up to no good before the big reveal? Things i noticed on a second playthrough:

•  After you come back from the camp with Danny, if you talk to him he says something about giving tours to band kids before things went bad. Ben, Travis and their teacher were part of a school band iirc.
  • The traps in the back part of the barn when you first see it are the same as the trap that caught the teacher in the beginning.
#2 Posted by ToTheNines (501 posts) -

and! ....Who the hell is Mark and where did he come from? Where did they get all the guns? dun dun dun..

#3 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -
@JacobShOckgosu: for real...he's just suddenly there with no real explanation other than he brought food within the last 3 months. Why no back story...What is he? Chopped liver?!....*puts head down in shame* ok i'll stop

Also how would have Jolene got Clem's hat if someone is supposedly on watch all the time at the Motor Inn
#4 Posted by IzzyGraze (838 posts) -

Well the generator part is easy enough to explain. It's probably really freakin loud.

The rest I'm not sure. For a while there I thought Jolene was Clem's mom, something Jolene said before getting shot. But I guess Jolene just missed her daughter so much that she was projecting that onto Clem?

#5 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -
@IzzyGraze: yeah that makes sense about the generator. 

Yeah, i didn't think that was Clem's mom at all. The minute i saw she had Clem's hat i knew it was a stranger that took it and when she finally showed up and saw her i knew she was just some crazy woman who was probably missing/searching for her own kid.
#6 Posted by Fripplebubby (1027 posts) -

Mark is the guy with glasses, right?

He mentions that they rescued him from an army base, and it is hinted at that he was in the military. This all happened in the 3 months between episodes 1 and 2, and I would guess that the guns came from said military base.

I'm not sure why the bandits just stopped attacking after Lee and Mark ran inside the gate. That doesn't make much sense.

Total speculation, but I don't think that Jolene was Clem's mom because that would be some really lazy writing.

I also think that the St. Johns genuinely wanted to fuck up the bandits and the bandits genuinely wanted to fuck them up in return. The bandits were yelling that the St. Johns "didn't honor their agreement" when they attacked, so perhaps they discovered the cannibalism link and decided that the St. Johns giving them human meat violated their agreement? I dunno, and it probably doesn't matter.

#7 Posted by hankrazorbeard (50 posts) -

Other foreshadowing: when you go out to check the perimeter with Mark at the beginning of the episode, in one of the conversation trees he tells Lee that if they hadn't saved him from whatever military facility he was a part of because if they hadn't he 'would probably be food by now'.

#8 Edited by RollingZeppelin (1857 posts) -

@hankrazorbeard said:

Other foreshadowing: when you go out to check the perimeter with Mark at the beginning of the episode, in one of the conversation trees he tells Lee that if they hadn't saved him from whatever military facility he was a part of because if they hadn't he 'would probably be food by now'.

It's not really foreshadowing when most people end up as zombie food.

@hbkdx12: Most of your points are plot holes that I noticed as well. About the gate, the St. Johns probably knew that their defences would not keep the bandits out, which is why they had to strike a deal with them. I guess the occasional zombie that got through the gate could be taken care of rather easily while the others ran into the fence.

It was clear (to me) that the bandits were kidnappers and rapists when we confronted Jolene. I don't think they kept her around, my thinking is that she killed the ones that took her daughter and then took off to that camp. The ones in that video were bandits that went looking for her which she also killed.

She sounded pretty insane in the video recording so she could have made it for no reason at all.

As for clues to the cannibalism I got a very creepy vibe from Danny from the start. When he shot Jolene to shut her up it was becoming clearer. I definitely knew they were cannibals or at least murderers when searching the barn, one of the stalls contained a tub of nasty smelling and bloody clothes from several people.

#9 Posted by Janezcky (6 posts) -

So what part was that when Lee killed someone in the second episodes preview? Scene was from some other characters POV. Character yelled "LEEEE" or something like that.

That didn't happen during my playthrough of ep.2

Was it the teacher?

#10 Posted by DJJoeJoe (1291 posts) -

I'm so glad that I've got whatever mindset I have that allows me to easily skip over these obviously bothersome points. I generally never notice things like this when others do and I feel I get a way better experience overall, or am an easier conduit to emotions in media because of it.

I'm a big wimp, and I gave up on explaining shit a long time ago in entertainment cause I can't tell the difference between what the nit picky viewer wants and what is best for them. Do you really care what happens in X situation that you think is illogical? Where is your line of contention when we are talking about something that is fake? Why aren't zombies a point of contention right out of the gate, sure it's going to the extreme of 'why do you even put up with ANYTHING' but where is the line here, for me there is no line at all and it's all the same (or my line is fuckin' hella low maybe). Possibly I'm more willing to accept the magic and just take whatever they are queueing me up to feel, crying at set musical queues and such in almost all mediocre films I've ever seen for example.

As a note here, when something like this happens in the game:

I'm not thinking what you are, instead I'm basically just taking their word for it and only reading into 'tone' and nothing else for the most part. The tone will set my expectations and not my own narrative that I'm construction along side the action on screen, which is what seems like you guys are doing when you find issues with 'plot holes'. Why didn't so and so take the rifle inside? Iunno, ask him that... people don't behave based on your thinking always and in fact most of the time people are weird as fuck with their own messed up reasons for doing and not doing things.

@Fripplebubby said:

I'm not sure why the bandits just stopped attacking after Lee and Mark ran inside the gate. That doesn't make much sense.

They could have been regrouping, I had no troubles believing them stopping the attack. I mean obviously if you stop the game at that point and ask why they stopped you'd have an issue, but I'm opperating under the assumption that these characters have been living more than then 5minutes they've been on screen, and there have been events in that time before that is informing their actions (for instance, why they are attacking in the first place instead of working together for the good of human kind against the gosh dang zombies). Not enough time passes afterwards to think anything either, if they were to stay at the dairy for days and hear nothing of the bandits then yea... even I would start to wonder what's up with the bandits. Honestly though my mind would wander to them maybe being killed off by zombies though, before thinking it's some plot hole I've discovered or whatever.

@Fripplebubby said:

Total speculation, but I don't think that Jolene was Clem's mom because that would be some really lazy writing.

Yes, this is relatively straight forward I thought. The woman is crazy, super crazy in the head from being raped by the bandits.. and prolly from zombies too, that's pretty fucked up also. Her craziness is telegraphed pretty clearly. Also if you guys wanna play the logic game and think about things like you are you'd remember Clem's parents are hecka far away, unless you wanna think they traveled back in record time (it's implied they are far away, and heavily implied they are heavily dead)

Anyways, if you can't tell by now I'm poking my head in here and talking about this stuff this way cause I have no idea why it doesn't bother me and I think it would be rad to nail it down and figure it out.

#11 Posted by invadernick (260 posts) -

Just gone done with it. Holy shit what a great game! I had to stop after I chopped the teacher's leg off, it was really disturbing to me and the gore really did it's part. I think it was kinda creepy how it got easier and easier it was to make those horrible decisions for me. Maybe I'm just a horrible person :(

#12 Posted by Murdouken (707 posts) -

@Janezcky said:

So what part was that when Lee killed someone in the second episodes preview? Scene was from some other characters POV. Character yelled "LEEEE" or something like that.

That didn't happen during my playthrough of ep.2

Was it the teacher?

It was indeed the teacher, I think. You can cut off his leg if you want, and you get that shot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.