So...Telltale "hopes" to release Ep. 2 by the end of June...wtf?!

• 54 results
#1 Edited by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -

There are spoilers about the second episode at the link provided.  

Apparently escapistmagazine got a preview of it at E3

Today we got a look at the first twenty minutes of episode two, which Telltale is hoping will be released at the end of June. 

Source

So much for the rumored "1 episode a month" deal.  

As someone who has never bought a telltale game before, this is what i hate about season passes and incremental releases. They should come with some kind of tentative date/schedule as far as when they release their content rather than feeling like they'll release whenever they choose. Even if they push back the date as the dates approach, its better than just sitting here twiddling thumbs waiting to get an idea when the next part comes out
#2 Posted by MysteriousFawx (382 posts) -

All I can hear in my head is the intro voiceover guy going 'Previously on AMC's The Walking Dead....' then cutting to a shot of people just waiting

#3 Posted by Galiant (2164 posts) -

That sucks. I was hoping to play it soon!

#4 Posted by Phatmac (5686 posts) -

You really can't wait until the end of June? While this sucks, I think you'll be able to bear to wait to play a video game. It sucks, but it really isn't a big deal.

#5 Posted by TooWalrus (12978 posts) -

What the FUCK! How dare they take their time! Suck my fat, veiny, throbbing cock, Telltale!

#6 Posted by Yummylee (20590 posts) -

@MysteriousFawx said:

All I can hear in my head is the intro voiceover guy going 'Previously on AMC's The Walking Dead....' then cutting to a shot of people just waiting

Fun fact: the ''previously on AMCs' The Walking Dead'' guy is the same guy who voiced KillBane in Saints Row The Third.

Oh, and super excited for the next 'episode' of the walking dead. I'm OK with waiting a couple more weeks, though. Lollipop Chainsaw and Lego Batman 2 inbetween then to keep me occupied.

#7 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4286 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

What the FUCK! How dare they take their time! Suck my fat, veiny, throbbing cock, Telltale!

Not the point. The fact that they released the first episode and promised one episode per month when they haven't even done any work on episodes 3, 4, 5, or 6 is the problem. In any episodic industry, you get a pipeline of multiple episodes in the can. By the time they released episode one, episode six should have been either started or mostly complete.

Telltale fucked the pooch on this. It's unprofessional.

#8 Posted by Phatmac (5686 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

Is this kind of language really necessary?

#9 Posted by TooWalrus (12978 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

@TooWalrus said:

Is this kind of language really necessary?

Nah, but the OP's "what the fuck" in the thread title made me want to respond in kind. This is kinda a minor issue to rage about.

#10 Posted by NegativeCero (2927 posts) -

I thought I remember hearing some podcast say they already had a few episodes done when the first episode came out. Guess not.

#11 Posted by Heartagram (1179 posts) -

It is a pretty big bummer. Then again I haven't played through Diablo 3 yet and I have Witcher 2 from gamefly so I have plenty of things to play now. Theres always UMVC3 and SfxT as well.

#12 Posted by LordAndrew (13990 posts) -

They're learning from Valve and Sega.

#13 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (469 posts) -

As long as it's as good as the first episode i'm cool with this. Beside i've got a ton of free PSN+ games to last me till then.

#14 Posted by AndrewB (7194 posts) -

@LordAndrew said:

They're learning from Valve and Sega.

What's the formula for converting Telltale Time to Valve Time?

#15 Posted by Hunkulese (2528 posts) -
@Oldirtybearon Are you high?
#16 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

This is pretty annoying because I was looking forward to episode 2, if they don't speed it up I'm unlikely to finish all the episodes as other games will be out.

#17 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7612 posts) -

Telltale games have always been the same format. They aim to release one episode per month, but sometimes they require a bit more work and need an extra month.

I don't think it's a big deal, they made this very clear from the start and I don't think you have to worry about this turning into Sonic 4 or anything.

#18 Posted by Breadfan (6586 posts) -

Bummer. Enjoyed episode one, but if it takes too long for them to release future episodes I might lose interest.

#19 Posted by S0ndor (2715 posts) -

RAAARGH, they are taking their time to make this a memorable experience! Curse those fuckers for making me wait a few extra days for ma vidya gamez! Why don't they just rush it out of the door? That always works, right?

#20 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4286 posts) -

@Hunkulese said:

Oh hey, another meandering sycophant who believes game companies aren't held to the same standards as all other entertainment mediums.

I suppose it is too much to ask for a modicum of professionalism and trust that Telltale had the foresight and strategy to plan and produce in advance. I don't know if you knew this, but the majority of episodes aren't even written yet. Should I repeat that once more, for the cheap seats?

The majority of episodes aren't even written yet.

Telltale pushed episode one out the door so they could get people's money without delivering a full product. They released a stellar first episode, yes, but they still held their hands out and asked for people to fork over the full amount with little more than a promise that the remaining episodes would release monthly. Now it looks like they probably won't even hit bi-monthly, if the way episode two has gone is any indication. If this is "acceptable" for you, then by all means, drop trow and spread 'em for the royal ass-fucking you're about to receive.

The thing is, if they charged five-ten bucks for the first episode, that'd be fine, but the majority of people who purchased The Walking Dead bought the season pass (closer to thirty dollars). All of the episodes. Upfront. Now that Telltale can't hit their promised schedule, we're supposed to just roll over and forgive them for essentially taking the money and running? They should have had at least two or three episodes finished before releasing the first episode. Not having episodes in the can reeks of unprofessional behaviour and a lack of direction for the company.

#21 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

@S0ndor said:

RAAARGH, they are taking their time to make this a memorable experience! Curse those fuckers for making me wait a few extra days for ma vidya gamez! Why don't they just rush it out of the door? That always works, right?

They should definately take their time to get it right, but the whole episodic structure is based on trust. Most of us paid money for all the episodes in advance, thinking we would get approx one episode a month. They should've been nearly done with episode 2 when episode 1 came out. The delay on episode 2 makes it very likely that episode 3 will take more time too.

I would be more understanding if we were at the last few episodes, because it's hard to plan ahead that far, but already taking twice as long as planned on episode 2 doesn't look good at all.

#22 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1450 posts) -

bummer ... I was wondering where the second episode is. I hope they just have a little catching up to do and the rest will be out on a monthly basis.

#23 Posted by Sarx (112 posts) -

I am guessing they are holding off episode 2 so they have more time for producing the later episodes. After all weeks earlier TT said "oh there are just tiny little issues left in ep2" and from this point onwards: silence.

#24 Posted by Krummey (195 posts) -

This is particularly frustrating, as this is the first time I've ever actually been in a position to wait on one of their games. I've usually just purchased them when they were finished with the season. Oh well, guess I'll finally get around to BttF while I'm waiting.

#25 Posted by Brendan (7521 posts) -

I get why people wouldn't be happy about this. If you ask for money up front (season pass) with the promise of an episodic schedule, and don't commit to that schedule, that is unprofessional and shouldn't really happen. I don't think its the worst thing in the world by a long shot, but it is another example of a poorly implemented episode structure that doesn't inject confidence in me for the strategy.

#26 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Hunkulese said:

Oh hey, another meandering sycophant who believes game companies aren't held to the same standards as all other entertainment mediums.

I suppose it is too much to ask for a modicum of professionalism and trust that Telltale had the foresight and strategy to plan and produce in advance. I don't know if you knew this, but the majority of episodes aren't even written yet. Should I repeat that once more, for the cheap seats?

Telltale pushed episode one out the door so they could get people's money without delivering a full product. They released a stellar first episode, yes, but they still held their hands out and asked for people to fork over the full amount with little more than a promise that the remaining episodes would release monthly. Now it looks like they probably won't even hit bi-monthly, if the way episode two has gone is any indication. If this is "acceptable" for you, then by all means, drop trow and spread 'em for the royal ass-fucking you're about to receive.

The thing is, if they charged five-ten bucks for the first episode, that'd be fine, but the majority of people who purchased The Walking Dead bought the season pass (closer to thirty dollars). All of the episodes. Upfront. Now that Telltale can't hit their promised schedule, we're supposed to just roll over and forgive them for essentially taking the money and running? They should have had at least two or three episodes finished before releasing the first episode. Not having episodes in the can reeks of unprofessional behaviour and a lack of direction for the company.

how is it taking the money and running at all? they are clearly rolling out new and great episodes. and why would it be better to buy just one episode (which is $5) compared to the whole season ($20 on psn). you have to assume the vast majority of people who play the first are going to continue, and are going to wait the same amount of time as the season-passers.. just for more overall money. and frankly, $20 for a unique and well-made 10 hour experience is an inceredible deal. telltale are totally forgiven for taking their time to ensure it holds to their level of quality.

#27 Posted by ADAMWD (502 posts) -

Hopefully they get the framerate issues fixed.

#28 Edited by jozzy (2041 posts) -

@killacam said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Hunkulese said:

how is it taking the money and running at all? they are clearly rolling out new and great episodes. and why would it be better to buy just one episode (which is $5) compared to the whole season ($20 on psn). you have to assume the vast majority of people who play the first are going to continue, and are going to wait the same amount of time as the season-passers.. just for more overall money. and frankly, $20 for a unique and well-made 10 hour experience is an inceredible deal. telltale are totally forgiven for taking their time to ensure it holds to their level of quality.

I guess I don't have as much faith as you do that the other episodes will make good on the promise of the first. I hope they do, but we are only on episode 2 and we are already dealing with huge delays. Like I said, episode 2 should've been as good as ready when they released the first, if they actually wanted to make good on (calendar) monthly episodes later on in the season. It reeks of bad planning, it reeks of the game ending up costing way more to develop than originally planned. A more cynical man would point out that they got the majority of the money up front, and that nothing will stop them from rushing the last couple of episodes to get it all over with. I don't think it will be that bad, but I am willing to bet that when the season is all over there will be a lot of disappointed gamers.

#29 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

i'm all for cynicism in general, but it seems like there's a contradiction there.. if they were of the mindset that they can just slack off now since they have most of their money, i doubt they'd be taking so long to ensure a quality episode. i see where your fears may come to fruition a few episodes down the road, but they have so much to prove with this series after the jurassic park fiasco i can't see them just shoveling it out. those who were following the game's production knew that they were more or less writing as they went. and when it inevitably turns out that your choices don't matter as much as they want you to believe they will it won't be much of a surprise or disappointment. we do live in a post mass effect 3 world, after all.

#30 Edited by jakob187 (21508 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

Great. Now the image of a fat, veiny, throbbing walrus cock is mixed in with zombie massacre...inside of my head. You fucker.

Also, quit your whining, OP. At least you aren't waiting on Half-Life Episode 3.

#31 Posted by august (3811 posts) -

Sometimes games come out late.

#32 Posted by ch3burashka (4909 posts) -

I've learned patience from the games industry. I cannot personally do anything to expedite the process, so I'll just wait for when it comes out. If anything, that means I can play other shit while I wait for what I really want.

#33 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4866 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@hbkdx12 said:

They should come with some kind of tentative date/schedule as far as when they release their content rather than feeling like they'll release whenever they choose. Even if they push back the date as the dates approach, its better than just sitting here twiddling thumbs waiting to get an idea when the next part comes out

They do have a tentative schedule, it's one episode per month. However, that schedule IS TENTATIVE.

They're usually within a week of the 30-day milestone in my experience. Sometimes they aren't. Tentative.

Yeah, anyone who thinks they will evenly spread out these episodes per month is insane, things pop up when it's such a small timespan.

#34 Posted by evanbower (1206 posts) -

@killacam said:

i'm all for cynicism in general, but it seems like there's a contradiction there.. if they were of the mindset that they can just slack off now since they have most of their money, i doubt they'd be taking so long to ensure a quality episode. i see where your fears may come to fruition a few episodes down the road, but they have so much to prove with this series after the jurassic park fiasco i can't see them just shoveling it out. those who were following the game's production knew that they were more or less writing as they went. and when it inevitably turns out that your choices don't matter as much as they want you to believe they will it won't be much of a surprise or disappointment. we do live in a post mass effect 3 world, after all.

Also, lets not talk about this as if this is Telltale's first attempt at episodic gaming. I can see blaming a new studio for "taking the money and running" for upfront payment for content that isn't made yet.. but, and I have lost count here, this is at least the ninth time that Telltale has done this sort of payment structure for an episodic title. If that were their intentions, they could have taken our money and ran long ago.

#35 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

Telltale really needs to get better at this episodic thing, considering it's how they release most of their games.

#36 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -

*sigh*

Shame on me for thinking the internet wouldn't attempt to mitigate my post into one of the stupidest arguments possible.

My OP wasn't one of impatience. It was annoyance at not keeping with their word AND lack of communication in them not being able to do so. 

I'm sure most of the people who bought season passes did so with the notion that new content every month was reasonable. Those season pass numbers might not have been so high if telltale said they were going to be releasing a new episode every other month or essentially "whenever it was ready"

And granted i'm no game dev/pub but i don't understand the logic of releasing the first part of a 5 part game knowing that at least the second part isn't completed as well

#37 Posted by BionicRadd (617 posts) -

@Sooty said:

This is pretty annoying because I was looking forward to episode 2, if they don't speed it up I'm unlikely to finish all the episodes as other games will be out.

Other games are always out. Other games are out now. Im sure youll be able to squeeze in 2 hours for an episode of The Walking Dead.

#38 Edited by ds8k (412 posts) -

As soon as I heard that they were still writing Episode 2 when the first had just come out I knew there was going to be problems with releases. To start an episodic release schedule with zero buffer is just idiotic and does nothing to support the episodic model. If one company had it right, it was Telltale.

All of you saying that they shouldn't rush it out don't understand - take too long to release your games and people are going to forget and lose interest. It's not about them "rushing it out of the door," it's about them having a schedule. If episode 2 hadn't even been written yet then they shouldn't have put out episode 1.

At least somebody else gets it...

#39 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@BionicRadd said:

@Sooty said:

Other games are always out. Other games are out now. Im sure youll be able to squeeze in 2 hours for an episode of The Walking Dead.

I can barely find the time (or rather, motivation) to play an hour of any game lately, and I meant other games I'm interested in of course.

The only game I've actually played in weeks is MvC3. Yikes.

#40 Posted by DonutFever (3515 posts) -

I don't think they promised it once per month. I'm pretty sure we all just assumed that based on their other games. Could be wrong though.

#41 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (931 posts) -

I don't expect much from them when they give a release date/range anymore. I used to wait a lot during the Sam and Max, BTTF days and let's just say they REALLY just get by either the last day of the month or 2 days after.

Just give them time, the last time they rush released Sam and Max, the game wasn't really working properly.

#42 Posted by doomguy64 (18 posts) -

I guess I can wait. I may replay the first episode to change a few of my outcomes.

#43 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (2599 posts) -

I was hoping for early June but it was kind of expected. On that Walking Dead bombcast special didn't they mention on the lines that episode 2 was in the early stages of development or possibly still being written? That was like what, mid to late April I'm thinking. Getting something on that level completed in a months time is pretty difficult if true.

#44 Posted by MachoFantastico (4307 posts) -

I can wait, as long as it's polished that's all that matters really. So stop ya moaning. 

#45 Posted by Evilmetal (468 posts) -

doesn't this 'episodic' game model seem "played out" ?  

Initially wasn't the logic that Telltale develop games episodically, for funding reasons?  They've got money now. They've expanded from Sam and Max and developed other games. Was it not the case that Telltale couldn't get the original Sam and Max voices because they couldn't sign a deal with the original voice actors to do episodes? that Telltale didn't have the funding for all at once payment; but only on a per-episode basis?

Why continue with episodes? 

With the Walking Dead, they sold the game at full cost but only gave their customers the first of five parts. You give your money up front for an incomplete product? or did they complete it? does anyone know what state it's even in? People are giving money to a black hole?

It's a sneaky trick/tactic on their part to extend the marketing for their game. If they released the entire game in one fell swoop, it would initially sell well and then taper off within the first few months. Episodically the hype of the game is extended, unwarranted, and whenever they release an episode [months apart] they 'breathe new life' into the game with 'new' content.  But it's not new content. It's content they are indebted to release, but they use it as a way to reinvigorate sales.   

Maybe if they release a complete game people will think it's of low value, as a whole?  Players would critique it as any other game and would say "It was a short one play through type of game" ?  This is the only way these types of games [no multiplayer, little replayability] can exist in today's market?

#46 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -
@Evilmetal: My understanding is that episode 2 isn't even finished yet. From what i can gather, the reason they do "episodically" where they work on each episode after the previous one is released, is so that they can better fine tune the experience based on stat tracking and what people did and the choices they made.
#47 Posted by Superfriend (1458 posts) -

I will buy this when the whole season is available. So far, I´ve managed to avoid any bigger spoilers and I would like to enjoy the whole thing from start to finish in a couple of days rather than a couple of months.

Sucks for the people who are waiting.. but Telltale are usually pretty good about releasing episodes on time. Some might say they´re the only ones who do the episodic format right. But my experience is limited to the first two seasons of Sam&Max, so they could have fucked up some other thing I guess...

#48 Posted by spiceninja (3052 posts) -

Gary says he's still writing for episode 4 so I doubt these will be coming once a month if they haven't even finished writing the 4th episode. Episode 2 should be out next week though. It's been submitted for certification.

#49 Posted by DonutFever (3515 posts) -
@PlasmaBeam44 said:

Gary says he's still writing for episode 4 so I doubt these will be coming once a month if they haven't even finished writing the 4th episode. Episode 2 should be out next week though. It's been submitted for certification.

No, that usually how Telltale goes. They already have a rough idea of what happens, so there have probably been people designing the areas it takes place in for a while.
#50 Posted by ShaggE (5988 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Hunkulese said:

They always do this. The only game they pre-finished, as far as I can recall, is Jurassic Park. And there's almost always been a month-long buffer between episodes 1 and 2. I'm not saying it's ideal, but people are acting like this is unprecedented.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.