Shane Satterfield doesn't think TWD deserves to be GOTY.

#1 Edited by kishinfoulux (2508 posts) -
#2 Posted by VisariLoyalist (3000 posts) -

I'm thinking you don't like the guy for other reasons, which is fine, it's supposed to be entertainment mostly anyways these shows. Just kind of strange for you to drum up this one position as something to be really upset over.

#3 Edited by Sumbog (506 posts) -

TWD... TWD... Total War... No... I think you mean the walking dead? I'm gonna go with the walking dead. That really confused me, you should clarify.

And It dosn't, Crusader Kings II 4 lyfe mf'ers

Also Kerbal Space program

Also Xcom

Also it would be a totally valid opinion for someone to consider Walking Dead their favorite game of the year, but is it so wrong its not in my top 5? I've only played a bit, but its just not the best experience of the year for me.

Watched video, his opinion is a bit old in nature, but it still has some validity. You shouldn't get so pissy about it, his opinion is his opinion. He didn't say it was bad, in fact he said it was great, but he just thinks game of the year should be reserved for the bigger games because of the sheer effort put into them.

#4 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

wait....are you saying a guy out there has an opinion?

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
He's got a point.
#6 Posted by FinalDasa (2046 posts) -

He has an opinion, so what?

It is wrong because his point is a bit dumb saying a short game can't be GOTY. But just don't watch him or let it slide because it's his opinion and you can't change it.

Moderator Online
#7 Posted by ADarkMatter (135 posts) -

Who?

#8 Edited by Willin (1285 posts) -

Walking Dead probably won't be my Game of the Year because it's technically fucked.

Are you going to make a separate post about me?

#9 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@FinalDasa said:

He has an opinion, so what?

It is wrong because his point is a bit dumb saying a short game can't be GOTY. But just don't watch him or let it slide because it's his opinion and you can't change it.

The Walking Dead isn't even short. It's at least 12 hours of content which is more than the majority of games these days. Hilariously silly.

and OP, I don't think it does either. Why? Persona 4 Golden.

okok, strictly speaking Persona 4 is a 2008 game, so looking at it that way then sure I'd give it to The Walking Dead as it's a 100% 2012 release.

#10 Posted by HistoryInRust (6401 posts) -

Rabble, rabble. Disagree and burn for it.

This is nonsense. Nothing is revered by everyone. Time to move on.

#11 Posted by verbalmedal (55 posts) -

he is a moron. the walking dead 4 life mother suckers

#12 Posted by laserbolts (5365 posts) -

No idea who he is and no idea who are. I do know that this thread is ridiculous and unnecessary though. Why do you care?

#13 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

TWD is longer than most retail games. The guy picked the wrong thing to complain about. I loved it but bit had a ton of issues technically for me. It also isn't a game for the most part. The forced action sequences are terrible for the most part. If he argued with fair points then I'd be all for it.

#14 Posted by FinalDasa (2046 posts) -

@Sooty: If you buy all the episodes. And he mentioned specifically games with 100+ hours of multiplier in "AAA" titles compared to one playthrough games like Walking Dead. I absolutely disagree with him and his views just seem to be not from playing games but on paper, and the show feels like it's trying to appeal to the every gamer and not users of GB.

Moderator Online
#15 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4701 posts) -

I think is it silly to hold a game back because it is short. How long the game lasts is not an indicator of quality. Otherwise Resident Evil 6 would be 12 times the games Journey is and that is far from the case.

#16 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3085 posts) -

It doesn't deserve to be game of the year. This guy I've never heard of is right.

#17 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

I think it doesn't deserve it because the puzzles are boring

#18 Posted by Spoonman671 (4769 posts) -

And he's right.  What's your point?

#19 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@Spoonman671 said:

And he's right. What's your point?

that his reason is a shitty reason (I agree with this)

its still not worth a thread though

#20 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@FinalDasa said:

@Sooty: If you buy all the episodes.

Well of course, nobody is going to consider it for GOTY on the basis of a single episode, that's like playing 2 chapters of Uncharted.

#21 Posted by triple07 (1198 posts) -

Can we stop using acronyms all the fucking time? I have no idea what people are talking about when every fucking game name is now an acronym. I mean I get it if you want to use it in the title but please clarify at some point in the post.

Also why do you care? People have different opinions all the time.

#22 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12106 posts) -

I don't particularly think The Walking Dead deserves to be GOTY either, but I don't see people making a thread about me.

#23 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

He's got a point.

I... finished this game and told myself that I didn't like it... Why do I have some weird nostalgia for it just from seeing a screen shot? Shit. I broke my brain. I'm one of them, now.

#24 Posted by Soffish (139 posts) -

Yeah, I think it's a bit silly overlook or look down upon games like Journey and The Walking Dead simply because they're smaller in scope. That being said Shane Satterfield has always put a strangely large emphasis on the length/replay value of games, so at least he's consistent.

#25 Posted by liako21 (527 posts) -

I dont think it should win game of the year though...should it? I dont know...It will definitely be on mostly everyone top 10 list.

Personally Xcom has it.

#26 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

I'm one of them, now.

A brony? You're a brony, aren't you? You're definitely a brony.

#27 Posted by FinalDasa (2046 posts) -

@Sooty: Don't tell me, tell him lol I just don't think getting so heated over another person's opinion is unnecessary. I really need to finish Walking Dead don't I? I played the 1st episode and that's it.

Moderator Online
#28 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

I don't hold Shane Satterfield's opinions in high regard. 'Nuff said. Same goes for Marcus Beer...

Quite like everybody else at Gametrailers though, editorial-staff-wise.

#29 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@TooWalrus said:

I'm one of them, now.

Nooooo no no. No. No. Noooooooooooooo. Not one of them. One of... you know. Them.

I went to the bookstore the other day to pick up a copy of The Hobbit (the movie's out soon, and I haven't read the book since I was 12 years old). The fantasy section was directly across from the Manga section. I picked up a super thick collection of Dragonball manga, flipped through it and thought to myself. I want this. Why do I want this?

#30 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@TooWalrus:

Except I don't read manga and I'm one of them :|.

#31 Posted by RazielCuts (2986 posts) -

@Sooty said:

@FinalDasa said:

@Sooty: If you buy all the episodes.

Well of course, nobody is going to consider it for GOTY on the basis of a single episode, that's like playing 2 chapters of Uncharted.

I do think this gives them an edge over other non episodic games though as they were able to bend and weave the games after player feedback from month to month (I'm not saying this is a bad thing, win/win for everyone involved). Where as something like Halo 4 or Dishonored or hell, even Journey were developed in a vacuum and then just released to the public whole hog.

#32 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1253 posts) -

The whole VGAs are bs for awards. The Walking Dead is the only game to deserve to be the, the other 4, no one. Who the fuck voted for ME3?

#33 Edited by Wraxend (570 posts) -

You'd with think Shane being in charge of GameTrailers he'd be a bit more open minded to different games whether that be different art style, playing mechanics or length of the game itself. Luckily I only go to GT for either the trailers or PachAttack and the BonusRounds without him as he is an idiot.

The only opinions I truly trust on the internet are the GB crews.

#34 Edited by believer258 (12184 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@TooWalrus said:

I'm one of them, now.

Nooooo no no. No. No. Noooooooooooooo. Not one of them. One of... you know. Them.

I went to the bookstore the other day to pick up a copy of The Hobbit (the movie's out soon, and I haven't read the book since I was 12 years old). The fantasy section was directly across from the Manga section. I picked up a super thick collection of Dragonball manga, flipped through it and thought to myself. I want this. Why do I want this?

So a brony would be worse than an otaku?

You seem to have found your introductory drug. Pretty soon you'll be making anime recommendation threads and watching bad fansubs in low resolution on shady websites. You'll fill your iPod with JPop and try to talk in garbled Japanese.

#35 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

@believer258: Yes to the first, and I certainly hope so to the second.

#36 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

Out of curiosity the people on here who don't think it deserves game of the year what on that list does?

#37 Posted by hwy_61 (943 posts) -

Who?

#38 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@believer258:

He'll also be trying to teach himself what, "何だよ!?" means so he doesn't have to deal with the subs. (Just the subs.)

#39 Posted by kishinfoulux (2508 posts) -

As expected people took things at face value. He can not like the game just fine. To say it doesn't deserve to be because it's not a big budget game is fucking stupid.

#40 Posted by Jay_Ray (1127 posts) -

@hidys said:

Out of curiosity the people on here who don't think it deserves game of the year what on that list does?

For me TWD should be in the top 10, but no higher then 8 and should not be the game of the year.

#41 Posted by JasonR86 (9724 posts) -

That's nice.

#42 Edited by emem (1974 posts) -

I personally don't care that he thinks TWD and Journey don't deserve to be on that list. However, what I find unacceptable is that he (the editor-in-chief of GT) basically says that the amount of money and people behind a game and the scope of it is more important than the quality of a game. And to me personally (if he really means that, maybe he just said it without thinking about it) he lost all credibility.

#43 Posted by Nev (561 posts) -

Oh? Well I'm sure that guy's pretty happy about that opinion. I personally have never heard of him and don't give a damn, though. He can think what he wants, and I'll continue to think Walking Dead is a decent game that is at least up there as one of the best games of the year.

#44 Posted by Sackmanjones (4761 posts) -

That son of a bitch.

#45 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

While I believe he has a right to his own opinion, the reasons he listed are kind of dumb.

#46 Posted by Demoskinos (15135 posts) -

I don't think TWD is GOTY either. Come at me bro. Is this news? Really?

#47 Posted by Subjugation (4740 posts) -

Dude is entitled to his opinion. I'm not sure what you're trying to do with this.

#48 Posted by Milkman (17312 posts) -

This is stupid for many reasons but the biggest may be that The Walking Dead is as long/longer as a full package than most "AAA games."

#49 Posted by Milkman (17312 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

Dude is entitled to his opinion. I'm not sure what you're trying to do with this.

This thread does a bad job of showing it but it's his reasoning that is stupid. He says that The Walking Dead and Journey shouldn't be considered for GOTY because they're not as long as most "AAA games." Which, in the Walking Dead's case, is just straight up false.

#50 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I'd agree because my experience was plagued with technical issues throughout every episode besides the final one.

Great game though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.