So just played through episode 1 since it was free. *spoilers*

#1 Posted by Demoskinos (15119 posts) -

First off I'm not seeing this being at GOTY level but its beat down my cynicism about the game enough for me to contemplate getting the rest of the episodes. Also, at the results screen it showed that i did things that I didn't. I lied to Hershel and it said I told the truth and I sided with Kenny and defended Duck yet it said I sided with Larry at the results screen um... what? So I hope if I do go for episode 2 and beyond that it imports my stuff correctly.

#2 Posted by kerse (2118 posts) -

Yeah I played episode one yesterday and its not really impressive. I got through 3 today and I'm definitely liking it a lot more, but still not my goty. You gotta play through episode 2 at least before you can judge it I feel like, because the first episode is just kinda boring. Or at least it was for me.

#3 Posted by Yummylee (22304 posts) -

Yeah, there's a bug in there concerning how it read some of your decisions unfortunately. It also doesn't register the choices you meant to make, either, as I can distinctly remember Kenny referencing that I apparently sided with Larry to abandon Duck. Fortunately that only occurred in Episode 1, but it's still a shame to see that such a bug still exists after all this time.

#4 Posted by Demoskinos (15119 posts) -

@Yummylee: Well that is unfortunate. =\

#5 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

Doubt anyone in the world would make the game GOTY based on the first episode. It's the package as a whole that impresses and the conclusion that seals the deal.

#6 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5381 posts) -

The first episode is the weakest.

#7 Posted by Demoskinos (15119 posts) -

So this is real dumb but....how do you start episode 2? Went to the 360 dashboard after the credits roll and purchased the other 4 episodes since they were on sale and when I scroll to episode 2 and hit play it simply starts me at the final checkpoint in Episode 1 then credit rolls then goes to the title screen. Um... what?

#8 Edited by LackingSaint (1849 posts) -

First episode is by far the worst. Walking Dead is my game of the year but I still think of episode 1 as kind of a chore, the following episodes are what make the game great. I'd say it goes 3 > 5 = 2 > 4 > 1.

#9 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6999 posts) -

Your game sounds really, really buggy. :/

#10 Posted by TurboMan (7696 posts) -

@MetalGearSunny: I played it on PS3 with absolutely no problems.

@Demoskinos: No clue what you meant there... maybe turn the game on/off?

Episode 1 does a decent job of setting up characters, but it's extremely weak compared to the rest of the package as a whole. There's a lot of infuriating moments looking back at episode 1 (A batteries puzzle? honestly?).

From Episode 2, you get a terrific off-story the sets up the state of the world

Episode 3 is all kinds of fucked.

Episode 4 reveals your eventual fate

Episode 5 sticks the landing.

Please don't base your experience off of episode 1 alone... it's like judging a Legend of Zelda game off of the first two hours.

#11 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6999 posts) -

@TurboMan said:

@MetalGearSunny: I played it on PS3 with absolutely no problems.

I played it on PS3 and there were some terrible frame rate problems. Maybe because I played the disk version?

#12 Posted by Humanity (9881 posts) -

I thought episode 1 was pretty boring and episode 2 was very stereotypical. I mean the moment you get to that farm you already know what is going to happen. Episode 3 was pretty good and episode 4 was good in some places and really boring and long winded in others.

I'm about to embark on episode 5 later today and finish this out and I hope it's decent, although from what I hear most people don't consider it one of the strongest episodes and as the last one I think it should be.

#13 Posted by gaminghooligan (1478 posts) -

It's a good game, and the story is strong, it still doesn't compare (for me) to XCom, Dishonored, Far Cry 3, Journey, Sleeping Dogs and the other on my GOTY list.

#14 Posted by xMEGADETHxSLY (446 posts) -

Played ALLL 5 ep, really cheesy dialogue. I dont like the dumb decisions that ALMOST EVERY zombie Fiction does. Have a people make dumb decisions when there is a zombie Apocalypse You can watch anything that has to deal with zombie and find those DUMB MAKING decisions people. Really terrible action scenes and controls, but i barred through it to see the story. DO i have no soul cause this was damn boring, But i an 500g stronger

#15 Posted by MX (246 posts) -

Just finished Episode 3 and while there are other games that I have played this year, that are better games. No story in a game made me want to curl up in a corner in featus position when presented with a though choice like the walking dead.

#16 Posted by Zippedbinders (1030 posts) -

I ended up getting it when it was on sale on the 360, and just finished episode 4.

I should say that I'm playing it in a group setting, so we're all weighing in on choices. Initial thoughts during episode 1 is that I'm a horrible person, because I and my group of friends burst out laughing a good three or four times. I haven't felt like any one episode is stronger than the others, they all feel about the same quality. Unless five really wows me, I think I'll be a little confused at exactly the reaction this game is getting. I haven't been left with the same harrowing moments people seem to be having, despite realizing how fucked some of the scenarios are. Its a great game, no doubt, but it doesn't feel as strong as Devil's Playhouse for Telltale writing standards. Then again, I love that game almost too much.

I'd say what I appreciate the most about this game is that the characters are actually people, they are average joes and janes in horrible circumstances, even if some of their motivations are forced to drive conflict in the plot.

#17 Edited by handlas (2722 posts) -

Play episode 2. Your mind might change. It was my second favorite of the five and the reason why I couldn't wait to play the rest.

If story and characters are not your thang when it comes to games though then this is not the game for you. The "gameplay" in most of the episodes felt a bit like a chore sometimes. Lee really needed a run option! Hurry it up some.

#18 Posted by Milkman (17204 posts) -

@xMEGADETHxSLY said:

Played ALLL 5 ep, really cheesy dialogue. I dont like the dumb decisions that ALMOST EVERY zombie Fiction does. Have a people make dumb decisions when there is a zombie Apocalypse You can watch anything that has to deal with zombie and find those DUMB MAKING decisions people. Really terrible action scenes and controls, but i barred through it to see the story. DO i have no soul cause this was damn boring, But i an 500g stronger

Really cheesy dialogue? You know, sometimes I doubt if some people even know what words mean and just decide "I don't want to like this thing. What's a negative word I could use?"

#19 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

Yeah, there's a bug in there concerning how it read some of your decisions unfortunately. It also doesn't register the choices you meant to make, either, as I can distinctly remember Kenny referencing that I apparently sided with Larry to abandon Duck. Fortunately that only occurred in Episode 1, but it's still a shame to see that such a bug still exists after all this time.

Kenny is not a bug.

You think it is, but then the rest of the season happens and you realize it isn't.

#20 Posted by Fearbeard (834 posts) -

Episode 1 is mostly set up. I think things really pick up in episode 2 which is my favorite of the season. I think the crew nailed it in the Walking Dead award with 2, 3, and 4 being the best episodes.

#21 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

Episode 1 really only has two rough situations that make you go "Oh shit..."

And they are NOTHING in comparison to what comes next in each episode after. The rest of the episodes, with the possible exception of four, fuck with your emotions in a truly fantastic way.

#22 Posted by Superfriend (1579 posts) -

If you have a decent PC, you can get all the episodes at a discount on Steam pretty regularly. I paid something like 12 bucks for the whole thing and it sure was worth it. Trust me, the story alone makes it worth the money.

Didn´t run into any major bugs, almost no stuttering, no weird audio issues. Wasn´t really impressed with the gameplay parts, but I enjoyed walking around and getting some old school adventure comments on the things around you. This game is worth getting. It´s a great experience. Now, if it belongs on GAME of the year lists.. that depends on your tolerance for "interactive entertainment" type games.

#23 Posted by Demoskinos (15119 posts) -

So I've played through episode 3 now. I've got thoughts o' plenty about this but I think I'm going to save em' for a proper blog post. I've been still even with spoilers surprised by a few things. Hopefully I'll get through episodes 4 and 5 tomorrow.

#24 Posted by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

@TurboMan said:

@Demoskinos: No clue what you meant there... maybe turn the game on/off?

Episode 1 does a decent job of setting up characters, but it's extremely weak compared to the rest of the package as a whole. There's a lot of infuriating moments looking back at episode 1 (A batteries puzzle? honestly?).

Remember muffling a damn gunshot with a pillow? A pillow!

#25 Posted by Demoskinos (15119 posts) -

Just finished episode 5. I think I need to go lie down and cry in a corner or something. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.